Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:07 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama
Default South America Cruise - Infinity

I have just been reading passenger reviews on Cruise Critic about the
Dec. 2007 sailings around South America on the Infinity - we are thinking
of doing this next Jan or Feb, 2009. I am really at a loss now after reading
these remarks. Not very positive feedback about the ship, food or the
service. Any thoughts. We sailed on the Summit (Panama Canal -full transit last Jan. 2006) and was the best ever. Now I am perplexed!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: South America Cruise - Infinity

Sherrie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have just been reading passenger reviews on Cruise Critic about the
Dec. 2007 sailings around South America on the Infinity - we are thinking
of doing this next Jan or Feb, 2009. I am really at a loss now after reading
these remarks. Not very positive feedback about the ship, food or the
service. Any thoughts. We sailed on the Summit (Panama Canal -full transit last Jan. 2006) and was the best ever. Now I am perplexed!!
First, consider the source. Look at other posts by the same member to see if they are coming from somebody like our dear friend "Nurse Debra" who has an axe to grind against Celebrity Cruises. If so, take them with a grain of salt.

Second, look to see if others are making similar comments or if this is an isolated individual. If there are others, evaluate the comments to see if it's a "me too!" bandwagon effect or if they really seem to reflect a trend.

And third, look again at the comments to see if they really reflect personal taste rather than a genuine deficiency. This is especially true of food, for example, as style of cuisine is very much a matter of personal preference.

Sadly, there are some people who live to gripe. They would find fault even with Heaven!

Norm.
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
First Mate

Thanks, Norm. Yes, I do take most comments with a grain of salt and as
I used to work for a travel agency and know that everyone has different
likes/dislikes and opinions of what to do and see. However, on the Cruise
Critic site - there were four different posts from the same cruise (Dec.'07)
and that's what has me wondering as this would be the same ship we
wanted to take next Jan. '09. As far as Nurse Debra - she has made some very valid points (some of which I had previously not thought about) but
I certainly wish this particular topic would come to an END!
Old March 8th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Captain

Default Re: South America Cruise - Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17

First, consider the source. Look at other posts by the same member to see if they are coming from somebody like our dear friend "Nurse Debra" who has an axe to grind against Celebrity Cruises. If so, take them with a grain of salt.

Sadly, there are some people who live to gripe. They would find fault even with Heaven!

Norm.
There were a couple of points from a certain "Celebrity promoter� that I do have to address. To even infer, by innundoes, that somehow your posts are the only opinions that should be given any weight at all, is more than a little hard to fathom.

"First consider the source"? I was the one who reported the truth when you stated that he was on the Galaxy late last year and the fogged windows on the Galaxy had all been replaced. I was also the one who stated the truth, after you had posted that the last pod problem for the Celebrity m-class ships was in 2006. The truth was that in reality there were a total of about thirty-five weeks of cruises that had pod problems on the Infinity and Millennium in 2007. BTW, still waiting for an admission from you that you did post inaccurate information about that! I was also the one who reported that the present condition of the Galaxy is not as you reported as being "magnificent". All three of these erroneous posts by you would have been accepted as fact, if I had not corrected them.

After all, my unfortunate cruise is over and done with, and the only "axe to grind" that I have, is with those who do not want any open discussions about the pod problems or any problems at all, with their favorite cruise line. I do find it a bit of a stretch to somehow drag my name as you put it, "old friend Debra", into the discussion of a thread I had not yet even posted on and about a cruise on the Infinity (Dec 2007) that I was not on and have never commented about.

Looking at the posting history of a poster who always praises a certain cruise line and tries to put down and demean those who do not, is a great idea. I think one should also take information, that is sometimes quite mis-leading, from a large stockholder in a certain company, with a very large grain of salt.

Since you chose to bring my name into this thread I might as well put in my opinions in my next post.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old March 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie Platt
Thanks, Norm. Yes, I do take most comments with a grain of salt and as
I used to work for a travel agency and know that everyone has different
likes/dislikes and opinions of what to do and see. However, on the Cruise
Critic site - there were four different posts from the same cruise (Dec.'07)
and that's what has me wondering as this would be the same ship we
wanted to take next Jan. '09. As far as Nurse Debra - she has made some very valid points (some of which I had previously not thought about) but
I certainly wish this particular topic would come to an END!
Thanks Sherrie fro your comments and being open minded about all posts.

