Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Passenger

Default Galaxy finally official

all of us that are booked on the galaxy for this summer can now breathe a sigh of relief............its official!!!! its being renovated!!!!!!we are going on the august 22 cruise and we have heard all these negative comments about galaxy,s condition.
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Galaxy

We are glad the wok is being done but wish more extensive work such as the Century makeover were taking place on Galaxy.

Over all we like the Galaxy a lot and feel it doesn't have the vibration problem nearly as bad as her sister Mercury.

We'd sail her in a minute.
Old March 8th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Passenger

thanks cookie for the reassurance that you would sail on the galaxy again. we have never cruised and spent lots of money on a suite and also the airfare from atlanta to rome was expensive so we wanted to be sure we were not booked on anything other than ideal.
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Galaxy finally official

swh&cv,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
all of us that are booked on the galaxy for this summer can now breathe a sigh of relief............its official!!!! its being renovated!!!!!!we are going on the august 22 cruise and we have heard all these negative comments about galaxy,s condition.
Actually, the crew did a LOT of the work that she needed last year while she continued to operate. I took a cruise to the southern Caribbean in January 2007 and a cruise to the Mediterranean, Agean, and Black Seas in October-November 2007, and the difference was really incredible.

>> During the first cruise, a work crew was just starting resurfacing the deck around the main swimming pool with a non-skid material called Bolidt but the old deck material had many holes in it. On the second cruise, all of the topside weatherdecks had been competely resurfaced.

>> During the first cruise, the upholstery in some of the lounges looked rather grungy. During the second cruise, it obviously had been cleaned.

>> During the first cruise, there were sections of carpeting that looked tattered. During the second cruise, they had been replaced.

>> And during the second cruise, the ship's crew was replacing the stained and discolored sinks in many of the cabin heads with brand new units.

Overall, MV Galaxy is now in very good condition! The yard upkeep will take care of the few remaining items that the crew could not fix while the ship is operating, like replacement of glass in the windows of the observation lounge.

That said, I still would like to know whose heads rolled over the preceding neglect of maintenance that left her in such poor condition!

Norm.
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by swh&cv
The Galaxy dry dock will not be anything like the renovation of the Century. The work on the Galaxy will be less than 10% of what was done to the Century. I just heard about the official press release from Celebrity about what is to be done and there was no mention of fixing the fogged windows in the Stratosphere Lounge. I can not believe that Celebrity will not replace those awful windows and my theory is that Celebrity is embarrassed to mention that they will be fixed, knowing that so many passengers know that they have been left that way for over six years. So, I am betting that Celebrity would not dare to return that ship to service with those same awful windows.

Since all the decisions on what to upgrade or major repairs all come from the corporate office I can almost guarantee that no "suits" were fired over the lack of maintenance for the Galaxy for the past several years. In fact, this lack of maintenance was quite a cost savings for Celebrity. Yes, Celebrity has finally started to make the much needed repairs and upgrading but that is of little use to all of the thousands who have sailed that ship for the last several years, when they were told they would be sailing on a premium cruise ship.

AS a side light to the Galaxy, Celebrity has said that Solstice will take over the Galaxy's MED itineraries in 2009. The rumor mill has it that the Galaxy may go to the German market to be the first ship for TUI Cruises a new joint venture between RCI and TUI. If this proves to be true then, the drastic cutbacks from the work that was done on the Century would all make sense.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Debra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The Galaxy dry dock will not be anything like the renovation of the Century. The work on the Galaxy will be less than 10% of what was done to the Century.
That's because much of the needed refurbishment of interior spaces and weather decks occurred while the ship continued to operate over the past year. I'll grant you that the press release does not mention a specialty restaurant, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I just heard about the official press release from Celebrity about what is to be done and there was no mention of fixing the fogged windows in the Stratosphere Lounge. I can not believe that Celebrity will not replace those awful windows and my theory is that Celebrity is embarrassed to mention that they will be fixed, knowing that so many passengers know that they have been left that way for over six years. So, I am betting that Celebrity would not dare to return that ship to service with those same awful windows.
I'm not taking your bet. A cruise line that would allow a ship to operate with fogged windows in an observation lounge would "dare" to allow the ship to operate in that condition after an overhaul.

