Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Passenger

Default GALAXY REFIT

I have had it confirmed today from cellebrity that the Galaxy's refit is to be carried out in April 08.

Although i am sailing on her in march 08, i did have concerns about the ship but cellebrity have assured me there may be a odd carpet and a few light fitting's that need changing, overall the ship is still at the five star rating and the service on board is as good as any other cellebrity ship.

Please post me if you are cruising on board between now and march 08
Any feedback would be appreciated
Thanks Angie
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: GALAXY REFIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMayMay
I have had it confirmed today from cellebrity that the Galaxy's refit is to be carried out in April 08.

Although i am sailing on her in march 08, i did have concerns about the ship but cellebrity have assured me there may be a odd carpet and a few light fitting's that need changing, overall the ship is still at the five star rating and the service on board is as good as any other cellebrity ship.

Thanks Angie
Who confirmed this as Celebrity has made no public announcements on any changes to Galaxy. There have been many, many rumors on the ships being stretched, modified, etc, most of which have not been true or greatly exagerated. Many of these rumors have come from high ranking officers on board and have proven to be just rumors. I realize there is a hole in Galaxy's schedule next year but don't believe anything until Celebrity announces it.....

If you heard this from Celebrity's customer service, they are perhaps the worse source of info you can get. Last week they swore to someone that the Celebrity ships have a buffet for dinner which they of course have never had fleetwide...

Don
Old June 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Passenger

The information came from my cellebrity agent who booked our cruise, she had words with cellebrity this morning regarding my concerns, it was then that they said the refit was going ahead for april. so im keeping my fingers crossed that all is ok as they said she is still at the five star standard.

Angie
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Beginner

If you look at Celebrity.com there are no sailings publicized for the Month of May. They had a May 19 and May 30 sailing for the Galaxy. I called and received the following answer from Customer service.
1. it is marked code Red
2. it has been chartered
3. the sailing are closed

If you call group reservations they took confirm that it is marked code red and they told me that if the ship was chartered it would be marked chartered.

Yesterday I had a customer service rep give me prices and was told there are cabins avilable for the May 30th sailing on the Galaxy. Today I asked her to confirm that this in fact is the case and have not heard back as yet.

I find it VERY odd that Celebrity has the entire month block for this ship in prime selling season. It only took them two weeks to refurbish the Century, so something more must be going on with this ship.

Mt travel agent states it is going into dry dock.

If anyone finds anything out for sure please let us know.

Why would Celebrity keep this a secret?
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:15 PM
First Mate

We are booked for an E Medit cruise for Nov 08 do pls keep us posted...
Would love to have the benefit of a refurbished ship but hope the time table won't change for the work...
Old June 27th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Tcocktail,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If you look at Celebrity.com there are no sailings publicized for the Month of May. They had a May 19 and May 30 sailing for the Galaxy. I called and received the following answer from Customer service.
1. it is marked code Red
2. it has been chartered
3. the sailing are closed

If you call group reservations they took confirm that it is marked code red and they told me that if the ship was chartered it would be marked chartered.

Yesterday I had a customer service rep give me prices and was told there are cabins avilable for the May 30th sailing on the Galaxy. Today I asked her to confirm that this in fact is the case and have not heard back as yet.

I find it VERY odd that Celebrity has the entire month block for this ship in prime selling season. It only took them two weeks to refurbish the Century, so something more must be going on with this ship.

Mt travel agent states it is going into dry dock.

If anyone finds anything out for sure please let us know.

Why would Celebrity keep this a secret?
Your analysis is a bit off. The month of May is not exactly peak season for cruise lines. In fact, this is the lull between the "spring break" season (which actually runs from about the middle of February through the last full week of April due to variations in school schedules across the United States and Canada) and the summer vacation season (which starts to ramp up at the beginning of June and starts to ramp down in the middle of August, again due to variations in school schedules). Thus, from the cruise line's perspective, May is an optimal time for both charters and yard visits precisely because there is a lull in bookings.

Norm.
Old June 30th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Admiral

I agree with Norm and I do personally believe it will be going in for renovations during that period. The only point I'm trying to make is don't believe anything until Celebrity makes an official announcement. That is Celebrity making an official annoucement and not a Captain, sales rep, etc. because in the past they have been more wrong than right.

