Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Familiar Face

Default Celebrity Casual dress for dinner

I think I have formal and informal down, but what exactly constitutes "casual dress" for dinner on Celebrity? Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Admiral

antiquehtr3,

I think I have formal and informal down, but what exactly constitutes "casual dress" for dinner on Celebrity? Thanks..

Gents wear a shirt with a collar (polo shirts, golf shirts, and sports shirts are okay) and slacks or khakis with shoes (not sneakers or sandals).

Ladies wear either a casual dress, such as a sun dress, or a top with either a skirt or slacks, and shoes in either case.

On the nights of the tropical deck parties (for cruises in the tropics), most gents wear a "Hawai'ian" print shirt and many ladies break out a dress in a similar print.

A sweater is optional for either.

Norm.
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Norm..we'll pack the Tommy Bahama's and the sundresses!
Old August 27th, 2006, 02:04 PM
First Mate

sounds perfect!
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

You Nailed it Norm!
Old September 16th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Beginner

Default Informal dress

Thanks for the info on casual dress. Could you help with the informal dress? It sounds similar to formal with the exception of a tux for men.

Thank you
Old September 17th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Admiral

jlbl,

Thanks for the info on casual dress. Could you help with the informal dress? It sounds similar to formal with the exception of a tux for men.

No, "informal" is nowhere near as dressy as "formal." Remember that the tier called "semiformal" is in between.

Traditionally, for gents,

>> "Formal" = dinner jacket ("tuxedo"),

>> "Semiformal" = business suit, and

>> "Informal" = sport coat and tie.

The boundaries have gotten a bit blurred in recent years, expecially with major cruise lines having adopted a modified definition of "formal" that admits dark business suits because most passengers did not own dinner jackets back in the 1970's, but remain substantially entact. The tie also became optional for gents' "informal" attire with the introduction of the turtleneck shirt. Basically, "informal" attire for gents now consists of a shirt with a collar (worn open if without a tie), dress slacks, and a sport coat. A necktie of bolo tie is optional, but most gents don't bother with it.

"Informal" attire for ladies has undergone a similar evolution, and now consists of either a fancy top with a dressy skirt or dress slacks or a cocktail dress. On "formal" evenings, you'll want either a full length dress or a "formal" (very fancy) cocktail dress -- the "formal" evenings are really occasions to dress "to the nines."

I should mention that Celebrity's communications on this are not reliable, as the line is currently publishing three different explanations as to what constitutes "informal" attire. The explanation in the pre-cruise information package does not match and the dress actually prescribed onboard the line's ships (in the "Celebrity Today" on the first day of the cruise), and the explanation on the line's web site does not match either. The standards published aboard ship obviously are the ones that actually govern. Nonetheless, I met one of the company's senior executives at a meeting of another company's stockholders this past week and specifically asked her to bring the problems in the line's communications to the attention of the executive committee, citing this as one of several examples of the problem. I hope that we will see some action.

Norm.
Old September 17th, 2006, 09:42 PM
First Mate

Just came back from QM 2 .. they really set the tone on Cunard & explain all the details--since these questions come up so much I am surprised celeb has not adjusted its guides in the brochures & in the daily newsletter. Casual is not backyard casual but elegant casual IMHO
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Celebrity Casual dress for dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquehtr3
Casual dress for me means dress slacks - not jeans - a short or long-sleeved dress shirt or golf shirt - tucked in. No tees; ties and jackets not required. Some passengers 'sneak' in with jeans sometimes and I have seen them turned away and, sometimes, permitted access.

For women, a nice pantsuit; slacks and blouse or sweater - again, no jeans or t-shirts or capris.
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Beginner

You can find the official line on "casual wear" for Celebrity here: http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/pages/pack.php

Old November 7th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Everybody,

Quote:
Originally Posted by I
I should mention that Celebrity's communications on this are not reliable, as the line is currently publishing three different explanations as to what constitutes "informal" attire. The explanation in the pre-cruise information package does not match and the dress actually prescribed onboard the line's ships (in the "Celebrity Today" on the first day of the cruise), and the explanation on the line's web site does not match either. The standards published aboard ship obviously are the ones that actually govern. Nonetheless, I met one of the company's senior executives at a meeting of another company's stockholders this past week and specifically asked her to bring the problems in the line's communications to the attention of the executive committee, citing this as one of several examples of the problem. I hope that we will see some action.
I must post an update to this. Aboard GTS Infinity during my recent cruise to Hawai'i, the standard for "Informal" attire stated that a necktie is required for gentlemen. Unfortunately, I heeded my own advise and did not bring either standard dress shirts or a necktie. Fortunately, one of the shops had nice neckties on sale for $10 so I found one that I could wear with a white or light blue golf shirts to get through the cruise.... only to discover that the staff did not enforce the necktie "requirement"....

