Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Passenger

Default Celebrity Face-Lifts?

Does anyone know which Celebrity ships will be renovated or undergoing a face-lift?
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Admiral

At this point none have been announced and do not believe anything until Celebrity announces it. Just because a ship is going into drydock does not mean it is getting a facelift. The primary purpose of drydock is to take care of mechanical systems that can't be taken care of at sea. The only major thing announced is the new bedding program which will be completed fleetwide by the end of 2007.

Don
Old September 30th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Century just had a major face lift with balconies added, the Thallasotherapy pool removed and a persian garden added, a specialty restaurant and aqua spa cafe added, etc. '
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old October 1st, 2006, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired
]At this point none have been announced and do not believe anything until Celebrity announces it. Just because a ship is going into drydock does not mean it is getting a facelift. The primary purpose of drydock is to take care of mechanical systems that can't be taken care of at sea. The only major thing announced is the new bedding program which will be completed fleetwide by the end of 2007.
Your post reflects a couple points of misunderstanding that seem to be fairly widespread on these boards, so let me take the time to address them.

>> 1. The primary purpose of putting a ship into drydock is to work on the underwater portion of hull and external appendages that are not accessible when the ship is in the water. A "drydock" is a U-shaped well with a caisson similar to the gates of a lock system in a river or canal that closes across the open end so that the shipyard can pump out the water, making the underwater portion of the hull accessible for painting and external appendages, like Azipods, accessible for maintanance or repair work. It's fairly expensive to put a ship into drydock because the yard has to pump out the drydock, configure keel blocks properly to support the ship, flood the drydock, open the caisson, move the ship in, close the caisson, and pump out the drydock while using guy lines to keep the keel in the correct position to rest on the keel blocks, then rig staging so the yard personnel can reach the points that need work. At the end of the drydock, they have to reverse this process.

>> 2. Cruise ships often visit shipyards for maintenance without going into drydock. Most ships probably go into drydock about every second or third visit to the shipyard, primarily to scrape and paint the hull and to do maintenance on rudders and external bearings. Also, a ship that does go into drydock will remain in drydock only as long as necessary to do the portion of the work that requires drydocking. Once that portion of the work is done, the shipyard will refloat the ship and move it to a regular pier to make the drydock available for another vessel.

>> 3. Most ships do some refurbishment of interior spaces whenever they go into a shipyard. At the very least, they usually replace carpeting and other deck coverings in "high wear" areas do whatever painting and varnishing are needed while the shipyard work force is available to augment the work that the crew can do in the allotted time.

Norm.
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Rev:

I agree with you and that was pretty much what I said but a lot shorter. The only reason I mentioned what I did is many people on this and other boards are under the impression that when a ship goes into drydock they redo the whole ship. Look at all the threads on refurbishment of the ships. Posters are thrilled that the ship is going into drydock before their cruise and expect everything new on the ship. I just don't want people to be disappointed and would rather be honest.

Don
Old October 2nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Don,

I agree with you and that was pretty much what I said but a lot shorter.

Yes, I just thought that it was important to clarify a few details becasue I see the chronic references to shops "going into drydock" that indicate a lack of understanding and I know that you are not the only person who reads these threads.

BTW, as Enginering Officer of the Watch, I once caused a shipyard to stop flooding a drydock and start pumping it out again. The shipyard had replaced the main shaft seals (which wrap around the shafts where the shafts come through the hull), and a quarter-sized stream of water started flowing into the shaft alley when the water got up to the shafts. The shipyard got to do that job over! Fortunately, the shipyard got it right no the second try.

The only reason I mentioned what I did is many people on this and other boards are under the impression that when a ship goes into drydock they redo the whole ship. Look at all the threads on refurbishment of the ships. Posters are thrilled that the ship is going into drydock before their cruise and expect everything new on the ship.

Hmmm....

That's basically true, and the major cruise lines are refurbishing ships continously. They can do a lot of refurbishment even while the ship is operating. OTOH, there's also the reality that routine drydocking tends to occur during major yard visits because the cruise lines want to drydock ships as infreuqntly as possible, consistent with proper maintenance, due to the cost involved in getting a ship into and out of a drydock and thus will do as much maintenance as possible whenever the ship does go into drydock. Thus, yard visits for drydocking usually are long enough to do everything that needs doing while the ship is in the yards. OTOH, they tend not to do work that does not need to be done immediately and that can easily be done while the ship is underway or that can wait for the next regular yard visit to avoid the cost of replacing things prematurely. The emergency drydockings of the four vessels of the Millennium class for repairs to the Azipod units, which seem to occur about annually, are a complete aberration, but Celebrity probably uses those opportunities to refurbish anything that might be showing premature wear.

That said, the yard visit of MV Century earlier this year involved far more than normal routine refurbishment. During this visit, the shipyard did major modifications to the ship's design including construction of new balconies and several new cabins, installation of a "duck tail" on the aft end of the hull to provide additional bouyancy, installation of a speicalty restuarant in what was a portion of the plaza at the bottom of the atrium, and reconfiguration of several facilities to bring the ship up to the standards of the line's newer classes of vessels.

I just don't want people to be disappointed and would rather be honest.

Agreed, and the best counter to distortion is always fact.

Norm.
Old October 10th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Default Galaxy

Alll that being said.. what shape is the Galaxy in and how does she compare to the Century...I do know she has a covered pool...how about the service, food and entertainment...
Old October 10th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

Alll that being said.. what shape is the Galaxy in and how does she compare to the Century...I do know she has a covered pool...how about the service, food and entertainment...

I have yet to see a Celebrity ship that was not in good repair. You might occasionally see some evidence of wear on upholstery and carpeting in a public areas if you are aboard a ship that's about due for a yard visit, but that's to be expected even on the luxury lines.

I have not been aboard MV Century, but my cruise aborad MV Galaxy a year ago was about as good as it gets. The only amenity that you won't find aboard MV Galaxy or MV Mercury is a specialty restuarnat. The location of the pizza and pasta bar (starboard side of the Magrodome, labelled as a "grill" on the deck plans) is somewhat strange but it actually works out quite well because there are plenty of tables in the Magrodome area.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.