Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Peg33463
Default RCL vs Celebrity

Does anyone know if the perks are the same for Celebrity cruises as one gets on Royal Caribbean. We're diamond members on Royal and enjoy all the perks that are given to us. What is Celebrity's like? We have heard that you get the same perks. Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Peg33463,

Does anyone know if the perks are the same for Celebrity cruises as one gets on Royal Caribbean. We're diamond members on Royal and enjoy all the perks that are given to us. What is Celebrity's like? We have heard that you get the same perks. Thanks for the info

There are some differences between perks of Celebrity's "Captain's Club" and Royal Caribbean's "Crown & Anchor Society." The stated policy is that members of each group receive the perks of the corresponding level when travelling on the other line. As a "Diamond" member of the "Crown & Anchor Society," my understanding is that you'll be entitled to the benefits of "Elite" members of the "Captain's Club" when travelling on Celebrity.

Norm.
Old August 19th, 2006, 09:39 PM
First Mate

perks are better on Royal...but you'll get some free events , parties, priority tender boarding , coupons, give aways etc. No concierge lounge on the ships ....& not as good discounts Overall though it will be a finer on board experience....in terms of service, amenities & dining excellence.
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Beginner

Thank you Norm and First Mate for your replies. We have a better understanding now after reading your replies. Yes, we know that Celebrity is a class cruise, notably the food. We enjoy the mega ships on RCL, but like some of the destinations that Celebrity offer.
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Admiral

The food on Celebrity is second to none. Truly outstanding. Have a great cruise,,,,wish we could join you!

Ken
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:46 PM
Familiar Face

Peg, we are Elite members and are asking the same questions about Diamond Class. We're sailing RCL in 2 weeks. You will find that Celebrity offers some fantastic perks, including the Bordeau blending/sampling, thalassotherapy pool, and behind the scenes tours. You should call the Captains Club if you want more information 1-800-760-0654...or, you can be pleasently surprised as you are handed a glass of champagne the moment you board. Truely a delightful experience that is first cabin all the way.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:46 AM
Beginner

rasul mama, thanks for your reply,

Yes, we too are Captain Club members with Celebrity, so we're aware of the standards set by Celebrity. With RCL you get special invitations to private cocktail parties, special "goodies" platter delivered to your cabin, a coupon book with many special discounts for various purchases, including free internet service. Near the end of the trip, you will receive a special gift ie. a cosmetic or shaving travel bag, a travel bag which you wear around your waist, a handy carry on bag. These are a few of "gifts" we have received and they are always nice. There is also the Concierge club, which you get a special key to enter this room. It's only for Diamond members or suite guests. We enjoy going there to meet other guests, free drinks, hor'dorves (? excuse me, I can't for world spell that now that I want to) It's open for breakfast, from 5pm to 8 or 9pm. The Concierge will make any arrangements you need on the trip. It's a wonderful perk.

We too are leaving on Labor Day weekend for RCL trip and again in January on another RCL trip. Enjoy your trip and thanks for the reply.
Peggy
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Peg33463,

Yes, we know that Celebrity is a class cruise, notably the food.

Celebrity is indeed noted for culinary excellence, and deservedly so. Nonetheless, cuisine is very much a matter or personal taste and Celebrity's menus -- you can count on French, French, French, French, French, French, and French at dinner on a seven night cruise -- tend to get old quickly if French is not your favorite style of cuisine. The specialty restaurants also do not provide an escape, as they also serve French cuisine. Those who are not fond of French cuisine will welcome the alternatives at breakfast and lunch, including the pizza and pasta bars or windows (depending upon the class of ship). On my most recent cruises, the pasta has been outstanding!

Norm.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 06:37 PM
First Mate

Norm,Do not forget the sushi bar open eanh cocktail hour in the Lido area.Am still impressed with Celebrity pastries and in particular the croissants in the am with breakfest.Desserts are to die for and I feel this is one of their main strengths. There is no question that food appears to be at the top of many cruisers list and where you hear the most comments either posative or negative.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:43 PM
Admiral

big apple,

Do not forget the sushi bar open eanh cocktail hour in the Lido area.

Yes, but the sushi bar is not exactly unique to Celebrity and probably no better or worse than on ohter lines.

Am still impressed with Celebrity pastries and in particular the croissants in the am with breakfest.Desserts are to die for and I feel this is one of their main strengths.

Again, I don't see this as unique or superior to other lines. In my experience (13 cruises on Princess and 7 on Celebrity so far), Princess's desserts and pasteries were every bit as good as Celebrity's. I can't spek for other cruise lines.

There is no question that food appears to be at the top of many cruisers list and where you hear the most comments either posative or negative.

