Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM
First Mate

Default Michaels Club Galaxy

The Celebrity on-line tour of Galaxy clearly shows a humidor inside Michaels Club. Is is still a smoking venue? Either way it looks like a great spot...white couches & little cozy nooks
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

This from the daily activity brochure of the Galaxy:
Guests who enjoy smoking are encouraged to visit Michael's Club, an intimate lounge where you can indulge in quiet conversation and enjoy a fine liqueur while smoking a cigar, cigarette, or pipe.
Please be informed that cigar smoking is only allowed in Michael's Club on Deck 6, and on Deck 12, open deck. We ask that all of our guests kindly abide by these regulations. We greatly appreciate your understanding.
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Admiral

JimmyD,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
This from the daily activity brochure of the Galaxy:
Guests who enjoy smoking are encouraged to visit Michael's Club, an intimate lounge where you can indulge in quiet conversation and enjoy a fine liqueur while smoking a cigar, cigarette, or pipe.
Please be informed that cigar smoking is only allowed in Michael's Club on Deck 6, and on Deck 12, open deck. We ask that all of our guests kindly abide by these regulations. We greatly appreciate your understanding.
Ah, how recently were you aboard MV Galaxy? When I was aboard her for a cruise to the Southern Caribbean last January, Michael's Club was non-smoking and featured the string quartet that performs in the Cova Cafe di Milano on most Celebrity ships.

Norm.
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Norm,
Sir, you are so right! My apologies! I should have checked before posting out-of-date information that was from a cruise in 2004. Here are smoking rules from the Celebrity website:

Cigarette Smoking is permitted:
• In staterooms.
• In designated areas on the port (left) side of most public areas (Lounges, Bars, Decks).

Cigarette Smoking is not permitted:
• In the Celebrity Theater.
• In the Cinema.
• In the Conference Center.
• In the Dining Room.
• In the Elevators.
• On the starboard (right) side of the ship, either indoors or outdoors.

Pipe and Cigar Smoking:
• Pipe and cigar smoking is only allowed in specifically
designated areas on outer decks of the vessel.
• Please check with the Guest Relations Desk for these specific venues.
• Please note that at no time is cigar and pipe smoking permitted in
staterooms/suites or on their verandas.

Interesting that the documentation for our cruise on the Constellation last year stated that cigarette smoking was allowed only on the starboard side in lounges and open decks, as opposed to the port side, as stated above.
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:37 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the info...This is what I suspected after reading some other posts...--guess we may need to re-think our cruise booked on this ship for 08--sad to day but DH does like his cigars & may not agree to be relegated to an open air deck in November....! I wonder if this is going to spread to all Celeb ships.? Pls don't complain to me abt smoking--I personally hate smoking but travel with DH!
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Admiral

hcat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thanks for the info...This is what I suspected after reading some other posts...--guess we may need to re-think our cruise booked on this ship for 08--sad to day but DH does like his cigars & may not agree to be relegated to an open air deck in November....! I wonder if this is going to spread to all Celeb ships.? Pls don't complain to me abt smoking--I personally hate smoking but travel with DH!
It probably already has spread to all Celebrity ships, in the past tense. The "Michael's Club" lounges on the four ships of the Millennium class became piano lounges several years ago. The most recent change extends to the "Michael's Club" lounges aboard MV Century and MV Mercury as well as aboard MV Galaxy. Fundamentally, there's an issue of branding here which dictates that "Michael's Club" should be the same type of facility throughout the line's fleet.

OTOH, I really can't envision entertainment in the miniscule "Michael's Club" lounge aboard MV Mercury. Perhaps Celebrity is moving the "Michael's Club" aboard that ship to another location during an upcoming yard visit? JTOL, the existing space would make a great library, which is its purpose aboard MV Galaxy....

Norm.
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:48 AM
First Mate

DH being such a good sport has agreed to the rules--he'll smoke on the upper decks or in port when he gets a chnce..
Michaels Club is a great spot on all ships we've tried. The entertainment there usually a piano player/singer --best known of course is Perry Grant. On some nights the music switches around so there is some chance at variety. Some guests get into the habit of going to the same place each night--we like variety & appreciate the change now & then esp on a long cruise...
Pretty soon the cigar smokers will be banned & then cigatettes next! It's a definite trend...