Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Beginner

Not at all surprised to hear of serious service issues on Infinity, a ship that probably was strong and consistent when first sailed a few years ago - just as Solstice was last week for me. In fact, many of Inifinity's best crew/staffers transferred to Solstice, probably leaving the less talented personnel on Infinity. Our Alaska cruise on Infinity last May was pretty good, but service, quality, and appearance was not up to high Celeb. standards and we were able to send in criticism on comment cards.

Celeb. clearly knows they screwed up last week's Infinity cruise, but who knows how far it's ready to go to compensate unhappy guests.

- Mark I.
Old December 11th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Passenger

If there is a future cruise credit offered I will definitely try to get it applied to the RCCL cruise I have booked. Thanks for passing on the info. I have to say I was very interested in booking the Solstice before this fiasco of a cruise. It will depend on how Celebrity handles the situation before I count them out completely. I will give them a chance to make things right. I honestly do not think we received the normal Celebrity experience. I don't expect a full refund but I didn't get the cruise I paid for or the service I was promised.
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:25 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default Re: C/C refund?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRed
Has anyone who sailed on that dreadful cruise actually SEEN the credit back to our cards (if we didn't use up the small OBC they gave)they said they were giving, in that letter that was left in our rooms? I haven't yet, and called my c/c co. today to let them know that I may be initiating a dispute for their charge.
I also found out last night that they are offering me a small credit for another cruise. Like I would EVER go on a celebrity ship again??!! I am trying to get that credit to be applied to a cruise I already booked on a RCCL ship. Hopefully, being under the same parent company won't mean the same service.
If anyone hears from Celebrity as to anything they are offering, please let us know on this board???
If they gave you a cabin credit for your inconvenience & you did not charge enough to your shipboard account to cove it, unfortunately, you lose the unused credit. A cabin credit is just that, a cabin credit to be used on board. Unused credit will not be charged back to your credit card.

If they are offering a future cruise credit, I doubt that you would be able to apply it to a RCCL cruise.

Sorry that you had a lousy time, & if you decide not to cruise Celebrity in the future, that is your decision. But having done 15+ cruises on Celebrity, I can say that your experience is not the norm, & I would urge you to give them another try.

Whatever you decide, happy cruising!
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Passenger

On our letter to our staterooms, it stated that any unused OBC would be applied back to our credit cards, and the last recpt actually had the unused amount, with the total left. I hope they stick to their word on it. I know they don't even have the ships log yet.
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRed
On our letter to our staterooms, it stated that any unused OBC would be applied back to our credit cards, and the last recpt actually had the unused amount, with the total left. I hope they stick to their word on it. I know they don't even have the ships log yet.
I called the Purser's desk before getting off of the ship and they confirmed that any unused balance would be returned to my credit card. I still haven't received anything and I read somewhere that it is usually done within 4 business days after getting off of the ship. It has been longer than that. I hope they keep their word on this issue.
Old December 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have heard the Celebrity is one cruise that DOES reimburse your credit card for unused shipboard credit. That is admirable.

Kuki is correct - we have a nice article based on actual passenger experience on how to get a positive resolution to a cruise problem and it does say that you need to:

1. Write a letter
2. Be positive - note the GOOD things,
3. mention you are a loyal, repeat passenger
4. Be specific about the problem, do not write a rambling litany of every little thing that went wrong.
5. Be patient in waiting for a reply (often the hardest part).

This is based on passengers' true stories who told us about receiving ship credit, etc, from cruise lines based upon registering a complaint. There are other ways to do it, but this has proven to be the most successful.

