Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 113
Default Dressing down on Formal nights

My husband and I enjoy formal night, however we both like to change into something more comfortable after dinner. Nice pair of capris and blouse for me and shorts and button down shirt for him. Does Celebrity allow you in the theater, lounges, etc if you are dressed like that on formal night?

I am not asking for the Formal Police to read me the riot act, just some straight answers , Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:11 AM
jacdenv24's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bobcaygeon, Ontario
Posts: 643
Default

We've done 5 Celebrity cruises and IMHO I wouldn't recommend shorts or capris after dinner on a formal night. Everyone tends to remain "formal" for the entire evening, although I doubt you'd be refused entry to any venues if you chose to dress down. But you might feel a little out of place. My husband often removes his tie after dinner-that keeps him happy!
__________________
Oceanus 1987
Splendor of the Seas 1997
Regal Empress 1998
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010


Celebrity Silhouette
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:55 AM
jacdenv24's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bobcaygeon, Ontario
Posts: 643
Default

It just occured to me that some folks don't care to dress up at all and eat in the buffet on formal nights, so those people are going to be dressed casually anyhow!
__________________
Oceanus 1987
Splendor of the Seas 1997
Regal Empress 1998
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010


Celebrity Silhouette
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 364
Default Re: Dressing down on Formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWolsten
My husband and I enjoy formal night, however we both like to change into something more comfortable after dinner. Nice pair of capris and blouse for me and shorts and button down shirt for him. Does Celebrity allow you in the theater, lounges, etc if you are dressed like that on formal night?

I am not asking for the Formal Police to read me the riot act, just some straight answers , Thanks
I always like to change after formal dinner also. This will be my first Celebrity cruise and I have been getting quite a few different opinions. But, my friends who have cruised Celebrity before, have told me not to worry. I will assess the situation at the time and go from there. If I see somebody in shorts or capris, I'll certainly change my clothes, but if NOBODY is, I guess I'll stay in my formal clothes.

When I e-mailed Celebrity about formal night clothing, this is what they said:

Quote:
Please note that our dress code are recommendations and not requirements, however, dress slacks are perfectly acceptable for formal night.

At no time, is a guest turned away from the dining room because of their attire unless they are wearing shorts or a swimming suit.
__________________
Judy

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,088
Default Re: Dressing down on Formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWolsten
My husband and I enjoy formal night, however we both like to change into something more comfortable after dinner. Nice pair of capris and blouse for me and shorts and button down shirt for him. Does Celebrity allow you in the theater, lounges, etc if you are dressed like that on formal night?

I am not asking for the Formal Police to read me the riot act, just some straight answers , Thanks
The basic problem is that Celebrity is not consistent with their enforcement. I have seen people not allowed in theater, lounges, etc but also seen them allowed in at other times and other ships. Celebrity should either enforce their rules or get rid of them. Chances are you will be fine..

Don
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 6th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,088
Default Re: Dressing down on Formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWolsten
My husband and I enjoy formal night, however we both like to change into something more comfortable after dinner. Nice pair of capris and blouse for me and shorts and button down shirt for him. Does Celebrity allow you in the theater, lounges, etc if you are dressed like that on formal night?

I am not asking for the Formal Police to read me the riot act, just some straight answers , Thanks
I always like to change after formal dinner also. This will be my first Celebrity cruise and I have been getting quite a few different opinions. But, my friends who have cruised Celebrity before, have told me not to worry. I will assess the situation at the time and go from there. If I see somebody in shorts or capris, I'll certainly change my clothes, but if NOBODY is, I guess I'll stay in my formal clothes.

When I e-mailed Celebrity about formal night clothing, this is what they said:

Quote:
Please note that our dress code are recommendations and not requirements, however, dress slacks are perfectly acceptable for formal night.

At no time, is a guest turned away from the dining room because of their attire unless they are wearing shorts or a swimming suit.
Judy:

Celebrity should also get all their employees on the same page. Someone posted on another board a couple of days ago a copy of the Celebrity daily from a recent cruise which said the dress code was required.

