Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
Beginner

Default Unbelievable experience on Celebrity

We sailed on Celebrity, Millennium in April 2008 for a week long cruise as first time cruisers. When we arrived in our cabin there was an awful smell. The carpets had visible dark stains all over, the mirrors, sliders and wall bunk had hand prints all over them. The pillowcase on our bed was ripped. The bathroom had mold and mildew on the walls, floors, shower and shower curtain, (which also was torn and shredded at the bottom) We contacted the room attendant who sprayed a chemical so strong we had to leave the room, when we returned to the room we realized the air conditioning was not working either. I went to complain about the room and while I did so my husband took my son and the rest of our group (11 total) to get pizza at the Ocean Grill. While they were there my 10yo son was physically assaulted (yes, punched in the chest!) by another guest who was an under age, extremely intoxicated female. This took place in front of my husband and family and an employee of the cruise line who continued to walk by as my husband was trying to get him to stop and help resolve the escalating problem. The employee then let the female leave without getting her name or room number and advised that he would contact security so they could come talk to us. Approximately an hour went by and we still had not heard from security. We found the employee again who was sitting with his feet up in a chair in the Grill and he advised me that he had not contacted security because he did not know we wanted to talk to them!! We met with security and they stated they had no idea of the incident and would be able to do nothing further because the employee had let the girl go. The food on the ship was reheated food, defiantly not what you would expect from a high end cruise line. There was no variety in the food choices. (Buffet or dinner) There were huge holes in the carpet and floor that we tripped on while walking. While we were in port one day they decided to paint all our balconies, we had 3 rooms together, so we could not go out on any of the verandas because of the paint smell and the fact that the rails were wet.
When we got home I immediately faxed a letter to Celebrity/Royal Caribbean and allowed the 3 weeks for a response. I received NONE! I could not even get a return call to inform me they received the fax. It has now been 4 months, approximately 30 messages to the Risk Management Department and Supervisors and can get NO ONE to call me back. Yesterday, I did speak with a Supervisor of the Department and he promised me he would call me back with the results of the investigation, which he did NOT do. Later that night I received a letter in the mail that the investigation was complete and the employee handled the incident to their satisfaction, (I guess lying to their guests is acceptable) but as a consolation we received a $100.00 voucher for our next cruise with them. Are they kidding? They did not even address the issues of the room. I can not believe that this is their idea of customer service. (If we ignore it maybe it will go away.) It is beyond me that we spent over $4,000.00 on this cruise line and I can not get a simple phone call back. If you are thinking of sailing Celebrity please think again!
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Admiral

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Not only that, first 2 posts, both on the same thing several months past the cruise is always suspect. Also, the comments about the condition of the ship do not corrospond to those of others who have recently cruised on her. The food is definitely not reheated and many other comments just don't add up. Sounds more like a disgruntled employee or something..

Don
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Beginner

Default free cruise?

Could a disgruntled guest be hoping to wrangle a free cruise?
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Beginner

I read all the other posts on this ship and funny that you accuse anyone who has anything negative to say of being a disgruntled employee.

A) I am not a disgruntled employee of Celebrity, nor have I ever been employeed with the company.

B) I do not want a free cruise from this company nor would I accept one if offered.

The reason I have waited months to post this is I was truely hoping a company such as Celebrity/Royal Carribean would take this matter more seriously. We were first advised by security that the incident would be turned over to the FBI as it occured in international waters. (Being that I have worked in law enforcement for 13yrs, I figured I'd let them handle it) However, that did not happen, it was never brought to them. I did not want to jepordize any investigation and I wanted to give them a fair chance to resolve the issue. There are no other statements that I made that do not add up. I would be happy to post the pictures I took of the rooms condition if anyone feels it would validate the complaint I have. The pictures were sent to Celebrity as well. This was a retirement cruise for my father-in-law that 11 of my family memebers went on. I am however a disgrunteled/protective mother of a 10yo boy who was battered on this cruise. Hence my posting this is the other section also. If anyone of you is a parent and your child went through an incident like this would you not want everyone to know how you and your family were treated? I am sure our rooms condition is not the norm however it WAS our rooms condition and I would think this would be unacceptable to anyone! If you really read the other comments many have stated that Celebrity seems to be lacking in the care and up keep of their ships.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by channah
I read all the other posts on this ship and funny that you accuse anyone who has anything negative to say of being a disgruntled employee.