Here is the link:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...Pt1-081808.cfm
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Passenger

Thanks Paul for posting the link on how to file a complaint. In addition to all the service issues on this cruise I also lost the cabin I had booked one year in advance. I found out about the switch while checking in at the pier. I had reserved #6030. This is one of the cabins on Deck 6 with an extra long balcony and that fact was very important to me. Are you familiar with these cabins? I think I was the only person on the ship who knew about these bigger balconies. I was given a cabin on Deck 9 directly under the buffet area. The noise from the trolleys started very early in the morning. This cabin also had the overhang of deck 10 which was distracting and also meant no chance of sun. I realize this was technically an upgrade to the CC class but I couldn't tell any real difference in room size. We got a bottle of champagne that we didn't drink, a couple of fresh flowers and a bowl of fruit. Once home I looked into the matter and found out there were more perks with this cabin but we didn't get them. Even knowing the perks I would have preferred the bigger balcony. While on the ship we asked several people in charge what were the benefits to this cabin and other than what I mentioned they didn't have an answer. This move also caused my luggage to be delayed since my luggage tags had #6030 on them. I didn't get my bags until after 6:30 PM. We spoke to 3 different people at the purser's desk but they told us the ship was full and all they could do was email the home office about our displeasure. They didn't offer to do anything for us at all. We were basically out of luck. Let me add that they did not contact me in advance to ask if I wanted this switch. Had they asked me I would have declined. I spent a lot of time researching my cabin and I was happy with my choice.
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Passenger

Thanks Paul, for the guidelines. It was a little too late for us, as we sent the long rambling letter detailing everything to customer service, AND the CEO Dan Hanrahan. Along with numerous calls.
I WAS contacted by the CEO, who told me a senior rep, higher up, would contact me by phone, which they did, and this rep felt that we got enough reimbursement, with the small future cruise credits they offered, which they will not crossbrand over to RCCL (I have a girlfriend cruise next month). This leaves it a near impossibilty to ever use them, as it will take a while to save up for another cruise. And I really don;t want to touch another Celebrity ship at this point. I wrote to the CEO again to express my frustration, but have not heard back yet.
I feel bad for you Lily...we were in concierge too, on the 8th floor. We didn't get everything that was promised either...no VIP events...they didn't even keep the champagne on ice the whole time, which caused the top to fly off, missing my husbands face by a foot! (from the warm bubbles expanding)
I really thought they would realize this was horrific for us, and not what we paid for. The rep said "we DID get a cruise...." Yes, that's true, but we DIDN'T get what was advertised and told to us ON that cruise, and we PAID for it. In more ways than one.
I'm sorry you had to go through all of that too Lily. I'm soooo tired of them saying "I'm sorry." We shouldn't have been the "guinea pig" cruise.
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Passenger

DJRED - It sounds like you had the same experience as we did in the CC class. There was ice on the champagne when we first arrived but that was it. It sat in warm water after that. I finally dumped the water out myself. I must say I am surprised at Celebrity's lack of customer service. It seems this cruise was a trial run before they headed out on a longer voyage. They weren't prepared for passengers. Although we technically did receive a cruise we didn't get the one Celebrity boasts about - not even close. I have sailed with HAL, RCCL and Carnival and they were all MUCH better. I am not a complainer either, but when simple things like getting a cup of coffee at breakfast are difficult something is wrong. I did read on another board that the day we got off the ship the pressure washers came out and the service has improved considerably. I am sure all of the complaints received had something to do with this fact.

On a brighter note, I hope you have a great cruise with your friends next month!
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Passenger

What is the name of the other board?
Hopefully the cruise my friend and I are going on will be much better. I've been on RCCL before and have liked their boat, and the service. much better. They were attentive.
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Beginner

I want to assure any doubters that indeed my experience was just as I described. I have been on three other cruises and I have never complained before on a message board or otherwise. I am not difficult or picky. I posted this complaint because, like I said, Celebrity would not give me a comment card when I asked at guest relations. If they don't care what I think, then it is my right to complain on these boards. The reason I stated I did not eat in the dining room was because I did not what to pass judgment on something I did not experience and wanted to fairly disclose this, but from what the others have posted it seems I didn't miss anything.

Regarding the missed port. Whoever said that I should not be upset at this is wrong. When a port is substituted through not fault of the cruiseline, I agree that I should not blame the cruiseline. However, Celebrity was negligent because it should have properly tested the new engines after drydock before our cruise. The mechanical breakdown was reasonably foreseeable. It is there fault. They should compensate me. There is no chance they will obviously. This $120 credit breaks down to $60 a person. I am not happy and do not feel lucky.

