Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Beginner

Default Carry on wine??

It states on the celebrity website that we are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. Is this true? I've heard mixed things. Do we carry them in our carry-ons? We don't want to by them and they not be able to bring them aboard.
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Here you go ....

"Does Celebrity charge a corkage fee?
Subject: Food and Beverage
No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. If a guest receives a bottle of wine (in their stateroom) from a family member of friend, and that bottle(s) was purchased from our Bon Voyage Gift selection, then no corkage fee will apply if they wish to consume the bottle in the dining room or any public area. If a guest receives a bottle from an outside vendor and/or travel agent, and the bottle was not purchased through our Bon Voyage selection, then a $25.00 corkage fee per bottle will apply if they wish to consume the wine in the dining room or any other public area. The fee will be applied to the guest's onboard account. Alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing."

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Forget the corkage fee! Open the bottle in your cabin, and take a glass of wine with you to dinner or anywhere else you want to go on ship. Absolutely no problem in doing that. There are no "wine police" running around the ship
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Beginner

Thanks...I appreciate it. Have a great time in South America!
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:13 AM
First Mate

have they now gone up to $25 for corkage?Not only is this ridiculous but their wine lisT charges some 4 times what Ipay in a liquor store in sc.Gouging is one thing but come on guys give us a break and attempt to sell some wine with dinner and you wonder why people smuggle booze on board or anything else.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
and you wonder why people smuggle booze on board or anything else.

Quote:
Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late
Does anyone REALLY take a bottle of wine to the dining room and pay 25 dollars for a corkage fee? Say it aint so.

Old January 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Rick,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Does anyone REALLY take a bottle of wine to the dining room and pay 25 dollars for a corkage fee? Say it aint so.
Yes, some people do.

The best strategy might well be to bring aboard a wine that's available thought the "bon voyage" selection. When you bring it to the dining room, the wine steward probably won't know that you brought it aboard yourself and therefore won't apply the corkage fee.

Norm.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to joannafx
Default Thanks for the information....

Now I can take my wine on board......

Joanna
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
Familiar Face

I have a couple of comments to fellow wine lovers like myself.

1. The more passengers who request the "wine package" deal Royal Caribbean has, the more likely Celebrity is to listen. This benefits both the passengers who get better prices on the wine (average $30/bottle including service charge for enjoyable quality) and it guarantees Celebrity more passengers will partake in the wine experience. If you don't finish the bottle at dinner, they will have it at your table the next night. Lobby whatever way you can for this, even if it simply on your Customer Cruise Evaluation questionaire. Let's face it, nobody wants to spend their prices every night for a bottle.

2. If you do take your wine to dinner, you may be able to talk to the sommelier and give him some cash at the end of the cruise for not charging the $25/bottle.

Has anyone tried the Celebrity Bon Voyage engraved bottle wine? And how is it? I think it is around $25 for chardonnay and cabernet savignon.
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasul mama

Has anyone tried the Celebrity Bon Voyage engraved bottle wine? And how is it? I think it is around $25 for chardonnay and cabernet savignon.
Innocuous to put it mildly..
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Passenger

I'm actually going to take Norms suggestion about the wine's listed on the Bon Voyage selection. Celebrity actually carries one of my favorite white wines as well as a red. I'll take a chance and see if I'm charged the corkage fee.
A thought just came to me...does Celebrity offer a bar set up in our cabin?On our last cruise (NCL) I was able to order a bar set up for DH (who likes a martini before dinner) and it worked out great. Anyone use a bar set up before on Celebrity? Was it fairly easy to arrange?
Thanks
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Zina,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
A thought just came to me...does Celebrity offer a bar set up in our cabin?On our last cruise (NCL) I was able to order a bar set up for DH (who likes a martini before dinner) and it worked out great. Anyone use a bar set up before on Celebrity? Was it fairly easy to arrange?
On Celebrity, the minibar set-up is complementary in all cabins. They charge whatever you use out of it to your shipboard account.

The cabin steward will lock the minibar at turn-down on the last night of the cruise so that the ship can process the final charges that evening and give you a final statement of your charges before your departure.