A) I am not a disgruntled employee of Celebrity, nor have I ever been employeed with the company.

B) I do not want a free cruise from this company nor would I accept one if offered.

The reason I have waited months to post this is I was truely hoping a company such as Celebrity/Royal Carribean would take this matter more seriously. We were first advised by security that the incident would be turned over to the FBI as it occured in international waters. (Being that I have worked in law enforcement for 13yrs, I figured I'd let them handle it) However, that did not happen, it was never brought to them. I did not want to jepordize any investigation and I wanted to give them a fair chance to resolve the issue. There are no other statements that I made that do not add up. I would be happy to post the pictures I took of the rooms condition if anyone feels it would validate the complaint I have. The pictures were sent to Celebrity as well. This was a retirement cruise for my father-in-law that 11 of my family memebers went on. I am however a disgrunteled/protective mother of a 10yo boy who was battered on this cruise. Hence my posting this is the other section also. If anyone of you is a parent and your child went through an incident like this would you not want everyone to know how you and your family were treated? I am sure our rooms condition is not the norm however it WAS our rooms condition and I would think this would be unacceptable to anyone! If you really read the other comments many have stated that Celebrity seems to be lacking in the care and up keep of their ships.
Hi Channah:

First let me apologize for some of the comments about what must have been a very trying experience. I feel so sorry for what you must have gone through on your Celebrity cruise.

Many others have reported very poor conditions in some cabins on Celebrity ships. When paying over $4,000 for what is advertised as a premium cruising experience you have every right in the world to be disappointed with the conditions that you found.

As for the actions of Celebrity and their employees about the assault on your son, there are simply no words. The letter from Celebrity stating that the employee handled the incident to their satisfaction is probably true, since there is no record of what took place and that leaves Celebrity free of their responsibility. I know that there is an implicit trust in a company to do the right thing, but I too have learned the hard way that you must be very aware of how a company tends to handle serious problems. Celebrity does tend to just give out future cruise credits instead of properly addressing problems when they happen.

I hope your next cruise turns out to be everything that this one was not.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Unbelievable experience on Celebrity

channah,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We sailed on Celebrity, Millennium in April 2008 for a week long cruise as first time cruisers. When we arrived in our cabin there was an awful smell. The carpets had visible dark stains all over, the mirrors, sliders and wall bunk had hand prints all over them. The pillowcase on our bed was ripped. The bathroom had mold and mildew on the walls, floors, shower and shower curtain, (which also was torn and shredded at the bottom) We contacted the room attendant who sprayed a chemical so strong we had to leave the room, when we returned to the room we realized the air conditioning was not working either. I went to complain about the room and while I did so my husband took my son and the rest of our group (11 total) to get pizza at the Ocean Grill. While they were there my 10yo son was physically assaulted (yes, punched in the chest!) by another guest who was an under age, extremely intoxicated female. This took place in front of my husband and family and an employee of the cruise line who continued to walk by as my husband was trying to get him to stop and help resolve the escalating problem. The employee then let the female leave without getting her name or room number and advised that he would contact security so they could come talk to us. Approximately an hour went by and we still had not heard from security. We found the employee again who was sitting with his feet up in a chair in the Grill and he advised me that he had not contacted security because he did not know we wanted to talk to them!! We met with security and they stated they had no idea of the incident and would be able to do nothing further because the employee had let the girl go. The food on the ship was reheated food, defiantly not what you would expect from a high end cruise line. There was no variety in the food choices. (Buffet or dinner) There were huge holes in the carpet and floor that we tripped on while walking. While we were in port one day they decided to paint all our balconies, we had 3 rooms together, so we could not go out on any of the verandas because of the paint smell and the fact that the rails were wet.
When we got home I immediately faxed a letter to Celebrity/Royal Caribbean and allowed the 3 weeks for a response. I received NONE! I could not even get a return call to inform me they received the fax. It has now been 4 months, approximately 30 messages to the Risk Management Department and Supervisors and can get NO ONE to call me back. Yesterday, I did speak with a Supervisor of the Department and he promised me he would call me back with the results of the investigation, which he did NOT do. Later that night I received a letter in the mail that the investigation was complete and the employee handled the incident to their satisfaction, (I guess lying to their guests is acceptable) but as a consolation we received a $100.00 voucher for our next cruise with them. Are they kidding? They did not even address the issues of the room. I can not believe that this is their idea of customer service. (If we ignore it maybe it will go away.) It is beyond me that we spent over $4,000.00 on this cruise line and I can not get a simple phone call back. If you are thinking of sailing Celebrity please think again!
Funny how your title fits. Your account really is beyond belief. In eleven (11) cruises on the line, I occasionally have seen some need of cosmetic maintenance (grungy upholstery in need of cleaning, deck material on weather decks in need of replacement, etc.), but nothing anywhere close to what you portray.

