Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Passenger

Default celebrity century

the soap opera cruise will be on the century, in jan. 2009. i need any good or bad on the ship. i just hope the food is better than it was on carnival. i hope i get some responses. anything will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Admiral

We have done 7 Celebrity cruises and 2 Carnival cruises.....in my opinion, the quality of food, the variety of food and food presentation on Carnival does not even come close to Celebrity. We enjoyed our 2 Carnival cruises, but Celebrity is definitely a step up from Carnival.

Manuel

PS - What is this "soap opera cruise" all about??? Thanks for the info.
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Celebrity Century

We sailed the Century to the Artic Circle and Norway in July 07. Had a good(not great) time.

We are not Carnival fans and think you will enjoy the added quality Celebrity offers vs Carnival.

Best Wishes
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: celebrity century

BECKYSOAP,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
the soap opera cruise will be on the century, in jan. 2009.
What's a "sop opera cruise"???

*confused*

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
i need any good or bad on the ship. i just hope the food is better than it was on carnival. i hope i get some responses. anything will be appreciated.
MV Century is the only Celebrity ship aboard which I have not taken a cruise, so I cannot comment on specifics. Nonetheless, she received a major refit a year or two ago that (1) added new balconies to quite a few existing cabins, (2) added several new cabins where there was open deck, (3) added a specialty restaurant, and (4) updated all other existing facilities to provide all the amenities of her newer fleetmates.

As a "premium" cruise line, Celebrity should maintain higher standards than "mainstream" cruise lines like Carnival. Whether you will prefer the line's cuisine or not is another issue, however, since cuisine is very much a matter of personal preference. I have no qualms with the quality of ingredients in Celebrity's cullinary creations, though I personally found that the French style of cuisine that Michel Roux brought to the line in his many years as the line's culinary consultant grew tiresome after about a week to a week and a half onboard. I suspect that the line's current cullinary consultants, Elizabeth Blau and Associates, probably are introducing more variety in styles of cuisine over time -- which, of course, you may or may not prefer.

Overall, you probably will notice several differences between Celebrity and Carnival.

>> Celebrity provides various "extras" like complementary champagne when you embark and cold towels on the pier when you return to the ship in tropical or summertime ports of call.

>> On Celebrity, you'll notice an absence of announcements hawking activities over the ship's public address system. There's typically only one announcement per day -- the Captain's noontime announcement of navigational information when at sea (after which the cruise director typically says a few words about the afternoon activities) and a "you may now go ashore" announcement when the ship arrives in port. If you want to participate in an activity, you need to get there at the proper time.

>> Celebrity's activities generally are geared toward fairly sophisticated passengers, with a variety of lectures, classes, and cullinary and other demonstrations in addition to the usual array of trivia contests, art auctions, bingo, etc., on days at sea.

>> Celebrity also continues the custom of holding "informal" evenings in addition to the "formal" evenings. On the "informal" evenings, gentlemen wear jackets and many ladies wear cocktail dresses or pantsuits.

Having said that, quite a few posts on this board have indicated that the short (four night and five night) cruises aboard MV Century are not exactly typical Celebrity cruises in many respects. In particular, I understand that the passengers tend to be less sophisticated and that disregard of the dress code is much more rampant than on cruises of more normal duration.

Norm.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Admiral

I would agree with Nom, I have been on Century three times all pre rehab and it is my favority ship. One thing that i do like on the ship is the use of the wood in the dining room, really makes the room seem classy.

Don
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Captain

I agree with Norm and Don about the Century. The present condition of the Century from all that I have read, in my opinion, is in the best condition, at this time, of all the ships in the Celebrity fleet. There are some maintenance issues with other Celebrity ships but the Century has had mostly very good reports from returning cruisers.

The statement by a few Celebrity supporters that Celebrity is a "premium" cruise line is simply not true. Celebrity is a mainstream cruise line; just like Carnival, Princess, HAL, RCL and a few others. There are certainly small differences between all cruise lines but to say that Celebrity has better standards for things like ship maintenance is more like an advertising promo and nothing more.
Oceania and Azamara are true premium upscale cruise lines and Celebrity is a mainstream cruise line. Calling Celebrity anything other than a mainstream cruise line is not going to change it.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Passenger

Default celebrity century

i really want to know about the food, i like almost anything. the midnight buffet on carnival, i was very disappointed. it had things on there i wouldn't eat or try. i really love seafood except for calmari and oysters. does anybody have fried chicken (i really want to eat all the things i can't have during the year)
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Debra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The statement by a few Celebrity supporters that Celebrity is a "premium" cruise line is simply not true. Celebrity is a mainstream cruise line; just like Carnival, Princess, HAL, RCL and a few others. There are certainly small differences between all cruise lines but to say that Celebrity has better standards for things like ship maintenance is more like an advertising promo and nothing more.
Oceania and Azamara are true premium upscale cruise lines and Celebrity is a mainstream cruise line. Calling Celebrity anything other than a mainstream cruise line is not going to change it.
Sorry, but the cruise editions of all of the major travel guides (Sterns, Berlitz, Fodor's, Frommer's, etc.) rank Celebrity Cruises, Princess Cruises, Azimara Cruises, Oceania Cruises, and Holland America Lines ("HAL") as "premium" cruise lines and Carnival, Royal Caribbean International (RCI), and Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) as "mainstream" lines. By contrast, they rank Crystal, Cunard, Silversea, Regent Seven Seas, Seaborne, etc., as "luxury" lines. Overall, the "premium" lines traditionally maintain a somewhat higher standard of service and amenities than the "mainstream" lines, though there does seem to be room for an argument that Princess might have moved down to the "mainstream" segment in the current decade. This classification seems to have very broad acceptance.

Norm.
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Debra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Sorry, but the cruise editions of all of the major travel guides (Sterns, Berlitz, Fodor's, Frommer's, etc.) rank Celebrity Cruises, Princess Cruises, Azimara Cruises, Oceania Cruises, and Holland America Lines ("HAL") as "premium" cruise lines and Carnival, Royal Caribbean International (RCI), and Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) as "mainstream" lines. By contrast, they rank Crystal, Cunard, Silversea, Regent Seven Seas, Seaborne, etc., as "luxury" lines. Overall, the "premium" lines traditionally maintain a somewhat higher standard of service and amenities than the "mainstream" lines, though there does seem to be room for an argument that Princess might have moved down to the "mainstream" segment in the current decade. This classification seems to have very broad acceptance.

Norm.
Norm: you may be actually right on that one. I really don't consider any of them premium cruise lines. With all new ships that Carnival now has, and considering the mechanical and maintenance issues on Celebrity ships, I would certainly rank them far above Celebrity fleet as a whole. There is certainly room for the argument that Carnival has now surpassed Celebrity and is closing in on Princess as the best mainstream/premium cruise line.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Celebrity Century

If you look at the staff to passenger ratio of Celebrity (century class) the service level is much better than Princess,HAL, and Carnival and to me you can see or feel the added luxury of having more staff especially in the meal service area's.
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Passenger

Hi,
You will never be disappointed on Celebrity's Century. A marvelous ship whose food is incomparable to any other line afloat. Carnival's food pales, by comparison. (The only other line that compares favorably to Century's food is Holland-American ships.) Century, now an older ship of the Celebrity fleet, received a remarkable upgrade of nearly $5M in 2005, I believe, and is truly one of the nicest ships to sail. For a specialty restaurant, check out Century's Murano restaurant. Italian food at its best.

Dennis