Don
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I agree with Norm and I do personally believe it will be going in for renovations during that period. The only point I'm trying to make is don't believe anything until Celebrity makes an official announcement. That is Celebrity making an official annoucement and not a Captain, sales rep, etc. because in the past they have been more wrong than right.
Unfortunately, you are absolutely right. The line's representatives have been a major source of misinformation for some time now. Even the company's press releases are not as trustworthy as they should be, like the announcement that the two ships coming over from Pullmantur would sail under the "Celebrity Expeditions" brand... and then the sudden announcement of the "Azamara Cruises" brand at the first ship's inaugural....

Norm.
Old July 4th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Unfortunately, you are absolutely right. The line's representatives have been a major source of misinformation for some time now. Even the company's press releases are not as trustworthy as they should be, like the announcement that the two ships coming over from Pullmantur would sail under the "Celebrity Expeditions" brand... and then the sudden announcement of the "Azamara Cruises" brand at the first ship's inaugural....

Norm.
I agree, I remember all the rumors that the Century was going to be stretched like the one Royal Caribbean ship. I remember someone commenting that if you believed the rumors about the stretch you could get on the ship in Ft. Lauderdale and walk to the other end of the ship in Nassau without it leaving the dock. Just a little humor but it proves the point.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

After just getting off the Century 2 wks ago from its Artic Circle voyage I hope Celebrity pays more attention the the bath area's on the Galaxy then they did on the Century.
The new bath sink is just like a big pasta bowel.....It's not very functional and bath tiles in all baths should have been replaced. Overall the ship is fine though.
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM
First Mate

I have to agree abt the sinks on century --we were on Century in the carib & just washing out a swimsuit was a splashy event. We will be back on for a longer trip in Europe & won;t be washing anything... I would bet though that we get those sinks on Ga;axy anyhow
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Beginner

Default Galaxy Refurbishment Schedule

Yesterday (09/11/07), Celebrity confirmed that the Galaxy will be undergoing an overhaul starting in April, with completion scheduled by May 19th, 2007.
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Passenger

The following webpage, specializing news of passenger ships, mentions a refit due for the Galaxy in April 2008.
http://raflucgr.ra.funpic.de/toppage66.htm

If correct, the work would have to take place between finishing it's St Juan-based cruises on April 18 and setting out for Europe from Miami on May 03, 2008.

If the work is to be similar to that carried out on Mercury, as the news item states, the improvements will be in a number of key areas on the ship, including:

Carpeting, recovering chairs (leather & fabric), walls & drapes, wood panelling, floor tiles in Spa, matresses in cabins, new pool decking.

From what I've read on various boards about perceived problems on the Galaxy, this should go a long way towards solving many of them. From this list, it is clear that Celebrity agrees with many of these critisims and is doing something about it.
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuk
The following webpage, specializing news of passenger ships, mentions a refit due for the Galaxy in April 2008.
http://raflucgr.ra.funpic.de/toppage66.htm

If the work is to be similar to that carried out on Mercury, as the news item states, the improvements will be in a number of key areas on the ship, including:

We just booked the galaxy for it's December 19, 2008 run... so we will be getting a first hand look at a refurbished ship...I was hoping this would be somewhat of a duplication of the century .. time will tell!
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:44 PM
Captain

Default Re: GALAXY REFIT

Quote:

Thanks Angie
Hi Angie,

I agree with the Celebrity rep when they said "that you will still receive five star service and good food". The matter of the present condition of the Galaxy is, from all reports that I have heard, not good. There are an awful lot of things that have been let go for far too long in the way of normal ship's maintenance. The assurance from Celebrity that "the ship is still at the five star rating" is in most everyone's opinion that I have talked to, just not the truth. Unfortunately Celebrity customer service is not the most upfront place to get that kind of information. That said, a cruise the first of March to a warm place is always a good thing.
Enjoy and have a great cruise.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Beginner