Norm.
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Beginner

I am new to this board but I think I figured out how to post a picture gallery. Please check it. I titled it April 2008 Celebrity Millennium. I took pictures of our rooms condition, unfortunatley finger prints don't show up on a pic, so the mirror and sliders didn't come out. But maybe if the non-believers see the pictures I do have then...

As of today I have left 7-10 more messages for Risk Managment and her Supervisor with no responce. I did speak to Customer Service who said they are "cleaning house" with the personnel, but should that be a reason not to properly address issues. And again the main issue here is while we were on board they did nothing to ensure the saftey of their guests. And nothing will change since they feel it was handled satisfactory. If you are a parent that SHOULD concern you. I have also posted on other boards our experience and many have said they were quite disappointed in the upkeep of the ship as well. I just feel that IF something should go wrong on your cruise you should be aware of the type of Customer Service you will receive both on the ship and when you get off. NONE!
Old July 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife would not have stayed in that cabin with that much mold and the unknown brown stuff on the carpet !!!! Celebrity should be ashamed.
Bob
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:22 PM
First Mate

We are pleased that you were able to post your pictures. The Celebrity cheering stands and stockholder committee can try all they want to negate your review but to no avail. This cabin us not only unacceptable it is unhealthy.

Celebrity, if you are watching and reading, and we all know that you are, you should be ashamed of your staff and management. It is they that hold the reponsibility for loss of business and with these photographs, such is no doubt to occur.
Old July 26th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default How to Solve Your Cruise Problems.

How to Solve Your Cruise Problems
By Todd De Haven
Last Updated July 25, 2008
Passengers who address shipboard problems like a cruise industry insider are likely to get better results.

The portly, sweating middle-aged man in a tropical shirt stepped forward from his place at the head of the line at the Purser's desk.

"Good afternoon Sir. How may I assist you -- now?" The ship's representative barely spoke the last word before the passenger launched into his tirade. As he gesticulated wildly, his wife stood alongside and beamed at him with her best "Well, that's telling them!" look.

The problem? Despite a warning from the same Assistant Purser an hour earlier about demagnetizing his 'sign and sail' card by placing it in a pocket next to his cell phone, our passenger repeated the error. The staff person repeats the same information dozens of times a day, and saying it one more time is just part of the job. But to the passenger, it was a source of heartburn-causing consternation -- at least that was how it appeared.

Unfortunately, this kind of behavior is not the best way to solve a problem on board a ship.

There are two kinds of complainers: those who take each event in stride and patiently await a resolution, and those who add one complaint onto the next, escalating their outrage each time.

In this case, the man making the complaint caused his own problem, though unwittingly. A calmer demeanor would have been far more appropriate. In cases like this, neither party is at fault -- the purser didn't design the magnetic key cards, and the passenger didn't erase the encoded information on purpose.

Addressing Serious Shipboard Problems

Human nature is always a factor, as anyone who has worked in customer service will tell you. How quickly and effectively a problem is solved can be affected by the manner and tone of the complaint.

How should a cruiser complain when a serious problem crops up, like an accounting error in their final bill, or a room service meal that never arrives?

