Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Passenger

Default CELEBRITY INFINITY

I would like to hear some comments on the Celebrity Infinity from people that have sailed on her in the last year or so. I'm looking to book a cruise on her out of Seattle next year going to Alaska. You are looking at a total of almost 3 grand to get a balcony room. I want to know if it's really worth it to sail on her still over other ships. Is it that great of a ship and food?
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Captain

Default Re: CELEBRITY INFINITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingJen
I would like to hear some comments on the Celebrity Infinity from people that have sailed on her in the last year or so. I'm looking to book a cruise on her out of Seattle next year going to Alaska. You are looking at a total of almost 3 grand to get a balcony room. I want to know if it's really worth it to sail on her still over other ships. Is it that great of a ship and food?
I sailed on the sister ship to the Infinity the Summit. The one main thing to be aware of is the propulsion problems that have plagued the Infinity. The Infinity is an m-class Celebrity ship and is by far the worst offender when it comes to these problems. The Infinity has had eight propulsion (POD) failures since its launch in 2001. All required dry dock to repair which resulted in cancelled cruises. This year alone the Infinity sailed with these POD problems from November 2006 until May 20, 2007. This resulted in missed ports, changed itineraries and late arrivals causing passengers to miss their flights home after the cruise. The Summit and Millennium also suffer from this same problem.

To answer your question I would say that the Celebrity Infinity is not a great ship when it comes to reliability. The food and service are good, but for me the risk of being caught up in one of these problem cruises is just not worth it. For the amount of money that you are going to spend I would do a lot of checking before purchasing your cruise. There is a thread started by myself on this board that mentions the Infinity and goes into more detail about these problems and will give you more sources to get information. Calling Celebrity customer service will result in being told that there is no problem which is simply not true.
Hope this helps.
Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Admiral

I would like to say that one of the nicest cruises that we have done was on the Infinity. We also did two cruises on her sister ship, the Summit. Both had great food, entertainment, service, etc. As far as mechanical problems, the possibility always exists. There are other issues that can occur also. We were on the Carnival Sensation and missed out on our tours in New Orleans. This was due to three passengers having medical emergencies that required evacuation by the Coast Guard in the middle of the Carribean.

So, in my own opinion, go for it and chances are nothing will happen and you will have a great time. As far as the balcony is concerned, we did the Alaska cruise on the Mercury this past July and had the balcony cabin. We enjoyed every minute of it and took some amazing photos right from the balcony. Hope this helps.

Manuel
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
I would like to say that one of the nicest cruises that we have done was on the Infinity. We also did two cruises on her sister ship, the Summit. Both had great food, entertainment, service, etc. As far as mechanical problems, the possibility always exists. There are other issues that can occur also. We were on the Carnival Sensation and missed out on our tours in New Orleans. This was due to three passengers having medical emergencies that required evacuation by the Coast Guard in the middle of the Carribean.

So, in my own opinion, go for it and chances are nothing will happen and you will have a great time. As far as the balcony is concerned, we did the Alaska cruise on the Mercury this past July and had the balcony cabin. We enjoyed every minute of it and took some amazing photos right from the balcony. Hope this helps.

Manuel
I agree with you that stuff happens on all cruise ships, be it weather, medical emergencies or one-time problems of one kind or another. What I am referring to is a chronic recurring problem with the Infinity that Celebrity has not fixed. As I have said most cruises are not affected but those that are affected can ruin a vacation. The worry alone of whether your long awaited cruise will be cancelled or if your trip will be shortened due to these problems in my opinion is just not an additional risk worth taking. I have been there and trust me I now know what can happen to what should have been a cruise of a lifetime. There are many newer and more reliable cruise ships to choose from and from one who has been there I would say "don't go for it" and pick a different ship. My review of the sister ship to the Infinity the Summit, here in the review section, will also give you some insight as to what can happen to you.

Anyone who was on the Infinity from mid November to mid May of this year had a 100% chance of being on one of these problem cruises. So the chances were not very good for these thousands of cruisers. I agree that the Infinity does offer good service, food and entertainment or I would not have sailed Celebrity as much as I did. It is only human nature to think that that can't happen to me but once you get burned by one of these all too frequent POD cruises you come away with a different view.

The most important thing is that the OP can now make an informed decision based on the facts.
Hope the OP has a great cruise no mater what they decide to do.
Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com