Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

According to Norms standards you would not be allowed to leave your cabin unless you were in formal attire.
Bob
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Familiar Face

Careful, Judy, you don't want to go to CRUISE JAIL!!!!!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Bob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke
According to Norms standards you would not be allowed to leave your cabin unless you were in formal attire.
That is, quite simply, false. Celebrity does have "designated casual areas" where proper evening dress is neither required nor expected. Aboard the ships of the Millennium class, these areas include the buffet area (which offers "Alternative Casual Dining" and with pizza, pasta, and sushi bars rather than a buffet) the bar on the weatherdeck aft of the buffet area (which has a musician at least in warmer climes), the pool area (where the grill remains open until 7:00 PM), the magrodome (where the "Aquaspa Cafe" offers plated spa meals), and the spa and fitness center. Aboard MV Galaxy and MV Mercury, these areas include the "winter garden" aft of the buffet area (which has a pizza and pasta bar and a musician), the buffet area (which offers "Alternative Casual Dining" and a sushi bar rather than a buffet), the pool area, and the spa and fitness center. One reasonably expects that passengers going to and from these areas will be dressed casually in the passageways, ladderways, and lifts.

I'll grant you that options for "Alternative Casual Entertainment" are quite limited.

But why on earth would you book a cruise on a line on which dressing for the evening is expected if you don't want to do so? As I pointed out in an earlier post, there are viable alternatives!

Norm.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
Familiar Face

I think we are going in circles here and we are starting to repeat ourselves! There ARE other reasons for choosing a cruiseline. It could be that Celebrity fits someone's criteria in every way BUT formal dress. You happen to put the emphasis on the Formal, but that is not the case for each and every pax.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
First Mate

Norm,for the record Iam in total agreement with your position as before. Am. going to black and white wedding in two weeks and would not even consider appearing in less than a dark suit and will probably wear my formal We will be going on 49 day cruise on new Carnival Splendor next Jan and with their new dress code it will be interesting to see what happens on the formal nites which now allow slacks and sport shirts.My guess will be that since most of these cruisers have numerous cruises they will continue to dress accordinglyKeep up your excellent comments.
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Norm,
The question was about changing to casual wear AFTER dinner not for dinner.
Bob
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum
Norm,for the record Iam in total agreement with your position as before. Am. going to black and white wedding in two weeks and would not even consider appearing in less than a dark suit and will probably wear my formal We will be going on 49 day cruise on new Carnival Splendor next Jan and with their new dress code it will be interesting to see what happens on the formal nites which now allow slacks and sport shirts.My guess will be that since most of these cruisers have numerous cruises they will continue to dress accordinglyKeep up your excellent comments.
Tennisbum,
If you disagree with Carnivals dress code why would you book a cruise on that cruise line ???
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Bob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm,
The question was about changing to casual wear AFTER dinner not for dinner.
Yes.

The company's stated policy, as stated in Celebrity Today aboard all of the line's ships:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebrity Cruises
The prescribed evening attire is required throughout the ship, except in designated casual areas, after 6:00 PM.
(boldface in original)

So what part of that don't you understand?

Norm.
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ok Norm,
You win, you've worn me down !!!!
Bob
Old April 25th, 2008, 09:59 AM
First Mate

My point being that most people will be dressing in appropriate attire on the formal evenings. As for why choosing Carnival just because it is brand new ship with pricing which is very competitive to any other line.
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Beginner

Default dress code doesn't fit everyone

My wife and I are going on a Celebrity cruise to Alaska in May. Having read all of the posts regarding the dress code I thought I would throw my two cents in.

The dress code is dated, like 30 years before I was born dated. Most women do not wear dresses or skirts on a regular basis, so having 'gender norm' type dress codes looks quite silly. I will be wearing the same outfit I wore to get married two years ago on 'formal' nights, a tuxedo! My wife will be wearing a suit and tie. We likely won't be going to many of the 'formal' events because we plan to be exploring the Alaskan port cities and surroundings, which is the whole point of going on a cruise right? As much as we enjoy getting dressed up, being comfortable is also important and I nor my wife would never be comfortable in a dress or skirt.