The best course is to notify the proper person as quickly as possible, not letting loose on whomever picks up the phone. We suggest the following:

Before going to the Purser's desk or calling the Room Service supervisor, reflect upon the attitude of the person receiving your complaint. Their demeanor is one of courtesy and professionalism, and in most cases they appear to be sincere about wanting you to have the best cruise ever.

Most ship staff work very hard for a good comment on the cruise evaluation forms. If you give the ship's workers the impression that you take notice of them individually and appreciate the jobs they do personally, then they are going to think of you as someone who might give them a good "grade," and they will work that much harder to please you.

But if you appear to be uninterested in getting involved with anyone outside your own circle, they probably think you won't bother to notice if they do a great job, and they will not put in any extra effort for you. Thus personalized "complaining" to the right person can be more effective because it shows the worker that you know how the system works.

Next Page: To Whom Should You Address Your Complaint

Copyright © - 2008 , Cruisemates. All rights reserved.
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Sorry about your bad experience on Celebrity

Maybe this will help.

You can write to Ombudsman (an advice columnist through Conde Nast Traveler):

Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036

Tell him about your incident, and see where it takes you. Or contact the travel agency and maybe they can contact someone higher up on Celebrity.

Good luck!!
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Actually I think the original poster should be contacting their travel agent to go to work for them to try and resolve their complaints.

It's part of the job they took on when they sold them the cruise.
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Beginner

Thank you guys for the advice. I did contact the travel agent when we got home, sent her a copy of the pictures and the letter I wrote and she also attempted to contact Celebrity for us, unfortunately they did not respond to her either. I will try the other suggestion posted.

I was glad I was able to post the pictures, because it surely did shut up those who felt it necessary to bash me.

Thanks again!
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Of all the terrible things mentioned, the incident with your little boy, breaks my heart. Sad you didn't tackle the ignoramous employee, who walked on by...I hope your son was able to enjoy the cruise a bit, with all that went on. Did you see this drunk woman again, and did she at all know what she did, and did you ever confront her?

I agree too, with the alerting ta and the ombudsman column. Good luck!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 28th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Captain

Quote:
Thank you guys for the advice. I did contact the travel agent when we got home, sent her a copy of the pictures and the letter I wrote and she also attempted to contact Celebrity for us, unfortunately they did not respond to her either. I will try the other suggestion posted.

I was glad I was able to post the pictures, because it surely did shut up those who felt it necessary to bash me.

Thanks again!
Channah:

It is refreshing to see someone who does not spend all that money for a cruise and feel they must just meekly accept whatever happens on their cruise or the unacceptable conditions that they find.

I would try that great suggestion about contacting editors of cruise magazines and see if they can help. Assuming your travel agent gets the same indifferent attitude that you have from Celebrity customer service, here are a couple of more ideas you might want to try. BTW, these suggestions might help anyone who has a major problem on any cruise line.

You may want to contact the following people with a complete description of what happened on your cruise and the condition of your state room and also send pictures to document the conditions.

1. Contacting the Miami Better Business Bureau and your local BBB.

2. Contacting your state Attorney Generals office.

3. If you charged your cruise on a credit card you can always file a disputed claim with your credit card company. Your credit card company will then contact Celebrity and Celebrity will have to acknowledge them! This is a simple procedure and can be accomplished over the telephone. This can be done even months after your cruise is over and the bill has been paid.

4. You could also try to file a claim in small claims court and see what happens.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old July 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Beginner

Thank you for your suggestions.

I too, wish we could have gotten better results regarding the employee. Of all the incidents that took place, and tho I have pictures of the room, I feel that the incident involving my son was most tramatic and should have been dealt with differently. Tho, we had all these incidents take place we did enjoy the ports and tried to handle it like adults and not keep harping on it in front of my son so he could enjoy this trip. We met with the hotel manager and security supervisor the following day on the cruise, and although they were professional and polite it did no good, they did not want to be bothered looking through the photo's to see if they could find the female that battered my son. We were advised that if we saw her again we were to contact security ASAP, we did see her when we were in port getting off the boat and advised security as she had just left the ship and her photo would have been documented as she exited. That also did no good. I asked security the policy on violence on the ship and they advised they had a zero tolerance, and that if she did anything AGAIN, she would have to be disembarked. (???? AGAIN???? Doesn't sound like zero tolerance to me)

I guess my reason for posting all this, is exactly like Nurse Debra said, I didn't feel we should just "roll over and take it" so I am doing everything I can to let cruisers know the type of cruise line Celebrity really is if an issue should arise. At this point, I don't feel Celebrity will ever handle this appropriately.

