Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Default Celebrity revamps Smoking Policy

Celebrity has greatly overhauled their smoking Policy effective Oct. 1, no smoking in staterooms and greatly restricted throughout the rest of the ship. Here's the press release.

Don

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.z...247&highlight=
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Don, you are fast. This just came up in my newsreader.

Good idea I think!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow, sounds like Celebrity wants to lose business.
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

My DH is really mad and said no more Celebrity even though we are Elite members. He smokes only on the balcony, but they are stopping it in almost every place. Oh well the othr cruise lines will be getting out business now. I know there are a lot of you that don't smoke, but my DH is disabled, and this is about the only thing he really enjoyed, sitting on the balcony and having a cigarette and coffee or a night cap.
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fllady
My DH is really mad and said no more Celebrity even though we are Elite members. He smokes only on the balcony, but they are stopping it in almost every place. Oh well the othr cruise lines will be getting out business now.
Tell your DH that I am mad as h*ll too and I don't even sail Celebrity. I'm a HAL fan.

The problem is that once cruise lines start revamping their smoking policies, eventually all of them will fall into line and have pretty much the same policies. I've read on some message boards where HAL is taking surveys among passengers asking them if they would sail on a smoke-free ship and other questions concerning the smoking policies.

Unfortunately, I envision a time in the not too distant future when just about every cruise line will greatly restrict smoking onboard their ships. Perhaps they will a couple of outside areas where smoking will be allowed, but that will be it. No smoking will be permitted in cabins or on balconies.

I too don't like this because it is going to mean that I have to make a choice -- smoke or cruise ... and that's not fair.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Admiral

This just demonstrates that this IS an industry wide trend. It has not impacted bookings on the lines that have implemented it so others are following suit.

I will have to admit that I have sailed on Azamara, which has a restrictive smoking policy, and I was able to handle it quite well. As long as there is a reasonable alternative I personally have no problem with it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Passenger

Interesting enough Celebrity's other half Royal Caribbean changed their policy to no smoking in cabins but allowed it on balconies. As a smoker I can still sail my May 4th Mariner cruise without great concern since I don't smoke in cabin anyway. However no smoking on balcony either is just one step too many for me. As an Elite and Diamond member I will vote with my dollars instead of crying about it. Myself and several friends have decided that we will not book RCL ( couple reasons for that on top of smoking policy ) or Celebrity in future. I have no problem with lines decision, their business after all. Like businesses making decision on their own versus government legislating when and where.

If all lines follow like the non-leaders most are then that will present a major problem.
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruise99
Wow, sounds like Celebrity wants to lose business.
Yes, Celebrity will lose the business of a lot of smokers. And, for every smoker it loses, 3-4 non-smokers will move from other cruise lines that permit smoking to Celebrity.

This is a great day for Celebrity.
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:08 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

Maybe they will lose some business now, which I doubt. But you will see that all the mayor cruise lines will follow. It's a worldwide trend. It's just Royal C. and Celebrity had the guts, like they did with the fuel surcharge they give back to some bookings. The rest had to follow, and it'won't be different in this case.
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance
Mariner
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator (TA)
C.Dream
Solstice '10
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept '11
Brilliance '12
Mariner (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze '13
C.Conquest
Serenade TA
C.Sunshine '14
Indy
Vision

Oasis TA
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Passenger

Whether such bans remain will be primarily based on the good old bottom line, money. I live in toen not to far from Manhattan. The city and my County are the stricktest regarding smoking regulation. In example NY State law bans smoking in restaurants and bars but allows it in outside table areas. My County goes step further by making it an employee health issue. You cannot smoke even in an outside table area if that area is serviced in any way by an employee. Hence you cannot have waiter service or busboy service in an outer dining area. You can not even smoke in any vehicle registered to a business where smoking is prohibted.

