Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to sexyaznboy Send a message via Yahoo to sexyaznboy
Default Summit Panama/Mexico Cruise: March 31 Friends of Dorothy

Taking my mom on a cruise, if there are any guys interested in Friends of Dorothy (I know Celebrity isn't the greatest for this sort of thing) please let me know...I'd be interested in meeting up! RJ from Toronto
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Summit Panama/Mexico Cruise: March 31 Friends of Dorothy

sexyaznboy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Taking my mom on a cruise, if there are any guys interested in Friends of Dorothy (I know Celebrity isn't the greatest for this sort of thing) please let me know...I'd be interested in meeting up! RJ from Toronto
I don't understand why you assert that Celebrity "isn't the greatest for this sort of thing." Celebrity's ships have FOD meetings pretty nearly every day.

Norm.
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Summit Panama/Mexico Cruise: March 31 Friends of Dorothy

Thanks for the quick response Norm!
This is my first time on Celebrity, so forgive me for being new at this...I was just doing some research on line and came across this article, which says that in terms of FOD meetings, Celebrity is sort of "second tier" behind Norwegian, Carnival and Princess and some cruises don't have them unless enough people ask for them. If you have other experiences I'd love to hear from you! RJ

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features...les.cfm?ID=188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
sexyaznboy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I don't understand why you assert that Celebrity "isn't the greatest for this sort of thing." Celebrity's ships have FOD meetings pretty nearly every day.

Norm.
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Admiral

RJ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thanks for the quick response Norm!
This is my first time on Celebrity, so forgive me for being new at this...I was just doing some research on line and came across this article, which says that in terms of FOD meetings, Celebrity is sort of "second tier" behind Norwegian, Carnival and Princess and some cruises don't have them unless enough people ask for them. If you have other experiences I'd love to hear from you!
Well, I can't say that I have ever participated in the FOD meetings because... well, they just are not quite my type. Nonetheless, I have seen the gatherings listed in the daily programs ("Celebrity Today") and often happened to walk past a bar or lounge when they were happening. On one cruise, I also played bridge partner who was a card-carrying member. He spoke very highly of the gatherings.

That said, I should mention that every cruise line has its own personality. Celebrity operates at the top of the "premium" tier of the cruise market, and thus draws a fairly refined and classy but nonetheless mellow crowd. While Carnival has tried to tone down its reputation for a "frat party" atmosphere, the party there still has a very different style. Neither is any better or worse than the other per se, but most of us tend to prefer one over the other depending upon our personal styles. The FOD gatherings on Carnival probably are wilder than the FOD gatherings on Celebrity, too, but, again, that reflects the differences in the style of the two lines and the personalities of their passengers.

Norm.
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks :)

Thanks again Norm, this is the second cruise I've taken, the first one 3 years ago was on Carnival, and again with my mom. Single guy here, I guess you've got the picture

I do remember looking for the FOD in the Carnival newsletter and don't remember seeing it at the time. From what I've heard and read, Celebrity is far superior to Carnival in terms of clientele. Also it tends to be a older more sedate crowd. I'm 38, so probably too old for the circuit party crowd with the young 20 year olds but will I be too young for the FOD Celebrity crowd? I enjoy meeting people of all age groups, am I correct to assume many of the gay men on Celebrity cruises will be over 50 and coupled? In that case I may not have much in common with them. Hope I'm not coming across as ageist. I definitely don't want to sound that way. Just looking for other singles around my age with similar interests...

Thanks for the input!
RJ
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:22 PM
First Mate

Hi,

You ought to click on ''people'' section, then scroll down to G&L category.You'll find a lot more info out there.
Also, click on '' destination'' and find your cruise roll-call, and post there.

Good luck
And yes, Celebrity is accomodating; they even regularly charter entire sailings to G&L groups ; and, as Norm mentionned, FOD meetings are common on all their sailings.

Cheers
C

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Passenger

Thanks Claude! I appreciate the feedback, any more info and links you could direct this newbie to will be awesome!

I guess someone will have to start off these FOD meetings? Or can I assume they will have one on my cruise?

Thanks
RJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealegs
Hi,

You ought to click on ''people'' section, then scroll down to G&L category.You'll find a lot more info out there.
Also, click on '' destination'' and find your cruise roll-call, and post there.

Good luck
And yes, Celebrity is accomodating; they even regularly charter entire sailings to G&L groups ; and, as Norm mentionned, FOD meetings are common on all their sailings.

