Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Passenger

Default Celebrity Ended Carrying Trays In Casual Eating Area?

A good morning

Is it true that Celebrity has ended the practice of carrying trays in the casual pool deck area?

I hope not as it was a truly distinguishing feature of Celebrity, one I adored.

Thank you very much
ABoatNerd
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

While we have had staff offer to carry trays in the Buffet areas of Celebrity ships, after many Celebrity cruises, I can't remember anyone offering to carry trays in the pool area. But come to think of it, on our last cruises (May '08), I do not recall anyone offering to carry trays in the buffet either. I never really gave it a second thought. While I agree, it is a nice gesture, I usually turn them down & carry my own. I just feel kind od goofy having someone carry my tray
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:52 PM
First Mate

I wouldn't want anyone carrying my tray for me. That's just not right for someone to carry my tray, I'm quite capable myself.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Girl
I wouldn't want anyone carrying my tray for me. That's just not right for someone to carry my tray, I'm quite capable myself.
I feel the same way and always politely refused the offer on Holland America. But yet there are a lot of good folks who can really use a hand in the buffet ... people trying to maneuver with canes and whatnot ... and I'd hate to see them not have it.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Passenger

Hello

I have just come of the Summit 8th sep Barcelona, and no one offered to carry mine at any time, i disagree with some who say they dont want any body carring there trays, myself thought the jesture was very nice weather i took the offer or declined, also they have stopped the grand buffee on the summit, shame it was a wow factor and hundreds used to line up to take photos!

I was on galaxy this march and they did both.

Overall i had a great cruise

Regards May
Old September 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
First Mate

[quote="MayMayMay"]Hello

I have just come of the Summit 8th sep Barcelona, and no one offered to carry mine at any time, i disagree with some who say they dont want any body carring there trays, myself thought the jesture was very nice weather i took the offer or declined, also they have stopped the grand buffee on the summit, shame it was a wow factor and hundreds used to line up to take photos!

Overall i had a great cruise

Regards May[/quot I agree that it is a nice gesture but one that I usually turn down. Yes, it would be a shame if it has been discontinued.
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Beginner

[quote="richsea"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMayMay
Hello
I have just come of the Summit 8th sep Barcelona, and no one offered to carry mine at any time also they have stopped the grand buffee on the summit, shame it was a wow factor and hundreds used to line up to take photos!
It may depend on who the Hotel Manger-Exec Chef is/were. Some may implement higher morale and attention to detail than others.

I read some good news on the Buffet front on an X vessel (maybe the Summit?):
They had a big, beautiful brunch on a sea-day instead-- ice sculptures and all -- because more people were (awake to be) attending.
Much bigger turnout, and much less food and work wasted. They saw that too many people were apparently still full from late dinner to really enjoy the late buffet.
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Beginner

[quote="FS121215"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMayMay
Hello
I have just come of the Summit 8th sep Barcelona, and no one offered to carry mine at any time also they have stopped the grand buffee on the summit, shame it was a wow factor and hundreds used to line up to take photos!
Trays: It may depend on who the Hotel Mangers were. Some HMs may implement higher morale and attention to detail than others.

I read some good news on the Buffet front on an X vessel (maybe the Summit?):
They had a big, beautiful brunch on a sea-day instead-- ice sculptures and all -- because more people were (awake to be) attending.
Much bigger turnout, and much less food and work wasted. They also saw that too many people were apparently still full from late dinner to really enjoy the late buffet.
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Passenger

Hello yes they did have a nice brunch at one of the sea days, but it was NO Grand Buffee!
We cruisers pay a lot of money for our trips and expect something in return.
I don't think the G Buffee should be left out, but more of worked in at a time to suit everyone, maybe replace one evening meal to the buffee? What do you think let me no.

I don't want to appear negative because we had a great cruise on the summit and will always cruise with celebrity

Regards May
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Beginner

Not negative at all They are looked forward to as a highlight on every cruise. Very appreciative to folks like you who speak up and give their honest views from all angles I'd be totally in the dark if not for these communities!
Just wanted to pass the brunch info because I saw where somebody reported how nice the Brunch was -- a silver lining maybe.

We were too full after having late seating (in Alaska) and a couple of us just picked lightly and took pictures of GB. Must admit we did feel bad that we weren't hungry, though. Two out of 6 of us were already in bed so they only had pictures to see later

That's a good idea! Push it up a little earlier near dinnertime and give the dining room a break while they're at it.
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Passenger

We just back from Infinity to Alaska. The practice of carrying trays was no where to be seen. It seems they have stopped the practice on this ship.

Roy.
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Passenger

What no tray service and no Grand Buffee! what next?

