Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

I started sailing with HAL when I was in my late 40s. Have done 5 cruises with them. Have also sailed Carnival 2 times.

I've observed all age groups on HAL, but would say the average is probably in the 50s and 60s. To say that the average cruiser is 80 is ludicrous.

What I found kind of amusing is that I did a 12-day Hawaiian cruise on the Carnival Spirit this past April. The passenger mix mirrored the passenger mix I observed on my 10-day Holland American cruises. Some people stereotype Carnival as being the cruise line for drunken, all night partiers. Nothing could have been further from the truth on that particular itinerary.

Holland America is for anyone who wants a more refined cruise experience, with great service. I'm looking forward to trying Celebrity some day. Heck, I've yet to figure out how you can have a bad cruise on ANY line!

Welcome, Nicola, and thanks for posting.

Shelby
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Fern,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
. I hear that the median age of the passengers on a typical Holland America cruise is about eighty. Thus, I would not recommend the line to anybody under about sixty or so.

Norm.
80 ? No way. I have sailed Holland America 3 times and found all ages represented. I was age 38 the first time and 40 the last and fit right in. The Vista class was especially family friendly, as a matter of fact.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzNut
[color=blue][color=blue][size=24]I agree with Kuki - the original poster is from Venice, Italy (beautiful city) and should not have been made fun of.

]
This thread has reminded me of just how bad we Americans are with foreign languages. Personally, I'm terrible at learning other languages. Yet I love to travel and been to something like 30 countries. Everywhere I go there are those wonderful people who are intelligent enough to learn English as a second language. 8)
Truth be told the original poster does indeed know English well for someone who seems to have Italian as a mother tongue.

/ticker.png">
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzNut
I agree with Kuki - the original poster is from Venice, Italy (beautiful city) and should not have been made fun of.

Then again when RCI was trying to buy Princess, Norm thought that was great being a stockholder of Princess, but when Carnival ended up doing it, Norm swore off all Carnival products ... and it shows up on all his posts. Norm is now a stockholder of RCI and pushes their products to the detriment of all Carnival lines.

He's entitled to his opinion - but really enough of the bad mouthing of the various Carnival products.
Hi CruzNut,

Thanks for the information CruzNut. As a former poster on another board I have seen many, of Rev22:17's (Norm) posts and often wondered what was going on. Now that you mention it, some of his posts do seem to look like a press release directly from Celebrity. I was surprised that Norm would mention the two or three problems with the pods on Carnival ships and fail to mention that the problem had been permanently fixed, while forgetting to mention the many, many pod failures on Celebrity m-class ships that were never permanently fixed and will continue into the future. I agree with you that everyone is entitled to their opinion but bad mouthing competitor's ships, while not fully disclosing the known faults of one's favorite cruise line is not fair to readers who are just looking for unbiased information.
Happy cruising to all.
Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Passenger

My husband and I (mid 40's) sailed for the first time last year on the Amsterdam. We absolutely loved it! Flew to Quebec and sailed home to NY. The average age was older than us (I would say 60's.) but they were all awake long after us! I was recuperating from and illness and in a wheelchair most days, but, never had a problem getting around etc. The doors leading outside were a bit heavy, but, I didn't have trouble. The food, decor, size of room left us feeling like we were in Heaven! We sailed this past June on Carnival and most passengers were our age. We hated it! I think we chose our first liner correctly. We are looking into a cruise to Alaska next May, and also thought of Celebrity. My advice would be to really look into the decor etc. We almost booked the Mercury (it was a great deal!) then I saw the video of the ship, & I thought it looked a lot like the Carnival ship we were on. That is just not our style. So I would advise you to do a lot of research! What matters to someone may or may not matter to another. You just need to decide what is important to you! Best of luck! We are hooked! Think you willl love it and be hooked as well!
Kate
Old August 26th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Admiral

The thing is, some statements are so outrageous that they clearly don't come close to passing the "smell test," yet people discuss them as though they're even worth being argued about.

Norm says, I hear that the median age of the passengers on a typical Holland America cruise is about eighty. Thus, I would not recommend the line to anybody under about sixty or so.

First of all, median is different than mean (or "average.") Median means that if Norm is correct, as many people on Holland. . .er, sorry, Holland America. . .are over eighty years old as are under 80. This is a ludicrous proposition on the face of it, and no one who thinks about it for five seconds could possibly give it credence.