Five star?? Stateroom toilets that constantly break down, water dripping from the corridor ceiling and having to avoid buckets and towels placed in the middle of the floor - of that's what Celebrity calls five-star I'd hate to see how they define one star! Guest relations are no help - they must deem such a state of affairs quite acceptable as tbhey do not belive in providing fair compensation. And that was in August 2007 - Lord knows the state of that ship by early 2008!
Old October 5th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedoc1
Five star?? Stateroom toilets that constantly break down, water dripping from the corridor ceiling and having to avoid buckets and towels placed in the middle of the floor - of that's what Celebrity calls five-star I'd hate to see how they define one star! Guest relations are no help - they must deem such a state of affairs quite acceptable as tbhey do not belive in providing fair compensation. And that was in August 2007 - Lord knows the state of that ship by early 2008!
I feel so sorry for you. What a horrible experience. I can't even imagine what that must have been like. You are right that Celebrity still refers to the Galaxy as a five star premium ship. Just to show how far off polls can be, believe it or not, the Galaxy was ranked in the top ten in the world of what Celebrity likes to call "premium" cruise ships! For me, the Galaxy's fogged windows are just an indication from the outside to of a lack of upkeep and proper maintenance on the inside.

Who did you contact while you were on board to have the problem fixed and what did they say. My experience in dealing with a major problem with Celebrity was "we are so sorry, but it's not my problem".

I hope that you will not give up on cruising, after this experience, as there are many cruise lines that do care about their passengers and are not only interested in just selling cruise tickets.

Winston Churchill

Old October 6th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Passenger

Hello dedock, sorry to here you had a bad experiance on board, was your whole cruise reuined because of the state of the ship, I have emailed Celebrity regarding my concerns and they still insist that the Galaxy is to a five star standard, they have said they get possitve feedback from all there guest from the comments cards given out at the end of every cruise, also they have informed me that the ship did get a refit in April last year.

Can somebody tell me what do they do for a refit?

Angie
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Captain

Default Celebrity gave you the wrong information. No refit last yr

Quote:
Hello dedock, sorry to here you had a bad experiance on board, was your whole cruise reuined because of the state of the ship, I have emailed Celebrity regarding my concerns and they still insist that the Galaxy is to a five star standard, they have said they get possitve feedback from all there guest from the comments cards given out at the end of every cruise, also they have informed me that the ship did get a refit in April last year.

Can somebody tell me what do they do for a refit?

Angie
Hi Angie, I am afraid that the Celebrity Customer Service person was at best, horribly mis-informed. The Galaxy has not been to dry dock for at least five years and possibly not since its launch about ten years ago. For anyone at Celebrity to tell you that the ship had just been to dry dock (refit) last April is absolutely wrong. Whoever works for Celebrity, that told you that should know better and for Celebrity to tell you this is very deceiving to those who expect an accurate and honest answer. For Celebrity to say that Celebrity always gets positive feed backs from all of their passengers on the Galaxy is not even close to being possible. I think Dedock would take issue with that statement along with many others. Celebrity is still a good cruise line but this kind of mis-representing the facts is becoming all too common place in the past few years at Celebrity.

The Galaxy does have an open time in her schedule in April of 2008 and probably will go into dry dock then. Many needed maintenance items have been neglected for several years now and the Galaxy will be in much better shape after the dry dock in 2008.

Dedock is right in saying that at the present time the Galaxy is not even close to what anyone would call a five star ship. As I said before, the food,
service and entertainment are, IMHO still good, but the ship itself is very tired.

The refit usually means some minor structual changes, such as adding balconies or changing and adding new dining areas and the like. I have not heard what Celebrity has in store for the Galaxy if, and when, it does go to dry dock next year.
Debra

Winston Churchill

Old October 7th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Passenger

Hello Debra, sorry for misleading anybody but iv checked my email from the celebrity rep and she said the galaxy was refurbished in april last year, and not what i stated in my last post.(refit) but everthing else was correct what i have been told.

Thankyou for posting me with your thoughts

Angie
Old October 8th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Hello Debra, sorry for misleading anybody but iv checked my email from the celebrity rep and she said the galaxy was refurbished in april last year, and not what i stated in my last post.(refit) but everthing else was correct what i have been told.

Thankyou for posting me with your thoughts

Angie
Hi Angie, Celebrity did refurbish the Century last year, but not the Galaxy. Last year Celebrity did resurface the wood deck around the pool area, which had been bare wood for over three years. This problem had been delivering splinters to guest for a couple of years. I also believe that that Celebrity replaced the very old bedding on the Galaxy last year. The windows in the stratosphere remain fogged, as they have been for five years. There is, as I said, a lot of other things, such as carpet, furnishings, etc, that have been not maintained and the dry dock next April will be a time to fix most of these things.
For Celebrity to say that the Galaxy was refurbished last year is in my opinion a self serving and totally inaccurate statement. The Galaxy has only had a portion of some of the maintenance that other cruise ships go through every year, to remain in top condition. I have also received such statements when asking Celebrity customer service about propulsion problems on m-class ships and have been told by ten different Celebrity rep's that there has been only one or two problems and that the problem has been fixed and can not happen again. That statement is of course false and is totally unfair to the consumer. I hope you will write a review of your cruise and let me know what your opinion of the Galaxy is after your cruise. Maybe a check of current Galaxy reviews would help to clarify the condition of the Galaxy.