I have seen a cut back in staff over the last few years. i hope i'm not forced to jump ship!!!
Old September 15th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Passenger

We're not going on Celebrity anymore. The cutbacks and overall decline in quality doesn't give them an edge anymore. We're just going to have to step it up and look towards lines like Crystal, Regent, Windstar... It may cost more but the whole reason we chose Celebrity was for the little extra's.
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Pattizoo

I rather like the idea of a Grand Brunch vs. trying to really enjoy all those goodies in the middle of the night!! Even with early dinner, I cannot begin to do justice to all the wonderful things on the Grand Buffet. I would much rather enjoy a big fancy brunch. I can't afford anything so fancy at home, so it would be a real treat! I could make a feast out of a good brunch!!
We are exactly one week from our first Celebrity cruise (Millenium, last pass at Alaska and on to San Diego), so we shall see what happens. Last time on Carnival there WAS no Grand Buffet of any sort. I was very disappointed. There were 2 of them on our extended Princess cruise last year. I think we skipped the 2nd one, after 20+ days, food just wasn't as big a priority anymore!
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Passenger

Default Celebrity Ending Carrying Trays in Casual Dining area

Thank you for the responses to my post.

Another sign of the end of the original Celebrity branded experience

To those who want to ignore or make light of this item...

I have travelled Celebrity since 1992. Back then your dining room service was top notch with entree served and a trolly with a heavy silver serving dish was wheeled to your table - you could choose from 4 "sides" which was graciously placed on your plate. WOW

It was special to be on Celebrity, other cruisers knew it, you would be asked ashore what it was like on Celebrity - For many years, I felt very proud to be a Celebrity guest.

Celebrity used to market their line as a bit above the others and utilizing a "European" service style, this meant:

1) Female guests were asked their order first
2) Female guests had their trays carried for them on the casual eating area

While I appreciate times have changed and we are sliding down the ladder into casual everything, the point is this..

The small things that signified Celebrity are disappearing.

That is OK if you don't care OR have no history related to this cruise line - but for others like myself it is the coffin lid closing a little bit more on the "old" Celebrity experience.

Fortunately, Crystal et al is more than available for folks like myself.

Hope Celebrity continues to survive and maybe thrives.

I will watch via these excellent boards

Happy and Safe Cruising
ABoatNerd
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Very well said !!! I agree with you 100%.
Bob
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Passenger

+1 8)
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Celebrity Ending Carrying Trays in Casual Dining area

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoatNerd

I have travelled Celebrity since 1992. Back then your dining room service was top notch with entree served and a trolly with a heavy silver serving dish was wheeled to your table - you could choose from 4 "sides" which was graciously placed on your plate. WOW

It was special to be on Celebrity, other cruisers knew it, you would be asked ashore what it was like on Celebrity - For many years, I felt very proud to be a Celebrity guest.

Celebrity used to market their line as a bit above the others and utilizing a "European" service style, this meant:

While I appreciate times have changed and we are sliding down the ladder into casual everything, the point is this..

That is OK if you don't care OR have no history related to this cruise line - but for others like myself it is the coffin lid closing a little bit more on the "old" Celebrity experience.

Happy and Safe Cruising
ABoatNerd
ABoatNerd, I agree with you.

Our 1st cruise on X was in 1996, it was indeed the small details that you cite that most impressed us with Celebrity. Some others, like the asst. waiter offering fresh ground pepper, 1/2 & 1/2 in the Oasis Cafe (now replaced with non-dairy creamer). the gradual erosion of the Captain's Club benefits; even the rich pillow chocolates are now some form of a lesser chocolate.

I understand that everything changes over time, & I do not pay much heed to those who return from a cruise with the "everything was horrible & the ship was filthy", but there comes a point when a company eliminates enough of the details that set it apart that it becomes just one of many.

While, for now at least, Celebrity continues to be our line of choice, we find that we now seriously consider other lines such as Princess or Holland America when looking for a cruise. Unfortunately, our budget does not allow for a luxury line such as Crystal, so we'll be content with what fits our pocketbook.

Happy cruising!
Old October 9th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Pattizoo

We just got home from 14 days on the Millennium, Alaska to San Diego. We had a lovely time; the weather was exceptionally fine for all but one port of call. No complaints there at all.

This was our first cruise with Celebrity. Whatever used to be premium about Celebrity must have gone by the wayside. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't BAD- but it was certainly nothing exceptional either.

No one ever offered to carry a tray or help us find a table in the overcrowded Lido deck at breakfast and lunchtime.
Service in the dining room was acceptable, but a little slow. The food was good to very good, but again, not exceptional.
We were very disappointed at the lack of choices available in the Ocean Grill. Same choices every day- pasta, sushi, pizza and stir-fry. Same sandwiches, same pizza. The lines were a problem there as well. If you did not choose to eat in the dining room, it got old fast.
There was a big brunch buffet the last sea day, a fruit and ice cream/sorbet buffet one night and a Gala Buffet another. I believe there was also a choclate lover's special one night. The brunch was lovely, but certainly not something that would replace a Gala Buffet in most people's minds. The fruit and sorbet event was nice but limited in it's offerings. I had to pass on the Gala Buffet and the Chocolate one- I was just too tired to stay up that late!
The one very bright spot was the outstanding service and food in the Olympic Restaurant. Wow! THAT was exceptional all the way around!