That said, the omission of this item from the press release may have been either an oversight by a PR type who did not understand the problem or a deliberate omission to avoid public embarrassment. Either way, the line clearly should correct the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Since all the decisions on what to upgrade or major repairs all come from the corporate office I can almost guarantee that no "suits" were fired over the lack of maintenance for the Galaxy for the past several years. In fact, this lack of maintenance was quite a cost savings for Celebrity. Yes, Celebrity has finally started to make the much needed repairs and upgrading but that is of little use to all of the thousands who have sailed that ship for the last several years, when they were told they would be sailing on a premium cruise ship.
I hate to tell you, but deferring maintenance on ships and other mechanical systems does NOT save much. In fact, it's usually "penny wise and pound foolish" as neglected maintenance leads to more serious problems that require more costly repairs. If you don't believe me, stop changing the oil in your car's engine and see what it costs to overhaul (or replace) an engine that has seized up due to inadequate lubrication!

And I also would not bet that no "'suits' were fired" over this. The cost of correcting the damage done by neglected maintenance is guaranteed to get somebody's attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
AS a side light to the Galaxy, Celebrity has said that Solstice will take over the Galaxy's MED itineraries in 2009. The rumor mill has it that the Galaxy may go to the German market to be the first ship for TUI Cruises a new joint venture between RCI and TUI. If this proves to be true then, the drastic cutbacks from the work that was done on the Century would all make sense.
No, it still does not make sense -- economically or otherwise.

Norm.
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Captain

Default Galaxy press release from Celebrity about needed maintenance

Miami - (March 05, 2008 ) - Celebrity Cruises, known for providing "star treatment" to its guests, plans to offer star treatment to one of its ships. Celebrity Galaxy will undergo an approximately $4-million makeover during its scheduled drydock in Freeport, Bahamas, from April 18 through May 2. During that time:
• The ship's two-level main dining room will be completely refurbished, with new, contemporary carpeting, reupholstered and newly varnished chairs, new waiter stations, and entirely new floor-to-ceiling columns.
• The adjacent RendezVous Lounge will be enhanced with entirely new upholstery, as will the Martini Bar, one of the Celebrity brand's most popular signature spaces.
• Not to be upstaged, the Celebrity Theater will be completely refurbished, with new carpeting and upholstery throughout.
• The casual dining and buffet areas will be entirely revitalized, with new chairs, carpeting, upholstery and lighting.
• The neighboring pool deck area will be made even more inviting, with new teak bolidt decking, and striking new glass tiles surrounding the pool.
• The retail area also will be enhanced, with entirely refurbished jewelry boutiques and brighter, more contemporary new product-display areas throughout.
• The Stratosphere Lounge - an observation area by day and dance club by night - will feature entirely new carpets and lounge seating upholstery.
• Contemporary new carpeting will be laid in 250 staterooms, and new sinks and new upholstery will complement the same work that already has been completed in the balance of the ship’s staterooms.

Norm: Please read my post that you responded to and you will find that I said I thought that even "Celebrity would not dare to send the Galaxy back out of dry dock with those awful windows" in the Stratosphere Lounge. For the first time we agree, so there was no need to be so defensive.

For the second time we agree when you said it would be stupid of Celebrity not to perform needed maintenance. I agree with your statement, but, as you have admitted, it has happened and IMHO it will continue to happen. In my opinion there is a cost savings in the short run for Celebrity and its stockholders but in the long run it will hurt Celebrity and also you stockholders. This is a similar to an unwise decision which Celebrity made in 2007 when deciding to sail the Infinity and Millennium for a total of 35 weeks with pod problems to avoid giving out any free cruises, before the scheduled dry docks, because of a cancelled cruise; again it may have saved Celebrity money in the short run but not in the long run. Glad we are starting to agree on some things.

I think the biggest reason for the wild difference of opinions that you see about Celebrity is the inconsistency with the quality of Celebrity ships and even the inconsistency on the same ship on the very same cruise.

I can see how if someone happened to get one of the cabins that had been properly maintained with sinks that were not stained, furniture that was not stained and tattered, beds that were comfortable, carpets that were not stained; they would have a good opinion of their Celebrity cruise. On the other hand if you happened to get a cabin that had not been maintained and was in a totally unacceptable condition, then you would come away with a totally different opinion of Celebrity. The part that is totally unfair, in my opinion, is that everyone paid the same amount of money for like cabins, but received a totally different experience, on what they thought was a "premium" cruise ship.

For me I will always go for a consistent product that is reliable every time and I hope that maybe someday Celebrity will get there.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old March 16th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default I agree with Nurse Debra....

