Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Beginner

Default water on board

One of my co-workers took a case of bottled water on her Alaska cruise. She packed an extra bag to acomodate the water. Her reason was that the on-board drinking water was highly chlorinated and the cost for a bottle of water was very high. Any comments from experienced cruisers? Is this a good idea?
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: water on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by california girl
One of my co-workers took a case of bottled water on her Alaska cruise. She packed an extra bag to accommodate the water. Her reason was that the on-board drinking water was highly chlorinated and the cost for a bottle of water was very high. Any comments from experienced cruisers? Is this a good idea?
What ship are you sailing?

I have never noticed a chlorine taste in any ship's water. Actually on almost all cruises, except Century and Statendam, the water was better than any bottled water I have had. It is possible they could have chlorinated the water to clean the piping.

I personally do not recommend taking bottled water. Perhaps someone who has recently sailed your ship could comment.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: water on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Quote:
Originally Posted by california girl
One of my co-workers took a case of bottled water on her Alaska cruise. She packed an extra bag to accommodate the water. Her reason was that the on-board drinking water was highly chlorinated and the cost for a bottle of water was very high. Any comments from experienced cruisers? Is this a good idea?
What ship are you sailing?

I have never noticed a chlorine taste in any ship's water. Actually on almost all cruises, except Century and Statendam, the water was better than any bottled water I have had. It is possible they could have chlorinated the water to clean the piping.

I personally do not recommend taking bottled water. Perhaps someone who has recently sailed your ship could comment.

Take care,
Mike
I agree with Mike completely, never had a problem with the tap water on board.

Don
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
Beginner

Default water

The ship is the Celebrity Millennium. How does a ship get the drinking water needed for 2000+ people for 8 days?
I thought I might get a Brita filter; the idea of hauling water seems ludicrous. Thanks for your response.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Water on board ship

Modern cruise ships have desalination units which make all the fresh water that that the ship requires for operations.
Engineers have designed the system to allow the desalination of water to insure the fresh water holding tanks can ensure maximum use by passengers during peek usage.
All water and tanks are monitored for bacteria by a designated officer on the ship.
The quality of the water is very good.
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Water on board

Hi there,

I don't blame your friend for bringing bottled water on the ship. Water in the ship is stored in their tanks for I-don't-know-how-many-days long, so it's a good idea to bring your own or buy the bottled water on board.

I for one NEVER use the sink water for brushing my teeth or drinking from it, I use bottled water, even though they say the water is filtered, chlorine-I don't think so!

Hope this helps.
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The tap water on the ships is actually more purified than bottled water.

Take a "water bottle" with you, and simply fill it whenever you like, either in the cabin, or at the drink stations in the buffet restaurants.
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Water on board

redi2cruise,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hi there,

I don't blame your friend for bringing bottled water on the ship. Water in the ship is stored in their tanks for I-don't-know-how-many-days long, so it's a good idea to bring your own or buy the bottled water on board.
The water actually is not stored for more than a day or so. The standard practice is to cycle through the tanks, using the water from them in the order in which they fill them. They also add a very small amount of chemicals to ensure that there's nothing unhealthy growing in the water. And even with the small amount of chemicals, the water from the taps aboard ship is much purer (Grade B*) than whatever brand of somebody else's tap water you are buying in bottles (Grade C*).

For those who don't know, the water grading system is as follows:

>> Grade A = Distilled and Demineralized (<0.5 units of impurities)

>> Grade B = Distilled (<5 units of impurities)

>> Grade C = Potable (Tap or Bottled) Water (<350 units of impurities)

Aboard ship, Grade A water is reserved for use in nuclear reactors and steam plants while Grade B is used for drinking and cooking. Tap water ashore and bottled water must be Grade C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I for one NEVER use the sink water for brushing my teeth or drinking from it, I use bottled water, even though they say the water is filtered, chlorine-I don't think so!
Seriously, this is completely unnecessary! If there's any problem at all with the ship's water, it might taste bland because it's so pure.

Norm.