Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Beginner

Default celebrity vs princess

Planning an Alaskan cruise in 2008. Will be staying in a mini-suite. Food and accomodations are more improtant to me than itinerary.

Choices are Golden Princess or Celberity's Infinity.

Can anyone give me a comparison of Princess vs Celebrity, and in particular, Golden Princess vs. Infinity from a mini-suite accomodation and overall food perspective?

Is Celebrity worth the extra money?
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have sailed both Princess and Celebrity for many years....We give the edge to Celebrity for food and dining room service. Princess offers a good product, however we dont like the number of passengers that the larger(Grand and above) Princess ships carry.
If you were cruising the Sun Princess or Island Princess I think they offer a good product.
The Infinty is our least favorite ship in the Celebrity fleet.(we just have had okay cruises when sailing her-nothing special)
As far as pricing....we get better deals on Celebrity than Princess.(usually)
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM
First Mate

have sailed both lines and this past year Princess has had better pricing in almost all instances.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Sterling Silver

I see that both the Golden Princess and the Summit are in Juneau today. They are beautiful. Too bad it is cloudy (no rain today). We have been on the Summit and the Caribbean Princess, both sister ships to what you are choosing between and we loved them both.
I would simply give the nod to the Golden Princess because it is a much newer vessel.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
Passenger

OK I really like Celebrity over all but I will try and break it down. In embarkation portside both equal however shipboard princess had us do some winding thing through the ship in order for us to have the opportunity to be occosted by drink cards etc while lugging our own luggage. Celebrity took our luggage and a direct route to our room. Celebrity only felt crowded when trying to leave the ship on time for a tour. Princess felt crowded several times when trying to eat at a buffet, trying to get a chair on deck, trying to get from place to place during what you would think would be not a busy time. Celebrity I exercised a lot and gained 4 lbs. Princess I never exercised and lossed 7 lbs. Both were 7 day cruises. That should tell you about the food. Disembarkation ran a lot quicker on Princess and I am hoping that my Celebrity cruise in Dec will show me that they have changed their ways. Also if you are a non smoker my experience was that, at least with the particular crews I had experience with Celebrity enforced that non smoking side of ship where Princess did not.
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: celebrity vs princess

anewcruiser,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Planning an Alaskan cruise in 2008. Will be staying in a mini-suite. Food and accomodations are more improtant to me than itinerary.

Choices are Golden Princess or Celberity's Infinity.

Can anyone give me a comparison of Princess vs Celebrity, and in particular, Golden Princess vs. Infinity from a mini-suite accomodation and overall food perspective?
For me, it's no contest. MV Grand Princess, which is a sister to MV Golden Princess, has absolutely the most dysfunctional layout of any ship on which I have ever cruised -- and every one of Princess's "Post-Panamax" vessels (including MV Golden Princess) have copied all of the flaws. Add in the difficulty in getting assigned to "Traditional Dining" on Princess's post-Panamax vessels, on which it's available to only one third of the passengers, unless one books very early, and I won't go near any of those tubs if there's any choice in the matter. If I were to consider a cruise with Princess, it would be aboard a ship of the Sun Princess class, the Coral Princess class, or the R1 class. The vessels of the Sun Princess class, BTW, have positively the best overall layout of the vessels on which I have cruised, and I have been on each of them more than once. All of Celebrity's vessels have also have good functional layouts, though, so I would not choose a vessel of the Sun Princess class solely on that basis.

Amplifying on Princess's "Anytime Dining" gimmick, I should point out that those who have it generally receive inferior service and none of the "freedom" that it perports to provide. The ship times seatings of the "Traditional Dining" arrangement to mesh with the shows and other evening entertainment, so most passengers assigned to "Anytime Dining" end up dining -- or at least trying to dine -- within a few minutes of the seatings for "Traditional Dining" anyway. Also, in "Traditional Dining," your waiter and assistant waiter get to know your preferences on the first couple nights of the cruise so they can anticipate your requests thereafter. That's not possible in "Anytime Dining" -- well, not unless you make a standing reservation for the whole cruise, which also defeats the flexibility that "Anytime Dining" supposedly provides.

Cabins between the two lines are pretty similar overall, and cabin attendants are equally attentive. The "minisuites" aboard Princess's "Post-Panamax" ships are basically somewhat larger standard balcony cabins with a small sitting area -- nowhere near as nice as those on the Sun Princess class.

Food is largely a matter of taste. I actually prefer Princess's dining room menus because they provide more varied styles of cuisine, whereas Celebrity's dining room menus are very strongly French, but both lines have outstanding cuisine and your tastes may differ from mine. Overall, I think that Princess's negatives outweigh the difference in styles of cuisine and thus cruise with Celebrity even though I prefer Princess's menus.

There is one additional difference of which you should be aware. On Princess, the "formal" evenings are supposed to be "modified formal" but there seemed to be a significant number of passengers who thought that "Personal Choice Cruising" meant that they did not have to dress accordingly, and it really detracted from the ambiance of the "formal" evenings. Also, the rest of the evenings on Princess are now "casual" -- there are no "informal" or "semiformal" evenings. Celebrity still holds "informal" evenings in addition to "formal" evenings, so only about half of the evenings are "casual" on Celebrity. Also, nearly all of Celebrity's passengers seem to comply with the prescribed standards of dress (sometimes enforced, but not consistently) so the few who don't really do look (and probably feel) grossly out of place.