I think the dressy outfit post was right on. I have been to many formal events, including weddings, charity events, and conventions with formal events and a dressy outfit with the 'sparkly top and dark/black dress pants and shoes' was always acceptable.
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Passenger

Default Cruise Lines' Dress Codes

Although I am a 'beginner' on this message board, I am a somewhat seasoned cruiser with a total of 55+, 36 of which have been with Celebrity. When I first started cruising back in 1990, I did a lot of research to find the perfect cruise line that would fit my desires and expectations, as well as my pocketbook. Celebrity was the ONLY clear choice at that time. I WANTED to really dress up on formal nights and also be somewhat dressy the rest of the evenings. However, after 35-40 cruises and getting considerably older, some of my priorities have changed over the years. Now, when I think about booking a cruise, first I decide how I want to dress on that cruise. If I want to dress up, then I book with Celebrity or Princess. If I want to be more casual, then I look to Carnival, Norwegian or RCCL. Most of my recent cruises the last 3-4 years have been of a more casual nature; however, I have already booked a cruise in January on the Solstice and I'm already looking for new formal wear for the week. I realize this subject is very touchy to some and everyone has a right to their own opinion....... and I certainly have no desire to offend anyone. But I admit to being a stickler for social protocol. If a dress code is listed for an event, be it on a cruise ship, a wedding, a cocktail party, or what have you, I feel it is disrespectful to the host to dress otherwise. The atmosphere of a ship, particularly in the evening, is extremely important to me. If the evening's dress code for the majority of the areas onboard is supposed to be formal, then that is the type of atmosphere I want to experience. I would never intentionally go somewhere when I knew I was not dressed appropriately. I honestly don't understand why this is such a controversial issue. To me, it's quite simple: Choose a line/ship that fits how you want to dress. That really should make EVERYONE happy. Just my two cents worth.
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM
First Mate

Because everyone interprets the definition of "formal wear" differently. Even Celebrity doesn't give good direction on this. On the Daily paper on the ship, it says for ladies on formal night "Dressy Outfit". Now, that can be interpreted many different ways. Here is a copy.

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=4420

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise Lines' Dress Codes

pbparker,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Although I am a 'beginner' on this message board, I am a somewhat seasoned cruiser with a total of 55+, 36 of which have been with Celebrity. When I first started cruising back in 1990, I did a lot of research to find the perfect cruise line that would fit my desires and expectations, as well as my pocketbook. Celebrity was the ONLY clear choice at that time. I WANTED to really dress up on formal nights and also be somewhat dressy the rest of the evenings. However, after 35-40 cruises and getting considerably older, some of my priorities have changed over the years. Now, when I think about booking a cruise, first I decide how I want to dress on that cruise. If I want to dress up, then I book with Celebrity or Princess. If I want to be more casual, then I look to Carnival, Norwegian or RCCL. Most of my recent cruises the last 3-4 years have been of a more casual nature; however, I have already booked a cruise in January on the Solstice and I'm already looking for new formal wear for the week. I realize this subject is very touchy to some and everyone has a right to their own opinion....... and I certainly have no desire to offend anyone. But I admit to being a stickler for social protocol. If a dress code is listed for an event, be it on a cruise ship, a wedding, a cocktail party, or what have you, I feel it is disrespectful to the host to dress otherwise. The atmosphere of a ship, particularly in the evening, is extremely important to me. If the evening's dress code for the majority of the areas onboard is supposed to be formal, then that is the type of atmosphere I want to experience. I would never intentionally go somewhere when I knew I was not dressed appropriately. I honestly don't understand why this is such a controversial issue. To me, it's quite simple: Choose a line/ship that fits how you want to dress. That really should make EVERYONE happy. Just my two cents worth.
Right on! In fact, this bears repeating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
(boldface added)

Norm.
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Captain

Haven't posted in awhile but this subject always gets me! :-) Hi, Norm!