Norm.
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Familiar Face

You can order a liquor package from Celebrity's Bon Voyage web page. You get the bottle of your choosing plus mixers.
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasul mama
You can order a liquor package from Celebrity's Bon Voyage web page. You get the bottle of your choosing plus mixers.
Excellent, that's what I was hoping for....Thank you
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:17 PM
First Mate

We did the Bon Voayage bottle on Royal Carib recently--the wine was marked up three times the land based cost but they have a strong no wine/liquor carry on policy so we felt we had no choice.l It was unfair with such a high mark up so we will no longer do the bon voyage bottle...we will take our two allowed botles on Celeb & hope the freebies along the way are sufficient. The mark ups are really unpalatable...
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zina
I'm actually going to take Norms suggestion about the wine's listed on the Bon Voyage selection. Celebrity actually carries one of my favorite white wines as well as a red. I'll take a chance and see if I'm charged the corkage fee.
Thanks
they do offer the bar set up but it is much higher: NCL $40.00 plus $3 service fee: Celebrity $60 for the same thing and HAL $37.00. Even at $60 it is a good deal compared to $6.00 to $10 per drink. NMNita
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:30 AM
Passenger

Carrying a glass of wine into the dining room is tacky at best. If you wouldn't do it in a restaurant at home, don't do it on the ship. I own a restaurant, and it's the fastest way to give the staff the message that you're cheap and have no class (even if you do). I don't know of any restaurant that allows customers to show up with their own glass of wine, beer or cocktails. That being said, I do agree that it sounds like cruise ships rip people off with exhorbitant prices on beverages. I, for one, would spend more if the prices were more reasonable. If the prices are lowered they will do more volume and thus, more profit. I'll soon find out on my first cruise, on which we DO plan to bring our own wine for our stateroom.
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:00 AM
Beginner

Default How to get more than 2 bottles on?

How about putting 2 in the checked luggage and carrying 2 on? Then, hiding the extra 2 in your room until you need them. Has anyone tried this?

And, yes, I will purchase a glass of wine with dinner (as opposed to sneaking it in) in the dining room. I just like to have my own stash for sitting on the balcony.
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:44 PM
First Mate

Unless they have changed their policy recently we have never worried about number of bottles of wine in our carry on luggage.Have always started with 5 and restocked down the line thru duty free shops and never been a problem and do feel corkage fee absurd and they woul sell a lot more at dinner with wine in the $15-20 range which could easily be done maintaining the same profit bottom line.
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:24 PM
Familiar Face

How regrettable Celebrity misses the mark on their wine list pricing. With all of their major postive attributes, this has been a sore spot of mine ever since I started sailing with them in 1994. After 12 cruises with Celebrity, the wine situation (pricing, corkerage fees, policies threatening to disallow boarding to passengers caught with contraband wine/beer/liquor, etc.) has continued to worsen over the years. There are alot of solutions out there which will keep passengers buying wine. Let's start with revising the dinner wine list to include reasonably priced labels familiar to the mainstream Celebrity cruiser. This allows more passengers willing to purchase vino or bubbly and enjoy with the fine cuisine, rather than balking at the pricing and spending nothing. Or, bringing a full glass from their cabins into the dining room.

I still maintain that the wine package offered by RCL and Holland American is solution to get passengers to buy without the major hassle of sorting through a couple hundred lables on the wine list, evaluating price, etc. when they should be socializing with their table mates.

Get on board Celebrity and stop this nonsense by listening to your passengers. Especially your repeat passengers.

"Frendship cannot flower in an empty glass"
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Susan and Glen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Carrying a glass of wine into the dining room is tacky at best. If you wouldn't do it in a restaurant at home, don't do it on the ship. I own a restaurant, and it's the fastest way to give the staff the message that you're cheap and have no class (even if you do). I don't know of any restaurant that allows customers to show up with their own glass of wine, beer or cocktails. That being said, I do agree that it sounds like cruise ships rip people off with exhorbitant prices on beverages. I, for one, would spend more if the prices were more reasonable. If the prices are lowered they will do more volume and thus, more profit. I'll soon find out on my first cruise, on which we DO plan to bring our own wine for our stateroom.
Actually, there is a big difference. At most restaurants, it's quite acceptable to bring a glass of wine purchased at the restaurant's bar or in the restaurant's lounge into the dining room. A cruise ship has many lounges throughout where one might legitimately purchase a glass of wine before dinner, so the fact that one filled a glass with wine in one's cabin en route to the dining room is not at all obvious to the staff.