Cheers
C
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Thanks :)

RJ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thanks again Norm, this is the second cruise I've taken, the first one 3 years ago was on Carnival, and again with my mom. Single guy here, I guess you've got the picture

I do remember looking for the FOD in the Carnival newsletter and don't remember seeing it at the time. From what I've heard and read, Celebrity is far superior to Carnival in terms of clientele. Also it tends to be a older more sedate crowd. I'm 38, so probably too old for the circuit party crowd with the young 20 year olds but will I be too young for the FOD Celebrity crowd? I enjoy meeting people of all age groups, am I correct to assume many of the gay men on Celebrity cruises will be over 50 and coupled? In that case I may not have much in common with them. Hope I'm not coming across as ageist. I definitely don't want to sound that way. Just looking for other singles around my age with similar interests...

Thanks for the input!
Well, I'm not sure that "superior" is quite the right adjective. Adjectives like "more upscale" and "classier" are closer to the truth. That may or may not be your preference, but it's obviously what you have booked.

That said, I'm not persuaded that the distribution of ages on Celebrity and Carnival is much different. If your cruise coincides with school vacation in just about any part of the country, you'll find a lot of parents with children of school age. If your cruise does not coincide with school vacation, the absence of families with children may skew the distibution somewhat older, but such skewing would also occur on Carnival.

I'm also not persuaded that Celebrity's crowd is all that sedate. They tend to be quieter, but many do participate in very active shore excursions such as scuba diving, hikes through rain forests, swimming, and snorkeling. Where you'll notice the difference probably will be places like in the dining room and the buffet area, where the background noise is lower because the conversations at other tables are quieter. You also will find that your siesta by the pool won't be disrupted by announcements of imminent activities throughout the afternoon.

As to meeting other singles, there's no guarantee. OTOH, I have met singles who were either thirty-something or forty-something on nearly all of my Celebrity cruises. More importantly, if Celebrity is a better reflection of your tastes and style than Carnival, you are more likely to meet other singles with whom you might find a match on Celebrity.

Norm.
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Thanks :)

Thanks Norm, you do make a lot of sense, the only basis of comparison I have right now is my Carnival cruise 3 years ago. And I was pretty happy with that one, but actually mainly for three reasons, 1) they for some weird reason upgrade us 2 levels to balcony status which was awesome and 2) our room was in a very quiet area even though there were a lot of kids on board and 3) 6 of the 7 days was sunny and warm!

I'm looking forward to trying another cruiseline, and yes I very much like the idea of having more respectful guests on board, and what I didn't like about Carnival were those constant announcements and all the aggressive sales tactics on board and on shore, but I'm sure you get that with all the cruiselines.

If you have any links or sites I can take a look at before I go it would be much appreciated! I have until March 31st to get prepared![

quote="Rev22:17"]RJ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

Thanks for the input!
Well, I'm not sure that "superior" is quite the right adjective. Adjectives like "more upscale" and "classier" are closer to the truth. That may or may not be your preference, but it's obviously what you have booked.

That said, I'm not persuaded that the distribution of ages on Celebrity and Carnival is much different. If your cruise coincides with school vacation in just about any part of the country, you'll find a lot of parents with children of school age. If your cruise does not coincide with school vacation, the absence of families with children may skew the distibution somewhat older, but such skewing would also occur on Carnival.

I'm also not persuaded that Celebrity's crowd is all that sedate. They tend to be quieter, but many do participate in very active shore excursions such as scuba diving, hikes through rain forests, swimming, and snorkeling. Where you'll notice the difference probably will be places like in the dining room and the buffet area, where the background noise is lower because the conversations at other tables are quieter. You also will find that your siesta by the pool won't be disrupted by announcements of imminent activities throughout the afternoon.

As to meeting other singles, there's no guarantee. OTOH, I have met singles who were either thirty-something or forty-something on nearly all of my Celebrity cruises. More importantly, if Celebrity is a better reflection of your tastes and style than Carnival, you are more likely to meet other singles with whom you might find a match on Celebrity.

Norm.[/quote]
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Admiral

RJ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If you have any links or sites I can take a look at before I go it would be much appreciated! I have until March 31st to get prepared!
The most important web site is that of [url=http://www.celebrity.com]Celebrity Cruises. If you have not already done so, go to the "My Celebrity" link, create a registraion, log in, go to "My Reservations," add your booking, seect "Manage My Reservation" for the booking, select the "View/Modify" button next to the "Guests and Documentation Summary" heading, complete all of the documentation forms, and print out an "Express Pass" for you and your mother. This will spare you the need to fill out paper forms containing the same information, and the Express Passes will expedite the boarding process considerably. It's also possible to reserve shore excursions through Celebrity's web site if you wish to do so.

Norm.