One of my friends on the other boards has all but confirmed that Galaxy will be leaving the fleet in 2009.

The renovations they are doing are purely cosmetic. Upholsery and carpeting. nothing else.

I'll be sailing her in about 80 days for the June 9th cruise and will try to get more info.

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:53 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default Re: I agree with Nurse Debra....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bububr
One of my friends on the other boards has all but confirmed that Galaxy will be leaving the fleet in 2009.

The renovations they are doing are purely cosmetic. Upholsery and carpeting. nothing else.

I'll be sailing her in about 80 days for the June 9th cruise and will try to get more info.

Dave
It has also been posted on the other boards that Galaxy IS NOT leaving the fleet in 2009. There are always rumors from some who have heard from inside sources, particularly crew members, of some upcoming event (ex: stretching Century), that turn out to be just that; rumors.Until Celebrity officially announces that Galaxy is leaving, all else is speculation.

Personally, I hope X keeps all of the C class ships for as long as possible. They are perfectly sized, & the more ships in the fleet, the more varied itinareries can be offered.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Captain

Quote:

Dave
Hi Dave:

You are correct that the renovations on the Galaxy are just going to be cosmetic but much needed ones. Given the past track record for Celebrity, I don't think anybody will know for sure what the fate of the Galaxy is, until just before it happens. After six years it will be nice to hopefully, finally replace those awful windows in the Stratosphere Lounge.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old March 20th, 2008, 05:45 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
Quote:

Dave
Hi Dave:

You are correct that the renovations on the Galaxy are just going to be cosmetic but much needed ones. Given the past track record for Celebrity, I don't think anybody will know for sure what the fate of the Galaxy is, until just before it happens. After six years it will be nice to hopefully, finally replace those awful windows in the Stratosphere Lounge.

Debra
Please, please, please!!!.......enough with the Galaxy windows!!!!! It seems that you are obsessed with them!

You have made many valid points in the past, but your contsant harping on the same thing, over & over & over, indicates that you have an agenda & vendetta against Celebrity & causes the valid points that you do make seem shallow. After a while, you lose credibility. JMHO
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
Quote:

Dave
Hi Dave:

Debra
Please, please, please!!!.......enough with the Galaxy windows!!!!! It seems that you are obsessed with them!

You have made many valid points in the past, but your contsant harping on the same thing, over & over & over, indicates that you have an agenda & vendetta against Celebrity & causes the valid points that you do make seem shallow. After a while, you lose credibility. JMHO

Thank you, could not have said it better...
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Captain

Geeeez, all I said was that after six years of those windows it will be nice to finally have the "you know what" repaired and I am sure many unbiased cruisers would agree. My point has always been that Celebrity has been a very good cruise line with excellent food and service. The main shortcomings of Celebrity are in the maintenance, furnishings and appearance areas on many of their ships. Many improvements have been made on the Galaxy the last nine months but my point is why would any cruise line allow one of their ships fall to the condition the Galaxy was in about one year ago? Another case in point is the condition of the "Bar at the edge of the Earth" on Celebrity m-class ships. They have been left in a trashed condition since the departure of the ill-fated Cirque du Soleil experiment more than two years ago. As far as I have heard the "Bar at the edge of the Earth" is still in the same awful condition as it was two years ago. If it has been restored to the beautiful place that it once was, I hope someone will let me know. Things like that certainly do not require dry dock and just need Celebrity to take more pride in the condition of their ships. In the past Celebrity has been a great cruise line and in my opinion it can do a lot better in the areas that I have mentioned. While these are only my opinions and they are shared by many other passengers who have sailed Celebrity ships.

If people just accept everything that any cruise line does or any condition of their ships, then why would anybody in charge have any reason to make improvements when they are needed? That is where a place like cruisemates comes in to allow open discussion of both the good points and the bad points about any cruise line, so that readers can make an informed decision as to how to spend their vacation dollars.

Happy Sailing,

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old March 21st, 2008, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Its not that we don't agree with you, that's not the point, its the APPEARENCE of an agenda on your part.