The local government says there has been no drop in business. They base this on sales tax revenues not declining. Of course they raised the salestax. Who knows, all i know is that I used to go to me bar/restaurant 2 to 3 times per week. I dropped that to once per week. Then many customers spent more time chatting and smoking outside than drinking and eating. Bottom line my favorite place of 35 years closed. Owner simply said no longer worth it between taxes and loss of business.

I certainly still go to restaurants. The difference is that I spend much less there which is good for me. I don't have a before dinner drink nor do I have dessert or linger over coffee. That change in habit for restaurants/bars is costly.

The big difference to me is that in NY and many places the government has dictated to the business owner. If the business owner said they didn't wish smoking and felt his business was better for it that is all well and good. Since the cruiselines are making a business decision no problem. As I said when I started. bottom line will rule which is how it should be.

In meantime government throws all kinds of stats out on what smokers cost medical system but never mention that alcohol. obesity, and many others things cost system even more.

Such regulation also makes it hard to argue against legislation concerning other similar areas like perfume wearing, eating poorly etc. Before you say baloney best take a look at how NY now legislates cooking with fats. Or lawsuits to ban perfume and such in the workplace.

One mans pleasure is anothers harmful to others intolerable act.
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Passenger

Case in point. Fox News reports..

A new lawsuit may mean you might need to bypass that spray of Chanel No. 5 — and your other favorite scented products — before you head off to work.

Detroit city employee Susan McBride has filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court in Detroit claiming her work environment violates the Americans with Disabilities Act. McBride says that the perfume of a co-worker made her ill causing her to miss work and seek medical treatment.

McBride is seeking a ban on scented products at work as
well as damages

AND SOME REPLY POSTINGS

"Yes, there absolutely needs to be a ban on perfumes and strong scents in the work place. Many people are extremely sensitive to and react severely with asthma and allergic reactions to the chemicals in these scents. It is discrimination against a person who has chemical sensitivities when an employer allows the use of strong scents in the workplace. These scents, which are really chemicals, can be life threatening to the asthmatic and allergic." — C.

"Absolutely! Unwanted aromas should be strictly prohibited. They should not even be sold for that matter." — D.

"Let me assure you that this is not a matter of 'getting along.' These allergic reactions to perfume are very real for people like myself and my family. When I'm around perfume or the cleaning aisle at the grocery store, I sneeze, cough, eyes water and the smell of people's perfume lays on my tongue and believe it or not, I taste it all day long! It certainly can't be helped and why should I suffer all day long in an office when perfume is not a required necessity, like clothing?" — Pam

Sound familar?
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:09 PM
First Mate

Get used to it folks. I'm sorry if the ruling offends you but smoking bans and restrictions will continue and all lines are likely to be affected. For myself, I agree with Coco Creek. For every smoker they lose, others wanting to breathe clean air will move to Celebrity. Instead of fighting it, why not take this as one more reason to quit! And as for the unfortunate man who is an invalid, he may learn to enjoy his cup of coffee on the balcony without the smoker's cough, COPD (chronic obsructive pulmonary disease) and other accompanying health problems.
We are obviously fans of Celebrity and this decision definitely clinches it.
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Admiral

I qiut smoking in june of 83. it was one of the best things I ever did.

For those who are heavy smokers you can allways go on Costa.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
Get used to it folks. I'm sorry if the ruling offends you but smoking bans and restrictions will continue and all lines are likely to be affected.
I'm not offended at all. The battle has been over more or less for some time now and we, smokers, lost. Me I'm moving on, starting nationwide movement to ban fat people from buffet lines because they use my health care. Old people from buffet lines, because I lose 3lbs waiting for them to shuffle along. Kids from cruise ships, well just because they are kids. I'll let the woman in Detroit rid civilized society of the stinky perfume and lotion people KILLING ME with their chemical laden bodies.

Yep the anti-smokers have triumphed. So who we doing next? Who has the rope?

Carnivals new blue jeans for dinner in dining room new definition of casual. Sport jacket recommended for formal though not required. Guess all the lines will follow.

