Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Beginner

Default Solstice Transatlantic

Hello,
We have just booked Celebrity Solstice Transatlantic on April 19.
Anyone else going?
1st time on Celebrity. Don't really like to dress up formally. Is sport jacket with shirt and slacks OK, or do they really dress up. Would agree to a tie with shirt, but not a suit.
Mille grazie,
Alberto
Costa Magica 3x, Costa Mediterranea 2x, Seaborne Legend 2x,
Raddison Diamond 2x, Carnival 1x.
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

IMO, passengers aboard Celebrity do dress up on the Formal nights. Have been on a few Celebrity vessels and yes, have seen a few chaps who do not done the tie (on formal night) or the black / dark suit (or jacket and slacks), but for the most part, they do.

If you would rather, there are many other dining options too, which don't require you to wear the formal attire.

Heck, it's only a couple nights, right? If you would rather, they offer suit / tie rentals on board too.
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have done 4 transatlantics on Celebrity and have noticed that the transatlantics have the highest percentage of passengers observing the dress code. We have also noticed that those on transatlantics tend to dress more formally than on Caribbean cruises.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:41 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Formal nights on Celebrity usually find 95% of the men in a tux or dark suit & tie. However, we just returned from Galaxt TA & I have to say that there were many, many people who were not dressed according to the suggested, particularly on informal nights. I would say that at least 40% of men did not wear a jacket on informal night.
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Solstice Transatlantic

Alberto,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hello,
Anyone else going?
1st time on Celebrity. Don't really like to dress up formally. Is sport jacket with shirt and slacks OK, or do they really dress up. Would agree to a tie with shirt, but not a suit.
If you really don't want to follow the prescribed dress for the "formal" and "informal" evenings, you probably will have a much better experience if you rebook on a different line. The passengers who book Celebrity's European and Transatlantic cruises not tend only to dress properly, but also tend to expect other passengers to do so. Those who don't may well find that they are shunned in the "formal" parts of the ship.

Celebrity's policy, as stated in the onboard bulletin ("Celebrity Today") is quite simple: "The prescribed evening attire is required throughout the ship, except designated casual areas, after 6:00 PM." On most ships, the "designated casual areas" consist of the buffet restaurant (which actually operates Celebrity's "Alternative Casual Dining" with full table service and a surcharge of $2.00 per person most evenings), the open deck and bar area behind the buffet restaurant (which usually has a live musician), the pool areas, and the spa and fitness center.

Norm.
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Solstice Transatlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Alberto,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hello,
Anyone else going?
If you really don't want to follow the prescribed dress for the "formal" and "informal" evenings, you probably will have a much better experience if you rebook on a different line. The passengers who book Celebrity's European and Transatlantic cruises not tend only to dress properly, but also tend to expect other passengers to do so. Those who don't may well find that they are shunned in the "formal" parts of the ship.

Celebrity's policy, as stated in the onboard bulletin ("Celebrity Today") is quite simple: "The prescribed evening attire is required throughout the ship, except designated casual areas, after 6:00 PM." On most ships, the "designated casual areas" consist of the buffet restaurant (which actually operates Celebrity's "Alternative Casual Dining" with full table service and a surcharge of $2.00 per person most evenings), the open deck and bar area behind the buffet restaurant (which usually has a live musician), the pool areas, and the spa and fitness center.

Norm.
And just to emphasize what Norm posted the dress code is for the entire evening, not just dinner.

Don
Old June 6th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Any new ship also tends to be dressier, especially if it is the first of a new class. I would expect Solstice to be a pretty formal ship for at leat the first year.