Don
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 6th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 364
Default Re: Dressing down on Formal nights

[/quote]
Quote:
Judy:

Celebrity should also get all their employees on the same page. Someone posted on another board a couple of days ago a copy of the Celebrity daily from a recent cruise which said the dress code was required.

Don
[/quote]

Don, I did see that on the other board. So, I'm just going to go with the wait and see attitude and if other people are changing, I will too. If not, I won't. They are also saying that the Solstice is going to be different with the dress code, but who knows until it sails.
__________________
Judy

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 6th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 271
Default

If you really want to dress down look at Carnival,s new policy where you do not even need a coat on what they now call Ellegant Casual and now permit both jeans and shorts in dining room and also baseball caps on casual nites.Let,s hope that both Holland and Celebrity will keep some semblance of dress codes. Am affraid that they will follow the leader and join NC as Walmart and Applebys type diningWith ball caps etc What is next? Am sure glad that I had the opportunity of fine dining and well dressed cruisers of the past.
__________________
Carnival Splendor sailing Jan. 31 2009 All 3 legs 49 days
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 6th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 364
Default

Ok, I have a question for those who follow the dress code.

Do you also follow the dress code that Celebrity has for port wear, or do you only follow the dress code for on board the ship?

I see port wear for women is a dress, skirt & blouse, or a pants outfit. No mention of shorts for women.

I'm just curious.
__________________
Judy

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 224
Default

On my last two cruises, I did follow Celebrity's idea of port dress. Of course we were in Europe and included visiting churches and museums as part of our excursions.
__________________
CARIBBEAN
Zenith-6/92, 6/93
Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Girl
Ok, I have a question for those who follow the dress code.

Do you also follow the dress code that Celebrity has for port wear, or do you only follow the dress code for on board the ship?

I see port wear for women is a dress, skirt & blouse, or a pants outfit. No mention of shorts for women.

I'm just curious.
While in port, we wear what is appropriate for the activity. If we are in a city, we do not wear shorts. If we are on a Caribbean Island, it would be too hot for anything else. By the way, we wear Bermuda length, not short shorts, except over a bathing suit.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 76
Default Re: Dressing down on Formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWolsten
My husband and I enjoy formal night, however we both like to change into something more comfortable after dinner. Nice pair of capris and blouse for me and shorts and button down shirt for him. Does Celebrity allow you in the theater, lounges, etc if you are dressed like that on formal night?

I am not asking for the Formal Police to read me the riot act, just some straight answers , Thanks
The straight answer is that as long as you don't stick out as a slob, you most likely will be allowed in.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 364
Default

Thank you for answering my question.
__________________
Judy

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default Re: Dressing down on Formal nights

CWolsten,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My husband and I enjoy formal night, however we both like to change into something more comfortable after dinner. Nice pair of capris and blouse for me and shorts and button down shirt for him. Does Celebrity allow you in the theater, lounges, etc if you are dressed like that on formal night?

I am not asking for the Formal Police to read me the riot act, just some straight answers , Thanks
I also have seen Celebrity's staff turn passengers who had "dressed down" after dinner away from the theater on "formal" evenings, though not on every cruise.

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

jacdenv24,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
It just occured to me that some folks don't care to dress up at all and eat in the buffet on formal nights, so those people are going to be dressed casually anyhow!
The stated policy aboard Celebrity's ships is that "The prescribed evening attire applies throughout the ship, except designated casual areas, after 6:00 PM." The "designated casual areas" seem the buffet restaurant, the pizza and pasta bar, the pool areas, the fitness center, etc., and positively do not include, the theater, the casino, or any of the lounges on the lower decks.

Celebrity does not offer a dinner buffet, though there is "Alternative Casual Dining" (with full table service, a different menu than the main dining room, and a service charge of $2.00 per passenger per night) in part of the seating area for the buffet restaurant. Nonetheless, Celebrity's options for "alternative casual entertainment" are pretty limited. The ships of the Millennium class have a musician on the open deck aft of the buffet area while MV Galaxy and MV Mercury have a musician in the Magrodome. Of course, there's always the television in one's cabin....

