Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM
Captain

Default Discussion of propulsion failures on Celebrity m-class ships

First, a big thank you to our hosts for allowing all of us to share our cruising experiences on cruisemates. I just thought it might be a good idea to put all of the dates and facts of the propulsion (POD) problems that Celebrity has encountered, in one place. Everyone can then can read them and make up their own mind of how important these facts are to them. Hopefully, this will also hold any long discussions about these problems to just one thread. Celebrity has many good points but along with the good points, this recurring problem is something that should be considered.

I have seen no confirmed information from Celebrity that this problem that has plagued the Infinity, Summit and Millennium has, or will be permanently fixed. There was an announcement in 2004, from one of the manufactures that a new design had been found to fix the problem. Unfortunately this announcement turned out not to be true. Given this long history of these problems and several stories about the problem being solved, I would have to see each of the four ships sail for two years without encountering this same problem, before I would believe that the problem had actually been solved.

The problem in a nut shell, is that the propulsion system design for the Celebrity m-class ships either have a design flaw or have not been maintained properly and that causes the PODS to fail about every year or so, for the Infinity, Summit and Millennium. There have been a total of eighteen of these failures over the years. Many cruises have been cancelled for emergency dry dock and if you were booked on one of these cancelled cruises you did get your money back and a free cruise on Celebrity.

The real problem comes in when you are on one of the nearly 50 cruises when the PODS are not working. This has resulted in cancelled ports, shortened port times and late arrivals.

I have put my review, in the review section of cruisemates, of exactly what happened to me when the PODS are not working. One post-script that I should add is that one of the many restrictions on the 30% off coupon that Celebrity did finally offer to us was that the coupon was good only for cruises departing from North America. This restriction was put on the coupon even though over half of the 1,950 passengers were from over seas.

Dates of POD failures on Celebrity ships.

The propulsion system used by all four Celebrity M-Class ships are called pods. These are the "FACTS ONLY" for the dates of failures for the propulsion systems. These stats were gathered from sources such as,
events at sea, ebearing news and other non-biased cruise information sites.

Millennium Inaugural date June 17, 2000
pod failure dry dock January, 2001
pod failure dry dock July 16, 2003
pod failure dry dock scheduled December 10, 2006
Pod failure on New Years (2007) cruise and again in January (Note: ship continued to sail at reduced speeds for 15 weeks, until dry dock in mid April 2007)

Infinity Inaugural date March 3, 2001
pod failure dry dock late 2001 (3 weeks)
pod failure dry dock April 13, 2002
pod failure dry dock January 29, 2003
pod failure dry dock March 2004
pod failure dry dock March 27, 2005
pod failure Ports skipped and cruise shortened on two cruises
(July 9 and July 16, 2006) Electrical problem in pods.
pod failure dry dock September 13, 2006
Pod failure November 19, 2006 (Note: this ship continued to sail with altered Itineraries and missed ports for 20 weeks, until dry dock on May 20, 2007).

Summit Inaugural date October 1, 2001
pod failure dry dock March 2002
pod failure dry dock July 18, 2003
pod failure dry dock September 2004
pod failure dry dock June 3, 2005
pod failure dry dock May 20, 2006

Constellation Inaugural date May 1, 2002
pod failure dry dock May 1, 2002 (salt water leaked into pods at launch time).

Happy sailing to all.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

I would like to read your review. What ship & when?
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea
I would like to read your review. What ship & when?
Hi richsea:

Very good question!!!! Maybe some of those blonde jokes are true (ha-ha).

The ship was the Celebrity Summit and the cruise was May 7, 2006.

I have posted a review of the thirteen night cruise to Alaska on cruisemates. My review can be found by:

click on "cruise reviews" at the top left of cruisemates home page.
click on "reader reviews"
click on "Celebrity"
Scroll way down to "Summit".
My review is "Summit by Debra - May 7, 2006. (at this time it is the third review on the list).

I found the whole experience to be like an experience out of the old "candid camera" show. I would love to hear opinions from those who read the review to see how they think it was handled. Someday this cruise could be a text book case, for college students, on how not to handle customer relations.

As a final shot, to those from over seas, after all that happened on our cruise, even though Celebrity knew that over half the passengers on our Alaskan cruise were from overseas the coupon included as one of the many restrictions; "good only on cruises departing from North America".