Don
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Debra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Geeeez, all I said was that after six years of those windows it will be nice to finally have the "you know what" repaired and I am sure many unbiased cruisers would agree. My point has always been that Celebrity has been a very good cruise line with excellent food and service. The main shortcomings of Celebrity are in the maintenance, furnishings and appearance areas on many of their ships. Many improvements have been made on the Galaxy the last nine months but my point is why would any cruise line allow one of their ships fall to the condition the Galaxy was in about one year ago? Another case in point is the condition of the "Bar at the edge of the Earth" on Celebrity m-class ships. They have been left in a trashed condition since the departure of the ill-fated Cirque du Soleil experiment more than two years ago. As far as I have heard the "Bar at the edge of the Earth" is still in the same awful condition as it was two years ago. If it has been restored to the beautiful place that it once was, I hope someone will let me know. Things like that certainly do not require dry dock and just need Celebrity to take more pride in the condition of their ships. In the past Celebrity has been a great cruise line and in my opinion it can do a lot better in the areas that I have mentioned. While these are only my opinions and they are shared by many other passengers who have sailed Celebrity ships.
Why on earth are you bringing up the subject of the remnants of the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" aboard MV Summit and MV Constellation on this thread? There's no doubt that the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" decor exhibits all the style and class of a freshly "toilet papered" college dorm room (a remark which drew considerable agreement when I made it in another thread and stunned shock when I made it directly to a representative of the cruise line), but the fact remains that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the present condition of MV Galaxy. Further, bringing in irrelevant negatives gives a very strong impression of an irrational vendetta that diminishes your credibility, as others have said.

And FWIW, the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" seat covers and draperies are in good condition. They are just a style that's about as tasteless as it gets!

Norm.
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Captain

Hi Norm:

I had to at your vivid description of the "Bar at the edge of the Earth". That may be your best post ever! It was in the same condition on my Summit cruise and your description is perfect!

I think the condition of what I have also heard of being described as the "Dump at the edge of the Earth" is totally relevant to how the condition of the Galaxy was allowed to deteriorate. As you have reported it is good that finally Celebrity has decided that something had to be done to restore the Galaxy. Celebrity has made a business decision to just ignore some things that should have been done, in the way of proper maintenance, a long time ago on the Galaxy. The condition of the observation bars on the m-class ships is just one more example of what I have been saying. IMHO the condition of the observation lounges on the
m-class ships are indicative of the lack of care about the conditions on board some Celebrity ships.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old March 25th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Admiral

I laughed at Norms description also. I believe and have said before that Celebrity is just doing what they have to with Galaxy until next year when she will be gone from the fleet. The rumors are that she has already been sold but I don't buy that, I beleive she will just be transferred somewhere else in the Royal Caribbean world. It just seems clear from everything being said that she is all but gone.

Don
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Debra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I think the condition of what I have also heard of being described as the "Dump at the edge of the Earth" is totally relevant to how the condition of the Galaxy was allowed to deteriorate. As you have reported it is good that finally Celebrity has decided that something had to be done to restore the Galaxy. Celebrity has made a business decision to just ignore some things that should have been done, in the way of proper maintenance, a long time ago on the Galaxy. The condition of the observation bars on the m-class ships is just one more example of what I have been saying. IMHO the condition of the observation lounges on the
m-class ships are indicative of the lack of care about the conditions on board some Celebrity ships.
Rather, I think that the executives at the company's headquarters in Miami had no idea how just dumpy the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" chair coverings and draperies look. They just figured that these items were pretty new, so there was no reason to replace (or remove) them when the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" went away. Further, it's likely that their removal would necessitate cleaning of upholstery on chairs, the original wall coverings on the bulkheads, etc., and patching of holes created by the brackets that hold the cables for the draperies, which clearly could have been a significant expense.

Norm.
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Passenger

with all of this being said..............should i cancel my cruise on the celebrity for late august? everyone has me leary and somewhat nervous.
wade
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
with all of this being said..............should i cancel my cruise on the celebrity for late august? everyone has me leary and somewhat nervous.
wade
No you shouldn't, the ship will be only a few months out of drydock and in good shape.

Don
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
wade
Hi Wade! If you want to read recent cruisers' reviews of Galaxy, try here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...ship&ShipID=16
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Captain

Come on people! Do you spend your entire time on a cruise reporting for HGT-TV? I was on the Constellation Feb.8-18 and spent numerous hours in the Bar at the Edge......Not exactly the way I'd decorate my living room but HEY-it's a cruise!! It's not like you're moving in-what is the problem?
Starting to sound a little obsessive to me. Guess I'm just easy to please-got my fuel surcharge refunded so I'm a happy camper.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired
I laughed at Norms description also. I believe and have said before that Celebrity is just doing what they have to with Galaxy until next year when she will be gone from the fleet. The rumors are that she has already been sold but I don't buy that, I beleive she will just be transferred somewhere else in the Royal Caribbean world. It just seems clear from everything being said that she is all but gone.

