Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Familiar Face

Default Labadee

Has anyone been to Labadee? I've never been on Celebrity - just Princess, HAL, and RCI. I've been to their private islands. Is this stop supposed to be their "private island" stop? What is there to do? Are there chaise lounges like on the other lines' private islands? Are there pavilions where the bbq lunch is served - or do they even do that? Also, I saw an excursion listed for a "private beach" at this stop - how will that be different from just getting off the ship on their "private beach"? Thank you in advance for anything you can tell me about this stop - I'm completely confused!
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Passenger

I'd never heard of Labadee, so I had to google it. I guess it's technically part of Haiti and "leased" by Royal Caribbean. Here is a useful link that a google search produced:

http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/Labadee.htm
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Labadee is indeed Haiti, called Hispanola, as well..There are lounges for your enjoyment, as well as all the food and drink you can consume:):) Water sports are available there too, for all the fun you can handle:)

I have not been there, in a few years, but I do beleive there is a beach beyond the one, most of the passengers use, perhaps this is what they are referring to....There is also a local craft market set up.since Haiti issuch a poor island, we never bartered too strenuously there.

Enjoy your day of relaxation there..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 28th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you both - I'll certainly look at the link!
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Default Labadee is awesome!

We sailed on the Constellation and stopped at Labadee. It is a beautiful private island and yes you can lounge all day on the beach and find beautiful seashells. They also had a really nice bbq spread for us, it was extremely relaxing. The vendors are a little pushy there but we just avoided that area. Nobody else on the island but your shipmates. We loved it!!!!!
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I absolutely love Labadee, lots of different beaches. If you care to wonder around a bit, you can go to the opposite side of where the tender dock is. If you care to do an excursion, look into the the waverunner excursion, lots of fun and a nice way to see more of the coastline and learn a few things about the local area.

You will find a few places where they set up a BBQ lunch.

Have fun, its a great beach day.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Admiral

Not to nitpick what Trip said, but in the interest of accuracy, Labadee is indeed in the country of Haiti. But "Haiti" and "Hispaniola" are not interchangable names. There are two countries on the island of Hispaniola, Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

So while Labadee is not a "private island," (it's a little chunk of Haiti and an even littler chunk of Hispaniola), it functions as pretty much the same thing. The compound is strictly circumscribed, and according to a recent article, if you insist on leaving the compound you must sign a release. That's because, of course, Haiti is considered one of the most dangerous places in the hemisphere. According to the latest State Department warning, Haiti is in a chronic state of lawlessness, with 12 Americans kidnapped in the first 8 months of 2007. Some were sexually assaulted and shot. US Embassy personnel are under strict curfews and are not permitted in the downtown areas of the capital, Port-au-Prince, after dark. What's more, their ability to travel outside Port-au-Prince is limited, so they have difficulty coming to the resuce of American citizens who might get into trouble. Still, as long as you stay on the ship's compound or with their excursions there is nothing to worry about. Labadee seems to be very well isolated and defended from the country of which it is a part.

RCI intentionally plays down the fact that the compound is in Haiti, because they know full well about its bad reputation. But, ironically, the Haitian government objected to their soft-pedalling the actual location, so they're not being as circumspect about it as they used to be.

RCI throws a few bucks Haiti's way for every passenger that visits the compound, but apparently all the food and supplies, along with most of the personnel, come off the ships. So there's little direct boost to Haiti's economy or its people. Sadly, Haiti defines the term "third world," and has a long, bloody history of rampant government corruption.
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I absolutely love Labadee, lots of different beaches. If you care to wonder around a bit, you can go to the opposite side of where the tender dock is. If you care to do an excursion, look into the the waverunner excursion, lots of fun and a nice way to see more of the coastline and learn a few things about the local area.

You will find a few places where they set up a BBQ lunch.

Have fun, its a great beach day.
Totally agree on Labadee Friday 14th Dec T/A Millenium
good day was had by all
David
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have to disagree - I hated Labadee when the Millie stopped there on its transatlantic this past December - it seemed dirty and crowded. I much preferred the private beach stop on the Zenith to Catalina Island, Domican Republic. The beach was much nicer even though it was much smaller than Labadee and the food set up was so much better. We were definitely sorry that we got off the ship in Labadee - we would have rather enjoyed the "private" pool on the Millennium.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Keep in mind, at Labadee, there are other beaches across the way if you feel like taking a little walk. No need to sit at the crowded beaches right by the pier. We had a lovely spot on the other side, not crowded at all and they also served lunch there, take some time to explore the area, I love Labadee.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

We stopped st Labadee on our first cruise in Jan. '02, Explorer E. Carib. It was our favorite stop of the cruise. We never felt crowded, but also didn't do much right at the beach. DH stayed on his lounge chair in the little patch of shade and I waded in the water for a while and hiked around a bit. We took the free tram from one end of the peninsula to the other and heard about the history. At one point, a group of children living in an orphanage on Labadee came down to the dock to receive belated Christmas presents from the crew/staff. The ship had been there over the holidays, but bad weather had forced them to cancel visiting that day.
The lunch provided in the pavillion was very good, brought out from the ship. There are modern , attended restrooms and clean water. Guards roamed around giving us a secure feeling. The local vendors didn't mingle or approach anyone. You have to go to the markets to see the wares. The sellers can be a bit aggressive, but I got a couple of good deals on handmade goods.
There were free organized games, e.g, beach volleyball, water ballooon toss. Some pax opted for the parasailing, waverunners and other watger activities that were not free. One of the beaches was closed due to sea urchins.
Lounge chairs were free, but the floats for the water were $10 for the day. Waiters came around for drink orders and we splurged with a Labadoozie, sort of like a 3 layer daquiri. It was a beautiful, clear sunny day, the calypso band played most of the day and we had to drag ourselves back to the tender at 4:15.
The next year Labadee was the first stop on Expl. to the W. Carib, but it rained and we were bummed to miss it.