Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Beginner

Default Infinity, s. america, tours

Since there are several tours to see Penguins, how does one decide which to take. Also, which are the best and which ones should be avoided. Thanks for any information. We are sailing December 30th.
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Beginner

We are from the North west of england and are also booked on the trip commencing 30th december. we have been thru the Panama canal on the Infinity and were well satisfied with everything.

We honestly have no idea where the penguins are and which is the better trip to locate them. No doubt all will be revealed on board. Our main concern is that there will be sufficient english speaking passengers to strike up a conversation with. On a trip a few years ago around Brazil there were many Brazilians and Portuguese is the devil of a language to understand.

Any ideas?
Old October 17th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Not sure exactly where you are going, but we are on the Grand Princess 2.24.07 from Santiago to Buenos Aires.

What I have read is that the best spot to visit he penguins is on the Chili side and not on the Argentina side.

There are also two varities of penguins on each coast.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 18th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Beginner

We are traveling with another couple from U.S. so you will have at least four, probably a lot more, to talk with. We want to book the shore trips in advance.
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Beginner

We are two retired folk from the North west of England and we are also booked on the Infinity leaving Valparaiso 30th December. It's nice to know that there will be a few English speakers on board. As for penguins we don't have a clue which trip to take though the reviews we have read seem to indicate that the trip from Punto Tombo is somewhat arduous.

My view is that it might be best left to the Falklands though no doubt all will be revealed as we sail.

Hope to see you on board on day 3. After the many thousands of miles we'll have to travel we have to sleep days one and two!

Mike and Ros
Old October 29th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Passenger

we took a tour to see largest pengiun reserve--it was advertised that way--it was a 3-4 hour bus ride there and same back--with the same bushes one after another--no cities no house no gas station.It was quite a site.once we arrived..There were penguins all over the place.

3 bus loads left- as we approached the area--due to rains- we all became stuck on this dirt road(el nino-it never rains there).It took and hour or so toget buses out..

after spending time with penguins we started back--with a planned lunch stop at a sheep barn(yes i sad there was nothing) After a bit of ftime on the road our bus-just stopped.We ran out of gas..They took us all off the reg bus and putus on a school bus(It followed us emty for the entire trip)
One lady and man had to stand.My husband offered his seat to the lady.The gentleman replied--she likes to stand.We later learned he was staff captain on the ship AND HIS WIFE..wE CONTINUED TO LUNCH STOP.tHEY SYPHONED GAS OUT OF OTHER BUSES TO GET US BACK ON REG BUS.

we returned to the ship late (any with horrribly dirty shoes-mud)--they had held the ship of course..On the entire 14+ day trip we never left on time due to various difficulties.
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Beginner

Which tour was that and where? Will try to avoid.
Old December 26th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Beginner

Hey guys, I'm Brazilian, will be on Infinity with you and speak english very well, so I hope we meet and can talk a lot... About the penguins, yes there are lot of choices from Puerto Montt to the Falklands (as I read), and the Falklands seem to the be the nicest one, but a big issue raised is that as it is a tendered port, if it is a very windy day we may not be able to leave the ship, or will be able but will be an adventure to get there. So, if you do wanna see these beautiful animals, be sure to do it before Falklands, and if you do love to see them, then see them again there if we're lucky with the weather (hope we all are!).
See you on the 30th (or two days after!)
Fabiane
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Beginner

Looking forward to seeing you Fabiane. The Harts
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Admiral

These are the two that we are taking on our cruise ....

PUNTA ARENAS

The Penguin Colony

Visit Otway Bay, the site of a remote colony of Magellanic penguins.
WHAT YOU VISIT

Penguin Reserve - At the reserve, walk approximately one mile along an exposed, uneven shoreline path to the penguin burrows. From viewing areas, observe penguins along the shore as they await their mates with the afternoon catch. Return the same way to your motorcoach.

PORT STANLEY

Sparrow Cove Penguin Adventure

An outdoor adventure to see the penguins at Sparrow Cove, designed for the more active and adventurous passenger.
WHAT YOU VISIT

Penguin Reserve - On arrival at the reserve, walk approximately 300 feet over rough ground to view Gentoo penguins, and occasionally a small number of breeding pairs of King Penguins. (Please note, the tours in Punta Arenas and Puerto Madryn see Magellan Penguins).

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:25 AM
Beginner

are you on your cru9ise now?
I believe we are right behind you on the 14 January cruise. any experiences you care to share would be appreciated.
I usually read guide books and book my own or go myself. it;s pretty expensive to book the tours from the ship and it makes me feel like a tourist instead of a traveler.
thanks
cck
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Beginner

Just got home from the Dec 17 Infinity. We went on the Punta Tombo excursion from Puerto Madryn. It was a 2 hour bus ride each way, with about 2 hours spent with the penguins. Well worth the ride, IMHO. Penguins all over the place, even in the parking lot, with lots of chicks.
If I did it again, I would not take the Celebrity tour, just get a taxi at the pier.