Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Beginner

Default infinity dress code and speciality restaurant

We (6 of us) are going on a7 day Alaskan cruise this summer, sailing out of Seattle on the Infinity.

I have two questions:
1) dress code - I know they have 2 formal nights, 2 informal nights, and 3 casual nights. On the formal nights, do you REALLY need a suit and tie or can you get away with the same sport coat and no tie that you wear on the informal nights?? We are all from Florida and none of us really like to "dress up".

2) speciality restaurant - Which is the best night(s) to eat in the speciality restaurant? We all like lobster, etc so we want to eat in the speciality restaurant the night(s) they serve the "least" in the regular restaurant. Can you get a menu for the weeks meals when you board the ship??
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Passenger

The question really is whether they enforce it. My best guess is yes, they enforce it. If they were really zealous about it, they wouldn't admit you without formal wear (tux). I doubt you have to worry about that, but I would count on the shirt, tie & jacket.

Check your documents as to what a formal/informal/casual is in their opinion. The informal night might even call for a tie.....
Nov. 2002 Carnival Legend Western Caribbean
May 1998 Royal Caribbean Enchantment Mediterranean
Nov. 1996 Carnival Fascination Southern Caribbean
April 1988 American Hawaiian Hawaiian Islands
Nov. 1986 Regency Western Caribbean
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Familiar Face

We just returned from a one-week sailing on the Summit, sister ship to the Infinity. While Celebrity sounds very specific in their dress code "requirements," we found that they were not strict in enforced them. We observed no enforcement of the formal dress code in the public areas, bars or showroom on "formal" night. If you happen to have a dark sport coat and slacks, I doubt if anyone would question you anywhere on formal night.

Also, you always have the choice of informal dining any evening you wish. On Summit they open an area near the buffet for at-table dining by reservation. They offer a limited menu, but both the food and the service were as good as in the main dining room. The buffet area also offers sushi and pasta areas as well as the buffet line, so you can definitely find plenty of good food any evening without going to the main dining room. Our travel companions did not bring any formal clothing, so we opted for casual dining on both formal nights and had no regrets.

Lobster is likely to be served on the last "formal" night of the cruise, typically the next to last night. The specialty restaurants on Summit, Infinity, etc. are truly "special." Service is much like a fine French restaurant. Whether it is worth the $30 extra is questionnable in terms of food quality, and as casual Floridians you may find the service a bit over-the-top. Nonetheless, it's worth the splurge if you feel you will enjoy a 2 1/2 to 3 hour fine dining experience.
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: infinity dress code and speciality restaurant

anewcruiser,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We (6 of us) are going on a7 day Alaskan cruise this summer, sailing out of Seattle on the Infinity.

I have two questions:
1) dress code - I know they have 2 formal nights, 2 informal nights, and 3 casual nights. On the formal nights, do you REALLY need a suit and tie or can you get away with the same sport coat and no tie that you wear on the informal nights?? We are all from Florida and none of us really like to "dress up".
On Celebrity, enforcement of dress codes is not at all consistent. In eleven Celebrity cruises, I have seen everything from very strict enforcement in the theater and other venues as well as in the restaurants to no enforcement at all. Thus, it would be irresponsible to give any advice other than to conform to Celebrity's dress codes, as prescribed onboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
2) speciality restaurant - Which is the best night(s) to eat in the speciality restaurant? We all like lobster, etc so we want to eat in the speciality restaurant the night(s) they serve the "least" in the regular restaurant. Can you get a menu for the weeks meals when you board the ship??
The ship usually does not publish menus for the whole cruise in advance, but the assistant maitres d'hotel do have the menus one evening in advance so they can arrange special meals for passengers who have dietary issues. Nonetheless, the "formal" evenings are the evenings when the main dining room stages its very best cuisine. If you want to dine in the specialty restaurant without missing the best meals in the main dining room, simply make your reservations at the specialty restaurant for one of the "casual" or "informal" evenings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDallas
Also, you always have the choice of informal dining any evening you wish. On Summit they open an area near the buffet for at-table dining by reservation. They offer a limited menu, but both the food and the service were as good as in the main dining room. The buffet area also offers sushi and pasta areas as well as the buffet line, so you can definitely find plenty of good food any evening without going to the main dining room. Our travel companions did not bring any formal clothing, so we opted for casual dining on both formal nights and had no regrets.
GHDallas may have no regrets, but probably only because (s)he does not know what (s)he missed. The "formal" evenings on a Celebrity cruise really are special, with the dining room staging its best cuisine and the "Celebrity Singers and Dancers" staging the best production shows of the cruise. These evenings often also have special events that are quite memorable. Celebrity does offer "Alternative Casual Dining" with full service and menus different from the menus of the main dining room in the seating area of the buffet restaurant for $2.00 per person each evening, but it really is not the same as the ambiance of a "formal" evening. Also, options for "alternative casual entertainment" are pretty limited -- just a guitarist at the sunset bar abaft the buffet restaurant.

Norm.
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Passenger

Default Re: infinity dress code and speciality restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
anewcruiser,.........

On Celebrity, enforcement of dress codes is not at all consistent
Good point. Individual line attitudes aside, my most recent cruise was out of Mobile, AL (great value by the way). Enforcing any type of rules along these lines were an afterthought. I did an 11 day out of Barcelona and the rules were very much enforced.

I suspect that the longer the trip, the more likely the rules will be enforced. The tend match the ambiance to the passenger demographics. Can't back that up with facts, but certainly get that feeling.

FWIW, buy a shirt with the collar a half inch too big and it makes wearing that tie no big deal
Nov. 2002 Carnival Legend Western Caribbean
May 1998 Royal Caribbean Enchantment Mediterranean
Nov. 1996 Carnival Fascination Southern Caribbean
April 1988 American Hawaiian Hawaiian Islands
Nov. 1986 Regency Western Caribbean