Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Passenger

Default WRINKLE DECREASER - DOES IT WORK?

Has anyone tried a spray-on bottle wrinkle decreaser? ( i will not mention brand name not knowing if that is acceptable or not?) What is your experience with it? or do you pay E5.00 every time you need something ironed? or another option wear it with the wrinkles - Just kidding!!!!
Old August 2nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Admiral

We have successfully used Downey Wrinkle Releaser on many cruises. It is good for quick touch ups from travel but not meant to do a whole article of clothing. We just found it in travel size at Target for our upcoming cruise.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Admiral

I have had mixed results. If there is no self-serve laundry, I'll send my tux out to be pressed.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If you use dry cleaner bags, or bubble pack, between layers of your clothes in the suitcase, that will help alot to cut down on wrinkles..I too, have hed mixed results, with the spray.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 4th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Passenger

Thanks guys for your great feedback!

Gina
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Passenger

I would not cruise with out it. , It is not as good as a pressing or even a good steaming by hanging and item in the bathroom while using the showere, but its is great for taking some of the packing wrinkles out of things like t-shirts and shorts and other casual wear so you don't look sloppy during the day.

I always pack the Downey Wrinkle Release and the Tide To Go pen.
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

We bring a portable steamer too-after doing a lot of research on the best for travel, found this one: http://www.travel-steamers.com/

I haven't had any luck with the spray wrinkel release, and we do send out Tuxedos to be pressed and shirts that are badly in need of it. It's not too costly I don't think. The portable steamer is great, lightweight and a great little investment for travel, especially cruising. We spend about an hour as soon as we're unpacking in our stateroom and plug it in!
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Captain

We have not had much luck with the "wrinkle release" spray. My advice would be to use a portable steamer, as the previous posters recommend. They do come in quite handy!
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Beginner

I would love to take my steamer on our transatlantic cruise on Constellation but read it would not be allowed. I don't want to have it taken away from me. Don't know how I would get along without it. I have always taken it on cruises.
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood Duchess
I would love to take my steamer on our transatlantic cruise on Constellation but read it would not be allowed. I don't want to have it taken away from me. Don't know how I would get along without it. I have always taken it on cruises.
Dogwood Duchess, I don't know what to say. We just finished our Transatlantic on the Constellation last September (what a wonderful experience and had no problems with our steamer. They won't "steal" it from you, if by some far off chance they take it away, it will be returned to you...maybe put it in your Carry-On bag? Ive never heard of this being confiscated from a passenger.

I did not know portable steamers were not allowed. We have always brought along our portable steamer. In fact, most every couple we brought up the "wrinkled clothes" conversation with, they too, brought portable steamers. I do know that irons are not allowed, but not steamers.

Celebrity does not have access to an iron or an ironing board...so I guess this was one "vice" we will continue with. There's nothing like unpacking all of your clothes, formal and every-day, and running the steamer over them for a few seconds. Does a world of good, and saves a ton of money.

Have fun on your transatlantic!!! Looks like we'll be on our cruise just a couple of days after you.
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Beginner

That relives my mind.
Hope you have a great cruise as well.
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Admiral

On our last cruise we tried the dry cleaning bags between items and it worked perfect!! We never had to use our DWR spray. I cut one bag into 4 pieces then threw them away once on the ship. I can't wait to try this for our TA cruise.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:24 AM
First Mate

We too have taken a small steamer on our last 3 cruises (X, Princess, RCCL), and intend to do so on our Constellation cruise next week. We never worried that it would be confiscated. It works well on wrinkles, especially on those tropical shirts that are silk or linen. Won't put a knife edge crease on anything, but that's not the intent.

Sid1962
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:37 PM
First Mate

we take our wrinkle releaser stuff.....works better on some things than others....but if you figure out what you want to wear the night before, get it pretty wet with the stuff and gently tug it into shape it helps.

i've used it on khakis and tee shirts or stuff made out of tee shirt material.....

(but i don't like the sprayer on the travel size, the regular trigger type sprayer works better....and i bought another typer of sprayer that worked better.....it was in the sample size section at target....
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:28 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid1962
We too have taken a small steamer on our last 3 cruises (X, Princess, RCCL), and intend to do so on our Constellation cruise next week. We never worried that it would be confiscated. It works well on wrinkles, especially on those tropical shirts that are silk or linen. Won't put a knife edge crease on anything, but that's not the intent.

Sid1962
Exactly...no need for a knife edge crease. We're on vacation! Have fun on the Connie next week. That's our favorite ship.
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: WRINKLE DECREASER - DOES IT WORK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funinthesun
Has anyone tried a spray-on bottle wrinkle decreaser? ( i will not mention brand name not knowing if that is acceptable or not?) What is your experience with it? or do you pay E5.00 every time you need something ironed? or another option wear it with the wrinkles - Just kidding!!!!
I take a spray bottle of the stuff with me (actually, I put some in a smaller bottle). Yes, it does work, but not like an iron -- it helps on the lighter wrinkles. I spray and then hang in the bathroom with a hot shower running to create lots of steam, and viola! Sometimes I just steam -- it depends on how bad the wrinkles are. Also, I pack using cleaner bags -- a layer and then a cleaner plastic bag, then another layer, and another bag. Hubby's suit, fold with a plastic bag inside, under and over. This keeps my clothes so wrinkle free, that I hardly need to do a thing on most trips. Of course, if you have a lengthy flight, like overseas, and your clothes are mushed for a longer time, you will have more wrinkles. Hubby is picky, so he will send a suit coat out to be pressed, but that hasn't happened for a long time -- mostly it was his tux that would require that. I think the material is different.

One last thought, I love the slinky line of travel clothes (Chico's sort of started it, but even discount retailers like Wal Mart and K Mart picked up on it). The material will not wrinkle even if you roll it in a ball, and it packs like nothing. Jackets, skirts, pants, capri's, gaucho's -- for long trips, they make a huge difference in packing.

I do have a portable steamer, but it takes up too much room in my suitcase, so have yet to take it with me, but my sister used it on her Alaskan cruise, and liked it.