I did file a complaint with the BBB and Consumer Affairs, as well as several websites such as complaints.com, epinions.com and a few others. But, am going to try the other suggestions as well. So, thank you for them!
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have said this before, because at least in my area, the tv consumer reporters, have amazing ways of getting issues settled. Contact yours, or one in Miami.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Passenger

Channah,

Wow, your experience wasn't a good one. As a side note, I hope all the other elements of the cruise were great.

I am a stauch supporter of Celebrity and I try to realize that everyone's expereinces are subjective. However I think you were subjected a little too much. To me it seems like you had two unfortunate circumstances collide. So your poor view of Celebrity was raised to the second power.

The assualt issue was handled poorly. Assault is something I wouldn't tolerate during my vacation and I would simply continue up the security chain of command until satisfaction was reached. It does seem unlikely that charges can be pressed at this time, but Celebrity needs to be responsible for the poor handling of the situation.

The unsatisfactory cabin is also terrible. There is no excuse for a dirty cabin. I am a little tolerant of wear and tear, but things should be clean. Your cabin stewart was negligent in both cleaning and reporting maintenance issues. The shower curtain could easily be replaced. the dark stains could most likely be shampooed out. The broken TP holder is easily replaced. The mold and mildew were probably harmless, but without testing that is not really known. Mold and mildew should not be permitted to grow in a cabin. It poses a potential health risk and it is unsettling. The caulking could be removed, the mold and mildew eradicated, and the bathroom re-caulked. This would require a three day curing time. The worn tile grout is also a maintenance issue that will require three days of curing time. The light carpet stain would require carpet replacement which may or may not be reserved for dry dock.

The cabin never would have reached such a poor condition had the cabin steward been dilligent in his job.

For the sake of customer relations, if I were Celebrity, I would send you a personally written apology letter, an invitation to suggest what you would like to have happen bring resolution to the poorly handled security case, and an offer to you for another 7 day cruise in a delux verandah cabin at inside cabin fare.

If Celebrity is reading, I often struggle between HAL and Celebrity sailings. Often I choose HAL based solely on price. Perhaps I need to reconsider that point of view. I don't want spend my hard earned vacation money and risk undergoing what CHannah had to experience.

I actually tend to be very supportive of an agency that goes above and beyond to offer resolution.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your story,

Steven
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions.

I too, wish we could have gotten better results regarding the employee. Of all the incidents that took place, and tho I have pictures of the room, I feel that the incident involving my son was most tramatic and should have been dealt with differently. Tho, we had all these incidents take place we did enjoy the ports and tried to handle it like adults and not keep harping on it in front of my son so he could enjoy this trip. We met with the hotel manager and security supervisor the following day on the cruise, and although they were professional and polite it did no good, they did not want to be bothered looking through the photo's to see if they could find the female that battered my son. We were advised that if we saw her again we were to contact security ASAP, we did see her when we were in port getting off the boat and advised security as she had just left the ship and her photo would have been documented as she exited. That also did no good. I asked security the policy on violence on the ship and they advised they had a zero tolerance, and that if she did anything AGAIN, she would have to be disembarked. (???? AGAIN???? Doesn't sound like zero tolerance to me)

I guess my reason for posting all this, is exactly like Nurse Debra said, I didn't feel we should just "roll over and take it" so I am doing everything I can to let cruisers know the type of cruise line Celebrity really is if an issue should arise. At this point, I don't feel Celebrity will ever handle this appropriately.

I did file a complaint with the BBB and Consumer Affairs, as well as several websites such as complaints.com, epinions.com and a few others. But, am going to try the other suggestions as well. So, thank you for them!
You are so very welcome. When you mentioned that the security chief said that "Celebrity had a zero tolerance for violence" and if your son was assaulted again, the next time Celebrity would take action, is nothing more than a bad joke. To me, those kinds of statements are an insult to anyone's intelligence, but are also an indication of the arrogance that I believe does exist at Celebrity.