Absolutely, but I'll say again that food is very much a matter of personal taste. I think that the quality of the food on Celebrity is similar what I experienced on Princess, and I think that Princess's menus offered much more variety with "theme" menus (Italian, French, and on longer cruises German, Greek Russian, etc.) on most "casual" and "semiformal" evenings. Princess's "Sailaway" (first night) and "Landfall" (last night) menus were basically American, and they really pulled out all the stops on the "formal" evenings. Princess's featured entrees on the last "formal" evening invariably included Beef Wellington, Roast Pheasant, and Now England Lobster Tails. I'm not sure why I don't recall the fish and the vegetarian selection on that menu, not that I recall ever seeing anybody order it....

Norm.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Having sailed on a Royal Caribbean and then the Celebrity Century I can only tell you that the Century is class all the way.. the sevice is outstanding...the food is great, especially the meats and desserts, but the main difference is in he attitude of the staff..on he Century.. We will probably cruiise it again next year...
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Have to agree with Norm again...food is such a personal thing...can't tell you how many times I've read on this CruiseMate's board, where some just can praise enough Celebrity's food, others hate RCCI's and then there are those swearing that HAL's cuisine is just plain bland.

It's really a matter of personal taste. We've been on all the above and have found plus and minuses on all the ships.

We've actually enjoyed all of them for different reasons. Only one time did we have a serious complaint, and that was on RCCI Radiance of the Seas. The food in the Buffet was extremely salty. THAT has been our only serious complaint in 6 cruises.

Actually, we think that the cruiselines do pretty well overall providing interesting well presented meals. And they even offer healthy alterative meals for those of us silly enough to want to diet on a cruise -
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Let's not go overboard..first there is no question service overall in all areas the Century was above and beyond.. The food for breakfast is the usual...lunch in the dining room or the upstairs buffet is delightful.. I was rather disappointed in their treatment of fish courses.. being a New Englander.. I'm pretty fussy, especially their clam chowder and their caribbean lobster.. Their soups were not always up to par compared to the NCL ships we have sailed.. yes, Norm..NCL has some great soups... especially the chilled soups.. As a Bostonian...I'm accustomed to some really great foods.. One of the things I found a disappointment was the bread baskets... again comparing it to NCL.. Repeatng myself II say the quality of the meats were incredible (it has to do with the vendors at ports also)..One of the great secrets in cruising has always been the lunch in the dining room and on the Century we found the usual brilliant surprises..whether it was a great fish luncheon or our very favorite osso bucca which is difficult to find. Then again, it's the ship, the particular Chef which makes or breaks a dining meal.. Yes, they all have the same menu... but I'm sure they add their particular touches. As we cooks all know... we can follow a particular recipe and each one of the cooks will have a different result, a little this, a little bit of that. Hope to cruise either the Century or the Millineum next year and will be interesting to see if it's the same quality again
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
First Mate

Norm,The original post was the food RCL vs Century and in my opinion Celebrity wins hands down based on my previous comments and as for the alternative restaurants our last two visits on rcl have hardly been worth the extra charge where as the food and service in the Olympic on the Millinnium was outstanding.Celebrity way above in this catagory and we are not bringing Princess inti this comparison.Will be on PRINCESS in 60 days for an update versus Celebrity.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:38 PM
Admiral

big apple,

Norm,The original post was the food RCL vs Century and in my opinion Celebrity wins hands down based on my previous comments and as for the alternative restaurants our last two visits on rcl have hardly been worth the extra charge where as the food and service in the Olympic on the Millinnium was outstanding.Celebrity way above in this catagory and we are not bringing Princess inti this comparison.Will be on PRINCESS in 60 days for an update versus Celebrity.

Sorry if you don't like the fact that I mentioned Princess, but I was trying to illustrate a point. I have not been on Royal Caribbean, but I have met quite a few veteran cruisrs who prefer Royal Caribbean's variety of menus to Celebrity's sameness day in and day out. Thus, I used Princess's menus for illustrative purposes instead.

Norm.
Old August 24th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

RCI and Celebrity are the only lines we cruise and until our June cruise on Jewel, I might have given X a tiny edge in the food dept. However, the food on Jewel was the absolute best we've had. Even the Windjammer was better. It just depends on the ship. For the most part my ratings for each line could be interchangeable. On our cruises we were wowed by the food each time, but even more this last time. Service has been super, shows, excursions, cabin stewards--you name it. You can't go wrong with either line. And contrary to popular opinion, Celebrity is not always more expensive than RCI.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.
1/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London
1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera
Old August 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are long time RCI cruisers(since the 1970's) and Celebrity ships form day one.
In our opinion the food on Celebrity is significantly better quality and taste. The service is also much more refined. As far as pricing , not much difference.
With the growing size of mega liners on RCI and packing of 3 or 4 thousand passengers aboard we have shifted to smaller ships with fewer passengers and less congestion.
Our favorite class of ship is the Century on Celebrity(70,000 ton range)
RCI has some older ships in this tonnage that also are attractive without holding 5000 people packed on one ship.