Tongue in check don't go nuts on me now
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:18 AM
First Mate

Yep the anti-smokers have triumphed. So who we doing next? Who has the rope?

Let's hope that better health, consideration of others and good sense have triumphed. I understand your 'tongue in cheek' sarcasm, but hopefully with education we are all improving our understanding of health issues, environmental concerns, tolerance of people who are different from us etc. etc. Great lessons to learn on a cruise!

Wasn't the Princess fire started by someone flicking a cigarette from one balcony which landed on another? I suspect it all has very little to do with health or even the complaints of non-smokers, but more with cleaning and repair costs (ie. holes in carpets and furniture), and most importantly insurance costs for the cruiseline.
Old April 12th, 2008, 01:12 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Losing my dear mother to lung cancer (she smoked for over 60 uears !)
and growing up with her carrying around a stinky ashtray all day was
reason enough for me never to start. Personally, I am happy about
the smoking ban on Celebrity - when we were on the Summit in Jan. '07
- we had cigar smokers on either side of us - was very, very unpleasant.
I agree about some ladies and gents and the amount of fragrance they
use, however, what do we do about people whose natural body odor is strong
enough to turn one's stomach.
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Captain

A very touchy subject. We both smoked heavily but finally kicked the habit in 1988. I promised myself that I would be tolerant and non-judgemental of those who chose to smoke and that worked-for a while. Other peoples smoke didn't really bother me that much-just made me want a damn cigarette! But for the past 10 years we both find second-hand smoke unbearable. Maybe it's our age For that reason, I'm happy with Celebrity's decision-it is our cruiseline of choice. I really don't believe non-smokers want to trample on the rights of those who do smoke-I think it is a health and environmental issue. I had to laugh at georgeny's comments about banning overeaters, people who drink too much, old people, kids etc. I see his point but my health is not going to be affected by the 500 lb guy at the buffet, or the guy who gets tanked every night or the two obnoxious kids at my dinner table. Here in Ontario, they are introducing a law that forbids people to smoke in their own car if there are children present. I think it's already in force in some Maritime provinces. It's like everything else-there are considerate smokers who respect non-smokers and those who don't give a hoot about anyone else and unfortunately all smokers have to pay the price. But I'm sure there will always be plenty of ships who will allow smoking in some areas-after all, there is still a lot of smokers out there plus all those who don't but could care less who did and are not bothered by it.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Passenger

I'm really glad that there is no more smoking on the balcony. I'm not a smoker and my mom is really allergic to it so couldn't even sit on our balconies on past cruises because both sides of us had smokers who it seemed were ALWAYS out on their balcony so we couldn't be. Celebrity will get more of our business!
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Beginner

Sorry for the smokers, but this trend will spread to more cruise lines. With the high rates of lung and breast cancer and local governments putting more and more taxes on cigarettes, smoking is not in a favored position.

It is up to you to do the research before booking with a cruise line if you are a smoker.

The other side of the coin, it is no fun to pay for a balcony and not be able to sit on it and enjoy it because smoke is blowing in your face. Remember that the fire on a Princess ship was the result of an ember igniting. Princess immediately changed the materials used on their balconies to those that would not combust and installed other preventive measures.

You may not see it as such, but the stricter inforcement of where cruisers can smoke on board, makes it safer for everyone. No one wants to experience a fire at sea due to a smoker's cigarette or an ember. Safety is the primary issue here -- not being unfair to any one group or singling them out.

MARAPRINCE
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
Wasn't the Princess fire started by someone flicking a cigarette from one balcony which landed on another? .
I don't know that the cause was actually finally determined or not but it was the most likely scenario. Still the real problem was the materials used for balconies and the that no fire protection was considered in design.