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default Re: Dressing down on Formal nights

Irish Girl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
When I e-mailed Celebrity about formal night clothing, this is what they said:

Quote:
Please note that our dress code are recommendations and not requirements, however, dress slacks are perfectly acceptable for formal night.

At no time, is a guest turned away from the dining room because of their attire unless they are wearing shorts or a swimming suit.
I should forwarn you that the Celebrity's "customer service" staff have a longstanding reputation for giving out information that ranges from imprecise to totally wrong, and this case is no exception. I personally have watched staff stationed at the entrances to the Celebrity Theater turn away passengers who had "dressed down" after dinner on "formal" evenings.

That said, the norms of social etiquette dictate that "recommended" or "requested" or "suggested" dress for a social event is never optional. Rather, guests at a social event are expected to wear the attire that the host or hostess prescribes, and failure to do so is a direct insult to the host (on a cruise ship, the master of the vessel) and the other guests (passengers) who attend the event.

Except on the four-night and five-night Caribbean cruises, Celebrity tends to draw a cadre of decidedly "upper middle class" passengers who not only conform to the dress code and other aspects of traditional social etiquette, but also expect their fellow travellers to do so. If you really want to "dress down" after dinner, a "mainstream" line would be a much better choice. If you "dress down" on a "formal" night and find that other passengers are avoiding you, it's precisely because you have offended them.

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

Irish Girl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Ok, I have a question for those who follow the dress code.

Do you also follow the dress code that Celebrity has for port wear, or do you only follow the dress code for on board the ship?

I see port wear for women is a dress, skirt & blouse, or a pants outfit. No mention of shorts for women.

I'm just curious.
I generally follow the suggested dress code when in port, too, unless I'm going to engage in an activity that makes deviation appropriate.

Of course, the suggested dress code in port probably varies by cruising region.

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 364
Default Re: Dressing down on Formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Irish Girl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
When I e-mailed Celebrity about formal night clothing, this is what they said:

Quote:
Please note that our dress code are recommendations and not requirements, however, dress slacks are perfectly acceptable for formal night.

At no time, is a guest turned away from the dining room because of their attire unless they are wearing shorts or a swimming suit.
I should forwarn you that the Celebrity's "customer service" staff have a longstanding reputation for giving out information that ranges from imprecise to totally wrong, and this case is no exception. I personally have watched staff stationed at the entrances to the Celebrity Theater turn away passengers who had "dressed down" after dinner on "formal" evenings.

That said, the norms of social etiquette dictate that "recommended" or "requested" or "suggested" dress for a social event is never optional. Rather, guests at a social event are expected to wear the attire that the host or hostess prescribes, and failure to do so is a direct insult to the host (on a cruise ship, the master of the vessel) and the other guests (passengers) who attend the event.

Except on the four-night and five-night Caribbean cruises, Celebrity tends to draw a cadre of decidedly "upper middle class" passengers who not only conform to the dress code and other aspects of traditional social etiquette, but also expect their fellow travellers to do so. If you really want to "dress down" after dinner, a "mainstream" line would be a much better choice. If you "dress down" on a "formal" night and find that other passengers are avoiding you, it's precisely because you have offended them.

Norm.
I dress according to the suggested dress code for formal night. I can't imagine women not wearing shorts on a caribbean cruise. I know I'll be wearing shorts in port no matter what the dress code says.

I've been told by many of my friends that cruise Celebrity that I'll be fine with what I usually wear on cruises.
__________________
Judy

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 202
Default

I use the alternative casual dining so I don't have to dress formally for dinner. I have never had a problem or using any of the entertainment venues after dinner wearing just a pair of black slacks and a pretty blouse. Nor have I ever felt out of place. I might feel a little funny being really dressed down like in jeans, but that's just me, I have seen people do it.