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
First Mate

I read your review of the May 2006 Summit cruise & I recall reading about it on another cruise board. Celebrity certainly did not handle the problem correctly during your cruise & it must have been very frustrating for you. However, IMO, a $200 cabin credit & a 30% discount on a future cruise sounds like a fair disposition, even if it was like pulling teeth to get!

The pod problem has certainly been a black eye for X, & while they have made PR mistakes in dealing with the passengers affected, I think that on the whole they have ultimately been more than fair in their compensation to passengers affected by the pod problems.

I am curious, do you still cruise Celebrity? Have you taken advantage of the cruise credit which they provided as a result of that ill fated cruise? How about additional Celebrity cruises? If you did, how was your overall experience?
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Captain

Quote:
I read your review of the May 2006 Summit cruise & I recall reading about it on another cruise board. Celebrity certainly did not handle the problem correctly during your cruise & it must have been very frustrating for you. However, IMO, a $200 cabin credit & a 30% discount on a future cruise sounds like a fair disposition, even if it was like pulling teeth to get!

The pod problem has certainly been a black eye for X, & while they have made PR mistakes in dealing with the passengers affected, I think that on the whole they have ultimately been more than fair in their compensation to passengers affected by the pod problems.

I am curious, do you still cruise Celebrity? Have you taken advantage of the cruise credit which they provided as a result of that ill fated cruise? How about additional Celebrity cruises? If you did, how was your overall experience?
I will try to answere a couple of your questions.

I agree that this problem has been a black eye for Celebrity but I feel that the black eye for Celebrity starts with how they deceive passengers who ask customer service about these problems and then the way passengers are treated when the problem is happening on their cruise.
I would disagree that Celebrity was fair or treated the passengers with respect in the case of our cruise or on many other cruises when this has happened. I don't feel that how our cruise was handled was even anywhere close to being fair. I am from the US but can empathize with the approximately 1,000 passengers who came from over seas to take a one time cruise for what should have been the cruise of a lifetime. I can well imagine how fair I would think it was if I took a Celebrity cruise from someplace like Australia and had the same thing happen and then was told that I would have to travel all the way back to Australia to use my discount coupon. I remember reading the Celebrity Corporate Governance which states "Integrity is one of our company's core values, and we are committed to meeting the highest ethical standards in all of our business dealings". Maybe it's a "you had to be there" situation, but I just did not see this happening in our situation.

Have not been able to even think about allowing ourselves to get in a situation like that again but we have been thinking about the Century. Form all that I have read it does sound like a beautiful ship and does not have pods!

After much thought and considering that things do happen, we decided that this was not just the kind of thing that should be allowed to happen on any cruise line. I think it was the cover-ups that followed, by Celebrity that really was the straw that broke the camels back for us. While we do have to save for about one year to take a cruise on any ship, we returned the discount coupon to Celebrity with an explanation and as expected we never heard anything back. In fact the only response we ever received from Celebrity, about the whole incident, was a form letter that said "Celebrity is very sorry for the delay in embarkation for your Summit cruise". We never had any problem at embarkation time and never mentioned anything about it in our letter to Celebrity.

Before that cruise on the Summit we were big Celebrity supporters and recommended them too many of or friends. As I said before we were very satisfied with the food and service on all of our Celebrity cruises, including this very poor cruise.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review of exactly what did happen on our Celebrity Summit cruise.

Winston Churchill

Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks Debra

Thank You Debra for posting the information on this board. It certainly is a great help to all of us to have this information. Were not for cruisemates, I really don't know how anybody except those that were trapped on one of these cruises would even ever know about it, until it happened to them.

I did read your review of your Summit Alaskan cruise and frankly, I was shocked at what happened and how it was handled by Celebrity. I feel so sorry for you. Have you ever heard anything back from Celebrity?

I believe that almost anyone would agree with you that the compensation of $100 for what happened on your cruise was nothing more than an insult. I don't know about everybody else, but I am a shopper and always get at least 30% off the list price of every cruise that I have ever booked and often times the discount is 50% or more. This would indeed make the 30% off coupon worthless to most people.
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Captain

Default Re: Thanks Debra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Runner
Thank You Debra for posting the information on this board. It certainly is a great help to all of us to have this information. Were not for cruisemates, I really don't know how anybody except those that were trapped on one of these cruises would even ever know about it, until it happened to them.