If you have time you will find some very interesting similarities in how Celebrity went about handling a serious problem on my last cruise. While my experience on a Celebrity cruise was not as serious as the assault on your son, you will note remarkable similarities in how Celebrity handled our situation, with the cover-ups, lies and distortions that ensued. My review is in the Reader Review section on the May 7, 2006 Summit cruise.

Most every cruise line offers good food and good service, but in my opinion what really separates the good ones from the bad is how they handle serious problems when they develop and their commitment to provide a good cruising environment. Since you have experienced what I refer to as the "Celebrity treatment", when there is a real problem, I would be interested in hearing thoughts from someone who has been there.

Good Luck and the best advice I can offer is to not give up, because that is what Celebrity counts on in these situations.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old July 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Would you please post the cabin number? Since I am sailing on the Millenneum in November, I want to be sure it's not the one I have booked... or even near it.
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default Re: Unbelievable experience on Celebrity

Quote:
Sorry you had such a lousy experience. Let me get this straight.. The reason that you took so long to post was that you were waiting to hear from Celebrity? You just hovered around this site for 3 months, then registered to post when you did you get a response? Your "10yo son was physically assaulted (yes, punched in the chest!) by another guest who was an under age, extremely intoxicated female. " How do you know that she was underage? Did you see her proof of age? Was she 10? 12? 14? 17? How do you know how old she was?

Sorry, something is not right here. This whole story must have more to it.
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Admiral

richsea wrote
Quote:
You just hovered around this site for 3 months, then registered to post when you did you get a response?
Many people "lurk" on message boards to get a feel for them and only post when they have something important to say or need to express themselves. Others are more effusive with their comments. Why register unless you are going to post.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke
richsea,
get real !!!! If security had done it's job you wouldn't have to ask that question. Did you bother to look at the posted pictures ? Everything the poster said was true.
Even your friend Norm hasn't been able to defend Celebrity on this one.
Sorry:

I agree with Rich, you are making a determination based upon hearing only ONE side of the story. I also am not impressed with the pictures because I seem to have seen them elsewhere. I can't be certain of that
but I'm throwing it out there for what it's worth. How do you know that "everything the poster said was true."

I was also in Law Enforcement for 30 years and there is no way someone with any experience would allow what happened to occur and walk away from it.

Please don't come back with calling me a cheerleader as I have come on here and made numerous negative comments about Celebrity but Rich is correct. None of this story makes sense.

The Celebrity detractors have jumped on this as usual.

Don
Old July 31st, 2008, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Channah,

Part of effective complaint resolution is to know your desired outcome and then working with the appropriate person to resolve it (as mentioned in an earlier post). You say have have managed to escalate your issue a couple of times, but to little avail - what do you want from Celebrity? The people who answer the phones usually have little power they are first level support people and can often do little more than documenting your complaint. Calling repeatedly really only annoys them and won't get you much more than ignored.

I know that when you have more than one bad incident with any provider whether it is a cruise line or hot dog vendor the annoyance factor is exponential rather than additive. But you need to look at each incident separately rather than together and think about what the crew did, should have done, and what you expect Celebrity to do for you now.

First the condition of the room when you embarked. When you add each of the items, carpet, mold, linens, it looks pretty bad. You say the room steward sprayed something - did that kill the mold? Did they replace the damaged items (pillow case, shower curtain)? Since you were with a group you were understandably unwilling to relocate. What else could have been done at this point?

The incident you described with you son and female passenger does not sound like it was handled properly by the crew. Without that crewman's name I doubt that Celebrity will hang anyone from the yardarm. All they can really do is apologize profusely.

Regarding the balcony being painted with stinky paint. Cruise lines must do this kind of routine maintenance during cruises to keep ships afloat and available for us to cruise when and where we want. If you look carefully they are always doing some sort of maintenance while the ship is in port. Unfortunately you don't know that before you cruise.