Regarding the service issues. I am not happy about that either. There is more problems than I could mention, because there were just so many issues. One funny one is that when the side lamp in our cabin was turned on an actual spark of fire came out of the base. Not a flash from the light blowing, but an actual spark from the base! How could I make this stuff up!

I also don't believe that anyone on that cruise posted a positive review. Please copy any paste the link so I can read it. Is is more likely that I am the liar or that Celebrity has someone posting false positive reviews?
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Passenger

Ok...a final update. I just got off the phone with Celebrity. Although it wasn't what I would feel justified in getting, it WAS better than the argument I kept having with a senior rep in charge yesterday. This woman was very gracious, and offered what I felt at this point was acceptable. Wanted to make us happy. I don't want to go into the details of the offering because if they read these boards, I'm afraid they will not follow through. Once I emailed the CEO, I got SOMEWHERE. He forwarded it to his top staff. It took going through 2 people, but I finally got somewhere.
I won't be able to cruise for a while now, but after this better experience with the last person, we decided we might give them one more shot. The worst part was not feeling like they were listening.
Maybe you guys can get some better luck emailing the CEO. (DHanrahan@celebrity.com)
Just don't tell him I told you to write to him.
Good luck!
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Passenger

One last thing.....they finally DID put the unused credit back on our card yesterday, so it IS coming guys!
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It seems like corporate is taking these complaints seriously, which is a good thing for all the passengers who who took the time to let them know about their disappointment in Celebrity. Yayay for you!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 15th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Passenger

I read about the service improvements and power washing of the Infinity on Cruise Critic. It was posted by some folks that were on our cruise and they stayed on board for the next voyage. DJ, I am glad you finally got somewhere. I was about to just give up but I may go ahead and send them a letter now. I was so tired of them just saying sorry without owning up to the fact that they dropped the ball on this sailing. I don't expect everything to be perfect on a ship but from my perspective they couldn't do anything right on this cruise. It really was amazing how many things went wrong on such a short cruise.

I think you will have a good time on your RCCL cruise. I have always had a good time on their ships.

I am going to check my credit card and see if my credit has been applied yet.
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the cheers Trip!
Lily, try to email the CEO...can't hurt, right? Hope you get somewhere. I went around in circles with the first guy, then wrote the CEO telling him how upset we were afterwards, and today the lady called. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:43 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea

RJRed, glad that Celebrity finally stepped up to your satisfaction. Hope that you're able to cruise again soon, & if you do, your cruise is what you expect. As I said in an earlier post, Celebrity for the most part, IMO,offers a very good product & you should enjoy it if you try them again.

Happy cruising!
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Passenger

Greetings:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I also contacted Celebrity over this cruise. With three sailings under my belt (2XRCCL, 1 CC) I knew what to expect.
My first three cruises with this company were FANTASTIC.

I wasn't the least bit upset over the port change because I'd been to Cozumel before and I'd never been to the Bahamas. I got to take the kids to Alantis which was a total scream.

What the other posters say is true though:

1: I was unable to get cold water in the showers in the morning in the locker room. I go there because I'm tall and the larger showers are really nice. Water in the room wasn't a problem.

2: The buffet service was really bad. (cold food, poor service) I don't think the staff was lazy - in fact, if I had to guess I'd guess the boat was seriously understaffed. The orange juice was horrible - watery mess.

3: Ice was dispensed a couple of times in the buffet in large trays with a scoop. The ice machines were not working.

4: At times it was impossible to get a clean towel on the pool deck.

5: The locker rooms and solarium were poorly maintained. One planter (at least) was full of rancid water instead of having a plant in it. One shower handle was broken (fixed next day) but tiles were loose and filthy.

I'd guess they had an understaffed boat that was further frustrated by a breakdown (which ruined the calendar of events). I don't think Celebrity is evil, I just think they dropped the ball on this one cruise.

I sent them an email of my complaints and asked them to return the Infinity and its crew back to the sort of team I expect from Celebrity Cruise Lines. I want 'em to get their act together because I want to cruise with them again.