So, come on Norm. Apply a little critical thinking to the things you "hear," and limit your opinions to your own recent experiences.
Old September 30th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Passenger

I have been on both Celebrity and Holland. Both are very good lines. Celebrity has the edge on food over Holland for sure.
Old September 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Difference between Celebrity and Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolaFank
What are the difference between Celebrity and Holland?For a lot of person Holland is more upscale than Celebrity...why?The price of Holland is more expensive than Celebrity.If I'm not mistake the celebrity fleet have a better space ratio and crew ratio for passenger...Thanks for your answer..
I think that the difference would be personal preference.

Like some people prefer Fairmont Hotels to Hilton.

We have friemds who prefer Celebrity to HAL even though

they find no difference.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old October 2nd, 2007, 12:48 AM
Familiar Face

HALs alt dining is better. You can really order what you want with one entree where on Celebrity your strictly limited to 3 courses.

I read a recient review from Celebrity where somone wanted a cup of soup and appitizer, entree and desert. Big problem with Celebrity.

Dont know why they have to be so tight with giving you what you want.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:56 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Difference between Celebrity and Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
NicolaFank,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What are the difference between Celebrity and Holland?For a lot of person Holland is more upscale than Celebrity...why?The price of Holland is more expensive than Celebrity.If I'm not mistake the celebrity fleet have a better space ratio and crew ratio for passenger...Thanks for your answer..
Ah, last I checked, Holland was dry land even though much of it is below mean sea level. The map shows it on the European coast to the west of Germany. AFAIK, it does not move.

Holland is a great place to visit on a cruise, though!

Norm.
Sorry, Couldn't resist, just had to carry on the joke:
Actually, Holland is a set provinces (little like a state in the US) in a small country called 'the Netherlands'. We have South Holland and ...... North Holland, and you're right, its a wonderfull place to visit especially if you like rain.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
Beginner

Can't say anything about Holland, but on our recent trip with Celebrity we had to put up with non functional toilets in out stateroom, leaking water from the corridor ceiling as well as avoiding buckets and towels to avoid the trips - all of which Celebrity views as perfectly acceptable on a supposed luxury ship as it does not feel passengers are entitled to any significant compensation. Stay away from Celebrity - if problems arise they just deny resposnibility and don't care.
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedoc1
Can't say anything about Holland, but on our recent trip with Celebrity we had to put up with non functional toilets in out stateroom, leaking water from the corridor ceiling as well as avoiding buckets and towels to avoid the trips - all of which Celebrity views as perfectly acceptable on a supposed luxury ship as it does not feel passengers are entitled to any significant compensation. Stay away from Celebrity - if problems arise they just deny resposnibility and don't care.
Can't speak to the above problems with Celebrity but I was also on a recent 9/07 Celebrity-Constellation cruise. I was disappointed with the food, (ho-hum) the entertainment (blah) , and the general disorganization of activities.

On one occassion, people had to sit for two hours in the theater waiting to be tendered ashore. According to what we were told, the cruise line had not anticipated the length of time it would take to ferry people into port. This explanation seemed implausable given the fact that the business Celebrity is in is navigation.

On one occassion no one showed-up to conduct Trivia. A passenger had to call to the front desk to get someone to run the activity.

The guest speakers were excellent! The best I've heard on a cruise. The entertainment, other than the comedian and the juggler, was awful.

While my husband said the beef was the best he has tasted, the rest of the food seemed uninspired. I can't really complain too much about the food but I think we had had better food on previous Constellation cruises. The room service menu has been cut back to basic breakfast and sandwich fare. One night my husband and I called room service for ice-cream and we were told they don't do that anymore but we could have cookies.

The room was a great size - really nice. The service was outstanding. That includes room attendants and those who serviced the dining room and the grill. Can't say enough about these people, they worked very hard.

As for HAL, we were on the Noordam for a 3/07 cruise. It was great. The food was definetly a step up from what we last had on the Constellation. The Noordam food seemed to be more creative and tasted better. The service was comparable to that of the Constellation.

My husband and I don't cruise during the summer so perhaps, the age of cruisers is a little older when school is in session and people with school ager children are at home. However, we have found no difference in age between the two cruise lines.

Jgtee
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Passenger

Having been on both Celebrity and Holland American, my opinion is that the meals and general food is far better and tasty on Celebrity than Holland America. I feel Holland does serve too much comfort food too and not the quality of gourmet that Celebrity does. Both have good service, but I still give the edge to Celebrity. Celebrity has much better entertainment, but Holland's seems to be trying to get better.