Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Default Man missing off of Century

Celebrity is reporting a 73 year old man traveling alone is missing off of the Century...

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.z...706&highlight=
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Default Man Overbosrd

It dseems this gentleman had left a suicide note in his apartment and had intended to go overboard on a ship.. This was reported from the news on aotther board...
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm reprinting this from the Celebrity Newsletter: It was an editorial piece done by Paul Motter. It gives a sound perspective on the information that the public receives about cruising.

What the Press Doesn't Report
One sad, but related reason why prices are low, is a recent spate of negative news coverage by people who just want to put the cruise industry in a bad light. Even with a natural disaster like a rogue wave where injuries were relatively minor and the cruise line was cleared of responsibility, or a steering malfunction that caused a ship to list for 90 seconds, newspaper editors wrote pulp-fiction headlines like "Hell on the High Seas."

Last June, the cruise lines voluntarily agreed to report any crime, man overboard or missing person incident that happens onboard no later than four hours after the master of the cruise ship learns of the incident. As a result, we are now seeing headlines of people going missing on ships far more often than we used to, the newspapers re-reporting every missing person incident with relish.

But what is not being reported is the whole story. Just last week, when a 76 year old British pensioner went missing off the coast of Africa we read plenty about it in the news. The captain of the ship turned the ship around and searched for the man, with the coast guard's help, for several hours before calling the search off unsuccessfully. The British Embassy authorities, Portuguese maritime police, Bahamian maritime authorities, and the FBI were all notified. All things that are done by protocol everytime someone goes missing. The end result of the story? The man was found to have committed suicide when a friend entered his flat in England and found notes marking all of his debts paid, and lists of to whom he wanted his belongings distributed. Oh, we heard plenty about the man going missing on the ship, but after the final determination was made that he had done it deliberately, the press was nearly silent.

Cruising is still the safest form of travel anywhere. Las Vegas (a city of tourists) has the highest suicide rate in the U.S. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the people who go missing on ships are of that variety, but fortunately they are NOT the victims of foul play as some people would like you to believe.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Default Low Prices~!!

If "they' are saying cruise prices are low because of bad publicity I think that is a bunch of crock... It seems this gentleman and perhaps others had planned their demise this way..In all seriousness if the gentleman had left a note in his cabin they wouldn't of had to search for him.. One thing is for sure.. I've NEVER thought of cruising to be dangerous (I had read the same exact article also) The reasons cruises maybe lower is because of overbuilding, mega ships and trying to appeal to all with a surplus of cabins.. Let me be a snob for once...there are cruisers who spend their days drinking buckets of beer...cruise lines push their daily drinks and now I just saw recently rolling carts at breakfast selling Bloody Mary;s and Mimosas..and people choosing to drink at breakfast on an NCL cruise. I don't know if I would want to end my life by going overboard..but it would certainly spare some very expensive funeral expenses (lol)
Old November 22nd, 2006, 05:26 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Low Prices~!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
:In all seriousness if the gentleman had left a note in his cabin they wouldn't of had to search for him..
Quote:
when a friend entered his flat in England and found notes
We were on Century when this event occurred. From the opening announcement during a theatre performance after 9pm to one after midnight, the ship was searched cabin by cabin.