Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ket920
Default a question about the formal nights

My husband and I are going on an Alaskan cruise in july. I was curious as to what would be the difference between the "Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner" and the "Captain's Farewell Dinner", as far as dress would go?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or replies.

Kimberly

Free Cruise Clocks
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:29 PM
First Mate

Both are considered formal nites.
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: a question about the formal nights

Kimberly,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My husband and I are going on an Alaskan cruise in july. I was curious as to what would be the difference between the "Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner" and the "Captain's Farewell Dinner", as far as dress would go?
There's no difference at all. Both require "modified formal" attire -- tuxedo, dinner jacket ensemble, or dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suit for gentlemen and a formal dress, either full length or cocktail length, for ladies.

If your husband does not have an outfit, he can rent a dinner jacket or tuxedo from a formalwear shop. Most shops offer a "cruise package" that includes a jacket and formal pants, two shirts with studs and cuff links, a vest and matching tie, a cummerbund and matching tie, and formal shoes, if he needs them, for about $85 to $90 for the week. The vest and the cummerbund, with matching ties, will give him two different looks, and they can be different colors to coordinate with your outfits. For a cruise in the summertime, I generally prefer the white dinner jacket but a tuxedo (black) jacket is also acceptable. You also can rent the outfit through the cruise line if you find it more convenient to do so, but the cruise line's rental may be slightly more expensive.

Your best option would be to bring one "formal" dress and matching shoes, plus a couple different sets of jewelry and other accessories to give it different looks.

Note that there are also two "informal" evenings on your cruise. On the "informal" evenings, gents wear a shirt with a collar, slacks, dress shoes (with socks), and a sport coat or "blazer" while ladies usually wear a cocktail dress. If you bring a fancy cocktail dress for the "formal" evenings, you probably will want a different dress -- which need not be so flashy -- for the "informal" evenings.

Norm.
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the replies.

Norm, you have been most helpful. I am shopping around for a evening gown, but I do have a cocktail dress that I recently purchased. My husband has a dark suit, but I don't know if it is dark enough. I thought if I paired it with a darker shirt, tie and square it might work. Here is his suit (from our wedding. heh:

Free Cruise Clocks
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Admiral

ket920,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thanks for the replies.

Norm, you have been most helpful. I am shopping around for a evening gown, but I do have a cocktail dress that I recently purchased. My husband has a dark suit, but I don't know if it is dark enough. I thought if I paired it with a darker shirt, tie and square it might work. Here is his suit (from our wedding.
Yes, that shade of grey appears to be fine in the photo. It's really the light grey business suits, traditionally worn by bankers, and the summer shades (light blue, tan, etc.) that are not appropriate. but stick with the white dress shirt and the standard necktie.

Norm.
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Passenger

OK. Thank you, Norm!

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Familiar Face

Default two formal nights

If you do bring 2 formal outfits, save the looser one for the second night!!
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Passenger

^, hehe. thanks!

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
My husband has a dark suit, but I don't know if it is dark enough. I
If your husband wears a suit of any color he will be at least as well dressed as probably 70% of the men on the ship.

On the first formal night (Captain's Welcome Aboard Party) you'll normally find the passengers more "dressed up" than any other formal nights...... most likely because there's a complimentary cocktail party prior to each dinner seating.
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Passenger

Ohhh, ok. Thanks, Kuki!

I was also wondering when the formal nights usually are? I assume the cruise line uses the same "schedule" aboard all the ships. We will be aboard the Millennium, if that makes a difference.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Kimberly,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Ohhh, ok. Thanks, Kuki!

I was also wondering when the formal nights usually are? I assume the cruise line uses the same "schedule" aboard all the ships. We will be aboard the Millennium, if that makes a difference.
The ship sets the actual schedule, which you'll find in your cabin when you go aboard. Nonetheless, they usually follow a very standard practice.