I am sure you will have a good time and the Galaxy does have good service, shows and food, but at this time to say that the Galaxy is still in five star premium ship condition, is just not so.
Debra

Winston Churchill

Old October 8th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Passenger

Hello Debra

I'm a little disappointed if celebrity have miss informed me, they have definatly said the Galaxy was refurbished last April and that all is at the five star standard, after 20 years of cruising i have never been so confused about a cruise as this one, after all, all i want is what i'm paying for, i have friends joining us on this cruise from long island and the last thing i want is for them to be disappointed. this is our first ever cruise in a penthouse and our expectations are high, but i will have to keep an open mind and see what my own oppionion is of the Galaxy.
I will give a honest and fair review upon my return.

I'm a loyal passenger of celebrity and want to continue , untill they give me a reason not to......

Cruise Buddy's please keep me informed

Angie
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Admiral

A common misconception is that a ship has to go into Drydock to be refurbished. The PRIMARY purpose of a drydock most of the time is to fix things that can't be done at sea, mostly mechanical. Rugs, curtains, etc do not need a drydock. I believe Galaxy received the new bedding last year. I have also read a number of excellent reviews on the Galaxy, I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

Galaxy was in for drydock in the fall of 2003 as I was on the second cruise prior to that drydock.

Don
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired
A common misconception is that a ship has to go into Drydock to be refurbished. The PRIMARY purpose of a drydock most of the time is to fix things that can't be done at sea, mostly mechanical. Rugs, curtains, etc do not need a drydock. I believe Galaxy received the new bedding last year. I have also read a number of excellent reviews on the Galaxy, I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

Don
Hi Don: I have seen the long list of things that have been neglected on the Galaxy such as stained and broken furniture, worn and frayed carpeting and plumbing fixtures that don't always work. You are right that Celebrity did finally replace the bedding but many other things that should have been replaced were not. The Galaxy is not slated for dry dock until possibly spring of next year. I have read an awful lot of very bad reviews about the condition of the ship, many go back several years and these problems have not been addressed. As I have said before the food, service and entertainment are still good but for the amount of money a cruise costs I don't think you should have to take as you said "the good with the bad" for a beautiful ship that should be in tip top shape all of the time. JMHO.

Winston Churchill

Old October 10th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Debra:

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear, my fault. When I said that I meant take the good reviews with the bad and I totally agree with your statement. There is a list floating around on what they are going to do in April and it has now been offically annouced. Sorry for my mistake.

Don
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Passenger

Hello dkjretired

You said the galaxy does'nt have to go into dry dock to be refurbished, if this is the case with all the bad reviews for this ship, why cant they refurbish the ship now?

You also said you have seen a list of what they intend to replace, does it mention the penthouse?

Thanks
Regards Angie
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Hello dkjretired

You said the galaxy does'nt have to go into dry dock to be refurbished, if this is the case with all the bad reviews for this ship, why cant they refurbish the ship now?

You also said you have seen a list of what they intend to replace, does it mention the penthouse?

Thanks
Regards Angie
They have been doing things on the ship, the bedding was just done and didn't require a drydock. Again, I would suggest you look around as you will find just as many if not more good reviews than bad reviews.

I don't have the list, it was on boards a couple of weeks ago when Celebrity finally announced the work to be done.

Don
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Hello dkjretired

Thanks
Regards Angie
They have been doing things on the ship, the bedding was just done and didn't require a drydock. Again, I would suggest you look around as you will find just as many if not more good reviews than bad reviews.

I don't have the list, it was on boards a couple of weeks ago when Celebrity finally announced the work to be done.

Don
Hi Don:

I am sure they are always doing something as a ship is sailing. The point that I was making was the length of time it takes to fix some things for example, the retractable roof over the swimming pool on the Galaxy. This roof had been stuck for over three years creating a sauna like atmosphere in the pool area. This may have been fixed by now, depending on which reports you believe, but at the end of the day many of these things, IMHO, should have been taken care in a timelier manner.