If they're going to offer casual dining alternatives, then they have to expect that people using those alternatives are going to filter to other areas of the ship after dinner.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruise99
I use the alternative casual dining so I don't have to dress formally for dinner. I have never had a problem or using any of the entertainment venues after dinner wearing just a pair of black slacks and a pretty blouse. Nor have I ever felt out of place. I might feel a little funny being really dressed down like in jeans, but that's just me, I have seen people do it.

If they're going to offer casual dining alternatives, then they have to expect that people using those alternatives are going to filter to other areas of the ship after dinner.
I agree with your last paragraph. I don't understand how anyone can expect the pax to hide after dinner. To me, this is the most unreasonable of all.
By the way, we dress for second seating and remain that way, not because it is required, but because we would never bother to change!
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20
Default Re: Dressing down on Formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Irish Girl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
When I e-mailed Celebrity about formal night clothing, this is what they said:

Quote:
Please note that our dress code are recommendations and not requirements, however, dress slacks are perfectly acceptable for formal night.

At no time, is a guest turned away from the dining room because of their attire unless they are wearing shorts or a swimming suit.
I should forwarn you that the Celebrity's "customer service" staff have a longstanding reputation for giving out information that ranges from imprecise to totally wrong, and this case is no exception. I personally have watched staff stationed at the entrances to the Celebrity Theater turn away passengers who had "dressed down" after dinner on "formal" evenings.

That said, the norms of social etiquette dictate that "recommended" or "requested" or "suggested" dress for a social event is never optional. Rather, guests at a social event are expected to wear the attire that the host or hostess prescribes, and failure to do so is a direct insult to the host (on a cruise ship, the master of the vessel) and the other guests (passengers) who attend the event.

Except on the four-night and five-night Caribbean cruises, Celebrity tends to draw a cadre of decidedly "upper middle class" passengers who not only conform to the dress code and other aspects of traditional social etiquette, but also expect their fellow travellers to do so. If you really want to "dress down" after dinner, a "mainstream" line would be a much better choice. If you "dress down" on a "formal" night and find that other passengers are avoiding you, it's precisely because you have offended them.

Norm.
Norm:

Very well said and right on target. You are expected to remain in formal wear the entire evening and dress slacks are not acceptable in the main dining rooms on formal night. As you mentioned there are many cruise lines that offer a more casual dress for the entire cruise but on most premium cruise lines such as Celebrity, Princess and Holland America, formal nights are considered an important part of the cruise to most passengers.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,088
Default Re: Dressing down on Formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Irish Girl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
When I e-mailed Celebrity about formal night clothing, this is what they said:

Quote:
Please note that our dress code are recommendations and not requirements, however, dress slacks are perfectly acceptable for formal night.

At no time, is a guest turned away from the dining room because of their attire unless they are wearing shorts or a swimming suit.
I should forwarn you that the Celebrity's "customer service" staff have a longstanding reputation for giving out information that ranges from imprecise to totally wrong, and this case is no exception. I personally have watched staff stationed at the entrances to the Celebrity Theater turn away passengers who had "dressed down" after dinner on "formal" evenings.

That said, the norms of social etiquette dictate that "recommended" or "requested" or "suggested" dress for a social event is never optional. Rather, guests at a social event are expected to wear the attire that the host or hostess prescribes, and failure to do so is a direct insult to the host (on a cruise ship, the master of the vessel) and the other guests (passengers) who attend the event.

Except on the four-night and five-night Caribbean cruises, Celebrity tends to draw a cadre of decidedly "upper middle class" passengers who not only conform to the dress code and other aspects of traditional social etiquette, but also expect their fellow travellers to do so. If you really want to "dress down" after dinner, a "mainstream" line would be a much better choice. If you "dress down" on a "formal" night and find that other passengers are avoiding you, it's precisely because you have offended them.

