Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Passenger

Default Comments on article "Celebrity Solstice Debuts!"

Thank you for the article as it gave a nice glimpse into the different features of the ship. Though there were a few points that were brought up in the article that were incorrect.

1. In the portion of the article about staterooms you mention there are no upper births on the ship. Celebrity has indeed opted on the C. Solstice to avoid upper births and instead use sofa beds, there are several staterooms that do indeed have upper births. You can see this when looking at the deck plans for the ship. The black triangle represents an upper birth in cabins that also have sofa bed so they can sleep 5.

2. The cruise that you were one was not the inaugural voyage of the ship. The 2 night preview cruise for travel agents and reporters is not considered the inaugural voyage. As told by Celebrity, the inaugural voyage is Nov. 23rd which is the 7-night Easter Caribbean cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
2. The cruise that you were one was not the inaugural voyage of the ship. The 2 night preview cruise for travel agents and reporters is not considered the inaugural voyage. As told by Celebrity, the inaugural voyage is Nov. 23rd which is the 7-night Easter Caribbean cruise.
The inaugural ceremonies, naming the ship, took place before the ship sailed, which would technically make that the ship's inaugural voyage.

The cruise lines of course want those sailing on the first revenue sailing to believe that is the inaug. sailing, but the pomp and circumstance of the inaugural ceremony is already done.

The cruise lines marketing arms love to refer to the ship's first year as it's Inaugural Season ( a term I personally can't stand), but they enjoy selling the t-shirts and souvenirs that denote it
Old November 19th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Passenger

Thank you for the informative article, Kuki. Were you in a suite? The only criticism that I keep hearing about the Solstice is the amount of storage space. I've read several times that the closets are simply way too small, especially for any cruise longer than 7 nights. I'm wondering if the suites have better storage.

Also, are you positive that cigar smoking is allowed in Michael's? Celebrity's posted tobacco policy states: "Pipe and cigar smoking is only allowed in specifically designated areas on outer decks of the vessel."

Thanks!
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsloth
Thank you for the informative article, Kuki. Were you in a suite? The only criticism that I keep hearing about the Solstice is the amount of storage space. I've read several times that the closets are simply way too small, especially for any cruise longer than 7 nights. I'm wondering if the suites have better storage.

Also, are you positive that cigar smoking is allowed in Michael's? Celebrity's posted tobacco policy states: "Pipe and cigar smoking is only allowed in specifically designated areas on outer decks of the vessel."

Thanks!
I actually wasn't on the sailing. Our Editor in Chief Paul Motter was. I don't believe cigar smoking is allowed any long in ANY of Celebrity's Michael's Clubs. That policy was put in place several years ago, when Michael's were changed to smoke free piano bars.
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I was on the ship, and I was repeating what executive vice president Dhondra Reisenthaler said about the ship having no pulldown beds at all. She may have been in error, I am not sure. The specs says some cabins sleep 4, they do not mention cabins for 5 (except suites).