Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Passenger

Default ?s on Century's Best of Europe

My husband and I are considering the Century's Best of Europe cruise in September fpr our 30th anniversary . It leaves Amsterdam with port stops in Zeebrugge, LeHavre, La Coruna, Lisbon, Tangier and Barcelona. The different itinerary is what most attracts me to this cruise.

I note that last year it was a 13-night instead of an 8-night like this year. That being said, have any of you taken this cruise or a similar one?

I also like the mid-September embarkation. . . .School will have started, and the weather should be quite pleasant.

From what I can tell, the Century seems to be a lovely and elegant ship (I have a cabin question in a separate post.).

On an 8-night cruise, are there two formal nights?

I read a lot about the pod problems with the Millie and assume that since I haven't read anything to the contrary, the Century uses a different propulsion system. . . .Am I right?

I know I stress way too much over picking a cruise and ship, but that's me!

Thanks!!

Chris
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Admiral

chriscuts,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My husband and I are considering the Century's Best of Europe cruise in September fpr our 30th anniversary . It leaves Amsterdam with port stops in Zeebrugge, LeHavre, La Coruna, Lisbon, Tangier and Barcelona. The different itinerary is what most attracts me to this cruise.

I note that last year it was a 13-night instead of an 8-night like this year. That being said, have any of you taken this cruise or a similar one?
I have not been on that specific itinerary, but I can tell from personal experience on other itineraries you that Amsterdam, Zeebrugge, Le Havre, and Barcelona are great destinations. Do plan a couple nights precruise and postcruise so you can see Amsterdam and Barcelona while you are there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I also like the mid-September embarkation. . . .School will have started, and the weather should be quite pleasant.
Yes, that's a great time of year to visit western Europe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
From what I can tell, the Century seems to be a lovely and elegant ship (I have a cabin question in a separate post.).
You could say that of any of Celebrity's vessels.

Realistically, MV Century is about ten years old, but she received a major overhaul last year so she should be in very good shape. Other threads on this board also seem to confirm that she is in good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
On an 8-night cruise, are there two formal nights?
I would guess two "formal" evenings, two "informal" evenings, and four "casual" evenings, but individual sailings may vary for one reason or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I read a lot about the pod problems with the Millie and assume that since I haven't read anything to the contrary, the Century uses a different propulsion system. . . .Am I right?
Ah, do you know what happens when you ass-u-me???

But, seriously, the problems with the propulsion system seem to afflict each ship of the Millennium class about annually, so they disrupt only two or three percent of the cruises scheduled on these ships. Some of the posts would lead you to think that the disruption is much worse than that.

That said, MV Century does have conventional shafts, which put her motors and main thrust bearings inside the hull where the crew can repair them at sea if necessary, rather than in external pods where every repair to these components requires a visit to a drydock to open up a pod.

Norm.