Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Beginner

Default Impressions of dress o Aug1 Celebrity Med cruise

hello all,
To start....we were told there would be two formal nights...there were three, which annoyed us because we were prepared for two.
For the most part, people did dress in smart casual. Some outfits were smarter than others but only a few had on tee shirts. One night I saw two men refused entry. He had on shorts, Hawaiian shirt and flipflops..one had on some band shirt and jeans. I liked that they were turned away.
As the cruise went on the dress became less smart on the part of the men. The women, except for some late teen females, were dressed very well. Suits prevailed compared to tuxedos and some Scots wore formal kilts, which was interesting as I have never seen a person wearing a kilt save for the NYC st. Patrick's Day Parade.
Personally, I liked the overall cruise except for the formal nights. I would have prefered to wear a dark blazer and an open shirt. I do not find it relaxing to put on a suit and tie, eat a full meal , walk around the ship then go to the later show. Also, the Glaxaxy had no alternative real restaurant, except for the Bistro, which allowed "come as you are". We ate there once but the food was only "fair'. One night it was hot all over the ship so I changed to shorts, polo shirt and wore that to the 9:15 show. No one glared. I was cooler and comfortable and that is what mattered at the time. As the show went on , it got hotter.
I enjoyed the Celebrity cruise but hope in the future the "smart casual" becomes the prevailing dress code and if one wants to wear a tuxedo, suit, dinner jacket etc then may at their own discretion.
Also "smart casual" is open to interpretation. Some men wore plaid button down shirts, others wore long sleeved solid shirts. some , like myself wore outside the pants dressy camp style shirts, some wore Izod type shirts , some hawaiian print shirts etc etc. What is smart casual in Iowa isn't the same as smart casual in NYC or Boston. I think " business casual" is a better term, but I do'nt own a cruise line, so I will follow smart casual
just my nickel's worth
Frank
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Impressions of dress o Aug1 Celebrity Med cruise

Frank,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I enjoyed the Celebrity cruise but hope in the future the "smart casual" becomes the prevailing dress code and if one wants to wear a tuxedo, suit, dinner jacket etc then may at their own discretion.
There are several cruise lines that offer an "all casual" cruise product including Disney Cruises, Oceania Cruises, and Azamara Cruises (which is actually operated by Celebrity Cruises). If you really prefer to not to have "formal" evenings, check out these lines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Also "smart casual" is open to interpretation. Some men wore plaid button down shirts, others wore long sleeved solid shirts. some , like myself wore outside the pants dressy camp style shirts, some wore Izod type shirts , some hawaiian print shirts etc etc. What is smart casual in Iowa isn't the same as smart casual in NYC or Boston. I think " business casual" is a better term, but I do'nt own a cruise line, so I will follow smart casual
Traditional social etiquette actually does not define the term "smart casual" (or, for that matter, "business casual" or "country club casual" or any of the other variations of "casual" that one now encounters). In the world of cruising, Princess introduced the term "smart casual" around 2000 or so with a description that was identical to the previous description of "casual" evening dress, apparently with the hope that it would discourage jeans, "T" shirts, and other inappropriate attire. Alas, some people have misconstrued this term to mean that gentlemen must wear sportcoats -- which may well be the explanation that Royal Caribbean International first provided when that line adopted the term. It's a classic scenario of non-standard terminology causing confusion....

Norm.