Don
Hi Don: Yes, it was way over the top. On Celebrity ships, as well as all others you will find mostly very nice people and a few not so nice. It is true for all cruise lines and Celebrity has no "special place" with the "type" of passengers that buy a cruise ticket. Sometimes when I read Norm's posts, I feel like I am reading a Celebrity TA sales training manual! .

I agree with you and feel that if Celebrity does makes the needed repairs and upgrades on the Galaxy, the ship should be in the best shape that it has been in the last six years.

As far as the "TP'ed bar" on Celebrity m-class ships the whole point is, that these conditions should not continue to be just ignored, by Celebrity, for more than two years, on what is portrayed as a premium cruise line and on what is billed as a five star cruise ship. Granted this is just an opinion, but that is the whole purpose of what cruisemates is here for, to give different opinions and allow the readers to get an idea of what to expect on various cruise lines and cruise ships.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old March 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Wade,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
It depends. If you are looking for a "casual" cruise, during which you don't have to dress up for dinner and such, I seriously would recommend another line.

And if you are looking for a cruise line that has every last jot in exactly the right place, you might prefer one of the luxury lines like Silversea or Crystal or Cunard, or Regent Seven Seas, for which you will pay about twice as much.

But if you are looking for a classy traditional cruise with a mostly "upper middle class" passengers and the elegance of true "formal" evenings at an affordable price, Celebrity is the line of choice.

Norm.
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Captain

Quote:
wade
If you are cruising after the scheduled dry dock for the Galaxy you should be alright, as long as Celebrity does make the necessary repairs. You might want to check reviews after the Galaxy returns from dry dock to be sure that the ship has been returned to what it should be. Since I don't own any stock in any cruise line, I can say in all honesty that there are many cruise lines that offer formal nights on their cruises and also some cruise lines that tend to be more casual. It is just a matter of what kind of a cruise you are looking for. My choice, having sailed many cruise lines, would be Princess. All Princess ships are in top notch condition and Princess does not let any of their ships become run down or tired. The prices on Princess are usually lower than Celebrity and the overall product is much better. Holland America along with several other cruise lines also offer a great cruising experience without the expense of sailing on any luxury cruise ship, as some would lead you to believe.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old March 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
First Mate

Hi Wade.

IMO, Princess is a suitable alternative to Celebrity, but just a tad below. We did one cruise on Princess(Crown), & had a great time & would consider them in the future for the right itinerary & price.

FWIW, here is a comparison I posted some months back:

Celebrity vs. Princess - My View

We just returned from a 7 day cruise aboard Crown Princess, our first Princess cruise after 13 cruises on Celebrity. I thought that I would try to give some comparisons or differences between the 2 lines. I realize that it is a little unfair to compare the two after only one cruise on Princess but I will try to be objective as I can. Please remember that these are only MY views & others may disagree.

First a little background about us. We are 62 & 63 years old & try to cruise twice per year. Things we look for on a cruise are good service, good food, clean ships & enjoyable entertainment. While we haven’t tried RCI & Carnival, I don’t perceive them as being what we look for in a cruise.
We enjoy dancing & our port days are usually spent at the beach. We rarely take ship excursions & don’t have to be “on the go” 24/7.

We took this cruise with our 8 year old grandson, so there were many ship’s facilities that we did not make use of because we chose to spend most our time with him.

Here are some of our observations:

Service: Overall, I would say that the service is comparable. We found cabin service & room service the same on Princess as we have come to expect from Celebrity.
We did personal choice dining in the Da Vinci Restaurant because we felt it would be better suited for us with our grandson. We did not try the specialty restaurants. I liked being able to dine when we were ready, but also enjoy having the same waiter & dining companions. Most of our waiters on the Crown were efficient & friendly. I think I prefer traditional dining, so maybe next time.

Entertainment: IMO, Princess clearly wins over Celebrity. There is much more going on in the evening than on X. There was a lot of entertainment that we would have liked to seen, but weren’t able to because of our grandson. What we did see; the comedians, a ventriloquist, a magician, & 2 “body balancers” who did things that defy gravity, were very good. There were always a number of venues available every night. Movies Under The Stars (MUTS): We enjoyed it, but it was a little loud & the accoustics make it hard to understand sometimes. If you don’t like it, there are alternative pools to use. Our grandson loved it.
We also felt that the hot tubs on Celebrity were more powerful than on the Crown.