I did read your review of your Summit Alaskan cruise and frankly, I was shocked at what happened and how it was handled by Celebrity. I feel so sorry for you. Have you ever heard anything back from Celebrity?

I believe that almost anyone would agree with you that the compensation of $100 for what happened on your cruise was nothing more than an insult. I don't know about everybody else, but I am a shopper and always get at least 30% off the list price of every cruise that I have ever booked and often times the discount is 50% or more. This would indeed make the 30% off coupon worthless to most people.
wave runner:

Thanks for your comments. No, I never got any response from Celebrity and in my last conversation with Celebrity the agent just said to "read your cruise contract and pay attention to the part that states that Celebrity does not warrant or guarantee the seaworthiness of their ships". You sure can't argue with any company that has a clause like that in their cruise contract!

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old March 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Celebrity (& parent co. Royal Caribbean)does not discount their cruises. You will NEVER get that kind of discount with them. And I have to disagree with you that the $200 cabin credit and 30% discount off a future cruise is worthless. IMO, it is more than fair. The fact that nurse debra chaose not to take advantage of the discount is her decision & has nothing to do with the fairness of the settlement.

What was NOT fair was the way Celebrity treated the problem. It should not have been such an ordeal to arrive at the credit level.
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Celebrity (& parent co. Royal Caribbean)does not discount their cruises. You will NEVER get that kind of discount with them. And I have to disagree with you that the $200 cabin credit and 30% discount off a future cruise is worthless. IMO, it is more than fair. The fact that nurse debra chaose not to take advantage of the discount is her decision & has nothing to do with the fairness of the settlement.

What was NOT fair was the way Celebrity treated the problem. It should not have been such an ordeal to arrive at the credit level.
Additionally, in the past when they have given these credits they are off the best price you can get so to say it is worthless is not accurate. That has always been their policy.
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Captain

You are correct that I did choose not to take advantage of any value that the coupon might have had. The main reason for my decision was the way Celebrity handled the whole thing and the thought of ever going through anything like that again far outweighed any possible gain that I might have received by using the coupon.

One other point to Rich and dkjretired, who were not on this cruise, about their feeling that Celebrity was fair in there handling of this matter. I would ask the question of how fair was this "generous" coupon to the almost 1,000 passengers who came from overseas? Celebrity chose to put a restriction on the coupon that said and I quote "Good only on cruises originating in North America". Now if I took a once in a lifetime cruise originating in say, Australia, and what happened on our cruise happened there, how fair would anyone think it would be to be given a coupon from Celebrity and told that I must return to Australia and take another cruise on Celebrity, in the next year or so, to use my "valuable" coupon?

I am not going to debate how fair or honest Celebrity was because the facts speak for themselves. While on bard the Captain sent out a letter stating that the coupons would be good for any Celebrity cruise on any date. I was going to use the coupon but when I actually received it, and saw all the harsh restrictions that Celebrity had added then it just lost any value, if any, that it had. If any readers have any questions please read my review which is posted on this board of my May 7, 2006 Celebrity Summit cruise.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old March 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Debra:

I don't believe that I said the compensation was fair, the only thing I pointed out was that in the past on Celebrity the compensation was applied to the best price you could get.

Don
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired
Debra:

I don't believe that I said the compensation was fair, the only thing I pointed out was that in the past on Celebrity the compensation was applied to the best price you could get.

Don
Don: My apologies, you are absolutely correct and you did not say that the compensation was fair; it was richsea who made that statement. Thanks for correcting me.

The statement that the compensation was applied to the best price that you could get, proved to be in fact simply not true. When I first received my coupon, I called Celebrity to reserve a Happy Hour cruise sale price and was informed that the future cruise credit was not valid for Happy Hour cruise prices. They then informed me that the best way for me to go, would be to select a cruise and then call and the Celebrity Customer Service personnel would then tell me whether or not I could use my coupon for that specific cruise. This was contrary to the "good for any cruise letter" from the Celebrity Captain which I received while still on board our cruise. It was then that I read all the restrictions and decided that the coupon was indeed worthless to me.

