Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Default Notes from Annual Meeting of Stockholders

Everybody,

Much to my surprise, the annual meeting of stockholders this morning was perhaps the smallest that I have ever attended. As a result, it provided an opportunity to speak personally with Mssrs. Fain and Hanrahan regarding the current plans and policies for Celebrity Cruises. Here are a few items that might be of interest regarding Celebrity Cruises.

>> 1. Mr. Hanrahan said that there are no current plans to transfer either MV Century or MV Mercury out of the Celebrity Cruises fleet.

>> 2. During a private conversation before the meeting, Mr. Hanrahan stated bluntly -- and without solicitation -- that the senior officers were aware of a need to improve internal communication and flow of information. The subject also came up during the meeting in the context of several questions asked by stockholders.

>> 3. Regarding the trashy decor of the Cirque du Soleil "decor" (?) in the disco/night club of GTS Constellation and GTS Summit, my "all the class of a freshly toilet papered college dorm romm" drew a good laughs. Mr. Hanrahan responded that he was not willing to take the hit for writing off the undepreciated cost on the company's balance sheet. He also said that removal of the crap will require a shipyard visit to repair the surfaces penetrated by the mounting fixtures.

>> 4. The officers indicated that construction of the first ship of the Solstice class is running a bit ahead of schedule, so there should be no disruption to the inaugural cruise. Of course, problems could still arise with six months to go....

Norm.
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Notes from Annual Meeting of Stockholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Everybody,

Much to my surprise, the annual meeting of stockholders this morning was perhaps the smallest that I have ever attended. As a result, it provided an opportunity to speak personally with Mssrs. Fain and Hanrahan regarding the current plans and policies for Celebrity Cruises. Here are a few items that might be of interest regarding Celebrity Cruises.

>> 1. Mr. Hanrahan said that there are no current plans to transfer either MV Century or MV Galaxy out of the Celebrity Cruises fleet.

>> 2. During a private conversation before the meeting, Mr. Hanrahan stated bluntly -- and without solicitation -- that the senior officers were aware of a need to improve internal communication and flow of information. The subject also came up during the meeting in the context of several questions asked by stockholders.

>> 3. Regarding the trashy decor of the Cirque du Soleil "decor" (?) in the disco/night club of GTS Constellation and GTS Summit, my "all the class of a freshly toilet papered college dorm romm" drew a good laughs. Mr. Hanrahan responded that he was not willing to take the hit for writing off the undepreciated cost on the company's balance sheet. He also said that removal of the crap will require a shipyard visit to repair the surfaces penetrated by the mounting fixtures.

>> 4. The officers indicated that construction of the first ship of the Solstice class is running a bit ahead of schedule, so there should be no disruption to the inaugural cruise. Of course, problems could still arise with six months to go....

Norm.
Norm:

Thanks for the info, one possible correction, did you mean Mercury would not be transferred since Galaxy has already been announced.

Also, here's a great picture of Solstice which is very recent...

Don

http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/31...600x600Q85.jpg
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Notes from Annual Meeting of Stockholders

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm:

Thanks for the info,...
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
... one possible correction, did you mean Mercury would not be transferred since Galaxy has already been announced.
Yes, great catch, and thank you for bringing this typo to my attention! I have corrected the OP.

Norm.
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Captain

Hard to believe that it would require dry dock to restore the "trashed bar at the edge of the earth"!!! I guess one can believe what they want to believe, but for me that one just does not fly at all. My opinion is that leaving that mess just the way that it is, with no attempt to make it at least look pleasant for all the passengers, is just another example of the lack of what I would call proper maintenance for any ship.

Just curious, but did all the people at the stockholders meeting get so much "personal" time with Fain and Hammerhand?

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Debra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hard to believe that it would require dry dock to restore the "trashed bar at the edge of the earth"!!! I guess one can believe what they want to believe, but for me that one just does not fly at all. My opinion is that leaving that mess just the way that it is, with no attempt to make it at least look pleasant for all the passengers, is just another example of the lack of what I would call proper maintenance for any ship.
Nobody said that it would require drydocking, but only that it would take a shipyard visit. There is a difference.

That said, there are several issues with the restoration.

>> 1. The biggest problem is that the anchors for the cables from which the draperies hang are pretty heavy duty, and they were bolted through the posts and bulkheads to which they were attached. If they were to remove the draperies, the bare cables would look bad. If they were to remove the cables, the anchors would look bad. If they were to remove the anchors, the bolt holes in the pillars and bulkheads would look bad. Thus, they have to replace the panels through which they drilled the holes. And if they replace only the panels through which they drilled the holes, the replacements might not match the adjacent panels, so they will have to replace all of the panels -- which basically means redoing the whole space. The work would take two or three weeks, at a cost that Mr. Hanrahan estimated to be tens of millions of dollars. Also, the space would look unsightly while it's in process so they can't do it while passengers are onboard.

>> 2. The secondary problem is that the upholstery under the seat covers and the original dance floor probably have become grimy with the covers on them. Thus, they will have to clean everything when they do the work.