Finally, were the food options other than what Celebrity advertised? If it was not what you expected that is something you need to work out with your travel agent.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:32 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke
richsea,
get real !!!! If security had done it's job you wouldn't have to ask that question. Did you bother to look at the posted pictures ? Everything the poster said was true.
Even your friend Norm hasn't been able to defend Celebrity on this one.
Norm is not my friend. I don't even know Norm. Yes, I did bother to look at the pictures. I saw some stains. I've seen mold in bathrooms before & when I advised the attendant, it was taken care of. I certainly did not run around the room with my camera taking pictures of it.

I didn't say that everything the poster said was not true, but something just does not sound right. I feel that there is more to this story. You say that everything the poster said is true. How do you know that? Were you there on the ship with the poster?

I am stating my opinion, to which I am entitled, as you are to yours. Or maybe I'm entitled to my opinion only if agrees with yours.
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Passenger

CHANNAH,

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I will think twice before I book a cruise with them. The room was disgusting!!!!!!! I'm sorry about the trouble your son had too.

Thanks again,

Lynda
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD
Would you please post the cabin number? Since I am sailing on the Millenneum in November, I want to be sure it's not the one I have booked... or even near it.
channah,
I'm still waiting on the cabin number. I'll even see if I can check it out to see if it's been fixed up and report back. 8)
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: OK - let's review what was reported here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
Channah brought to light some things that I feel have been going on for a long time with Celebrity. Since a small band of posters have attacked Channah, just as they have tried to do with me, I may as well voice my opinion of some of the points mentioned here:

The original poster reported that their stateroom had mold and mildew in the bathroom, torn and shredded shower curtains, no AC, holes in carpet, and most important of all their son was physically assaulted with no action taken by Celebrity. Celebrity also did not even have the common courtesy to respond after the incident.

If you read the responses from the Celebrity cheerleaders you will note not one word of any of those things reported by the OP should not have been allowed to happen. Instead we get only responses, from a small group, trying to dis-credit everything that Channah reported. Comments like the following: "the poster waited too long to post", "the poster is a new poster", "something is not right here", "it never happened to me".

As if the above responses are not slightly suspect the following sarcastic responses were also included by this same band of posters: (1) "funny how your title fits", (2) "none of the story makes sense", (3) I have seen those pictures before poster's cruise", and (4) was the assailant 10 ,12,14,16 or 17?".
The above comments do speak for themselves but a few of those comments do deserve a response:
(1) I thought the title of this thread fit the situations perfectly.
(2) I don't have a PhD, but the story made perfect sense too me.
(3) I have also seen many similar pictures from various Celebrity cruise on different ships.
(4) I think most any parent can tell the difference between a ten year old and a seventeen year old.

Now, outside of Channah, none of us were there, but some of the Celebrity cheerleaders try to say that they know about facts that they can not know, unless they have special powers that I am not aware of, simply because they too, were NOT there!

While these same posters start threads suggesting that readers buy Celebrity stock to get a small onboard credit or start threads that direct readers to Celebrity press releases about new money making ideas from Celebrity such as a "soap cruise". These kind of posts and given the tone of posts by this small band of posters, just do not sound like your normal Joe cruiser, but rather sound like something far different too me.

Stepping off my soap box now , but enough of this behavior is enough!

Thanks again Channah, for telling your story and best of luck with all your future cruises.

Debra
I made the comment about seeing the pictures before which I believe I have. You take what the OP states on absolute face value but my comment is just passed over by you. I can't prove it at this point but neither can the the OP. I think you are doing what you say we have done. I suppose we shouldn't post at all.

The Celebrity DETRACTORS (as opposed to Cheerleaders) should relaize that anyone can make up a story and put it on the boards. You know this story to be true because...... I have only said we should all realize there are two sides to every story.

At least our posts show both sides and criticize Celebrity where needed. Yours do not. Who is being fair...Certainly not you...

Don
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Personal attacks are a violation of our Terms of Service agreement.

You can discuss the TOPIC of the thread , and chose to debate whatever side of the issue you like, but personal comments about those views are NOT allowed. Those types of exchanges are of little use to anyone, and this site is about supplying useful information!