I'd most certainly sail with Celebrity again (I applied for, and got a credit card through them that earns me points) - although, we are thinking about Princess for a 2010 Cruise to Hawaii. =0)

SIDE NOTE: My wife went down to the customer service desk and proclaimed rather loudly to the person there that she was delighted to be going to the Bahamas. She said the woman almost broke down in tears, which is sad. She wanted the other complainers to hear what she had to say.

It is freakin' amazing how many people think they are owed THE WORLD because of a few minor problems on the boat.
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Passenger

What would be totally awesome is to get the crew's recollections of that trip. Does anyone know of a book that describes cruising from the crew's perspective? I'd love to read one of those - it would have to be hysterical.
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Passenger

Oh...some good things

1: This was our smoothest and quickest boarding ever.
2: I thought the food in the dinning room was very good.
3: Our stateroom attendent and wait staff were great (but rushed).
4: I enjoyed the comedian (and he had a tough crowd.)
5: Pina-Coladas were as good as I remember.
6: Even though the solarium sucked the dinning room and other public areas seemed to be in good repair.
7: The string quartet was great.
8: The singer in the lounge - I think I want to marry her.
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If the worst thing you find about a cruise is that they did not keep the free champagne on ice EVERY day, and a planter that id not have a plant in it - that is really not a whole lot to complain about.

It just makes me wonder what city you live in, because in most big cities the average restaurant or hotel doesn't come close to the kinds of expectations some people are expressing here. In Miami you will find hotels charging $400/night where the maid won't even pick your clothes up off the floor, or put away a used ironing board.

For the champagne - all you have to do is say "we would like to drink this tonight, can you ice it please?" and they will. I was on a lux line once where they did ice the champagne every day just in case we wanted it, and by the fourth day we just said "that's OK, we probably don't really want it or we would have opened it by now."

We were in concierge for the Solsticem and we did not get VIP invitations, either, but we did get everything else. I am not sure it is worth the extra you pay, and if I had researched a stateroom and booked a bigger balcony I would have refused the upgrade as well.

But boy oh boy, I really hope these things did not ruin the cruise for you, because I would hate to think you spent all that money just to be upset over a missing tile in the Spa's locker room.
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
But boy oh boy, I really hope these things did not ruin the cruise for you, because I would hate to think you spent all that money just to be upset over a missing tile in the Spa's locker room.
Instead of mentioning generalities I chose to be specific. When people are specific the cruise line then has the ability to address those issues. I don't like it when people are vague.

I could have mentioned the slow service in the theatre (15+ minutes to get a drink) or a dozen other things that speak to the general theory that they were terribly understaffed, but I cut the list short because everyone got the idea.

Did those things ruin the cruise? No. However, I've spent a good deal of time bragging up Celebrity to friends and family in an effort to get them to join us. I'm sorry to say had anyone joined us on the Dec 03 Infinity I would have been terribly embarrassed for my recommendation.

I'm not the one that spends millions of dollars a year advertising a particular level of service. I'm not the one who spends millions of dollars a year advertising a particular level of attention to detail. If a company sets the bar high then it is reasonable to expect them to meet that bar.

I expected Celebrity to meet the bar because I've seen what that company can do (having been on 3 other cruises with them). Out of the dozens of other cruise lines I have to choose from I picked them again knowing in advance that they are excellent.

I was disappointed and I let them know it.

I'm not all bunched up about this because I know that they'll work to fix it. Also, sometimes a company is just going to have a bad day (we all do) and flub up a cruise. I didn't ask for my money back, a credit, or to have a representative flown to my home to kiss my posterior. The only thing I asked them to do in my email to them is to go back to being the Celebrity I know and love. (I actually told them that).

I absolutely HATE it when people make a big deal out of stupid little things. I hated writing them an email because they are the first company I've complained to in about a decade. I don't like career complainers who find fault with every little thing.

Its a great cruise line and I'll be back.
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Passenger

Admittedly, all my previous complaints were minor.
Please review this list of more serious issues:

1: The pool side bar was serving hamburgers, hotdogs, and bilge rat-on-a-stick.