We spoke with a number of people who had sailed with Celebrity in the past who said it was very different from their previous experiences. They were also rather let down by their experience on this cruise. More than a few said they were going to shop elsewhere for their next cruise. I am afraid I wasn't impressed enough to choose Celebrity for any future cruises I may take, at least not at a premium price.
Old October 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Familiar Face

I agree with a lot of those who enjoyed seeing the Grand Buffet. But after 34 cruises we don't even go look at it anymore. The problem is, very few people ever eat there. They may have a small bite of dessert or something. That's a lot of food & a lot of man hours to see most of that get thrown away. Some of it I'm sure gets recycled to another meal, but alot of it doesn't.
We will be on the Solstice Maiden Voyage Nov. 23. I'm looking forward to seeing the brunch. At least that I know I can enjoy eating ( one of my favorite things to do HA HA.)

Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Default Carrying of Trays

We were on the t/a Constellation and there was ALWAYS a waiter offering to help carry our tray in the buffet area.....The problem was finding a table...The brunch was to me a complete waste... Heard that it was getting a warm reception..
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Captain

This thread got a little off-course, but as the OP asked, no, it's not true. Trays are permitted in the pool / casual area.

Parrot Mom was on the same cruise as we were, (Constellation Med Transatlantic) and trays galore are in the area. As she stated, it's sometimes difficult to find a table.

The staff is very helpful and courteous...if they see you struggling with a backpack, tray, etc. they will come right up to you to assist.
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Celebrity Ending Carrying Trays in Casual Dining area

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoatNerd

Happy and Safe Cruising
ABoatNerd

I totally agree with you. We are Elite members and have had it. We booked a Princess cruise. Might as well save some money if Celebrity does not offer a better product anymore. I would also not recommend Celebrity to my friends anymore, like I used to. Someone actually said on another blog that they thought Carnival food was better than Celebrity now!
Old October 25th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Can tell you have never been on a Celebrity cruise, it's one of things that used to let you know that you were on a special cruiseline
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:10 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired
Quote:
Can tell you have never been on a Celebrity cruise, it's one of things that used to let you know that you were on a special cruiseline
No I haven't cruised Celebrity, but I think it's crazy to have someone do something for me that I am perfectly capable of doing. Besides, the poor guy would be following me around with my tray for 10-15 minutes until I found where I wanted to sit.

It sounds like most of the cruisers on Celebrity are quite a bit older than I am and expect more done for them. By the way, I'm 55.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Familiar Face

A few years back we were on The Celebrity Summit. I went to the buffet area to get some food to take back to the room. One of the waiters went to take my tray & I said thank you, but I'm taking it to my room for my husband & I. He said, no problem ma'am. He followed me to the elevator to go to our deck. Walked down the hall & set in on the table & asked if there was anything else he could do. I remember thinking how cool that was.

Old October 25th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired
Quote:
No I haven't cruised Celebrity, but I think it's crazy to have someone do something for me that I am perfectly capable of doing. Besides, the poor guy would be following me around with my tray for 10-15 minutes until I found where I wanted to sit.

It sounds like most of the cruisers on Celebrity are quite a bit older than I am and expect more done for them. By the way, I'm 55.
Has nothing to do with ability to carry them or your age. At least most on this thread get it..

Don
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Default Age of Cruisers

On a trans-atlantic which we prefer we find cruisers of all ages..If the fact that a cruise line doesnt have waiters at buffets at your beckon call to carry your tray is a criteria for going on Celebrity. well, then.. perhaps you should look upwards to a more high end luxury ship(Oceania, Azamaria, Regent, etc). Service on the three fourteen day plus Celebrity cruises we have taken have been in almost every instance outstanding (Century, Galaxy, Constitution)..On each of these ships I can write about a particular person or persons who has gone out of their way to make our cruise memorable. Parrot Pop does walk with a cane and there is always somebody at his elbow wanting to take his tray.. Being 55 has nothing to do with age..it's your attitude and how you treat the staff and your fellow cruisers.. Personally, I dont like hanging around with OLD people and as Triton may tell you we are not spring chickens..
Old October 26th, 2008, 09:01 AM
First Mate

I can understand wanting and needing the help if you are unable to carry the tray yourself. If you use a cane, crutches or a scooter, I can see the staff helping with the tray.

For me, I would feel like I was using a service I didn't need. Let them help someone who actually needs it.

So, I do get it.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Old October 26th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Passenger

We're just back from Infinity - and they do still offer to carry your trays in the buffet area. They also were helpful in finding empty tables. I imagine after they make a few circuits around the room - they know where there are empty tables - or signs of a table opening.
In talking with other cruisers - we agreed that some people are never pleased - "never cruise Celebrity again"
We enjoy the Celebrity experience - and will continue to book our cruises accordingly.