That said, the new policy does have a legitimate purpose. Bartenders and bar waitstaff are trained to spot guests who have had "one too many" and slow down or cut off service to such individuals, as circumstances dictate, to ensure that the guests don't get so drunk that they are out of control. The ship does have some responsibility to ensure the safety of all passengers, which passengers who are out of control would jeopardize.

Norm.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM
Passenger

Norm, you're right about carrying wine into a dining room from their own bar or lounge. Now I'm just wondering if the ship provides wine glasses in the staterooms or would one have to walk into this elegant dining room with a water glass or plastic cup full of wine, which would make me feel quite uncomfortable. Do they let you walk out of the lounges with cocktails, etc? I would think that would be more policed than anything to help prevent underage drinking onboard - especially on the ships with a much younger crowd.
Getting off topic for a minute - I hope you'll forgive this. You sound like a seasoned cruiser. I'm sure I saw a spot on Celebrity's website where you can pay all the gratuities prior to embarking, right on the website. Have you ever seen this? I can't find it now. And if one does this, can you add to the tips for exceptional service at the end of the cruise?[/quote]
Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:58 AM
First Mate

You can pick up wine glasses from any of the lounges on the ship as ther are not any in your cabin.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Familiar Face

Cabin services will also deliver wine glasses to your room if you call them.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Susan & Glen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm, you're right about carrying wine into a dining room from their own bar or lounge. Now I'm just wondering if the ship provides wine glasses in the staterooms or would one have to walk into this elegant dining room with a water glass or plastic cup full of wine, which would make me feel quite uncomfortable.
There were wine glasses (for both red and white) next to the water glasses on the water tray on my cruise earlier this year. And as others have pointed out, room service will bring wine glasses to your cabin as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Do they let you walk out of the lounges with cocktails, etc? I would think that would be more policed than anything to help prevent underage drinking onboard - especially on the ships with a much younger crowd.
No, you can take any beverage anywhere throughout the ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Getting off topic for a minute - I hope you'll forgive this. You sound like a seasoned cruiser.
Well, I have done thirteen cruises on Princess and nine on Celebrity, many of which were ten nights or more. I also served as a naval officer for five years, so I was not exactly a stranger to life at sea before I started cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I'm sure I saw a spot on Celebrity's website where you can pay all the gratuities prior to embarking, right on the website. Have you ever seen this? I can't find it now. And if one does this, can you add to the tips for exceptional service at the end of the cruise?
No, but I have not gone looking for it. I won't use Celebrity's gratuity charge program, either in advance or aboard ship, until they fix it, anyway. Celebrity claims to follow guidelines from American Express on tipping, but the guidelines from American Express are not consistent with standard social etiquette, which you can read in any manual on the subject (probably available in the reference section of your local public library) in other areas as well.

>> The real rub is that Celebrity includes a gratuity for an "Assistant Chief Housekeeper," for whom a gratuity is NOT customary. I'm not aware of any other cruise line that even suggests a tip to the equivalent individual, and I have asked the question on these and other discussion boards. Also, if you meet this person during your cruise (and on most cruises you won't), it will be completely by accident -- and I don't know of any situation whatsoever in which it's customary to tip somebody whom you normally do not meet. Unfortunately Celebrity won't allow you to delete it from the charge. (BTW, it's pretty obvious from the way that the line jumps over backward to 'splain why one should tipp the "assistant chief housekeeper" in its disembarkation talks that I am not exactly the only person who does not tip this individual.)

In this context, I also should mention that the assistant chief housekeepers are NOT in any way comparable to the "assistant maitres d'hotel" (more commonly called "head waiters" on other lines) in the dining room. Although the true custom is to tip one's assistant maitre d'hotel only for special services beyond his or her normal duties, the suggested tip has become prevalent over the last five or six years. OTOH, the assistant maitres d'hotel really do visit all tables in the dining room during the course of each evening, assist with service as needed to smooth out bottlenecks, and do some preparations (bananas flambee a la Foster, cherries jubilee, etc.) in the dining room. Thus, there is some justification for giving a small gratuity to these individuals even if they don't provide special services.

