Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Passenger

Default Disembarkation from ship - to catch flight out Rome

My husband and I will be on the Galaxy on Aug 1st and disembarking on Aug 11. Wondering if anyone can speak to their experience re their ability to get off the ship early enough to catch the Celebrity shuttle or a private limo in order to catch a flight out of Rome at 11:00 a.m. on the same day. Just wondering if this is doable...or whether we stand the chance of missing our flight due to the fact that we can not disembark the ship early enough....etc...

We are first time cruisers... not sure of the disembarkation process.... in particular with Celebrity.
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I would recommend taking a later flight if you can. You'll be cutting it close. The airport is about 45 minutes from the cruise port if I remember correctly. And the lines at the airport don't move very quickly. We had to stand in a line at the ticket counter, one for passport inspection, and then the line at secuirty.

If you do decide to take this flight, arrange for a private car to take you so that you don't have to wait on all the other passengers to fill the bus before it leaves for the airport.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Disembarkation from ship - to catch flight out Rome

schulr,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My husband and I will be on the Galaxy on Aug 1st and disembarking on Aug 11. Wondering if anyone can speak to their experience re their ability to get off the ship early enough to catch the Celebrity shuttle or a private limo in order to catch a flight out of Rome at 11:00 a.m. on the same day. Just wondering if this is doable...or whether we stand the chance of missing our flight due to the fact that we can not disembark the ship early enough....etc...

We are first time cruisers... not sure of the disembarkation process.... in particular with Celebrity.
I took a cruise aboard MV Galaxy that disembarked in Civitavecchia last November. They actually timed the disembarkation process to connect with the flights back to the States, which universaly depart from Leonardo da Vinci International Airport in Fiumicino (FCO) between 7:00 AM and 10:00 AM, for passengers who were flying out that day. This apparently is the normal practice in Civitavecchia, even though it is far from normal anywhere else.

The best advice regarding the timing flights out of any port of disembarkation is always to have your travel agent call Celebrity and ask the earliest time of departure for which Celebrity will accept bookings of to the airport in the port of disembarkation, as it's different for every port. If you book a flight no earlier than that time, you'll have no trouble getting to the airport on time even if you use a taxi rather than Celebrity's transfer service.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:11 AM
Passenger

we are going on the same cruise but at the end of august. we were told not to risk it. we are disembarking on sept 1 and are staying over near the airport for an early flight out on the 2nd.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Celebrity shows your ship docking at 4AM. Normally I would not advise to fly out that early, but in this case, I would probably take a chance. In fact, we are scheduled to sail Galaxy 11 day itin. in Sept. & are looking at an American flight leaving Rome @ 10:15AM. To be sure, check w/ Celebrity, but I agree with Norm about the early 11AM flight.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Passenger

Thank you everyone for your feedback. This has been quite helpful. We have decided not to risk it and stress over it....so we will delay our return by a day.... Not a bad option....since we get to enjoy Rome for one more day !
Thank you all !
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Beginner

Default ROme Departure

We were on the Galaxy last summer ....we arrived at 4:00 am in Rome and we got off the ship at 7:00. We had a driver waiting for us and we were at the airport in less than 1 hour. We were on a 10:50 flight out of Rome with plenty of time. You have to get to the airport before 8:00 am when most of the buses arrive from the ships. We beat the rush and as we were walking through customs, we saw that the lines in the lobby were very long!