Mr. Hanrahan also indicated that he is not prepared to take the financial hit for writing off the investment -- also tens of milliions of dollars -- in the trashy "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" decor until it's depreciated more fully.

There are three ways to deal with this, and I'm not sure which is best.

>> 1. We can instigate a major boycott of the two ships that still have the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" decor and perhaps some serious negative ratings for the decor of these two ships in the major cruise guides. If these two ships command half the fares of their sisters, you can be sure that somebody will do something to rectify he problem.

>> 2. We can instigate a boycott of the disco/lounges on these ships. If they lose money, as they did as the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth," somebody probably will find some motivation to fix the problem.

>> 3. Perhaps there's some way to ensure that the seat covers and draperies in these lounges start to show major signs of wear, such that the line really has to do something about them. If both experience similar problems at about the same time, they might conclude that there's really something wrong with the material that causes it to wear very quickly after a certain amount of use.

With the last option, though, one must be very careful not to do anything that could give rise to criminal charges or to banishment from the line. Thus, I'm seriously leaning away from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Just curious, but did all the people at the stockholders meeting get so much "personal" time with Fain and Hammerhand?
Pretty much, as the attendance was surprisingly small.

Norm.
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Captain

Norm: You just might be right; maybe for Celebrity, it does take a "shipyard visit" to perform basic ship maintenance that other cruise lines make on turn around days or while at sea! As for the low attendance at the RCI stockholder meeting, I can well understand that. I just wish I could have been there as I would have had some much more interesting questions for the two Celebrity "leaders"!!! Especially, since I have no fear of being banished from Celebrity ships.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old May 30th, 2008, 07:58 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
Norm: You just might be right; maybe for Celebrity, it does take a "shipyard visit" to perform basic ship maintenance that other cruise lines make on turn around days or while at sea! Debra
So now you're an expert on ship maintainance? Please explain why you think they can perform that maintainance while the ship is at sea.
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Debra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm: You just might be right; maybe for Celebrity, it does take a "shipyard visit" to perform basic ship maintenance that other cruise lines make on turn around days or while at sea!
Get real! There is not a cruise line in the world that would do a refurbishment of this magnitude while the ship is operating. We're basically talking about redecorating the whole lounge, including replacement of all paneling.

Norm.
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:52 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Debra,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm: You just might be right; maybe for Celebrity, it does take a "shipyard visit" to perform basic ship maintenance that other cruise lines make on turn around days or while at sea!
Get real! There is not a cruise line in the world that would do a refurbishment of this magnitude while the ship is operating. We're basically talking about redecorating the whole lounge, including replacement of all paneling.

Norm.
All you have to do is look at the past history of Celebrity when it comes to a lack of interest in proper ship maintenance.
The only cruise line in the world that I know of that would sail a ship in the condition that the Galaxy was in, fifteen months ago, is Celebrity. One just has to compare the conditions on board Celebrity ships compared to the conditions of other cruise ships and the tendency is for Celebrity to do the very least work that is possible to maintain their ships.
As I said, allowing the poor condition of the "Bar at the edge of the Earth" to remain for now over four years is just a clear indicator of what I have said. I have seen many other ships doing a lot more than replacing some paneling. I guess what you are saying, is that you feel that it would be impossible for Celebrity to do anything to improve the look of this disgusting d├ęcor in the Bar at the edge of the earth!!!! I think it is a case of as long as the passengers will stand for it, then just let it go. It all comes down to how much importance a cruise line puts on ship maintenance. It all depends on one's perspective about whether a ship that is reliable, is always kept in good condition is an important issue when considering a cruise line.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:17 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Debra, please, please, please, give it a rest!!!! You have absolutely no credibility with oyur contstant Celebrity bashing! We know that you were disappointed in your one Summit cruise 3 or 4 years ago. Don't you think it's time to get over it?
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea
Debra, please, please, please, give it a rest!!!! You have absolutely no credibility with oyur contstant Celebrity bashing! We know that you were disappointed in your one Summit cruise 3 or 4 years ago. Don't you think it's time to get over it?
There are many things that Celebrity does right, but there also some serious problems with Celebrity. This is a place for all opinions without comments such as the one above.

To set the record straight my horrible experience, along with about 1,900 other passengers was on the May 7 2006 Celebrity Summit, 13 night Alaskan cruise. My biggest disappointment comes from the fact that Celebrity lies to anyone asking a direct question about their faulty propulsion system. My disappointment stems from the fact that while on that cruise we were told outright lies by the Captain and Celebrity representatives. My disappointment comes from the fact that before my cruise there were thirteen separate occurrences of this same problem and there have been four more since our cruise in 2006. Anyone wishing to read more about just what can and did happen can read my review, in the review section on this board and then make their own decision.

As far as getting over it, I realize things happen on any cruise line but any company who admits there is a flaw in their product; in their lawsuit against the manufacturer, but tries to keep their customers in the dark is not something anyone should get over.

In my opinion I would look at Celebrity and those who defend Celebrity, no matter what Celebrity does, when you want to talk about a lack of credibility.

Debra

Winston Churchill