Reality is that fire is the most serious concern onboard a ship for obvious reasons. The other reality is that most fires onboard ships are in the laundry, galley, and electrical systems.
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Passenger

I don't think the no smoking rule on balconies is going to fly. Outside smoke drifts away quickly and the smoker can simply deny that they were. There are no cameras on balconies and unless someone takes your picture while you are on your balcony they can never prove that you were. Smoke could have come from any balcony, and if someone did take your picture than those people would be in hot water for violating privacy rights. I can see it now, the smoking police running all over the ship trying to prove a person was smoking on their balcony. Inside the cabin is different, that can and should be enforced.
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:42 PM
First Mate

As Tysaunt and Maraprince have said, paying extra for a balcony and not being able to use it because of smoking neighbors is not fair either. Your smoke does not just drift out to sea. This is the primary reason we will not splurge for a blcony cabin again. Perhaps we will be able to enjoy a balcony again on Celebrity.

Are people really so dishonest or lacking in integrity that they would smoke on a non-smoking balcony and then tell bold face lies if they are caught? Sad to be so enslaved by a habit that you would do so.

BTW smokers on posts roll their eyes and make fun of the non-smokers who frantically wave their hands in front of them when passing smoke. It is not a dramatic, over-the-top manoever but rather an attempt to not choke or feel ill.
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Passenger

Just an additional rule breaker. People will continue to smuggle booze and smokers will continue to smoke on their balcony. That's not to say either is right.
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasail
Just an additional rule breaker. People will continue to smuggle booze and smokers will continue to smoke on their balcony. That's not to say either is right.
I have to disagree with sneakinga smoke on the balcony. The people who don't smoke can get very nasty if they get a wiff of smoke. I also have asthma so DH doesn't smoke in the cabin or in our home, but what is next, timed showers because we use too much water. I had a "future cruise" booked with Celebirty, and they wouldn't refund my money, so we are taking the only 2 day cruise they have, so we'll get the on board credit for the future cruise, also have stock in RCL, so another OBC, and my TA is also giving us some $$. We won't have to fly to get there, we live in S Florida and will drive down to Miami. As long as RCL lets him smoke on the balcony, fine, but if it comes down to it, we'll sell the stock and be done with them. And I have to agree, some of these ladies and their drowning themselves in perfume, almost strangle me I can't breathe, especially on the elevators!
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

On our May '07 cruise to Alaska on the Celebrity Summit my husband and I noticed a number of cigarette butts on top of the canopy covering of the suites that had been tossed out from the upper balconies. We reported our findings and later we filled out a survey about smoking policies. Our neighbor was a heavy smoker and it was very hard to sit out on our balcony or even leave our slider open which we love to do. Needless to say we are very pleased about the new policy and hope the other cruiselines follow suit. California has had stringent smoking bans for several years and the percentage of smokers has decreased. Celebrity has always been first class and is even more so now. Thank You Celebrity!
Old April 19th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Beginner

The structure of the Crown Princess ship's balconies is tiered meaning you can look down fully on the balconies directly below yours. It is a different configeration than most ships with balconies. So if the cabin below yours has someone who smokes on their balcony, it comes right up to yours. There is no escape from the smoke either from the balcony on either side of you.

What is the point of spending more money to get a balcony if you cannot enjoy the pure and fresh sea air? Once the smoke gets into your cabin, it has nowhere to go. The smell gets into the fabrics and stays there.

We had a cigar smoker on the deck below who sat on his balcony puffing away without any concern for those cabins around him. Several cabins on my deck complained about the smoke and called the Purser's Office to complain. One cabin even had the Purser go out on their balcony to experience the smoke first hand. When the smoker was confronted by the Purser, he tried to deny it but the Purser had witnessed it first hand. The passengers right above his cabin were ready to resort to what would have amounted to actions that would have gotten them put off the ship -- pouring water down on him as soon as he lit up! They could not sit out on their own balcony because his cigar smoke drifted up into their cabin and they had a 10-month old child with them.