Happy cruising, everybody!

Norm.
Old December 26th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

When I first started cruising I was quite concerned that I follow the dress code. However, as I have continued cruising (now 15 times on Celebrity alone) I realized that the "rules" are hardly ever followed, at least not very strictly. I see people dressed in all types of clothes regardless whether the code says it's Formal or Casual. I had seen jeans worn on formal nights and no one seemed to care. I am not sure if that is good or bad but I can tell you that I have become much more easy going about the "codes" and wear pretty much what I feel like wearing, within reason, of course. As long as the clothes are clean and not offensive to most passangers, I see no reason to get too complicated. After all, when you are on vacation you shouldn't feel stressed out by clothing choices. So, relax and enjoy the cruise experience.
Old December 31st, 2006, 02:11 PM
Beginner

Thank you for your response. I guess we'll just play it by ear.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:42 PM
Beginner

Just got off Infinity (South America) and I have to say I was quite upset about the lack of attention to dress codes. I'm not a snob, but I do believe that adherence to dress codes adds to the "ambiance" in the dining room. Celebrity says that jeans are not allowed at any time in the main dining room, but jeans were a common sight, even on formal nights. I would say about 50% of the people made an attempt to follow the dress code.
Celebrity should either change the rules or enforce them at some level, then at least we would know what we are signing up for when buying a cruise.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Beginner

Was on Infinity last winter for Panama Canal. Dress code was not enforced. A bit disappointing but can't say it was widespread.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:51 PM
Admiral

AlexaMike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Just got off Infinity (South America) and I have to say I was quite upset about the lack of attention to dress codes. I'm not a snob, but I do believe that adherence to dress codes adds to the "ambiance" in the dining room. Celebrity says that jeans are not allowed at any time in the main dining room, but jeans were a common sight, even on formal nights. I would say about 50% of the people made an attempt to follow the dress code.
Celebrity should either change the rules or enforce them at some level, then at least we would know what we are signing up for when buying a cruise.
I agree.

Now, the $64 question: did you write a comment about the failure/need to enforce the dress code on your passenger survey?

The survey forms do get read, and the company's management does act on matters that draw a significnat number of comments. If enough of us consistently write comments about these matters, the enforcement will come throughout the fleet.

Norm.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMike
Celebrity says that jeans are not allowed at any time in the main dining room, but jeans were a common sight, even on formal nights
Yikes ! We don't cruise Celebrity because we're not "dress up" people, but I'm amazed that people in jeans weren't turned away on formal night when they were wearing jeans (or on smart casual nights, for that matter!).

Celebrity has it's own following of people who like to "dress" appropriately. I'm curious (as was Norm). Did you write this info on your cruise survey?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Beginner

Yes, you bet I complained about this on the survey.[/quote]
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM
First Mate

You can bet that they will read many of the complaints and while attending a special function on Holland the ship,s hotel manager informed us that each day he turns on his computer and looks at the suggestions of past passengers.Am sure dress code is one area that has close scrutiny due to the many forums on this subject.
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Admiral

As long as RCL is turning a profit, your dress complaints will fall on deaf ears..thank goodness.
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:27 PM
First Mate

Thankgoodness there are those who still comply which is the norm on Holland not the exception and hopefully thiswill continue so as to offer a class act and not just any nite out on the town.
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Admiral

You paid for your cruise...wear jeans to the Dining Room, if you so desire....Been on 13 Celebrity cruises and have never seen anyone in jeans turned away on casual dress nights.. Be happy
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:59 PM
First Mate

Has nothing to do with the fact that you paid for your cruise.When it is all said and done the cruise line will make the final rule in this matter.Can give you numerous examples of those who have paid their money and still turned away at the front door.
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Admiral

Rick,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
You paid for your cruise...wear jeans to the Dining Room, if you so desire....Been on 13 Celebrity cruises and have never seen anyone in jeans turned away on casual dress nights.. Be happy
Sorry that you have not seen people turned away from Celebrity's main dining room for inappropriate attire, but some of us have.