Finally, regarding itinerary, I strongly recommend a "Gulf of Alaska" cruise rather than an "Inside Passage" cruise as it's worth spending at least a couple nights in Anchorage after your cruise. Anchorage is a fabulous city with many great restaurants, stores that carry unique products that you won't find in the "lower forty-eight," many points of interest that you will encounter as you wander through the downtown area, and many weekend festivals and events. It's also a great base for day trips to destinations like Talkeetna (which offers spectacular views of Mount McKinley, the world's tallest mountain, on a clear day), Whittier (for a boat tour of College Fjord, which is even more spectacular than Glacier Bay), Seward, and the Mount Alyeska Resort if you wish to rent a car. And if your ship disembarks in Seward, be sure to book the "Grandview Rail Transfer" because it has spectacular scenery, food and beverage service, and room to get up and walk around while en route. Practically speaking, this means booking your cruise to Alaska aboard GTS Millennium rather than aboard GTS Infinity if you choose to cruise there with Celebrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Is Celebrity worth the extra money?
I think so. Of course, YMMV.

Norm.
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Sterling Silver,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I would simply give the nod to the Golden Princess because it is a much newer vessel.
Both of these ships entered service in 2001. The difference in age is a matter of months.

That said, I am sure that both vessels are very well maintained. GTS Infinity was in outstanding condition during my cruise to Hawai'i aboard her last fall.

Norm.
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Admiral

Norm - I thought the first Panamax ships were the Coral and the Island and that the Grand and Golden pre-dated both of them.

I've never sailed on either of the Gs but have on both the Coral and Island and love them both. Also, agree with you about the Sun class - and now they're shifting the Sun to Australia ... too bad for this cruiser who likes to sail out of FLL.

Having recently sailed on both the expanded Century for Celebrity (a New Year's cruise) and the Coral Princess in April (my 3rd voyage on her), I have to say that Princess's food far surpasses Celebrity's - as does the dining room service. However, on the Century, I had dinner in Muranos (the extra cost restaurant for 3 of the 5 nights of that cruise) and it was outstanding BUT the regular dining room for the other 2 nights was awful - as to food and service. Then I did a back-to-back on the Century for 2 more nights - also in the regular dining room and it, too, was atrocious.

As to Alaska cruises, never took one and don't want to - gave up cold plus I saw the Norwegian fjords years ago, but that's just my opinion.

From many postings, it has sounded like Princess has an outstanding itinerary and great shore excursions ... have no idea what Celebrity offers

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Admiral

CruzNut,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm - I thought the first Panamax ships were the Coral and the Island and that the Grand and Golden pre-dated both of them.
That's right.

In the shipping business, "Panamax" means that a ship is built to the largest dimensions permitted to transit the Panama Canal while "post-Panamax" means that a ship is too big to transit the Panama Canal. Thus, the ships of Princess's Grand Princess class, the Diamond Princess class, and the Caribbean Princess class and Celebrity's Solstice class are all "post-Panamax" vessels while the ships of Celebrity's Millennium class and Princess's Coral Princess class are "Panamax" vessels. These terms say nothing about the order in which the line built the ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
As to Alaska cruises, never took one and don't want to - gave up cold plus I saw the Norwegian fjords years ago, but that's just my opinion.
Your loss. Alaska is the richest of all destinations with more variety of attractions and influences and more variety of shore excursions and activities than any other. In fact, each of Alaska's major ports of call now offer over fifty distinct shore excursions! And what do you like? There's the absolute beauty of gorgeous virgin landscapes and glaciers, an incredible abundance of indigenous flora and fauna, the indigenous cultures of American Indian and Eskimo tribes, the Russian heritage, the history of the Gold Rush era, the salmon and crab industries, abundant agriculture (long hours of daylight more than compensate for the shortness of the growig season), and the modern influence of the Alaskan pipeline and the petroleum industry, all coexisting in wonderful harmony.

As to weather, the cruise ships go to Alaska only in the summer when the weather is generally quite pleasant. You can expect rain and temperatures in the upper 60's around Ketchikan, which is in the midst of a temperate rain forest, but areas further north -- including Skagway, Anchorage, Denali, and Fairbanks -- tend to be sunny and much warmer, with daytime temperatues in the upper 70's or lower 80's, and nowhere near as humid as Florida at that time of year.

You really owe it to yourself to visit The Great Land at least once in your life!

Norm.
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:25 AM
First Mate

Well put Norm and we lived in Alaska for 18 years and enjoyed every minute of it Obviously many oyhers are seeing the beauty as more and more tourists coming every year and extending their cruise experience to more than one week.
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Admiral

tennisbum,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Well put Norm and we lived in Alaska for 18 years and enjoyed every minute of it Obviously many oyhers are seeing the beauty as more and more tourists coming every year and extending their cruise experience to more than one week.
On my last visit to Anchorage, I met a gent who was a native of Falmouth, Massachusetts, who was a vendor in the outdoor market. Falmouth is on Cape Cod, which has about the least extreme weather, both summer and winter, in all of New England. The gent said that he first went to Alaska because the Army sent him there, and that he decided to stay at the end of his enlistment for two reasons.

His first reason was that the summers were milder.

And his second reason was that the winters were milder.

Norm.