Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Default Celebrity ends Michel Roux affiliation

Press release from RCI, this has been a long time affiliation which will shortly end.

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.z...242&highlight=
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM
First Mate

hope this will not lead to a disaster like bringing in Cirque de soleil
The food & presentation aboard Celeb have been one of its desired hallmarks!
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I also wonder what changes will be made regarding this but it had been rumored that his influence had gradually decreased over the last couple of years.

It is one of those "Wait and See" things.

I just got off of Century and found that most things, especially Murano's, were quite good. In my opinion I would give it a 7 out of 10. I'm a tough grader. The only decline I noticed were in the desserts. The quality had definitely dropped. The Creme' Brule was overcooked and curdled and other desserts did not have a fresh taste that I had previously experienced. I actually found that dessert offerings in the buffet often surpassed those offered in the main dining room.

I hope things do change for the better and not just to the bottom line.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Admiral

hcat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
hope this will not lead to a disaster like bringing in Cirque de soleil
The food & presentation aboard Celeb have been one of its desired hallmarks!
I doubt that there will be any drastic changes in the near term.

Celebrity's cusiine has always been of very good quality, but I find that the line's menus grow old very quickly. Since shifting to Celebrity, I really do miss the variety of Princess's themed menus.

Norm.
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:49 PM
First Mate

Will be going on 2 Pricess ships next month and am real curious as to the food comparison.Have not been on Princess since the 70,s which was actually Sitmar which they took over.It appears they have many different options with 2 alternative restaurants which are much less than Celebrity.frirst nite they have seafood buffet cold in the horizon ct with shrimp,Alaska crab legs smoked salmon etc.Will report my findings.By the way went to Cirque de solei last week in Orlando and it was absolutely one of the most fantastic shows I have ever seen.Do not miss it either in Las Vegas or Orlando.Wll worth the price.Can see why it would not make it on a ship.
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Admiral

You know, it is a funny thing......having just cruised on Century, our biggest compliment was that the food was really very good. I sure hope that doesn't change now. I have to agree with Mike that the desserts were not as good as in the past.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 6th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Admiral

big apple,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Will be going on 2 Pricess ships next month and am real curious as to the food comparison.Have not been on Princess since the 70,s which was actually Sitmar which they took over.It appears they have many different options with 2 alternative restaurants which are much less than Celebrity.frirst nite they have seafood buffet cold in the horizon ct with shrimp,Alaska crab legs smoked salmon etc.Will report my findings.By the way went to Cirque de solei last week in Orlando and it was absolutely one of the most fantastic shows I have ever seen.Do not miss it either in Las Vegas or Orlando.Wll worth the price.Can see why it would not make it on a ship.
With the themes, etc., in Princess's menus, you probably won't need to resort to the alternative restaurants. On a typical seven night cruise, the menus are:

>> Night #1: Sailaway (North American)

>> Night #2: Captain's "Welcome Aboard" (Elegant)

>> Night #3: Italian

>> Night #4: French

>> Night #5: Destination Region

>> Night #6: Captain's Gala (Elegant)

>> Night #7: Landfall (North American)

On longer cruises, you'll see additinal themes such as German, Greek, and Russian as well as additional elegant menus, such as "Candlelight Dinner" or "The Chef Presents..." for additional formal evenings.

All of Princess's menus also have an "Always Available" section that includes a full selection of basic entrees (grilled portobello mushroom, a grilled fish selection, boneless chicken breast, sirloin steak, etc.) as well as some appetizers, Caesar Salad, and Fetuccini Alfredo, so there's always a "safety valve" for anybody who does not like the selections on the theme menus. These items normally do not change during the course of a cruise.

Norm.
Old January 7th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Big Apple,

There's no way that Princess or any other popularly priced line can compare in any respect with Sitmar in the 70's, which I also remember fondly. Back then we were on 20,000-30,000 ton ships with relatively small capacities, and we paid--on an inflation-adjusted basis--considerably more than we do on today's mass market lines. So, in that respect, comparisons with Sitmar are simply irrelevant. It's a completely different product, geared to a completely different market.

Specifically, the food on Princess is nowhere near the old Sitmar standard, and it's not reasonable to expect it to be. In our experience, Princess' food lately has become, to put it charitably, a hit-or-miss proposition. In my view, the specialty restaurants on Princess are a welcome refuge, where the food is normally very good, served at the right temperature by the best of the ship's waitstaff.