>> Celebrity Cruises also does not recommend a gratuity for the assistant cabin steward, but then I'm not aware of any other line that has assistant cabin stewards, so the guidelines from American Express probably do not envision it. In any case, the assistant cabin stewards do work very hard, and you do interact with them in the same manner as you interact with your cabin steward on a daily basis. I always tip my assistant cabin steward the same amount as a the assistant waiter.

>> Celebrity's bar bills (and possibly also the bills for spa treatment) now provide a line for an "additional tip" over the customary fifteen percent (15%) that they add automatically. How tacky and how gauche can they get??? This line should get a big "X" through it! If a particular bartender or bar server provide truly extraordinary service, though, it's appropriate to acknowledge it with an envelope handed to the individual on the day before disembarkation day.

>> Finally, Celebrity also recommends tipping half the regular amount for children (under 12, IIRC). Halving the amount is not consistent with practices on other lines, and I don't see any justification for it. Indeed, young children often require extra work for the part of the staff to accommodate their needs and to clean up the messes that they create in both the cabin and the dining room. Thus, there's clear justification for the tip to be the same amount as for adults.

But one of these days, Celebrity will get its act together in this regard....

Norm.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:15 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofriends
How would anyone know if you are carrying it from the ships bar into the dining room or carrying it from your cabin? Many people have a pre dinner drink and if they do not finish it by dining time, they carry their drink right to their table.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
Passenger

Norm, thank you so much for all your valuable and much appreciated information. Having never cruised before, it's a little daunting trying to sort all of these things out. I agree with you on the "extra" tipping thing. As the owner of a restaurant I find it defies logic when a restaurant or other service business adds an automatic gratuity to bills. The staff is guaranteed the tip and has no real incentive to go above and beyond what they normally do, unless it's someone who just goes the extra mile because it's in their nature. But to have a space to add MORE than the tip that's already been added is unbelievable! It's really an insult to everyone's intelligence as it seems the purpose is to fool those who didn't notice that the first tip was already added into adding additional $$ I also won't tip someone with whom I have not had direct contact. For what??
Anyway, thanks again for taking the time. I'm sure before we sail in June I'll have lots more questions!!
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Susan and Glen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Actually, there is a big difference. At most restaurants, it's quite acceptable to bring a glass of wine purchased at the restaurant's bar or in the restaurant's lounge into the dining room. A cruise ship has many lounges throughout where one might legitimately purchase a glass of wine before dinner, so the fact that one filled a glass with wine in one's cabin en route to the dining room is not at all obvious to the staff.

That said, the new policy does have a legitimate purpose. Bartenders and bar waitstaff are trained to spot guests who have had "one too many" and slow down or cut off service to such individuals, as circumstances dictate, to ensure that the guests don't get so drunk that they are out of control. The ship does have some responsibility to ensure the safety of all passengers, which passengers who are out of control would jeopardize.

Norm.
i t may not be obvious but it is still tacky. None of us are thrilled with the prices the cruise lines are charging for drinks but they are no higher than the better bars and restaurants in major cities. I just was told by a friend about being charged $14 for a martini at a ver upscale restaurant in Dallas.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
Passenger

i t may not be obvious but it is still tacky. None of us are thrilled with the prices the cruise lines are charging for drinks but they are no higher than the better bars and restaurants in major cities. I just was told by a friend about being charged $14 for a martini at a ver upscale restaurant in Dallas.

Nmnita,
That happened to us recently, a regular martini that DH ordered w/Absolut(sp?) vodka, for $19.00 <gasp>...
Btw, last summer we ordered the bar set-up on our NCL Wind to Alaska cruise and it worked out beautifullyt!!!! Celebrity does charge much more for the same bottle but still in the long run it make DH happy
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:32 PM
First Mate

Seems no limit on size of bottle so maybe two magnums will work out well! Would order from them but the mark up plus 15% is unconscionable!