Food: Celebrity wins here for us, even though we think that X’s food is slipping somewhat. What is with the “small plate” “large plate” on Princess? It seems that all the soups, appetizer, & salads are just bunched together on the menu. Soups were limited, & the ones we had we found so so.
We found the entrees good, but did not find one that jumped out for us. We also thought that the desserts were nothing special, just OK. X has better bread sticks, but Princess has far better rolls.
The buffets were comparable, with the standard choices, although I’ve never seen meat loaf, macaroni salad, or tuna salad served on X. I’ve seen complaints about the layout on Horizon Court, but I think that the way Princess has it laid out makes for a better flow than on Celebrity as you are able to skip what you don’t want & not file along. We enjoyed the pizza on both lines; X has crispier crust; Princess thinner crust & cheesier. Pizza is very subjective.

Cabins: We had a balcony stateroom on Baja Deck. The size was similar to most of the rooms we’ve had on X, but really not efficiently laid out. My wife said that they needed a woman to design them. The shower is the smallest since our Meridian cruise, definitely not for sharing a shower! There is kind of a walk-in closet with some shelves that also house the safe. There were many more hangars than the three of us could use, but not nearly not enough drawers for storage The room had a refrigerator (not stocked) which housed the ice bucket, but the frige is enclosed in a cabinet that has a chair in front of it. In order to get in the frige, you must move the chair, open the cabinet, & open the frige. Very clumsy.

Embarkation: Similar between the two lines. We arrived at just before noon & were in our stateroom by 12:30. Disembarkation was not as smooth. We waited in the theater from 8;30 & gor off the ship at 12:30! They started disembarking at 8:15 & there was about an hour around 9AM that no one was called. I don’t think this was the fault of Princess, but customs; however, it would have been nice to be told something.

Other Observations: I think X does some little things that Princess doesn’t; like the welcome champagne, I know it’s cheap, but a nice touch.
Escorts passengers to rooms.
Supplies trays in buffet & sometimes offers to carry them to your table.
Supplies towels by the pool - you don’t have to bring them from your room.
Amenities in bathroom; Q-tips, shower caps, beach bag in room.
Cold towels when returning to ship.
Free sorbet by the pool.
X has interactive TV where you can check your $ charges to date at any time.
Fewer announcements on X. Two or three days we were awoken to announcements at 7:10 AM
Free ice cream - not so on Princess

Princess plus’s: While no interactive TV, there are more channel choices with better selections.
Chair hogs; never had a problem getting a chair by the pool.
Much more lenient with soda card. My wife A grandson ordered soda from the same card with no questions asked.
Future cruise program; booking onboard. For $200 down you can prebooke with cabin credit, depending on length, & have 4 yrs’ to decide on a cruise. Can also invite others who get tha same perk.
The future cruise area is stocked with tons of brochures. On X it seems that they are rationed, like they really don’t want you to take one.
Better hair dryers, just ask my wife.

Bottom line, & I apologize if I went on too long, I would (& did) book again with Princess, but I think that Celebrity remains our line of choice.
Old March 28th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Passenger

thanks for all of that. it was very helpful. we have decided to keep our cruise on the galaxy and hope for the best. we have never cruised before so we really will have nothing to compare it to so im sure it will be the best for us.
wade
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

swh&cv--you had me worried there. I was almost afraid to look at your post, for fear that you had confirmed Galaxy's leaving the fleet. Rumors here and elsewhere have her leaving late next year; possibly Mercury, as well. It'll take me more time to adjust to the idea of losing them.
Such a shame to get rid of two of my favorite ships, reducing the X fleet even more in spite of the new ships coming in. Doesn't make sense to me.
We are booked on Galaxy to the S. Carib next Jan. before the dry dock, but not worried about her condition. We wanted to book Galaxy to the Med, but waited too long. Just today we booked Summit to the Med. for 6/3/09. We're not worried about her condition, either. We've sailed both before and loved them. These next two cruises will give us 10 in 7 1/2 yrs--making up for lost time since we didn't start till Jan. '02.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour 2/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal 6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords
1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ
1/09 Galaxy S. Carib 6/3/09 Summit Classical Med.