To answer the other question about whether or not a 30% off coupon is worth anything and the statement that Celebrity does not discount some cruises, I should point out that the very same cruise that I was on had a special, with the same balcony cabin that I paid $1,699 pp for, that was on sale for $1,299, for new bookings only. This was a 25% reduction in the price from what I paid. The price that I paid had already been reduced once already. As I said before, it was at this point that I decided that for me the coupon had little or no value and being forced to have to try to deal with Celebrity to use the coupon would never be worth it.

Winston Churchill

Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Debra:

I have to correct myself also, the coupons have always been good for best fare possible with the only exception being the Happy Hour Fares which they just don't discount at all.

Don
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Debra:

I have to correct myself also, the coupons have always been good for best fare possible with the only exception being the Happy Hour Fares which they just don't discount at all.

Don
Hi Don: I am afraid you may have to correct yourself again. In-spite of the fact that I do have a letter from Celebrity signed by the Captain of the Summit that said "this coupon good on any Celebrity sailing", when I received it, here are some of what the real "good on any Celebrity cruise" coupon restriction were::

1. Not valid on reunion cruises.

2. Good only on cruises from North America.

3. Not valid on Holiday or Inaufural sailings.

4. Void on any group cruises.

5. Then my personal favorite exclusion "CERTAIN OTHER
RESTRICTIONS APPLY"!

Restriction number five is the one that I questioned the agent about as to just what these "certain restrictions" were and was told that they could not tell me but to just pick a cruise and then call Celebrity and then they would tell me if these "certain restrictions", whatever they were, would apply to the cruise that I selected. Maybe it is just me, but that is just not a reasonable way for any company to do business. As you no doubt can tell in reading my review, on this board, that my decision not to use the coupon was pretty easy considering the lack of caring from Celebrity and sometimes downright lies about certain elements of our cruise, from the beginning and even long after our ill-fated cruise had ended.

As I have said before the food and service and the ports that we were able to get to in Alaska were great but there is most definitely a downside risk in sailing one of the ships that do have this problem. It is up to each person to assess their tolerance for this additional risk when planning their vacation.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old April 1st, 2008, 01:30 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Well, Celebrity must have fixed something as we were on the Summit in January, 2007 for 14 days doing the full transit of the Panama Canal from LA to FLL with no problems. Had a wonderful experience.
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
Quote:
Debra:

Don
Hi Don: I am afraid you may have to correct yourself again. In-spite of the fact that I do have a letter from Celebrity signed by the Captain of the Summit that said "this coupon good on any Celebrity sailing", when I received it, here are some of what the real "good on any Celebrity cruise" coupon restriction were::

1. Not valid on reunion cruises.

2. Good only on cruises from North America.

3. Not valid on Holiday or Inaufural sailings.

4. Void on any group cruises.

5. Then my personal favorite exclusion "CERTAIN OTHER
RESTRICTIONS APPLY"!

Restriction number five is the one that I questioned the agent about as to just what these "certain restrictions" were and was told that they could not tell me but to just pick a cruise and then call Celebrity and then they would tell me if these "certain restrictions", whatever they were, would apply to the cruise that I selected. Maybe it is just me, but that is just not a reasonable way for any company to do business. As you no doubt can tell in reading my review, on this board, that my decision not to use the coupon was pretty easy considering the lack of caring from Celebrity and sometimes downright lies about certain elements of our cruise, from the beginning and even long after our ill-fated cruise had ended.

As I have said before the food and service and the ports that we were able to get to in Alaska were great but there is most definitely a downside risk in sailing one of the ships that do have this problem. It is up to each person to assess their tolerance for this additional risk when planning their vacation.

Debra
Actually I don't have to correct myself and after reading my original post I would have to retract my last correction. I stated that the coupons have always been applied to best possible fares available which from all evidence is true. I said nothing either way about restrictions which would be on each individual coupon, you brought that up and that is totally seperate from what I said.

Don
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Captain

Default Propulsion problem on Celebrity Summit ??

Saw a report that Summit was experiencing engine problems on Nov 13, 2008. The report said the Summit was adrift at sea for a couple of hours and then moved on at a reduced speed. The captain did announce they were experiencing engine trouble.

