Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Beginner

Default cuban cigars in luggage.

15 day cruise thru canal leaving tomorrow to San Juan and return to LA on the celebrity Summit. would like to purchase some cubans in Curacao or Aruba. Will the ones that I don't smoke be taken away when I arrive back in US ports.

Also, I understand there is a cigar bar onboard, am I allowed to smoke my cigars there without purchasing from the ship

Thanks for any feedback
Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Admiral

josan6,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
15 day cruise thru canal leaving tomorrow to San Juan and return to LA on the celebrity Summit. would like to purchase some cubans in Curacao or Aruba. Will the ones that I don't smoke be taken away when I arrive back in US ports.
It's illegal to bring Cuban cigars into the United States. Check out this statement on the Customs Service web site.

If you have Cuban cigars in your luggage and the customs agents at your port of entry find them, they will confiscate the cigars and arrest you on smuggling charges. And if the canine agents sniff them out, the human agents will go through your luggagge to find them.

Is it worth the risk?

You decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Also, I understand there is a cigar bar onboard, am I allowed to smoke my cigars there without purchasing from the ship
Yes, I believe that you are correct. Of course, the ship's cigar shop probably has a good inventory of Cuban cigars since it's legal to buy and smoke them while you are not within the United States.

Norm.
Old November 28th, 2006, 03:08 PM
First Mate

As a cigar smoker myself I can tell you that Celebrity DOES NOT have a cigar bar inside the ship, they allow smoking of cigars only on your balcony and in the evening at the outside aft bar.

As to sale of Cuban cigars onboard, I have never seen cuban cigars for sale on a Celebrity ship that departs from or returns to a US port. The only ship that I have been on which sold Cuban Cigars onbaord is the QM2.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Admiral

sal7202,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
As a cigar smoker myself I can tell you that Celebrity DOES NOT have a cigar bar inside the ship, they allow smoking of cigars only on your balcony and in the evening at the outside aft bar.
That actually depends upon the ship.

>> On the four vessels of the Millennium Class, Michael's Club was originally a cigar bar but got converted to a non-smoking piano lounge due to the lack of such a space.

>> Aboard MV Galaxy and MV Mercury (and I believe also aboard MV Zenith and MV Century), Michael's Club remaisn a cigar bar/lounge.

On my recent cruise to Hawai'i aboard GTS Infinity, though, I noticed a few changes in the ship's configuration -- one of which was removal of the rails around the opening in the deck that previously separated the Martini Bar and the Champgne Bar, installation of a flush carpeted deck plug in the opening to merge the Martini Bar and the Champagne Bar into one space, and placement of a piano in the cneter of the deck plug. Celebrity probably will make a similar modification on sister ships so that Michael's Club can revert to its place as a cigar bar/lounge. I also noticet that the humdors are still in place in the Michael's Club aboard GTS Infinity, though I did not look to see how stocked they may have been.

Norm.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:07 PM
Beginner

I know someone really well who just brought in a box of cuban cigars. got a box of some other kind of cigar, removed the wrappers from the cigars, put them in another place with the original box, then repacked the cigars without wrappers in the other box. Walked right through customs, no problem.

I doubt very much that anyone could prove that they were cuban and that the perpetrator of the heinous crime would have been arrested for smuggling. If it could have been proven, there would have been confiscation so the customs people could smoke them and a fine to pay.

Likely would have caused a missed flight.

Anyway, I got one of the cigars the other day and it was delightful.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinick
I know someone really well who just brought in a box of cuban cigars. got a box of some other kind of cigar, removed the wrappers from the cigars, put them in another place with the original box, then repacked the cigars without wrappers in the other box. Walked right through customs, no problem.

I doubt very much that anyone could prove that they were cuban and that the perpetrator of the heinous crime would have been arrested for smuggling. If it could have been proven, there would have been confiscation so the customs people could smoke them and a fine to pay.

Customs is well aware of that trick and yes they can prove they were cuban. Have read of people getting caught doing just what you said..
They won't arrest you but they will hit you with a heavy fine...
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinick

Customs is well aware of that trick and yes they can prove they were cuban. Have read of people getting caught doing just what you said..
They won't arrest you but they will hit you with a heavy fine...

Despite anecdotal evidence to the contrary, I doubt that anyone could "prove" where tobacco was grown, or where a cigar had been rolled once the labels had been removed.

That being said, I have had Cuban cigars while on cruises, and they are not all they are hyped up to be. Indeed, as a cigar smoker I can state unequivocally that they are no better than Dominican, or Jamacian, or Nicaraguan cigars. Indeed, by outlawing them the U.S. Government has created a market that would not exisit otherwise.

Who would pay $20.00 to $30.00 for a cigar if it weren't for the "forbiddedn fruit" factor? All you are going to do is burn it. May as well just pull out a $20.00 bill and set it on fire.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Despite anecdotal evidence to the contrary, I doubt that anyone could "prove" where tobacco was grown, or where a cigar had been rolled once the labels had been removed.

Having a strong Law Enforcement Background, they can tell, I'll just leave it at that...

Don
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
Admiral

It's possible that you could get the cigars through customs, but I've seen those "cute" little beagles that can sniff out anything illegal! They can smell the difference and personally, I wouldn't try bringing them back. You can smoke them on the ship.

Although I've never smoked them myself (ick!), I agree with sal7202. According to my DH, they're only "good" because they're forbidden. He liked the cigars in Dominica.

I'm telling my age here, but a long time ago we couldn't buy Coors in AR. Everyone drove to OK to get Coors. I didn't find it worth the trip after the first time !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014