>> The formal evenings are usually the second evening (Captain's "Welcome Aboard!") and the next to last evening (Captain's "Farewell"). This is pretty predictable, as ships usually deviate only when they are in port on one of the evenings that would normally be a "formal" evening. Thus, the "formal" evenings probably will fall on the second and sixth evenings on your cruise. (On cruises longer than about a week, the third "formal" evening is usually on either a day at sea or a day on which the ship leaves port early that's about midway between the first and last "formal" evenings. The ships also recognize that people do need time to get "gussied up" for a "formal" evening.)

>> The "informal" evenings are evenings between the first and last "formal" evenings when the ship does not remain in port late at night. The "informal" evenings probably will fall on the third and fifth evenings of your cruise.

>> The first and last evenings of a cruise are ALWAYS casual because it's totally impractical to do anything else on these evenings. On the first evening, some passengers may not have received their luggage and thus won't have their formalwear. On the last evening, passengers have to pack their formalwear before the end of the evening in preparation for debarkation the next morning.

BTW, I recommend travelling to the ship in clothes that conform to the standard for "casual" eveningwear, as this will spare you considerable embarrassment and avoid awkward situations if your luggage does not get delivered to your cabins until some time into the dinner hour.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

We have been on some Celebrity cruises where the formal night was on the first formal night was on the third night and others where the last formal night was on the 5th night. It depends on the itinerary and port times.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old June 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM
First Mate

Beginning August 1, 2008 there will no longer be informal nights. You will have 2 formal and 5 casual.

Don't stress about the formal nights, according to the brochure, any dressy outfit for ladies is fine.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old June 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Girl
Don't stress about the formal nights, according to the brochure, any dressy outfit for ladies is fine.
i try not to, but i'm a stay at home mom with too much time on her hands. hehe

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Beginning August 1, 2008 there will no longer be informal nights. You will have 2 formal and 5 casual.

?No informal nights? I hadn't heard this. Assuming you are talking about Celebrity, and that doesn't really sound like them. IMO 'informal' is ambiguous and should be called something else, but I really would hate to see Celebrity drop them altogether.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
First Mate

It's true, Celebrity is dropping the informal nights as of August 1, 2008. Some people are very upset about this, but most are glad. It will cut down on what to pack.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:58 AM
First Mate

Oh, Kimberly, I just noticed you sail in 2 weeks, I misread it as 2 months. You probably will have 2 informal nights on your cruise.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Passenger

oh, it's fine. thank you for the info!

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Admiral

kd,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
?No informal nights? I hadn't heard this. Assuming you are talking about Celebrity, and that doesn't really sound like them. IMO 'informal' is ambiguous and should be called something else, but I really would hate to see Celebrity drop them altogether.
The terms "formal, "semiformal," "informal," and "casual" actually have very specific, well established, meaning in traditional social etiquette, so they should not be sources of confusion. The fact that you find "informal" confusing is probably a reflection of the fact that our schools, both public and private, do not teach traditional social etiquette -- and I really think that they should!

>> "Formal" means "black tie" -- gentlemen wear a dinner jacket outfit (which may be a tuxedo) and ladies wear a full length dress. Back in the 1970's, the cruise lines adopted a "modified formal" standard of dress that also admitted dark business suits and elegant cocktail dresses as an accommodation to the fact that, at that time, many people owned busiess attire but did not own true formalwear. In recent years, formal pantsuits, usually made of silk, some social circles have started to accept formal pant suits, usually made of silk, for ladies.

>> "Semiformal" means traditional business attire -- a business suit for gentlemen and either a business suit or a cocktail dress for ladies. In recent decades, the boundaries have become a bit blurred so a sport coat worn with dress slacks and a dress shirt and a necktie, are also acceptable.

>> "Informal" traditionally meant a sport coat, slacks, dress shirt, and necktie for gentlemen and a dress or a dressy blouse and skirt for ladies, but this also has grown more relaxed in recent years -- first, with the introduction of the turtleneck shirt as an alternative to the shirt and tie for gents and subsequently with acceptance of a collared shirt (sport shirt, golf shirt, etc.) worn with the collar open and no necktie.