Smoking is not only inconsiderate but poses more of a health risk to non smokers as second hand smoke. Anyone who has seen a close friend or relative dying of lung cancer who never was a smoker knows that the person was a victim of the environment. Smoking is air pollution. Smokers do not have the right to poision the environment of others.

Most ships have a dedicated cigar lounge. How many times have we had to rush through the Casino due to the heavy smoke. Or until smoking was eliminated from most lounges, non smokers never could enjoy the offerings presented there. These smoking areas were off limits to non smokers.

Congrats to Celebrity for taking this stand. Hopefully, it will spread over to RCI before the year is out.

MARAPRINCE
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:44 PM
Beginner

As a non-puffer, I really enjoyed the formerly Smoke Free Carnival Paradise.....which is now a smoking ship, which should tell us something.

We had always avoided balcony staterooms so as to spend the extra $$$ on shore excursion so I kind of dreaded it when DW decided to start getting balconies.

On our first balcony cruise, we had smokers on at least 2 sides of us and it wasn't too bad, but it made me wonder if there was a better way. Maybe make deck _____and above smoking.....or better yet, make one side of the ship smoking (then it might list to one side).

Smoking causes very heated debates, but there has to be a way to keep the majority happy.

Mike
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Captain

This also occured to me...why not have passengers request "smoking or non-smoking" like they do in hotels? Then, put the smokers on the port side (or maybe it's starboard?) where there are already designated smoking areas outside. What a brilliant idea Then all the non-smokers,including myself, can enjoy their balconies.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdenv24
This also occured to me...why not have passengers request "smoking or non-smoking" like they do in hotels? Then, put the smokers on the port side (or maybe it's starboard?) where there are already designated smoking areas outside. What a brilliant idea Then all the non-smokers,including myself, can enjoy their balconies.
Actually I believe many years ago NCL attempted smoking and non-smoking cabins but it was short lived. Problem is once you designate one side or deck you limit your ability as a manager to effectively book space. Easier with hotels because there is far less difference between room amenity and design than there is on ships. One cruise you might have need for 5 smoking Penthouse cabins but only 3 on smoking side, etc.

Better the way they are doing it, make cabin and balconies non-smoking entirely or leave it way it was. This way as a smoker I know not to book a Celebrity ship, I will leave those to the non smokers. I just returned from sailing RCL Mariners of Seas ( my review is on cruisemates ) and although it was a great cruise it was my last with RCL. Had two reasons, one a customer service decision on thier part I did not like, the other due to them making cabins non-smoking. On Mariner you can smoke on balcony and this was fine with me but since RCL is parent of Celebrity ( once my favorite ) and since they elected to ban smoking from cabin on RCL product as well I am voting with my dollar. No animousity, they wish to restrict smokers thier business thier right. I wish to sail lines with less restrictions my right, all is well with the world.

So we should all be happy. The line itself could care less, will be a dollar issue like everything else. If they find sales down due to smoking policies they will change back. If not they will continue. I do believe they will feel effect. As in my case, we sail with several couples often, some smoke some do not ( my wife does not ). However when you are booking 5 cabins smokers will not sail a non-smoking or overly restricted ship. Hence the entire group, non smokers included will not sail a restricted line. This is what happened to carnival Paradise in part. GROUP sales were down considerably. In meantime non-smokers did not make up the difference because they wanted to sail more than just one ship. Will it be the same when a whole line observes tighter controls on smoking? Who knows, didn't work for Regency I think it was. Three non-smoking ships, out of business I imagine for more reasons than smoking but non-smokers didn't flock to the line in droves to keep them afloat either.

Each to thier own, many ships out there.
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:52 PM
Passenger

[quote="georgeny"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdenv24
Will it be the same when a whole line observes tighter controls on smoking? Who knows, didn't work for Regency I think it was. Three non-smoking ships, out of business I imagine for more reasons than smoking but non-smokers didn't flock to the line in droves to keep them afloat either.

Each to thier own, many ships out there.
Or was it Renissance or some such?