2: Every morning a couple of guys (Tony and Knuckles) went to each cabin collecting a "man overboard" insurance premium. The cruise started with 1932 guests and ended with 1735 guests.

3: The casino was actually little more than a couple of Jamacians pitching loaded dice in a cargo hold. I lost $500.00

4: My mattress was uncomfortable and upon checking the tag I discovered it was purchased used from a Federal Penitentiary.

5: On two seperate occassions I caught the cabin steward in the shower with my wife.

6: Despite the raspberry-puree I found the Soylent Green they served in the Aqua Spa to be morally objectionable.

7: The slot machines in the casino pay out in gumballs.

8: I don't consider Billy Blister and the Festering Wounds to be an acceptable band for the sail away party. Granted, the lyrics to the ballad Corpse Creature were rather catchy.

9: I spent $95 on a massage in the spa that consisted of a retired pro wrestler putting me in a full nelson for 20 minutes.

Sorry if venting all that made me a whiner.
Regard,
jgthelen
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Captain

as8566, djred, lilygirl, seascape, hsubs, jgthelen and all who took the time to report their experiences on Celebrity.

I feel very sorry after reading about your experiences.

The very long list of problems reported is not even close to complaints about one or two minor things. As for those who were not on your cruise and somehow subtly making innuendoes that you do not know what you are talking about, because they did not read about on some other web-site is, in my opinion, more than a bit ludicrous.

As for the post that said Celebrity would not return an unused credit to your credit card, that is incorrect information. I know this because on our cruise, Celebrity did return a $100 onboard credit for a cruise on the Summit, that as bad as yours was, was even worse! I even got the credit after Celebrity refused my request to remove the credit from my credit card.

Hopefully Celebrity handles this matter properly and with respect for their former passengers.

IMHO, for what is advertised as a "premium" cruise line, there is just no excuse for all the many things that all of you have reported. In my opinion the biggest problem, with Celebrity is a lack of consistency with their ships on various cruises.

Good luck to all and I hope you will not give up on cruising because of this poor experience.

PS: reburke; your comment, sums up, those who would try to impugn someone's report of their own cruise. For those who were actually on the cruise and have reported their observations, thanks again and I hope, for all of you, that things are worked out fairly by Celebrity.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Passenger

Nurse Debra - Thanks so much for the kind words. It is nice to know that someone does understand. For the others - I hope they never have to experience what we did on our cruise. I usually try to overlook minor problems. In fact my husband says I travel with my 'rose colored glasses on'. Even I could not ignore all the things wrong with this cruise. We kept saying that nothing else could possible go wrong but it did. The ship had just come from dry dock and was simply not ready for passengers. I think the crew was short handed and did the best they could in a difficult situation. Now I will say we did have a good time on our vacation but it had nothing to do with being on a Celebrity ship. In fact, it was in spite of it. We had to make the best of it even though we had problem after problem on board the ship. We had a good time in the ports but I took this cruise to experience what a Celebrity cruise was all about. I have seen the commercials and believe me, this cruise didn't live up to the hype - not even close.
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Passenger

Thank you Nurse Debra, for the kind comments. It's nice to know that there are people who aren't feeling like we are all trying to get something for nothing. We truly aren't. We were just looking for fair compensation for all the flubs. We paid for a GOOD cruise, and the ball dropped HARD.
Yes, cruises aren't perfect, but they should be far from THIS haphazard.
I saw on another board where someone on the cruise was knocking us all and joking about the fact that anyone would WANT the "tacky baked alaska parade." I do, sue me. It's a fun time. Hey to each his own, right? All we did was explain our situation and ignoramuses are coming down on us for it. I think THEY are the ones who need to "get a life". I personally am NOT in a position to throw my money away.
I think I MIGHT try them again some day, to let them prove themselves with all "the awards we earn, " but if it's evn CLOSE to what happened this time, I will NEVER go back.
Good luck with your arguments everyone, if you decide to pursue it.
Old December 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Passenger