>> In eveningwear, "casual" traditionally meant a shirt with a collar and slacks for gents and a top with a skirt for ladies.

Note that it has also become acceptable for ladies to wear pants of an equivalent style in place of a skirt under all of these standards in the last couple decades. A women's business suit may have either pants or a skirt, for example.

Some new terms have gained popularity in recent years, most notably including "modified formal" (see above) and many modifiers of "casual" -- "business casual," "country club casual," "smart casual," etc. I have seen one manual of social etiquette that recognized these terms, but the usage of the variations of "casual" in particular does not seem to be consistent from place to place. Thus, these terms often cause much more confusion.

Norm.
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:56 AM
First Mate

Oh Norm!

You didn't really need to give the entire dress code...once again. By saying that 'informal' was ambiguous, I only meant to say that most people aren't sure exactly how to dress for it. I personally have no problem in this area. Informal night attire on ships varies more than either formal or casual nights.
I'm surprised that you didn't comment on the post regarding discontinuation of informal nights.
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Beginning August 1, 2008 there will no longer be informal nights.
Can you point me to the source of this information?
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasco
Quote:
Beginning August 1, 2008 there will no longer be informal nights.
Can you point me to the source of this information?
Nothing official yet but it appears to be correct information based upon calls to Celebrity customer service and people receiving their documents with the new policy.

Also, Solstice apparently will have various dress codes for their different restaurants. This appears also to be the end of Celebrity's policy of "dress for the evening", at least on Solstice. Again, nothing confirmed but stay tuned.

Here's some info on Solstice

Don

http://cruises.travel.yahoo.net/c/fo...&enddate=&dsc=
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Admiral

In these discussions of the clothing rules, the most important thing to remember is that Celebrity is not consistent about enforcing many of their rules including clothing. They should either enforce their rules or get rid of them...That is the first step..

Don
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:27 PM
First Mate

I have e-mailed Celebrity 3 different times asking about the dress code because I wasn't sure what to expect. Here is their answer and it was the same all 3 times:

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail. We are happy to assist.

Please note that our dress code are recommendations and not requirements, however, dress slacks are perfectly acceptable for formal night.

At no time, is a guest turned away from the dining room because of their attire unless they are wearing shorts or a swimming suit.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I have e-mailed Celebrity 3 different times asking about the dress code because I wasn't sure what to expect. Here is their answer and it was the same all 3 times:

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail. We are happy to assist.

Please note that our dress code are recommendations and not requirements, however, dress slacks are perfectly acceptable for formal night.

At no time, is a guest turned away from the dining room because of their attire unless they are wearing shorts or a swimming suit.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.
That is not what the daily's say when you get on board. Someone posted it not too long ago and it stated required.

Don
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:05 PM
First Mate

Both come from Celebrity so I would think either would be okay.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Also, Solstice apparently will have various dress codes for their different restaurants. This appears also to be the end of Celebrity's policy of "dress for the evening", at least on Solstice. Again, nothing confirmed but stay tuned.
Argh! Don't "they" learn???

Celebrity tried that once, requiring "informal" attire on otherwise "casual" evenings in the specialty restaurants aboard the four ships of the Millennium class. It worked so well that they dropped it, and it no doubt will work about as well on the ships of the Solstice class.

Norm.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Apparently two more changes will be coming from Celebrity very shortly. These are unofficial but appear to be on their way.
1. Dress code will no longer be for the evening but for the specific restaurant.
2. Jeans no longer forbidden in the dining room.

More to come.

Don
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Apparently two more changes will be coming from Celebrity very shortly. These are unofficial but appear to be on their way.
1. Dress code will no longer be for the evening but for the specific restaurant.
2. Jeans no longer forbidden in the dining room.

More to come.
Both may well be inevitable, but I can't say that I regard either as improvements.

Norm.
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Admiral

I agree with you completely Norm.

Don