In all honesty I would have to say that most non-biased reports from recent Galaxy cruisers have not painted a good picture of the physical condition of the Galaxy. I think that reviews of the Galaxy it all depends on how important things like a stained sink, worn and stained carpet and furnishings and windows that you can not see through in the observation bar are to a person. For some they are not at all important and for others, myself included, they are very important. Neither viewpoint is wrong and there will always be good food and good service and wonderful ports to visit. I still believe that anyone can have a great cruise on the Galaxy, but I was just saying that Celebrity has not maintained this ship as well as it deserves nor to what I would call close to five star standards.

Winston Churchill

Old October 16th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
Quote:
Quote:
Hello dkjretired

Thanks
Regards Angie

Don
Hi Don:

I am sure they are always doing something as a ship is sailing. The point that I was making was the length of time it takes to fix some things for example, the retractable roof over the swimming pool on the Galaxy. This roof had been stuck for over three years creating a sauna like atmosphere in the pool area. This may have been fixed by now, depending on which reports you believe, but at the end of the day many of these things, IMHO, should have been taken care in a timelier manner.

In all honesty I would have to say that most non-biased reports from recent Galaxy cruisers have not painted a good picture of the physical condition of the Galaxy. I think that reviews of the Galaxy it all depends on how important things like a stained sink, worn and stained carpet and furnishings and windows that you can not see through in the observation bar are to a person. For some they are not at all important and for others, myself included, they are very important. Neither viewpoint is wrong and there will always be good food and good service and wonderful ports to visit. I still believe that anyone can have a great cruise on the Galaxy, but I was just saying that Celebrity has not maintained this ship as well as it deserves nor to what I would call close to five star standards.
I tend to agree with you and believe it took too long to do anything with all the Century class ships. I noticed last week that Royal Caribbean transferred Sovereign of the Seas to Pullmantur. I'm starting to think the same fate might be awaiting one of the C class ships. I also can't understand them not putting a specialty restaurant on Galaxy when it goes into drydock next year. I would think after they did it to Century it would be automatic to put it on Galaxy and Mercury.

Don
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:20 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

I copied this from another board; hope this helps:

I received this today from my TA who received it from Celebrity directly on the drydock improvements. In April 2008, the Galaxy will go to drydock and these are the planned improvements:
1. Replacement of royal suites carpet (400 sqm)
2. New design for all soft goods in the penthouse suites
3. Replacement of stateroom carpet (3500sqm)
4. Replacement of stateroom chair and sofa fabric
5. Replacement of 500 bathroom countertops
6. Replacement of all stateroom balcony ceiling panels(decks 9 and 10)
7. Swimming pool deck, decks 12 and 14, teak effect
8. Replacement of all defective corrider and staircase railings
9. Refurbishment of elevators
10. Replacement of 25 windows in the Stratosphere Lounge
11. Sanding and varnishing of wood floors in suites and dance floor
12. Teak wood repairs on sky suite balconies (deck 12), royal suite
balconies ,decks 9 and 10
13. Teak wood repairs on the pool area, deck 11 aft and deck 12 aft
14. Marble polishing in the suites, lobby, bars, casino and Orion restaurant
15. Replacement of marble floor in casino
16. Replacement if tiles in Stratsophere lounge entrance
17. New design for mosaic tiles on pool deck, pool bar, sky bar and sitting
area next to sky bar
18. Replacement of shutters on the pool bar and grill
19. New design of carpet and soft goods for the Oasis Cafe, including
buffet blinds, lighting fixtures, and new design chairs
20. Panels underneath the buffet counter to be replaced
21. New design carpet for the Orion restaurant
22. New service station drawers in the Orion restuarant and replacement
of tiles
23. Replacement of carpet in Rendez-vous
24. Installation of new flooring on Embarkation area Deck 3
25. Replacement and /or refurbishment of external light fixtures
26. Refurbishment of interior of Tenders
27. Refurbishment of thalassotherapy room in AquaSpa
28. Installation of additional public bathrooms outside the Orion restaurant
29. Replacement of theatre carpet and soft goods

Suggestions that they might install balconies on the aft cabins of decks 8 and 10, and move the flower gallery from the mid ship bar on deck 7.