CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Fort Lauderdale airport to cruise terminal? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/352316-fort-lauderdale-airport-cruise-terminal.html)

T C June 15th, 2008 09:40 AM

Fort Lauderdale airport to cruise terminal?

Your opinions please.....

If the flight is scheduled to arrive at 1:05 p.m and the ship sails at 4:30 p.m. ~~~~ is this enough time to allow for the trip from airport to terminal, check in and boarding?

Of the flight options I've checked, this is the best so far. I'm just a little uneasy of the 3 hour window. :-? I'm considering the November 30th sailing on the Soltice, and trying to avoid an overnight stay in Fla, haven't committed yet.

Thanks for all opinions/advice.
TC

Rev22:17 June 15th, 2008 08:45 PM

Re: Fort Lauderdale airport to cruise terminal?

TC,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Your opinions please.....

If the flight is scheduled to arrive at 1:05 p.m and the ship sails at 4:30 p.m. ~~~~ is this enough time to allow for the trip from airport to terminal, check in and boarding?

It would be no problem if your flight arrives on time. The pier is about five minutes from the airport by cab.

The big issue here would be if you encounter some sort of problem with your flight. This flight would leave you with virtually no opportunity to recover. Unfortunately, flights do sometimes get delayed by weather, late arrivals of crew or aircraft, mechanical failures, and other circumstances beyond your control. Thus, it would be preferable to book a flight that's scheduled to arrive before noon if you can.

Norm.

Trip June 17th, 2008 09:07 AM

I will agree with Norm..if the airplane gods are with you, all is good. If any glitch, it could be troublesome for you....Book an earlier flight if you can.

Starting off your vacation should be relaxing. If no earlier flights, check out hotel prices, you might find a deal that will be cost efficient, and put your mind at ease.

Did you book The Cruisemate group cruise for the Solstice? If so, get ready to have a ball!

kennygeorge June 17th, 2008 01:42 PM

Get there a day early

As a seasoned cruiser, I suggest flying in a day early.

It is a great stress remover and gives you a chance
to start your vacation a day early.

By the time you wake up and have breakfast, you will be
in vacation mode and the trip to the port becomes a non-
stress trip.

We even usually start the morning with some bubbly and
take a leisurely ride to the port.

The unpredictability of airline travel is enough of a reason to
arrive early.

That being said, Fort Lauderdale is by far the easiest port to
get to from the airport. You should have no problem if your
flight is ok.

T C June 17th, 2008 07:51 PM

Thank you for your advice. :)

It comes down to 3 choices;

1) take the chance there is no delay on the non-stop flight arriving at 1:05
2) take the MUCH earlier ... change planes in Dallas ... 11:30 a.m. arrival
~or~ (and I think I'm liking this on the best)
3) come in a day early, have a leisurely breakfast with bubbly and shuttle to port at my leisure. :wink:
TC

candbgirl June 19th, 2008 10:50 PM

Go with option 3. Even the earlier flight doesn't leave you much wiggle room. And November is a bad month for weather. Don't start the cruise with a disaster. Have fun.

blueliner June 21st, 2008 04:25 PM

I always chhose to fly in a day early, some very good and affordable hotels in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

TravelMike June 26th, 2008 11:39 AM

TC, unless you live close, an hour flight I recommend arriving a day early, Less stress. You can see the port from the air port. It is only about three miles. It normally takes about ten minutes between the port and airport. With the level of confusion and change with airlines these days. I like wiggle room. Mike

T C June 26th, 2008 10:25 PM

My thanks to all of you for the advice. :D
TC

Dannyboy June 26th, 2008 11:47 PM

Fly-in a day earily and relax.

Remember, your on vacation, fly in the day before and don't worry about saving $200 and income generated from lost work, worry about the person your traveling with and having a good time. You can save money by cutting back on drinks, gambling and eating out during shore visits.
Celebrity now requires you to agree to the contract of voyage prior to receiving your boarding pass.
You have a deadline on checking in, prior to departure. if you fail to meet the requirement, your stateroom can be taken away.
If your flying from a snow-belt airport and you have a lay-over, your chances of delay or lost luggage is increased.