I like the words social protocol ALOT! I think that speaks volumes and I've always said how hard is it to put clothes on???

When I was working in an office jeans to work started to be an issue I told the gals if I put on a pair of black slacks, or khaki pants, one leg at a time, no different than jeans, what is the big deal?

I attribute it some to what I call the casualization of America, no one dresses up anymore. I've seen ridiculous attire at school functions, church, weddings, etc.! It doesn't surprise me that people don't get (or want to understand) formal attire (and not changing 2 minutes after dinner)!

I don't dress up as much as some of the ladies but I do where an outfit that is definitely quite dressy. If I were traveling with a partner, I would expect them to do the same for the whole evening.
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Susan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Haven't posted in awhile but this subject always gets me! :-) Hi, Norm!
Howdy, Susan! Long time, no hear-from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I like the words social protocol ALOT! I think that speaks volumes and I've always said how hard is it to put clothes on???

When I was working in an office jeans to work started to be an issue I told the gals if I put on a pair of black slacks, or khaki pants, one leg at a time, no different than jeans, what is the big deal?

I attribute it some to what I call the casualization of America, no one dresses up anymore. I've seen ridiculous attire at school functions, church, weddings, etc.! It doesn't surprise me that people don't get (or want to understand) formal attire (and not changing 2 minutes after dinner)!

I don't dress up as much as some of the ladies but I do where an outfit that is definitely quite dressy. If I were traveling with a partner, I would expect them to do the same for the whole evening.
Yes, I agree completely!

Norm.
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Admiral

matey,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I think we are going in circles here and we are starting to repeat ourselves! There ARE other reasons for choosing a cruiseline. It could be that Celebrity fits someone's criteria in every way BUT formal dress. You happen to put the emphasis on the Formal, but that is not the case for each and every pax.
And in this age of diversity, do you suppose that there might be another cruise line that "fits someone's criteria in every way" including the absence of formal dress?

Or do you think it unreasonable to suggest that somebody should investigate that possibility?

Norm.
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Familiar Face

Norm, of course, I have to answer you! Yes, I acknowledge that it is wise to investigate all possibilities. But, by the same token, you should acknowledge, that having investigated, it is possible to decide that Celebrity has unique features that are appealing, other than the dress code.
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Captain

Oh, my gosh, not working anymore, typing fast and not being a good proof reader, geesh!

I think I can blame the lap top keyboard, too, long fingers and not enough space!!! :-)

I do know the difference between wear and where!!! Can I edit this long after the fact???
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Beginner

Default Dressing down after the formal night

Hi,

We've been on many cruises....and I always want to get out of my pany hose and high heels.....and I do....we've cruised on RC 3 times and NCL twice and I've always changed. So, I don't see a problem. I'll be going for a 16 day cruise on the Galaxy (Celebrity) and there are 3 formal nights! You better believe I'll be changing!
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Dressing down after the formal night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boita9
Hi,

We've been on many cruises....and I always want to get out of my pany hose and high heels.....and I do....we've cruised on RC 3 times and NCL twice and I've always changed. So, I don't see a problem. I'll be going for a 16 day cruise on the Galaxy (Celebrity) and there are 3 formal nights! You better believe I'll be changing!
We will be on your cruise! My clothes are laid out and I know I am taking too much! I'll see what I can eliminate. See you on board! I don't know if I am allowed to say this, but at Cruise Critic there are many posters and you can sign up for the gathering on the ship.
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Beginner

Default Too funny

That's really weird! Out of all the cruises....yea, but it's 16 days....I took one that long to the Panama Canal and actually ran out of clothes. The way I look at it now...no one knows me...who cares if I wear the same thing! I'll never see these people again...why be self conscious....guess I'm getting old!