Norm.
Norm:

Very well said and right on target. You are expected to remain in formal wear the entire evening and dress slacks are not acceptable in the main dining rooms on formal night. As you mentioned there are many cruise lines that offer a more casual dress for the entire cruise but on most premium cruise lines such as Celebrity, Princess and Holland America, formal nights are considered an important part of the cruise to most passengers.
Unfortunately, Norms comments are not reality on Celebrity ships anymore. They no longer enforce the dress code as they used to and as much as I would love to agree with him, I cannot at this time. Celebrity should not have dress codes if they are not willing to enforce them which they clearly are not. I agree with Norm's sentiments, I just wish Celebrity did.

Don
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 364
Default

Quite a few women don't wear dresses anymore and I am one of them,. There is nothing wrong with women in slacks as formal wear.
__________________
Judy

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13
Default

Personally I think "formal nights" are a ridiculous atempt to capture a taste of long ago, far more formal, cruising. I am looking forward to my Sept. Azamara cruise....no formal nights, casual only. But, on the other hand, if you are on a cruise that has formal nights I feel that changing into shorts after dinner is wrong. People do it, and they are not denied admission to shows or lounges, but simply out of respect for those passengers that enjoy a night out in their finest I would not change. There are a lot more casual and informal nights where you can dress down.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old April 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM
jacdenv24's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bobcaygeon, Ontario
Posts: 643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibobk
Personally I think "formal nights" are a ridiculous atempt to capture a taste of long ago, far more formal, cruising. I am looking forward to my Sept. Azamara cruise....no formal nights, casual only. But, on the other hand, if you are on a cruise that has formal nights I feel that changing into shorts after dinner is wrong. People do it, and they are not denied admission to shows or lounges, but simply out of respect for those passengers that enjoy a night out in their finest I would not change. There are a lot more casual and informal nights where you can dress down.
I personally enjoy formal nights! We are not social butterflies or country clubbers so never really get a chance to do formal. Nowdays, there are so many cruise lines offering so many options that there is surely something for everyone. If you don't want to go formal on any night then don't cruise Celebrity. Try Carnival or Princess or NCL where the dress code-if any-is much more relaxed. Two years ago we cruised Princess Sea and on formal night the elderly gentleman at the next table had a T-shirt on! not even a clean one-looked like he's worn it to the beach! I agree with Norm- it is an insult to your fellow passengers to not follow the "suggested " attire. If you're invited to a formal dinner you don't show up in jeans!
__________________
Oceanus 1987
Splendor of the Seas 1997
Regal Empress 1998
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010


Celebrity Silhouette
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

Judy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Quite a few women don't wear dresses anymore and I am one of them,. There is nothing wrong with women in slacks as formal wear.
Sorry, but I don't think you will find a manual of social etiquette anywhere that lists "slacks" as proper "formal" attire for either gents or ladies. Some cruise lines (Princess, for example) state explicitly that a formal pant suit is acceptable, but that type of outfit has a jacket that matches the pants.

If you can identify an authoritative manual of social etiquette that lists slacks as acceptable formalwear, I'll concede. By "authoritative," I mean a manual written by somebody who is acknowledged to be an expert in the field.

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 113
Default Dressing down on Formal nights

Gee Wiz ! I politely ask a question and specifically ask not to be read the riot act by the Formal Police, but, alas they cannot help themselves . But hey what elese is new.

We dress for dinner then after like to walk the deck between dinner and a show. After the show we like to walk the deck before popping into the Casino. We walk the deck before heading into a lounge. I don't enjoy it walking in heels or my husband in a suit. We live in the land of snow, freezing temps and ice for 6 months of the year and want to enjoy the outdoors and fresh air.

I want to sail Celebrity for personal and financial reasons.

