Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Familiar Face

Default Jackets for Smart Casual?

The Celebrity dress code just mentions men should wear shirts with sleeves at dinner. Are men also wearing sprt coast over their polo or casual shirts?

Thanks for the guidance.
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Jackets for Smart Casual?

rasul mama,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The Celebrity dress code just mentions men should wear shirts with sleeves at dinner. Are men also wearing sprt coast over their polo or casual shirts?

Thanks for the guidance.
Sport coats are OPTIONAL on on "smart casual" evenings. The dress code for "smart casual or better" is exactly what "casual" evening attire used to be. On Celebrity, I suspect that you will see some gents with sport coats and some without.

Norm.
Old October 14th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Familiar Face

I guess I was having a hard time settling for just the old Celebrity "casual" mode of dress. Now Norm, have you actual first hand experience since the change of the dress code. I am now wndering if I should completely forget about packing any of the "informal" clothes that have now been replaced with "smart casual".

We are many many time Celebrity cruisers, and I just want to conform by paking right.

Thanks for the input!
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Admiral

rasul mama,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I guess I was having a hard time settling for just the old Celebrity "casual" mode of dress. Now Norm, have you actual first hand experience since the change of the dress code. I am now wndering if I should completely forget about packing any of the "informal" clothes that have now been replaced with "smart casual".

We are many many time Celebrity cruisers, and I just want to conform by paking right.

Thanks for the input!
I will have "actual first-hand experience" with Celebrity's new standards of dress within a week, and I also realized as I thought about packing for the "Panama Canal" cruise aboard GTS Infinity that I really don't know what to expect. The standards of evening dress are clear, but Celebrity also has a tradition of requiring "informal" attire for events such as "elegant tea" in the main dining room that historically were "casual" on other "premium" lines. My guess -- and it's purely a guess -- is that these events are now "smart casual or better." Nonetheless, I probably will put a sport coat in one of my suit cases so I'll have it if I need it.

Of course, if you are going on a cruise Halloween, you certainly could bring the business suit and dress as a trial lawyer for the Halloween party....

Norm.
Old October 19th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Captain

I just returned from a 14-day Transatlantic crossing, a couple weeks ago, on the Constellation. This was our first cruise on Celebrity SINCE the new menu and new dress code. Our last cruise prior to this one was a few months back, in February on the Millie.

I think Transatlantic crossings may reflect a bit more "dressing up", IMHO. I think Northern Europe cruises do as well, compared to warm-weather cruises such as the Caribbean and Mexico...again, IMHO.

The "Smart Casual" wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I expected the male passengers to be more relaxed and actually didn't experience that. While it was nice to have the option to wear a sports coat and slacks...it was also nice just to throw on a pair of slacks and a nice dress shirt (long or short sleeve). I did see plenty of gentlemen wearing short sleeve (nice) shirts, some with sports coats and some without. Most of the men who wore their jackets left them on during dinner. There were a few gentlemen who wore nice (presentable) jeans, with a dress shirt and blazer too. Most passengers seemed more relaxed and I have to say, I was impressed that the dress code was carried off quite nicely.

As on every cruise, there are the "exceptions" where you see a couple wander in with very casual (t /shirt and ball cap) attire...at first it irked me but after the arilines lost ALL 4 pieces of our luggage upon our arrival in Barcelona (thank God we had a 5-day precruise-enough time for them to find it), I wondered if some of these folks had the same misfortune, and simply didn't have the means to get a new wardrobe before the cruise.

We had 4 formal nights on our 14-day cruise and again, I was impressed at the large number of passengers who really put on the ritz, it was great to see.
Old November 6th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Admiral

rasul mama,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

Thanks for the input!
To follow up on my earlier post now that I have just returned from a 14-night "Panama Canal Westbound" cruise from Port Everglades to San Diego aboard GTS Celebrity Infinity (yes, she has been officially renamed and reflagged in her new home port of Valetta, Malta...), I can say that my observation is similar to Triton's. On the "smart casual" evenings, the normative attire was pretty much in keeping with Celebrity's guidance, and there were very few passengers wearing denim anything in the evening. Of course, the short cruises aboard MV Century (or is she now MV Celebrity Century?) may well draw a different crowd.

Norm.
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

We just sailed the Mercury last month. For two of our seven "smart casual and above" evenings I wore a sport coat over my shirt. While I was in the minority, there were many others that did this as well. You will be fine either way.
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton
I just returned from a 14-day Transatlantic crossing, a couple weeks ago, on the Constellation. This was our first cruise on Celebrity SINCE the new menu and new dress code. Our last cruise prior to this one was a few months back, in February on the Millie.

I think Transatlantic crossings may reflect a bit more "dressing up", IMHO. I think Northern Europe cruises do as well, compared to warm-weather cruises such as the Caribbean and Mexico...again, IMHO.

The "Smart Casual" wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I expected the male passengers to be more relaxed and actually didn't experience that. While it was nice to have the option to wear a sports coat and slacks...it was also nice just to throw on a pair of slacks and a nice dress shirt (long or short sleeve). I did see plenty of gentlemen wearing short sleeve (nice) shirts, some with sports coats and some without. Most of the men who wore their jackets left them on during dinner. There were a few gentlemen who wore nice (presentable) jeans, with a dress shirt and blazer too. Most passengers seemed more relaxed and I have to say, I was impressed that the dress code was carried off quite nicely.

As on every cruise, there are the "exceptions" where you see a couple wander in with very casual (t /shirt and ball cap) attire...at first it irked me but after the arilines lost ALL 4 pieces of our luggage upon our arrival in Barcelona (thank God we had a 5-day precruise-enough time for them to find it), I wondered if some of these folks had the same misfortune, and simply didn't have the means to get a new wardrobe before the cruise.

We had 4 formal nights on our 14-day cruise and again, I was impressed at the large number of passengers who really put on the ritz, it was great to see.
Triton,
Here is what you do when you board without luggage and it is 8 days before it arrives. On Celebrity they lend you a tux--no charge.
Amazing the shops don't sell slacks. Spend time in bathing suit purchased on board. Bought a sweater on board since we were in Norway. Had one pair of long pants in carry on. (Always do that since I tour the butt out of a pair on a plane once)
Amazing what you can do when you refuse to have your cruise ruined.
I sure was glad it wasn't my wifes luggage that got lost. BTW we had forgot to cross pack.
So we get off the ship, go to Heatrhow to fly to Manchester to spend time with friends in Blackpool. We cross pack this time and how Heathrow can loose the luggage with just a one leg from London to Manchester is weird. The luggage caught up in three days.
Cross packing is good.