Paul - for what it's worth the champagne issue was just one of many. Try no hot water one morning for showers, a problem with every meal, dirty conditions of the ship, etc. All minor problems but when put together they make for an overall bad experience. Switching my cabin at the pier was a even bigger problem for me. I didn't receive the chance to refuse this switch. In fact, the opposite is true. I was just told 'too bad' because another guest is in that cabin now. I reminded them that I booked ONE YEAR in advance for that cabin but it fell on deaf ears. I was put in a very undesirable location. This switch had to be made at the last minute. I had checked my info on the Celebrity website a few days before the cruise and all was intact. I did notice that after final payment my category was selling at a guarantee rate which was substantially lower than the price I had paid a year ago. Moving me to an open cabin meant that I was placed in a cabin no one else had wanted - and for good reason. As far as comparing a cruise room to a hotel, I don't think that is a fair comparison. I pick up after myself in both places so that isn't an issue but I have never tipped a hotel maid $9 per day for their services. Do you?
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
as8566, djred, lilygirl, seascape, hsubs, jgthelen and all who took the time to report their experiences on Celebrity.

I feel very sorry after reading about your experiences.
Just to be clear, I don't feel "ripped off" really.

I had a very nice trip and I realize that cruise personnel work very hard, even when the cruise doesn't go well.

My over-riding emotion on the topic is that of being embarrassed for the company.

Any disappointment I feel is based almost entirely on having to shop for a new cruise line. I'm a creature of habit - if Celebrity was on the ball they'd of had a repeat customer for probably a dozen more cruises over my lifetime. I really don't care to take any other type of vacation and I don't like to risk vacation dollars on things I've not tried before. 8)

Before the Infinity cruise I wouldn't hear of going with a different line (I was sticking with RCCL and Celebrity). My wife was trying to talk me into Holland America, Norwegian, or Princess but I kept telling her nothing could compare to the wonderful things we'd had with RCCL/Celebrity.

Now we are looking at Princess (April 2010) and if they give us what we want I'll be adding them to the rotation.

As for Celebrity, I'm watching them to see how they handle this issue. If they just let it slide it will indicate to me that they just aren't serious about their reputation anymore. No loss to me, I'll just find a cruise line that is hungry for my dollars.
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

With the economy the way it is, I think that if Celebrity really wanted to win back loyal customers who did have a list of issues, that did impact their cruise, they should make the investment of giving a future credit.

As the previous poster just stated, he is taking his next cruise to another line. Aside from the initial cost of the cruise, Celebrity will lose all the onboard revenue, if they decide to do nothing.

Thay have more to gain, if they act responsibly. My 2 cents

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
With the economy the way it is, I think that if Celebrity really wanted to win back loyal customers who did have a list of issues, that did impact their cruise, they should make the investment of giving a future credit.

As the previous poster just stated, he is taking his next cruise to another line. Aside from the initial cost of the cruise, Celebrity will lose all the onboard revenue, if they decide to do nothing.

Thay have more to gain, if they act responsibly. My 2 cents
I dislike the impression that I may be giving by complaining. To be clear, I'm not kicking up a fuss to get a refund - I hate it when people complain for the purpose of extortion.

Here is what they could do besides credits/cash/refund that would impress me. Obviously, the right answer would be based on what actually went wrong - this is only a general outline.

1: Admit that the cruise was a disaster.
2: Identify the problem (poor training, poor planning, etc).
3: Identify the steps necessary to fix the problem.
4: Implement the steps necessary to fix the problem.
5: Communicate these things to me in an apologetic letter.
6: Keep your cash, I don't need a cruise credit.

I know some people won't be happy without a refund but again, I don't give a hoot about the money. I want to know that when I book a Celebrity Cruise I'm gonna get an excellent cruise or they will get all Attila the Hun with themselves to correct the problems.

Now if Celebrity is content to be RCCL with a tux instead of the exclusive provider of finest sub-lux cruises they have no need to bother. I don't know what their business plan is or what they have as a goal for the line. Perhaps Azamara is where the rebirth of the Celebrity of old is to be found.

I'll just watch and see what happens.
Skip the cruise credit though - I'd rather have em dry dock the boat and fix the solarium.