Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Beginner

Default Dress attire

Hi all. Is the dress code for dinner on the Galaxy as structured as it sounds? We are leaving on Monday for an 11 night cruise from San Juan to the southern Caribbean. Would really appreciate some help, as I have to start packing.

Take care,

Doreen (dorish)
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Yes it is, Celebrity is one of the more formal cruise lines..

Don
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dress attire

Doreen ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hi all. Is the dress code for dinner on the Galaxy as structured as it sounds? We are leaving on Monday for an 11 night cruise from San Juan to the southern Caribbean. Would really appreciate some help, as I have to start packing.
I second Don's answer. On Celebrity, the best advice is to take the suggested attire literally and err on the side of overdressing if in doubt.

I posted separate packing lists for gents and for ladies for a fourteen night Celebrity cruise, along with a lot of pointers, in the first post in this thread over on the "Cruise Dress and Packing" board. You'll need to adjust the quantites, which should be quite easy. If you change all of the 15's to 12's (unless you need more "casual" outfits for a hotel stay before or after your cruise) and the 4's to 3's on the "informal" attire, it should be about right. Of course, you also might want to make some of the other adjustments identified in my notes depending upon your plans for activities during the cruise.

I did your itinerary aboard MV Galaxy last January. She is in great shape, and all of the ports of call are fantastic! The only deficiency proved to be a shortage of days at sea. And in case somebody has not tipped you off, be sure to stock up on spices while you are in Grenada! They are quite reasonable. If you go to the far end of the mall by the new cruise ship pier, there are small booths where prices are lower than in the shops and you can negotiate discounts with the venders. They are quite willing to come down, especially if you are buying several jars of spices.

Have a fantastic cruise!

Norm.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:12 PM
Passenger

We just took the Galaxy to southern carribean. People were not dressed up in tux's and the women wore nice dresses or pants outfits. On the Freedom of the Sea's it was very dressy. I think the majority of the men wore tux's. We got to bring on booze too. We purchased it in a store at the port terminal in San Juan. We bought 2 bottles of Grey Goose and one bottle of Don Q. We also bought coke and tonic on . The prices at the terminal were cheap. I was surprized they allowed us to bring it on. We had a good time. We did not automatically have the tips put on our charge. We used envelopes. Hope you have a good time
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollrud
We just took the Galaxy to southern carribean. People were not dressed up in tux's and the women wore nice dresses or pants outfits. On the Freedom of the Sea's it was very dressy. I think the majority of the men wore tux's. We got to bring on booze too. We purchased it in a store at the port terminal in San Juan. We bought 2 bottles of Grey Goose and one bottle of Don Q. We also bought coke and tonic on . The prices at the terminal were cheap. I was surprized they allowed us to bring it on. We had a good time. We did not automatically have the tips put on our charge. We used envelopes. Hope you have a good time
I know the original posters have already left and returned, but hopefully this will be appropriate for future readers-

I have to agree with Mollrud. Celebrity does NOT enforce the dress code, much to our distaste. We always follow the dress code, to the "T". On formal night, it's interesting to see the number of men who don't follow the dress code-and even on the semi-formal, or casual nights, to see many men just don't care, or put on a jacket. We've seen men and women in "dress" black jeans, or even a pull over shirt which didn't seem appropriate. On the other hand, it feels good to put on the pomp and circumstance and dress up. People behave differently when they do.
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Mermen -
Celebrity does not usually enforce the dress code - but there have been instances where it has been. (I have personally seen someone turned away from the theater on a formal night who changed after dinner on a formal night.) To say "Celebrity does NOT enforce the dress code" is a disservice to others who may take that as the law and be on the one particular cruise and/or night where the dress code is enforced.
When people ask me about dress code, I usually reply that Celebrity has three types of evening dress which according to the daily is required in public areas of the ship for the evening with the exception of the pool deck. The enforcement of the dress code is sporadic.
That leaves it to them to make the decision about what to do.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysatsea
Mermen -
Celebrity does not usually enforce the dress code - but there have been instances where it has been. (I have personally seen someone turned away from the theater on a formal night who changed after dinner on a formal night.) To say "Celebrity does NOT enforce the dress code" is a disservice to others who may take that as the law and be on the one particular cruise and/or night where the dress code is enforced.
When people ask me about dress code, I usually reply that Celebrity has three types of evening dress which according to the daily is required in public areas of the ship for the evening with the exception of the pool deck. The enforcement of the dress code is sporadic.
That leaves it to them to make the decision about what to do.
Thanks for your correction.