One port was skipped and today Celebrity Customer Service is reporting that the problem has now been repaired and the next cruise will go on as scheduled.

Hopefully this is true but I think as many of us know, that many times Celebrity Customer Service is the last to get out the word of what is actually happening.

The next cruise or two should tell the story of if it was an engine problem or something related to the POD problems that have occurred in the past. If it turns out to be a POD problem dry dock would be required to make repairs. Hopefully, what ever the problem was, it has been repaired and all is well.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old November 19th, 2008, 12:53 AM
First Mate

Default Good Heavens Woman - Get a Life !!

Here you go again about Celebrity and the pods "issue". Granted you are keeping others informed about this situation but I, personally, am wondering if you have nothing better to do. Where do you get all this info?? Do you have an inside source on the ship sending you these updates??? Or do you hve some type of "special long distance vision" so as to watch the ships of Celebrity and whatever problems that may develop ??? This subject is getting as monotonous as the Yellow Fever and Visa questions regarding South America !!!!

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Captain

Ditto! Enough already.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It is obvious the poster has some personal reason for posting this rather bland information over and over. This one thread should be enough to cover it for our readers who care to look it up.

If the poster has a reason for doing like this that leads to personal gain (ie: if she is involved in a class action lawsuit) then we will not allow further posting on it as we are not here for the purposes of people using our boards to sway legal opinions.

In fact, Royal Caribbean's earnings reports says there is a lawsuit over these pods is still pending between the company and the manufacturer.
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
First Mate

Default PLEASE PUT AN END TO THIS !!!!!!!!!

Well, I, for one, think the entire subject has been "talked to death" !!!!!
The verbal boxing match between Nurse Debra and Kuki on another
thread of the same subject is informative but EXTREMELY tiresome !!
I should think that Nurse Debra has gotten her message across months
ago and the subject should be CLOSED !!!!!!!!!!! JMO

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM
Captain

Default A very simple solution

Hello all:

Could not help but notice all the enthusiasm for my posts by a few posters and I welcome their comments and respect their right to do so.
That said, I thought I might as well give my opinion. After all this IS a great site to give cruising opinions and reviews.

Just to recap; this thread is titled propulsion failures, and last week the Celebrity Summit DID have a propulsion failure that stopped one engine. After investigating the word now, from Celebrity, is that the problem was with the engine and not the PODS. There ship did have to skip the port of Croatia because of the need to run at reduced speed with just one engine functioning, until reaching port where Celebrity has reported that the necessary repairs were made. This nothing more than cruising information and that is the whole purpose of this cruise web site. When I want to read information about how perfect a particular cruise line is, be persuaded to buy stock to get an OBC or be given a sales pitch, then I just go to that cruise line's web site and presto!!! Now, this is a cruise information thread and I really don't know where else to post this information.

For those who for what ever reason do not want to read information about problems such as these there is a very simple solution. Simply DO NOT CLICK ON THIS THREAD; I don't know what could be simpler.

This a growing cruise web site and new people are here looking for all information and not just interested in postings from cheerleaders for a particular cruise line. For those who seem so interested in suppressing selected information, about a cruise line then I would have to question your motives.

Few if any ever seem to question the motives of posting false information about things that had not been repaired and reporting that they were repaired. So I don't think that my information was bland and the only personal gain for me is to give my input of facts and correct inaccurate facts when they are posted. Granted, my last experience on Celebrity would leave most anyone who was on that cruise with a totally different opinion of Celebrity than those who have not experienced the treatment I went through on that May 7, 2006 Summit cruise.

Rburke: Yours is probably the best comment that I have seen in the past couple of days and great advice to those who seem to be so upset about reading news that they don't seem to want to hear.

Happy Sailing,
Debra

Winston Churchill

Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

This topic will now be locked. It isn't THAT important that it deserves to be kept alive by people continuing to post to it.

Yes, there was a problem with those pods, but it appears to me one thread about this is enough. Plus, it seems obvious the original poster has some personal interest in talking about this subject to intentionally embarass or possible get some financial gain from it from Celebrity and we do not condone people usurping board time in CruiseMates to advance personal goals.

Anyone who wants to read about this can find it easily with a search of "Celebrity Pod Failure" in Cruisemates' search feature.
Closed Thread