Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Beginner

Default hotel in Ft Lauderdale

Leaving on the Millenium on 1/21. Thinking about getting in on the 20th becuase all avialiable flight won't get us into FLL until 1:00. Our cruse leaves on teh 21st at 4:30. That's a little to close for my comfort zone so I'm thinking we should arrive a day early. We don't want to spend a fortune on a hotel that we won't get to until about midnight. Just need a safe and clean place, not too far from the pier. Any suggestions.

On another topic, we were able to snag what I think is a great room. Sky View Family Room #9158, balcony is 272 sq. ft. I love sitting on the balcony and reading my book and drinking a foo foo drink!
Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Admiral

lwuest,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Leaving on the Millenium on 1/21. Thinking about getting in on the 20th becuase all avialiable flight won't get us into FLL until 1:00. Our cruse leaves on teh 21st at 4:30. That's a little to close for my comfort zone so I'm thinking we should arrive a day early. We don't want to spend a fortune on a hotel that we won't get to until about midnight. Just need a safe and clean place, not too far from the pier. Any suggestions.
Fort Lauderdale International Airport is about five minutes from the cruise terminals, so any of the "airport" hotels should be fine. Check the listings on your favorite hotel chain's web site.

The one disadvantage to arriving a day early is that the cruise line does not provide transfers unless you book your hotel through the cruise line. Celebrity usually books four star or five star hotels, which may or may not be your preference for a quick overnight. Most of the hotels have free shuttle services that will pick you up at the aiirport and take you to the pier, though, so that would be a good option. If your hotel does not offer a shuttle service, the fare for a taxi should be minimal.

Norm.
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Many hotels in the area, if you use priceline many cruisers swear by them. Ft. Lauderdale is one city where I would never do the cruiseline transfers. You can literally see the pier from the airport and most of the hotels. The taxi is at most $12 to $15 for any leg of the journey. Also, don't get stuck on a hotel because it does or does not have a shuttle. I never use the shuttles in Ft. Lauderdale. The taxis take you quicker and you go when you want. Not always the case with the shuttles but whatever you do dont do the transfers.

Don
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Ft. Lauderdale is one city where I would never do the cruiseline transfers.... The taxi is at most $12 to $15 for any leg of the journey.
Some cruise lines charge as little as $5 for the transfers -- which is less than your taxi fare even for two people.

But your choice....

Norm.
Old November 16th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Price isn't the only thing to be concerned with. Many times your bus will be set to leave at a set time and then go to other hotels to pick up other passengers. You often get to the pier an hour or two after your actual pick-up time. It can be very frustrating. Coming back to the airport after the cruise is often even worse. Sit on the bus until it fills, get your luggage off the bus and then get to the airport at the same time as five or six other ships passengers. If in a cab, you get there quick and may miss the lines. Most experienced cruisers will tell you they will never do the transfers in Ft. Lauderdale.

Don
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:38 PM
First Mate

agree that a cab is the best way to go the port & get back to airport in FLL--doesn't pay to go any other way-- the free shuttles from hotels are a pain in the neck! everyone crwds around to get on the first ones--it is not a pretty picture sometimes!
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Admiral

Suggest you try valuetrips.com who have a special connection with AmeriSuites which is on 17th near a lot of good restaurants and Embassy Hotel (which is quite expensive) but is a good meeting place. If it's not a blackout period, you'll get a great rate through valuetrips. AmeriSuites has a free van that will pick you up at the airport. You might also try Holiday Inn Express in the same area who also pick you up at the airport. Both hotels have a decent breakfast included. I've stayed at the Wyndham at the airport which has free pickup but is more expensive to get to the port by taxi.

Always take a taxi in Fort Lauderdale rather than the cruise transfer which generally runs $10. As Don mentioned it can take forever to get to the port - they wait until the bus is full. And, on the return, they wait until the bus is full and then drop you off at the airport in the designated drop off area - not directly at the airline which means you have to lug your suitcases to the airline. Whereas the taxi will drop you off at the airline.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012