MY experience is that Celebrity does not enforce the dress code at dinner (except in the paid restaurants). And I have spoken to the management AND staff in the dining room, simply to ask if the dress code was a requirement. I had always assumed that the dress code was a requirement. How can there be a code or a requirement if restrictions are not in place? That would make it a "suggested dress" or an "optional dress"...I have never seen enforcement on Celebrity.

The concept behind a forum is for everyone to share their own experience, and for each person to make their own decision. My opinion and statement is not a disservice. It is my experience and my opinion-just as yours is.
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Mermen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
MY experience is that Celebrity does not enforce the dress code at dinner (except in the paid restaurants). And I have spoken to the management AND staff in the dining room, simply to ask if the dress code was a requirement. I had always assumed that the dress code was a requirement. How can there be a code or a requirement if restrictions are not in place? That would make it a "suggested dress" or an "optional dress"...I have never seen enforcement on Celebrity.

The concept behind a forum is for everyone to share their own experience, and for each person to make their own decision. My opinion and statement is not a disservice. It is my experience and my opinion-just as yours is.
I have to agree with "daysatsea" regarding the disservice issue for a couple reasons.

>> 1. Aboard Celebrity's ships, "Celebrity Today" now states that "the prescribed evening dress is required throughout the ship after 6:00 PM except in designated casual areas" (boldface in original). Thus, there's no ambiguity in the published policy.

>> 2. The norms of social etiquette dictate that the "suggested" or "requested" attire for a social event is mandatory, and compliance is expected. Thus, enforcement of the evening dress code simply does not enter into the question. Also, in this context, advising people that it's okay NOT to follow the established norms of social etiquette on these boards would reflect extremely negatively on the CruiseMates site.

>> 3. On nearly all Celebrity cruises, over 99% of the passengers do comply with the evening dress codes. Anybody reading your post and deciding not to dress according to the dress code who has any sort of social concience would feel grossly out of place. To put somebody who asks the question in that position does a gross disservice to the person who asks the question.

>> 4. As others have noted (and I also have seen staff turn passengers who did not conform to the dress code away from both the dining room and the theater), some of Celebrity's staff DO enforce the dress code on some Celebrity cruises. Again, it does a gross disservice to those who are legitimately looking for information to give advice that may put them in the position of being turned away.

BTW, I have seen reports that #3 and #4 are not true of the four night and five night cruises to the Caribbean aboard MV Century. I think that Celebrity would be well advised to discontinue these itineraries and refocus on the segment of the population that the line has traditionally served in order to preserve the clarity of its branding. And in this context, the announcement that the line's new "all casual" product will be known as "Azamara Cruises" rather than "Celebrity Expeditions" (which means that the ships acquired from Pullmantur Cruises will become MV Azamara Journey and MV Azamara Quest rather than MV Celebrity Journey and MV Celebrity Quest, respectively) is also a good marketing move.

Norm.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
BTW, I have seen reports that #3 and #4 are not true of the four night and five night cruises to the Caribbean aboard MV Century. I think that Celebrity would be well advised to discontinue these itineraries and refocus on the segment of the population that the line has traditionally served in order to preserve the clarity of its branding. And in this context, the announcement that the line's new "all casual" product will be known as "Azamara Cruises" rather than "Celebrity Expeditions" (which means that the ships acquired from Pullmantur Cruises will become MV Azamara Journey and MV Azamara Quest rather than MV Celebrity Journey and MV Celebrity Quest, respectively) is also a good marketing move.

