Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Beginner

Default Starboard Cabin for Southbound Alaska on Millennium ???

Well, I might have goofed. I booked our second cruise yesterday (Southbound Alaska on Millennium) and spent the extra money on the balcony cabin. We are as far back as you can get without being in the family cabin. They had nothing left on the port side.

Aside from the fact that I get seasick and shouldn't have a cabin that high up and that far back , can anyone tell me if we are going to spend our whole cruise wishing we were on the other side of the ship? I hope not, I'm really looking forward to this. We leave next month. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Starboard Cabin for Southbound Alaska on Millennium ???

ilovetexas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Well, I might have goofed. I booked our second cruise yesterday (Southbound Alaska on Millennium) and spent the extra money on the balcony cabin. We are as far back as you can get without being in the family cabin. They had nothing left on the port side.

Aside from the fact that I get seasick and shouldn't have a cabin that high up and that far back , can anyone tell me if we are going to spend our whole cruise wishing we were on the other side of the ship? I hope not, I'm really looking forward to this. We leave next month. Thanks for any advice.
It's up to you. I would book an inside cabin and be greatful that I had enough spare cash and vacation time to be aboard the ship. And in reality, there are plenty of comfortable lounges with plenty of big windows and promenades on both sides of the ship so you can take in whatever vistas you wish on either side, regardless of the location of your cabin. But if you prefer to spend the whole cruise lamenting the fact that you don't have your "dream" cabin, making yourself and those around you miserable the whole time... well, I can't stop you from doing that.

As to views, a lot depends where the ship happens to be.

>> On the second day, crossing the Gulf of Alaska, any visible land will be on the port side. OTOH, the starboard side may well offer better views of whales and other marine life as well as unobstructed horizon.

>> Most of the glaciers are in inlets or fjords, where the ship has to turn around to go back out to sea. Thus, one side gets to see the glaciers going in and the other side gets to see the glaciers going out. If there's a narration over the PA system, however, it's most likely that they will give the detailed version on the way in and just mention what you are passing on the way out.

>> During the ports of call on the third through sixth days of the cruise, the location of your cabin really won't matter because you won't be there anyway. Well, unless crabbing about a bad cabin has left you too disgusted to go ashore....

>> On the seventh day, there will be land on both sides most of the way if the ship follows the inside passage. Ships that shun the inside passage in favor of open waters usually go out far enough so land is out of sight, or at least far enough away so you won't see much anyway.

And for viewing marine life, the promenades provide a better location than the balconies because they are lower and thus much closer to the water.

So overall, I don't think that choice of cabin really matters all that much.

Norm.
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Passenger

Hello we went on the Alaska Millenium Cruise in July. We were on the left hand side of the ship (going north).
We did have an ocean view cabin. However, due to the fact that we dont stay much IN the cabin..more so on this itinerary because it is a 'colder' cruise, we saw a lot of scenery.
In addition, this is mostly an inside passage cruise, therefore you see views on either side. By the time we were sailing on the open ocean we were 'tired; of the scenersy so to speak.