I'll be coming from the San Francisco area flying to Miami....are you from the US?
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Captain

Default Re: Dressing down on Formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWolsten
My husband and I enjoy formal night, however we both like to change into something more comfortable after dinner. Nice pair of capris and blouse for me and shorts and button down shirt for him. Does Celebrity allow you in the theater, lounges, etc if you are dressed like that on formal night?

I am not asking for the Formal Police to read me the riot act, just some straight answers , Thanks
Unbelievable!!!! This was the original post of this thread on April 5th. and look where it's gone. Dress like a civilized person and get on with cruising.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:11 AM
Admiral

matey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm, of course, I have to answer you! Yes, I acknowledge that it is wise to investigate all possibilities. But, by the same token, you should acknowledge, that having investigated, it is possible to decide that Celebrity has unique features that are appealing, other than the dress code.
That does not alter the fact that, FBOW, the cruise line's dress code is part of the package on any cruise line.

Norm.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdenv24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWolsten
My husband and I enjoy formal night, however we both like to change into something more comfortable after dinner. Nice pair of capris and blouse for me and shorts and button down shirt for him. Does Celebrity allow you in the theater, lounges, etc if you are dressed like that on formal night?

I am not asking for the Formal Police to read me the riot act, just some straight answers , Thanks
Unbelievable!!!! This was the original post of this thread on April 5th. and look where it's gone. Dress like a civilized person and get on with cruising.

THANKYOU!!!!!! The OP isn't even about what to wear to formal dinner but rather about changing into something decent but comfortable for the rest of the evening .
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Passenger

Default Dressing Down On Formal Night

This thread is why I have such affection for my golf course and country club.

We have rules about many things and they are enforced. We all know and accept and have a great time with folks who also understand.

No one has a gun to our head, we willingly sign up and pay $ and sign that we accept the current rules and the protocol to change the rules in the future.

So, Celebrity - When I purchase a product offering - I expect to get that product offering albeit with some latitude for the unexpected.

I lost respect for Celebrity on my last cruise when my late sitting reservation was changed to early - so that the 2nd floor dining area could be taken over by a large religious group. Celebrity has not had my business since.

The bottom line is that many businesses are trying to be "all things to all people" and that creates confusion in product offering and a "by the seat of your pants" experience - whether a cruise, a restaurant etc.

Our society is actively "rushing to the bottom" with ever lower standards for everything - Mediocracy rules. It is how it is and nothing with change the trajectory of our culture.

Celebrity can't win if they "offend" the ever growing % of people who want to do their own thing.

So, take your business elsewhere where the cruise experience is MORE CONSISTENTLY delivered

Happy Sailing
ABoatNerd
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Susan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Oh, my gosh, not working anymore, typing fast and not being a good proof reader, geesh!

I think I can blame the lap top keyboard, too, long fingers and not enough space!!! :-)

I do know the difference between wear and where!!! Can I edit this long after the fact???
Sure, editing your post is quite easy on this board, even if others have responded! Just click the "Edit" button at the right side of the orange bar at the top of the post that you wish to edit. The edit window will appear, with your post all set for editing.

You also can click the "X" button next to the "Edit" button to delete a post.

Norm.
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Admiral

kd,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
THANKYOU!!!!!! The OP isn't even about what to wear to formal dinner but rather about changing into something decent but comfortable for the rest of the evening .
Yes, and the wrangling has been between those who follow the rules and those who disregard the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the ''Celebrity Today'' Bulletin, Celebrity Cruises
The evening dress code is required throughout the ship, except designated casual areas, after 6:00 PM.
That should be the end of discussion on the matter. Alas, for some, it apparently is not.

Norm.
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:41 PM
First Mate

Here's the answer I got when I e-mailed Celebrity. Right or wrong, it's Celebrity's answer to my question.

Quote:
Dear Ms. XXXX,

Thank you for your e-mail. We are happy to assist.

Please note that our dress codes are recommendations and not requirements, however, dress slacks are perfectly acceptable for formal night.

At no time, is a guest turned away from the dining room because of their attire unless they are wearing shorts or a swimming suit.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Constance Wood
Customer Service Representative

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06