And yes, that includes bluejeans on "casual" evenings.

Norm.
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Beginner

Thank you for responding. We cruise in March. I'm not sure why someone would not want to follow the dress codes. If they don't like dressing or not wearing jeans than perhaps they should try another cruise line. There are plenty of options.

I still think the informal wear is the hardest one to figure out, but I think I have it. I'm also not sure why everyone says that there are different dress codes listed on the ship than what is on-line or in your travel packet. That right there is enough of an issue to cause some problems.

Thank you again.
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Admiral

jlbl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thank you for responding. We cruise in March. I'm not sure why someone would not want to follow the dress codes. If they don't like dressing or not wearing jeans than perhaps they should try another cruise line. There are plenty of options.
Yes, that's exactly right -- and exactly what some of us have been saying on these boards for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I still think the informal wear is the hardest one to figure out, but I think I have it.
Why is that? Celebrity's published standard of dress for "informal" evenings (as published on the web site: "On informal nights, ladies may wear an informal dress or pants and blouse, while gentlemen may wear a jacket and tie with slacks.") seems quite clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I'm also not sure why everyone says that there are different dress codes listed on the ship than what is on-line or in your travel packet.
Factually, the Celebrity was publishing three different versions of the standards of dress. One was on the web site, another was in the precruise information package, and the tird was in the daily schedules aboard ship. Where such disparities exist, the version in the daily schedule is rightfully the one that controls.

On my last cruise, I noticed that the dres standards in the daily schedule had been revised to agree with the precruise information package. I may well be the person guilty of triggering this change, as I mentioned the problem to one of the company's senior executives while attending a stockholders' meeting of another corporation for which the executive served as a director.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
That right there is enough of an issue to cause some problems.
Yes, that's exactly what happened!

Norm.
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Beginner

If things have been straightened out and there is a simularity between on-line, package and on the ship that's wonderful. The more things are clear to people the better they are followed, at least by us.

I was on a cruise years ago and things have changed, but I'm looking forward to cruising again and getting back to it more frequently. It is by far the best experience and you are all the best for helping all of us who are not as experienced. We are the one's who hopefully inspire the younger folk to keep some traditons alive. Hey, I'm not old, I'm just getting started.

Thanks again.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Passenger

Failure to "enforce" the evening dress code is not limited to Celebrity; with few exceptions, it's pretty much industry-wide. The dumbing down of the dress code appears to be the cruise industry's response to its need to fill more and more berths as each new ship makes its debut, making it fiscally dangerous to alienate anyone with a heartbeat who may wish to sail.

That, however, does little to appease those of us who do comply with the suggested evening dress. I don't think anyone expects the clothing police to stand at the dining room door and pass judgement on who may or may not be allowed entrance; but, is it unreasonable to expect that someone who shows up on informal night in shorts, tee shirt, flip-flops and a cap turned sideways (as a "gentleman" did on our December Westerdam cruise) be directed toward an alternative dining venue? I don't think so.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:38 PM
First Mate

totally agree withyour comments and until the upper mgmt supports those who have to enforce the dress code rules ther will be an ongoing problem.The cruise lines have given those who do not want to dress the ocassion an alternative place to eat and now need to enforce their written code or survey to find out the opinion of their customers.By the way a pole was taken on Holland last year and it was determined the majority wanted to keep the formal nites.Now they should do some follow up and turn away those who are bucking the system period.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It's been a pet peeve of mine for several years... I don't appreciate the facade. The cruise lines pretend to have dress codes, and turn their eyes from those who disregard them.

I actually am not "attached" to having formal nights. But I hate when they pretend to have them.

Last spring we sailed NCL, and I enjoyed their "Freestyle", with country club casual as their only dress guide. Much less to pack, and we enjoyed that. NCL is being very innovative in their new ships....
and if they ever turn their attention to competing with Celebrity and other premium lines with their cruisine, Celeb and the others could be in serious trouble.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/