Even Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas had a surpr-sing number of Tuxedos when I sailed during her inaugural year.
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Beginner

Default Formal nights

Although I respect the opinions of Rev & Don, I think that the use of the term "shunned" by other passengers on the cruise if one does not dress formally on the designated nights is a bit "snobbish." I certainly would comply. But after dinner, if I want to change into something more comfortable I will. If I get shunned, well, to each his own!!!!
Ciao,
Alberto
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Admiral

albertusmagnus, I think one concern most people have is that cruising is changing faster than they like. Formal nite is one of those things that has changed over the years. I remember my first cruise in 1973 I wore a coat and tie every nite. There is room for everyone. On our last Med cruise the two guys at our table wore sport coats the first formal nite, So I changed from a tux to a sport coat the second formal nite. Interesting people are more important than what is worn. People are always talking about comfort. I believe the comfort thing, is more about clothes that don't fit correctly. What ever you chose make sure it fits correctly and you will be comfortable. Happy Crusing! Mike
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertusmagnus
Although I respect the opinions of Rev & Don, I think that the use of the term "shunned" by other passengers on the cruise if one does not dress formally on the designated nights is a bit "snobbish." I certainly would comply. But after dinner, if I want to change into something more comfortable I will. If I get shunned, well, to each his own!!!!
Ciao,
Alberto
I did not use the word shunned, I really don't care what other people wear. I have also never seen anyone shunned by other passengers. I was only answering your question and to further add to that if you change and are refused admission to a venue that is of course your choice. I am not expressing an opinion, just answering your original question. I have physically seen people denied entry into the theater and some bars without the proper dress.

With all that being said, since you issued your original post, Celebrity has issued some info on their various dining venues and based upon the info, I do not believe they will be able to sustain the "evening" policy, at least on the Solstice.

Don
Old June 26th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I think one concern most people have is that cruising is changing faster than they like. Formal nite is one of those things that has changed over the years. I remember my first cruise in 1973 I wore a coat and tie every nite. There is room for everyone. On our last Med cruise the two guys at our table wore sport coats the first formal nite, So I changed from a tux to a sport coat the second formal nite. Interesting people are more important than what is worn. People are always talking about comfort. I believe the comfort thing, is more about clothes that don't fit correctly. What ever you chose make sure it fits correctly and you will be comfortable. Happy Crusing!
What you are saying is true in so far as it goes, but the cruise industry and its passengers are far from monolithic. Several cruise lines including Disney, Azamara, and Oceania cater to those who favor comfort over tradition with "all casual" cruise environments. Others, including Princess Cruises and Holland America Lines, have grown more casual. Celebrity, OTOH, continues to maintain the traditional elegance bolstered by a loyal following of passengers who enjoy that experience.

Please do NOT expect a cruise on Celebrity to be just like a cruise on Carnival. It is not, and the respective passengers come with different expectations of both the cruise line and their fellow passengers.

Norm.
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Familiar Face

you should be ok with tie and jacket on formal night, dark suit would be better. you might get a few frowns from fellow passengers, but just ignore them. only about 30% will be in tuxs.
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Admiral

We should all just hold on a bit with the dress comments since apparently this week there will be major changes in dress code posted on the web site. One of these changes apparently will be elimination of Grand Buffet and in its place will be the addition of a gala brunch for one day of the cruise.

The other changes in the dress code have been coming out in bits and pieces and I think we should all hold on until all the pieces come together.

Don
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Beginner

[quote="dkjretired"]We should all just hold on a bit with the dress comments since apparently this week there will be major changes in dress code posted on the web site. One of these changes apparently will be elimination of Grand Buffet and in its place will be the addition of a gala brunch for one day of the cruise.

The other changes in the dress code have been coming out in bits and pieces and I think we should all hold on until all the pieces come together.

Don[/quote
Don,
I think you're right. I would encourage Celebrity to publish its new dress code ASAP. Look, As long as there are 12 casual nights and three formal nights, I'm in!!!! Just don't want to have to pack sport jackets, shirts, ties and formal wear along with all of the other stuff we will need. We're staying on in Italy for two weeks, and then going to Ireland for two more weeks. It will cost a fortune with the airlines and their new baggage policy.
Ciao,
Alberto