Norm.
I don't think Celebrity will discontinue these shorter cruises too soon based on what I have observed on a two day Celebrity cruise. First of all, shorter cruises bring in new people who have not cruised Celebrity before and secondly, I think people on short cruises tend to spend more aboard the ship. I know that on our two day, one of the bars had to stop admitting people because it was filled to capacity and all the lounges had people 3 and 4 deep at the bar. It seems like on short cruises, there are more party people than on a longer Celebrity cruise which of course generates more revenue. The downside is that those of us who normally cruise for 14 days and consider 7 days a short cruise are being left behind to find other lines.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, not to split hairs, but on my last cruise, 99% of the passengers (specifically men) did NOT follow the "required" dress code. As I said, the purpose of the board is to express each and everyone's own personal experience.

It is not a disservice. It is my experience. And it is not only my experience, but other passengers I met and spoke with on our last cruise.

Enough of the pissing contest. I understand your opinion and respectfully will agree to disagree with you-let's not police each others threads any longer.
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Admiral

daysatsea,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I don't think Celebrity will discontinue these shorter cruises too soon based on what I have observed on a two day Celebrity cruise. First of all, shorter cruises bring in new people who have not cruised Celebrity before and secondly, I think people on short cruises tend to spend more aboard the ship. I know that on our two day, one of the bars had to stop admitting people because it was filled to capacity and all the lounges had people 3 and 4 deep at the bar. It seems like on short cruises, there are more party people than on a longer Celebrity cruise which of course generates more revenue. The downside is that those of us who normally cruise for 14 days and consider 7 days a short cruise are being left behind to find other lines.
Unfortunately, shorter cruises on all lines have notoriously drawn a rowdier crowd that inflicts a lot more wear and tear on a vessel and its decor. In the case of a "premium" line like Celebrity, this will translate into more frequent overhauls of passenger spaces to maintain them to the standards that the line's passengers rightfully expect. Also, if the rowdier passengers start taking longer cruises, it is likely that their hard partying style will drive away many of the line's loyal repeat passengers.

Also, speaking strictly from a business perspective, dilution of a brand's identity is never a good thing. Celebrity has a reputation for a certain quality and style of product that appeals to a significant segment of the population. If the line dilutes that, much of that segment of the population will go elsewhere.

Norm.
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Mermen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Well, not to split hairs, but on my last cruise, 99% of the passengers (specifically men) did NOT follow the "required" dress code.
On the short cruises (four or five nights) to the Caribbean aboard MV Century, my sources indicate that noncompliance with the published dress codes is generally quite high (probably around fifty percent) and that the staff have given up trying to enforce it. Nonetheless, the suggestion that only one man in one hundred complied with the dress code is beyond the bounds of absurd, even for those cruises. I mean, that does not even pass what my former boss fondly calls the "snicker test" (as in "so incredulous that the audience would snicker if you were to say it during a presentation").

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Enough of the pissing contest.
You are engaging in a "pissing contest"???

I don't have time for those. I'm just trying to make sure that the original poster is getting accurate information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I understand your opinion and respectfully will agree to disagree with you-let's not police each others threads any longer.
No, we need to point out errors and bad advice. If we fail to do so, people who rely on these boards for accurate information won't get the information that they need -- and that would be a gross disservice to those who ask questions. I'm sorry if that fact ruffles your feathers.

Norm.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Admiral

i find this pretty funny: the OP posted the question before she left on her cruise almost 2 months ago; I really don't think it makes any difference now, but for those who may just be joining the thread, even on our 5 night Zenith cruise Celebrity was pretty structered. They, not only excpected you to dress for the evening in the recommended dress code, but to stay in the same clothes throughout the evening. NMnita