Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Open Dining on Celebrity?

Apologizing if this has already been addressed on the boards.

My TA informed me yesterday that by the time I go on my next cruise (Sept) Celebrity will have open dining. The dress code remains, but the dining will be open.

Norm, dkjretired, Kuki, anybody know if this is accurate info?

Many thanks-
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Default Open Dining

8) well, its news to me.. we are on the same exact cruise on 9/9/08 and have been on other boards and NOBODY, but NOBODY seems to have mentioned this. It wouldnt be a bad idea since we are going to Marrakesh andthat is a long long drive awa[/url]
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Open Dining on Celebrity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermen

My TA informed me yesterday that by the time I go on my next cruise (Sept) Celebrity will have open dining. The dress code remains, but the dining will be open.

Many thanks-
There has been no indicattion from Celebrity that they intend to change their dining to open. Don't believe anything until you see a press release from Celebrity. Honestly, it would not surprise me but you have to remember that many Celebrity clients so not want to see open dining.

Don
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I do NOT want to see open dining! I wasn't happy to hear this. In the same breath he told me about the new Celebrity no-smoking policy, which I verified with the board here-so I wasn't sure what to believe.

Thanks for the info!

Parrot Mom- We'll see you on the cruise! We've never been on a Transatlantic, and are looking forward to it.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Admiral

This is our THIRD trans-atlantic with Celebrity another one scheduled for 2009..Its the ONLY way to cruise...Malaga is a joy, been there before.All excited about finally getting to Marrakesh..it was cancelled on our Galaxy cruise of 2007. We are arriving in Barcelona a few days earlier...have been there before..parrotmom@verizon.net
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:35 PM
Beginner

I just this afternoon booked through a AAA TA for an Infinity Alaska cruise (my first every cruise) and was told about the different dinner seatings. So I assume that is not the case for this ship/destination.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katys
I just this afternoon booked through a AAA TA for an Infinity Alaska cruise (my first every cruise) and was told about the different dinner seatings. So I assume that is not the case for this ship/destination.
Thanks. There are two dinner times, the "Main" and the "Late Seating". I heard that the times would be the same, but the tables wouldn't be assigned.

Did your TA talk with you about the number of people you wanted to sit with at dinner?
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Beginner

Yes, she asked if we wanted a 4, 6 or 8 seat table (and said quietly "don't do 4) Ha! So I requested a 6 seat table. Actually, my confirmation said something different when I received it, so I emailed back to confirm.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM
First Mate

Our last Celebrity cruise there was a mix-up on our table assignment. Our number turned out to be a table for two and was already occupied. We had requested 6 or preferrably 8. We were reassigned to a table of 12! Biggest one ever. We've been at the same size table before but only with 10 people. It was okay. We only tried free-style once and hated it. Really hope that Celebrity doesn't change its dining. I think that the majority of Celebrity devotees would object, so its unlikely to happen IMO.
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Surpirsing HAL has switched to a choice between Open and fixed. On our last cruise we opted for Open. I'm not sure why except that we were with a group and felt that maybe we'd want to eat earlier or whatever. The first night we went down at 7:30 and were seated almost immediately. We liked our table and waiters so much we asked if we could request them again. And we did, each and every day we called a made a reservation for 7:45 for table 51. It was great. So while we technically had open we were able to eat basically when we wanted. I didn't hear any complaints from other cruisers about the open dining. Maybe Celebrity will do the same and offer an option.

Constellation
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Open Dining on Celebrity?

Mermen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

Many thanks-
No, I have not heard anything about this. I believe that MY Celebrity Xpedition may offer open dining on her cruises around the Galapagos Islands and Celebrity did announce that MV Celebrity Journey and MV Celebrity Quest would offer open dining when they were to operate under the "Celebrity Expeditions" brand (the company subsequently changed the brand to "Azamara Cruises" and the names of the vessels to MV Azamara Journey and MV Azamara Quest) but I have not heard of any plans to introduce open seating aboard any vessel operating under the "Celebrity Cruises" brand.

Norm.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't think open dining is being considered.
However, I just found out that the stupid, archaic and unenforceable rule of requiring formal attire to be worn in all public areas of the ship on formal night is GONE!!!
Smart casual is now acceptable for those wanting to change into more comfortable clothes. Staying formal is, of course, still an option.
"Formal evening dress code standards will be enforced in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants on all formal evenings." NOT the whole ship.
Congrats to X for finally joining the more casual/sensible 21st century.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm44
I don't think open dining is being considered.
However, I just found out that the stupid, archaic and unenforceable rule of requiring formal attire to be worn in all public areas of the ship on formal night is GONE!!!
Smart casual is now acceptable for those wanting to change into more comfortable clothes. Staying formal is, of course, still an option.
"Formal evening dress code standards will be enforced in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants on all formal evenings." NOT the whole ship.
Congrats to X for finally joining the more casual/sensible 21st century.
Although it appears it is being changing your characterization of Celebrity's policy as stupid, archaic and unenforeable is not very accurate. I would certainly say it was not stupid since most Celebrity cruisers for most of Celebrity's history have agreed with the policy. I would tend to agree with you about it being archaic. It was definitely enforceable as evidenced by Celebrity's first 15 or so years when they actually enforced it so that comment is totally not accurate. Celebrity chose not to enforce it which is different from being non enforceable.

Don
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Admiral

I like Celebrity the way it is and I don't want open dining.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!