I don't quite understand your comment about two specialty restaurants being "much less than Celebrity." As far as I know, Celebrity still only has one specialty restaurant on the Millie-class ships, and has just started putting them on the older vessels. However, the Olympic restaurant and her sisters are, in my view, a cut above most others, certainly in terms of atmosphere and service.

We've also been pleased with the specialty restaurants on Oceania, which are surcharge-free.
Old January 7th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Admiral

AR,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I don't quite understand your comment about two specialty restaurants being "much less than Celebrity." As far as I know, Celebrity still only has one specialty restaurant on the Millie-class ships, and has just started putting them on the older vessels. However, the Olympic restaurant and her sisters are, in my view, a cut above most others, certainly in terms of atmosphere and service.
I think that "Big Apple" was referring to price. Princess's specialty restauarants are considerably less expensive than Celebrity's.

Of course, they do not exactly provide the same level of service and cuisine, either....

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We've also been pleased with the specialty restaurants on Oceania, which are surcharge-free.
Well, more precisely, included in the cruise fare. Oceana's fares are considerably higher than Celebrity's.

Norm.
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:31 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc

A Good Roux Underlies Great Cuisine
Jan 9 - Last week, Celebrity Cruises announced they were "charting a new culinary course," which is significant news since much of the line's reputation has been built on their dining. As the first step in their new direction, Celebrity announced that they were parting ways with Master Chef Michel Roux, whose signature cuisine has been featured on the line since its inception.
What was missing from the announcement is exactly where the line is going from here. Spokesperson Liz Jakeway told CND that customers shouldn't expect Roux to be replaced with another "name" chef.
Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Passenger

I was just off the Mercury for the Christmas and New Year's sailing. Having cruised with Celebrity so many times the Hotel Director and Restaurant Manager always invite my family to tea and talk to us about our experience and what can be improved. In that meeting I mentioned how the menus on Celebrity ships have been pretty much the same for a couple years. They said that in the coming year the entire celebrity team is going to revolutionize the dining experience. They are going to be recreating all of the menus and the some items on every menu will reflect the region where the ship is sailing. For instance when the ship is sailing to Greece they will feature some Greek dishes on the menu. They are responding to the guests wants of more regional cruise and the success of Savor the Caribbean. They say that overall with the departure of Michel Roux cuisine on the ships will go up because the cruise line is not spending so much money on a partnership that did not provide much.
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Admiral

ILoveCruising,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
They said that in the coming year the entire celebrity team is going to revolutionize the dining experience. They are going to be recreating all of the menus and the some items on every menu will reflect the region where the ship is sailing. For instance when the ship is sailing to Greece they will feature some Greek dishes on the menu. They are responding to the guests wants of more regional cruise and the success of Savor the Caribbean.
I, for one, think that this will be a change for the better. While I have never had a complaint with the quality, quantity, or presenation of cuisine on any of Celebrity's ships, I have found that the menus have a real sameness that grows old very quickly. This kind of variation in the styles of cuisine would be a real improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
They say that overall with the departure of Michel Roux cuisine on the ships will go up because the cruise line is not spending so much money on a partnership that did not provide much.
I'm not surprised that "company men" (and women) would put a positive spin on this, but I also tend to believe that the partnership with Michel Roux has reached a point where the cost exceeds the benefit. The real litmus test will be whether Celebrity maintains the quality of its cuisine, even with different menus, without Michel Roux in charge.

Norm.
Old January 13th, 2007, 05:48 PM
First Mate

AR,Thanks for your comments on Speciality restaurants and I was referring to price and would also agree that the Olympic is at the top and one cruise I was on there was a couple who ate in there every nite.Norm,I do appreciate your daily menu selection and it certainly looks quite appealing.Disagree with comment that pricing was more on Sitmar and I pulled out old invoice from cruiseon Fairsea to Mexico Feb.14,1977 and the price was $745 plus$6 tax outside room for one week.You may get it a little less but are paying now much more for drinks and tours etc.
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Admiral

big apple,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Disagree with comment that pricing was more on Sitmar and I pulled out old invoice from cruiseon Fairsea to Mexico Feb.14,1977 and the price was $745 plus$6 tax outside room for one week.You may get it a little less but are paying now much more for drinks and tours etc.
To do an "apples to apples" comparison, you first need to adjust the price on that old Sitmar invoce for inflation. If you do, it probably will be well over $2500 per person. Inflation here in the States was well into double digits, peaking around 18% IIRC, in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Norm.
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Big Apple--

Actually, Norm hit the inflation factor very nearly on the mark. I just ran $745 in 1977 through an inflation calculator and it comes out to $2417.51 in today's dollars. Surely this "apples to apples" comparison is much more than a week in an outside room on a popularly-priced line. Of course that's why I specified "on an inflation-adjust basis" in my post.