When we dress down after dinner 80 % of the time we are better dressed than those we have just eaten with. My concern is not with my fellow passengers feelings . My question was how Celebrity handeled it. It sounds like they are not any different than RCCL.
Thanks to those who responded with straight answers and no lecture, I appreciate it.
I have searched their website and cannot find anything in writing stating dress codes for anywhere except the dining room.I have emailed Celebrity and waiting for their response and depending on what their response is I might reconsider my decesion.
We will sail Celebrity and dress down after dinner.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Judy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Quite a few women don't wear dresses anymore and I am one of them,. There is nothing wrong with women in slacks as formal wear.
Sorry, but I don't think you will find a manual of social etiquette anywhere that lists "slacks" as proper "formal" attire for either gents or ladies. Some cruise lines (Princess, for example) state explicitly that a formal pant suit is acceptable, but that type of outfit has a jacket that matches the pants.

If you can identify an authoritative manual of social etiquette that lists slacks as acceptable formalwear, I'll concede. By "authoritative," I mean a manual written by somebody who is acknowledged to be an expert in the field.

Norm.
Norm, it's just a cruise dinner, not a black tie affair. Next cruise, check how many women are wearing black slacks and a sparkly top. I haven't seen a women in a "pantsuit" since the 70's. Personally, I think Celebrity needs to update their recommended dress code and get into the 21st century.
__________________
Judy

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM
jacdenv24's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bobcaygeon, Ontario
Posts: 643
Default Re: Dressing down on Formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWolsten
Gee Wiz ! I politely ask a question and specifically ask not to be read the riot act by the Formal Police, but, alas they cannot help themselves . But hey what elese is new.

We dress for dinner then after like to walk the deck between dinner and a show. After the show we like to walk the deck before popping into the Casino. We walk the deck before heading into a lounge. I don't enjoy it walking in heels or my husband in a suit. We live in the land of snow, freezing temps and ice for 6 months of the year and want to enjoy the outdoors and fresh air.

I want to sail Celebrity for personal and financial reasons.

When we dress down after dinner 80 % of the time we are better dressed than those we have just eaten with. My concern is not with my fellow passengers feelings . My question was how Celebrity handeled it. It sounds like they are not any different than RCCL.
Thanks to those who responded with straight answers and no lecture, I appreciate it.
I have searched their website and cannot find anything in writing stating dress codes for anywhere except the dining room.I have emailed Celebrity and waiting for their response and depending on what their response is I might reconsider my decesion.
We will sail Celebrity and dress down after dinner.
Go for it!! Have a great cruise-I'll know you'll love Celebrity. Sometimes these topics get a little off course but I think everyone has good intentions and tries to offer contructive advice. That was my intention anyhow. And I know what you mean about living in the land of snow and ice-I still have snow on my patio! AARRGGG!!!!
__________________
Oceanus 1987
Splendor of the Seas 1997
Regal Empress 1998
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010


Celebrity Silhouette
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 271
Default

Norm,I am in complete agreement with your comments and I wonder how many of these cruisers would dress for a wedding after 6;00 pm. Have you looked at the most recent dress code on Carnival?THis will drive you up the wall as it did me and one can only hope that other lines do not follow.We are leaving on 49 day cruise on new Carnival Splendor arround SA and looking at the number of cruises taken by most it will be interesting to see how they look at this new dress code.
__________________
Carnival Splendor sailing Jan. 31 2009 All 3 legs 49 days
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
29, america, celebrity, cruise, cruising, dress, dressed, dressing, formal, holland, nights, oasis, oct, seas, seniors, silhouette, tuxedo, which

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NOT DRESSING FORMAL, CAN WE HAVE MAIN MEAL IN RM? shanicans Holland America 25 February 3rd, 2008 01:46 PM
How Formal is everyone dressing bluesky8130 Styles At Sea 15 December 1st, 2007 04:52 PM
Dressing for Formal Dinner mmmccrac Carnival Cruise Lines 2 June 19th, 2006 10:20 AM
Cross Dressing on formal nights Brenda and Brian Cruise Dress / Packing 6 January 6th, 2005 01:49 PM
How to avoid formal dressing BETTY Princess Cruise Lines 9 June 28th, 2004 11:23 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:25 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1