Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Beginner

Default Galaxy

Interested in knowing if anyone is cruising on the Galaxy
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Passenger

Just finished a fantastic 10 day cruise aboard Galaxy. Loved every minute. Have cruised on Celebrity's Millennium and Summit before, but found Galaxy by far the best. Standards of food and service were excellent and the ship is beautiful.
Old November 30th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the info. This will be our 1st cruise with Celebrity. Have done RCI in the past.
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:51 PM
Admiral

c&j0629,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thanks for the info. This will be our 1st cruise with Celebrity. Have done RCI in the past.
Compared to Royal Caribbean International (RCI), you will notice a few differences.

>> 1. There is no skating rink, rock climbing wall, etc. There are, however, plenty of varied activities for everybody. In particular, Celebrity's enrichment lectures tend to be very popular.

>> 2. There's usually only one announcement per day over the ship's intercom. If the ship is at sea, it's the noontime navigational announcement (after which the cruise director will say a few words about the afternoon program). If the ship is in port, it's the "you may now go ashore" announcment when the port authorities clear the ship.

>> 3. The cruise staff do not try to recruit people to join in activities. If you want to go to an activity, you have to show up for it on your own. If you prefer to lay out on deck, nobody will bother you.

>> 4. On Celebrity, nearly all passengers follow the published standards of dress and expect their shipmates to do likewise. If you don't, you probably will feel very self-conscious.

>> 5. At night, Celebrity's discos tend not to be packed to the gills, so there's actually room on the dance floor.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:21 AM
Passenger

Norm has it spot on - I agree with all his comments! Celebrity are a class act in the cruise world and I'd recommend the company to anyone.
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

c&j0629--when is your cruise? DH and I cruised Galaxy to the PC from Galveston in Feb. '05. We had a great time.
We booked Galaxy to the S. Carib. last Jan while on Mercury to Aust/NZ. We had 8 cruises in 6 yrs and so glad because he passed away in Aug. and I have wonderful memories of our travels. Lesson to everyone--don't put off the fun stuff because you never know when disaster will strike.
He will be smiling down on me and his sister when we cruise Galaxy Jan. 19-30. My SIL has never cruised or even traveled much and she is really excited about this trip. Looking forward to it is helping us get through the holidays.
We also had booked Summit to the Med. for June 3 and I have a tentative cruise companion for that. I'm hoping SIL gets hooked on cruising next month and decides to go to the Med, too.
Too bad Galaxy is leaving the X fleet after this winter. She is a nice ship.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska c/t
2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/06 Jewel Bris. Isles/Nor. Fjords + time in London
1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ
1/09 Galaxy S. Carib 6/09 Summit Classical Mediterranean
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Passenger

'Cruisemaniac', I'm so sorry for your loss and wish you all the very best this Christmas. I'm pleased that looking forward to your next cruise is helping you and your SIL cope and I share your hopes that she'll get hooked on cruising - it's hard not to, isn't it?!

I've cruised on Summit (this year we did a week around the Caribbean and then the transatlantic repositioning - almost 3 weeks aboard in all) and she's a good ship. The best thing about her, though, is the fantastic cruise director, Gary Walker - if you go ahead (and I hope you will) with the trip, look out for Gary, as he will make your cruise special.

Finally, I do echo your comments about not putting off the fun stuff - we all need to enjoy the times we have with our loved ones and make sure we have plenty of treasured memories.

With all my best wishes

Helen
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Beginner

Going on 09 Feb out of San Juan...
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Passenger

I cruised on the Galaxy on 11/24/08. This was my 16th cruise but 1st on Celebrity. Not as nice as I expected. The public rooms are very nice. We had 2 concierge balcony cabins and had several problems. The carpet in 1 room had several stains that looked like diluted bleach about the size of a head, mold in the bathroom. The 2nd room had very dirty bedding (stains) on in when we arrived and after mentioning it to housekeeping all of bedding was changed.
Most of the crew was nice. The bar tenders and waiters were great. Food was very good.
The only other problem was the pursers desk. All of the people I spoke with at the desk were rude, unprofessional and uninformed. They were complaining about their jobs. I found out later in the cruise that a large percent of the crew were ill. The negativity of the crew did not affect our cruise. All in all, it was wonderful.
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

SIL and I had a great time on our Galaxy cruise. Everything went off without a hitch--no flight delays; ship, food, service, excursions and everything was super. No complaints at all.
I'm thrilled that just last week I found someone to go with me on Summit 6/3. Classical Med. The original friend who was going had to back out, but a new friend from my bereavement group had cruised with her DH and is thrilled to be doing it again, especially Rome. They never got there 15 yrs ago because the ship crashed into the dock and the cruise was cut short. Not sure which ship.
Friends of mine just got back from SA on Radiance OS and said many of the little touches were missing. Not so on Galaxy. Hope everything is still intact on Summit. The good news is the price of original OV on deck 4 has been reduced by $900 AND we've been upgraded to a CC with veranda on deck 8.
Major reductions and upgrades like this have been almost unheard of on X before now. Must be a sign of the times. Maybe the lower class rooms will be cheap enough to encourage last minute bookings.