I have also been reading the many reports about a downturn in the condition of the ship, food and service for the Infinity. On my cruise, while there were some cosmetic maintenance issues on the Summit these cosmetic issues would not have affected my enjoyment of my cruise in any way and the food and service, at that time, was every bit as good as what I have experienced on Princess. I also thought the state of the art theater, on our Celebrity cruise was the best theater that I had ever seen on any cruise line. As I said before my biggest concern would be the possibility of propulsion problems, like the ones that we suffered through, happening on your Infinity cruise. If there were no pod problems, I think you would probably have a good time on the Infinity. My only goal is for cruisers to look at all the true facts, keep an open mind, read a lot of different opinions and don't let anyone but yourself decide what your tolerance for the risk is and what is best for you.

Happy sailing.
Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old March 9th, 2008, 04:48 AM
First Mate

Thanks Norm and Debra for your comments. Anyone else out there that
sailed on the Infinity in Dec. 2007 ??? If you want your comments to
remain private - contact me at: sherrie6269@msn.com. Thanks. 8) 8)
Old March 10th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Passenger

I took the Celebrity Millenium around South America, March 2006. The ship was great, but better than that was the cruise. We started in Buenos Aires, and ended in Santiego, Chile. We saw sight that I never expected to see. the Falklands, Ushuaia, Chilian fiords, not to mention Cape Horn. Sometimes, it's the destination, and the ports that really make the cruise. As I said the millenium was great, but what we saw was even better, and it is definately worth the trip.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old March 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the comments - unfortuately, the only ships that I can find
for the South America (aroung the Cape) are either the HAL (which is
extremely expensive, right now) or the Celebrity Infinity. I am NOT a
fan of Princess and I just read a very lenghty review of the Azamara"s
"Journey" (the poster had a wonderful trip but was very unhappy with
the size of their balcony cabin - other than the bed linens and TV upgrade -
the cabin had not changed in appearance or function from 10 years ago.
This really surprized me especially as they spent over $ 10,000 including
their airfare from Vancouver and had one drawer in the cabin and one
small shelf in the bathroom. (I was really impressed with our bathroom
on the Summit). She also mentioned that over $ 30 million was spent to
refurbish these Azamara ships but definately was not evident in their
class 2A cabin. Well, I'll just keep looking - I really want to include Rio
in this trip - if we are spending this kind of money and traveling such
a distance - might as well see as much as we can.
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Familiar Face

Friends of ours did the South American trip cruise around the cape on the Infinity and loved their trip! They did the trip back-to-back in November /07-Dec./07 (that was only 4 months ago) so that they were away for almost a month it seemed. Shirley came by with tons of pictures, especially the different species of penguins that they saw, and she could not stop talking about how amazing the cruise was. These friends are avid cruisers. We met them while on a 16 day Celebrity Zenith final cruise last year. They had never been on the Infinity and loved the ship, and the entertainment. They said the food was better than our Zenith cruise and we thought that the food we had was fantastic!). The only negative that they had was that the weather was colder than she expected and they did not come back with tans like they usually do. She said that the trip was the most exciting experience for them ever! They loved Buenos Aires, and I wish I could recall all the places that they were wild about. If anyone is interested I could ask them to get on this blog and tell more.. Hope this helps out!
Question: I have booked for my husband and I a trip to Alaska on the Celebrity Mercury on June 8th. Any comments? I feel ready to cancel all the time because I like the heat and I am worried about being on a cold cruise...HELP!
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Passenger

i cruised Alaska several years ago in July. When the ship is near the glaciers, it is cold, the glaciers make their own climate. But you're going to see the glaciers, right? Get those nice silk long johns, and you won't have to bring really heavy coats, just make sure you also have hats and gloves for those days. Otherwise, the weather is lovely. Around 5pm. it might start getting cooler. The best thing is the sunshine, into so late in the evening. When we went we drove up, with our RV and shipped it back while we cruised south from Anchorage. Believe me, the inside passage is very pleasant. Not warm like the Carib, but certainly comfortable.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old March 18th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Frequent Cruiser for the info on Alaska. Since we live in Vancouver, we are used to the rugged scenery and somehow I have just thought that perhaps the trip would be much of the same, but the glaciers really are what the Alaska trip experience is about. I am starting to look forward to it and appreciate your feedback. (I really do like the "hot, hot, hot" cruises myself!)

June 8th, Celebrity Mercury Alaska
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Beginner

Default INFINITY AND SOUTH AMERICA

We did a South America cruise in Dec 2006.We had big problems as
my wife is disabled.The problem was with hotel to peir and
pier to hotel.THE rep in Santiago was not helpfuland the purser staff
was not either.The crew seemed indifferent