Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Passenger

Default Millenium refurbishing

Is Millenium still scheduled for refurbishing in April?
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Millenium is going into drydock to install auxiliary diesel generators and is not and has not been scheduled for a refurbishment. This is a common misconception when people see the word drydock. Drydock is done to maintain or repair items that can't be done while at sea. Although they will probably do some sprucing up of the ship that is not the primary purpose of the drydock.

Don
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Passenger

Thanks. I knew there was a distinction but couldn't remember which of the two (drydock or refurbishment) was scheduled for April (, senior moment at 60!). We are scheduled for the Med. Cruise June 18 and, quite frankly, given the pod problems, are happy with drydock over refurbishment.
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired
Millenium is going into drydock to install auxiliary diesel generators and is not and has not been scheduled for a refurbishment. This is a common misconception when people see the word drydock. Drydock is done to maintain or repair items that can't be done while at sea. Although they will probably do some sprucing up of the ship that is not the primary purpose of the drydock.
Splitting hairs, I doubt that she will go into a drydock for installation of the emergency diesel unless they are doing work on the hull, etc., at the same time. A drydock is just what its name implies -- a facility to take the ship out of the water to permit work on the underwater portion of the hull and underwater machinery (propellers, external bearings, shaft seals, bow and stern thrusters, etc.) and appendages (rudders, stabilizers, etc.). The installation of a generator is normally done at a fitting out pier, where the ship remains in the water, rather than in a drydock.

Norm.
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:53 AM
First Mate

Good evening, Norm

Actually, she'll need a drydock anyways....RollsRoyce is re-fitting her ( and GTS Constellation when she goes thru the same diesel auxilliary install a bit later in the spring) with re-designed or /and re-engineered bearings for the Pods....with the hope that this new product's shelf l.ife is somewhat longer than what we've seen so far....

IMO

Cheers
Claude G

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:21 PM
Admiral

Claude,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Actually, she'll need a drydock anyways....RollsRoyce is re-fitting her ( and GTS Constellation when she goes thru the same diesel auxilliary install a bit later in the spring) with re-designed or /and re-engineered bearings for the Pods....
You're right. I had forgotten about that nuace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
... with the hope that this new product's shelf l.ife is somewhat longer than what we've seen so far....
It reminds me of an old "Peanuts" strip in which Charlie Brown and Linus are standing behind a stone wall, where Charlie Brown is lamenting yet another loss. Linus replies, "Well, I guess you win some and you lose some, Charlie Brown!" Charlie Brown ponders the comment for a moment, then says, "Gee, that would be nice!"

But there is hope....

Norm.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:39 AM
Beginner

Hi Cruismates,

I have understood from feedback from those doing the transatlantic that there will be some sprucing up of public areas on Millenium while in drydock.

New Carpets in public areas.
Re VArnishing woodwork.
New pillows/cusshions on loungers.

Plus general sprucing up.

So Millie should be looking good to go for the summer itineries!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
First Mate

Good evening,
Add retiling of one of the pools to that menu, and a hull paint job.
If sh'e out of service for that long, might as well get the hotel maintenance list caught up to date !!!

Cheers
Claude

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:51 PM
First Mate

Does this mean the pod problem is solved? Hope they don't change too much else on the M class--they are lovely ships!
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Admiral

hcat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Does this mean the pod problem is solved?
It means that the pod manufacturer has acknowledged that there was a problem and is supplying pods with a new design.

We all hope that the new design has solved all of the problems in the pod units, but I'm not exactly optimistic. The fact that the original design was defective indicates that the pod manufacturers' engineering staff was less than competent, and I'm not aware of any reason to believe that it has gained competence in the intervening years. Thus, I see no reason to expect, a priori, that the new design will be any better than the original.

Of course, we won't know whether the new design is an improvement or not until we see how it performs in service. Let's give it three or four years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hope they don't change too much else on the M class--they are lovely ships!
These ships are getting three significant changes.

>> 1. FBOW, the two level space above the atrium on the Penthouse Deck and the Vista Deck becomes six standard inside cabins with numbers 6901, 6093, and 6905 on the Penthouse Deck and 7901, 7903, and 7905 on the Vista Deck. (IIRC, this space was originally the "Notes" music library on some of the ships.)

>> 2. The opening into the Rendez-Vous Lounge between the Martini Bar and the Champagne Bar is getting plugged, with the rail removed and a grand piano in the center of the plug. This change is a genuinie improvement, as it creates a nice piano lounge with both the Champagne Bar and the Martini Bar. (I suspect that the Champagne Bar will evolve into more of a general wine bar over time.)

>> 3. The elliptical two level space aft of the nightclub on the port side of the Sunrise Deck and the Sports Deck, originally configured as "The Conservatory" aboard GTS Millennium and either "Notes" or "The Tower" on the other vessels, is becoming a new teen club. This is also a genuine improvement, giving the teens a decent hangout away from the younger children.

These changes are fait accompli aboard GTS Infinity, as they happened when she went into drydock for pod repair last September. The last might not occur aboard GTS Millennium, as the current teen club ("Extreme") is in the location occupied by "The Conservatory" aboard the other three vessels. OTOH, it would seem advantageous to move "The Conservatory" to a space that's on one level while the bilevel space seems to be a good setup for the teen club....

And the bottom line is that the "Notes" music library is going away, apparently because the I-Pod and similar devices made it unprofitable.

Norm.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I thought Notes was removed from the Millennium in Nov./Dec. 2005. We had a cabin on deck 7 and Notes was closed as they were supposed to be converiting it to accupuncture. At least that is what we were told.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Admiral

daysatsea,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I thought Notes was removed from the Millennium in Nov./Dec. 2005. We had a cabin on deck 7 and Notes was closed as they were supposed to be converiting it to accupuncture. At least that is what we were told.
Yes, they had the acupuncture there for a while on all of the ships of the Millennium class. I think that they are moving the acupuncture into the spa now.

Norm.