Failing to account for inflation is a common mistake; failing to plan for it is even more common. That's a hint for everybody who stashes their money in the bank or in money market accounts.
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:44 PM
First Mate

OKAY YOU WIN ON INFLATION HOWEVER CRUISING IN THE 60,S AND 70,S WAS MUCH BETTER THAN WHAT THEY ARE OFFERING TODAY WITHOUT COMPARISON PERIOD.MY OPINION ONLY.CAN SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE ON THE OLD hOLLAND NIEW AMSTERDAM WHICH WAS A REAL TREAT COMPARED TO TODAY,S CRUISES.
Old January 14th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Passenger

Default food on Celebrity

I have done over 20 cruises, including Celebrity,s Millenium and to this day find you can,t beat Holland America for its food, they are top of the line and service as well.
Old January 15th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Passenger

i am sorry to say this but travelnut you do not know what you are talking about. i have sailed with celebrity and holland america numerous times and i would prefer to sail on celebrity any day over hal. the food, service, ships on celebrity are all much better. if hal was better you would see their ships as the highest rated ships in the industry and they are not. but you can find all of celebrity's ships rated very high.
Old January 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM
First Mate

Have sailed on numerous ships of both Celebrity and Holland and have found both of them at the top and will point ouy my differences starting with Holland:Service is at the top and enjoy the hot appetizers in all bars before dinner.Have been able to get very friendly with cruise directors who have invited us to special dinners and other functions The fancy candy on the way back to the shows after dinner a nice touch.The steward handing figs etc after dinner always a nice touch.Entertainment on a par with Celebrity with the strings violin etc a special treat before dinner.Celebrity:The cold towels arround the pool a real treat,champagne upon embarcation a class act.Food in the alternative restaurants better on the larger ships with the Olympic on the Millie the top of the list for total atmosphere and service.Both lines are my favorite and would not hessitate to choose either one.
Old January 16th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Big Apple

First of all, there's no need to shout.

Second, I don't see anybody arguing with you, except to point out that inflation is very real.

Many who sailed on some of the nice ships from the 70's onward agree that today's mass-market cruise experience isn't up to that standard. I was on the old Nieuw Amsterdam too, and I agree that she was lovely.

You might want to try Oceania. It's a bit closer to that standard than the mass-market lines, with prices to match. If, on an inflation-adjusted basis, you could afford Sitmar in the 70's, I assume you can afford some of the higher-priced lines today, which you might find more in keeping with your tastes.
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:42 PM
First Mate

The latest issue of Celeb News had No mention of cuisine-one picture of a chocolate buffet--rest of it was about the matresses & new revenue partners & new line of logo clothing Does anyone get the feeling lately when they cruise that they are in one big shopping mall being asked to buy this & that???
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Without a doubt.

Sailaway day now looks like a carnival sideshow, with everybody on the ship trying to sell you something.

It's the price we pay for insisting on the lowest possible base fares.
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:02 PM
First Mate

Totallg agree with the sailaway drinks absolutely absurd in both pricing plus lack of any booze to speak of and on top of this they want even more for the container.Have learned a long time ago you are better off going up to the bar and having them make the same drink from scratch.I have my own routine and that is to bring my own champagne from my room and have a special toast with my wife as we sail into the sunset. Sorry if they do not approve.The watered down drink is not my cup of tea.
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Beginner

I just returned from a 4 day cruise on Century this morning. This was my 10th Celebrity cruise, & I was very disappointed in the food. Choices & taste have taken a big dive . Only one of the 4 dinners was good . My tablemates were not happy with their food, either. I was on HAL in November ( Veendam ) & the food was much better than Century. I never thought I'd say that, but it's true. Hopefully it's only a Century problem.