Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Well, it's a given that all the ships problems be taken care of, as well as the lack of customer service .

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 18th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Well, it's a given that all the ships problems be taken care of, as well as the lack of customer service .
I'm not trying to be contrary - but in my estimation it isn't a given that the problem will be fixed.

It could be that the company is abandoning older Celebrity ships in favor of the new larger ships (RCCL & Celebrity) and moving all of the old Celebrity way of doing things over to Azamara.

If that is the case, another acceptable answer would a letter that explains that "if you like the old Celebrity then cruise with our sister line Azamara because we are changing our strategy with Celebrity".

I'm more interested in information than money.
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Passenger

UPDATE:

I received an invite in the mail (email) to fill out an online survey regarding the December 03 sailing of the Infinity. I'm really really pleased to see that they are querying the passengers about this cruise and I hope it helps them get the problem fixed.

What remains to be seen is how they respond to the survey.

I really do like the cruise line - I want to sail with them again IF they can fix it.
Old December 19th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Passenger

I haven't received the survey yet but I will keep my eyes open for one. I know there were many valid complaints about this cruise so it will be hard for Celebrity to ignore them. Every person I spoke to on the ship had some problem to report. Thanks for passing on the info about the survey.
Old December 19th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Passenger

I haven't gotten one either, but the people who already let them know what was wrong in major detail probably won't, I guess.
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Beginner

I just want to thank Nurse Debra for validating our experiences. I think we were just tired of celebrity and others on this board suggesting that we are petty or imagining everything. This is my first experience on Celebrity and will be my last. I don't want a free cruise (on Celebrity) and don't really expect they will refund any money.

If you love Celebrity and think this cruise was a blip on their perfect record, maybe you should just say that instead making us out to be liars. For all I know celebrity may usually provide and excellent cruising experience. All I am saying is that my experience on this cruise was horrible.

Again, I was not allowed to have a comment card when I asked guest services. I want to tell someone how bad this cruise was.
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by as8566
I think we were just tired of celebrity and others on this board suggesting that we are petty or imagining everything. This is my first experience on Celebrity and will be my last. I don't want a free cruise (on Celebrity) and don't really expect they will refund any money.

If you love Celebrity and think this cruise was a blip on their perfect record, maybe you should just say that instead making us out to be liars.
I think there were very few such "attacks" on this message board. The odd one is bound to pop up, but generally the discussions were pretty tame.

My first cruise on Celebrity, was in 1996, on the Century, on her second sailing. We encountered new ship glitches, as well as a variety of problems which I thought were serious. I wrote Celebrity, and received a note offering me a 15% discount on another sailing... which I felt was inadequate.

I didn't sail on a Celebrity ship for 6 years afterwards, and during that timeframe I cruised quite a lot, and also organized group cruise... avoiding the line entirely.... so in the end they did loose a considerable amount of revenue from leaving me dissatisfied.

Eventually, I was convince to give them another try, and since then have been on 7 or 8 great cruises on Celebrity.

Hopefully, with some time, you'll end up with the same situation... trying them again, and getting a great cruise, with full value for your money.
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Passenger

Quote:
I just want to thank Nurse Debra for validating our experiences. I think we were just tired of celebrity and others on this board suggesting that we are petty or imagining everything. This is my first experience on Celebrity and will be my last. I don't want a free cruise (on Celebrity) and don't really expect they will refund any money.

If you love Celebrity and think this cruise was a blip on their perfect record, maybe you should just say that instead making us out to be liars. For all I know celebrity may usually provide and excellent cruising experience. All I am saying is that my experience on this cruise was horrible.

Again, I was not allowed to have a comment card when I asked guest services. I want to tell someone how bad this cruise was.
The first time I was on Celebrity the cruise was absolutely excellent in every detail. In the feedback I shared with them I noted that my expectations were those I learned from previously cruising with them.

If you'd like to comment on the cruise I'd recommend going to their website and creating an account. They have a way for you to provide feedback there. After doing that myself I received a phone call from the company a few days later following up on my email.

That gives you the ability to document your frustrations and talk to a live person (if they call).

Don't let the lack of a comment card get in your way. 8)
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I just wanted to add.. much of the problems back on our Century cruise were caused by a new crew unfamiliar with the ship, who got very rude when new systems failed.

A simiar situation may have been in place on your cruise, because the new Solstice had come out, many of the top staff and crew had likely been transferred to it, leaving your ship with new or ill-trained people.
Old December 25th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel
Default UNHAPPY WITH CELEBRITY

There have been times that I have been unhappy with Celebrity, but I feel like I am kind of married to them so I have to be unhappy at times.
They almost never get our dining seating correct, but we always get it corrected on board. Just seems like the Florida office could communicate better.
I prefer the Millennium class ships pod troubles and all.
I have had a cruise cancelled two days before departure because of pods, but I still love the ships.
I was on the cruise in Arica when 12 passengers died on a tour. Everyone on board that ship at the memorial service was proud of the way Celebrity handled the incident. The people were on a private tour and it was not a ship board excursion. Celebrity went above and beyond.
I lost my luggage for 8 days on a Fjords of Norway cruise (Thank God it wasn't my wife's) I had booked my own flights so Celebrity had no obligation but went out of their way to help and also let me have a tux at no charge.
Is Celebrity's service getting a little slack. Probably compared to 2000, but not so slack that I would not sail with them. All cruise lines will have trouble. The difference between others and Celebrity is that I think Celebrity shines under duress. One could say that they have more experinece working under duress with all the pod problems. Maybe that is what makes them the best.
Old December 27th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Captain

lilygirl, djred and as8566,

Thank you for the kind words and you are very welcome. Whatever the excuse might be for a bad cruise that is anything but "premium" does not matter much when it happens on the cruise that you are on. It is much harder for those who were not in your position to understand. I am sure had I not been through a bad experience with Celebrity that I would also not understand your feelings. I also understand it is not about the money but rather the principle.

I would never consider myself married to any cruise line and expect to receive what I have paid for on any cruise ship. I applaud you for your attitude to not just walk away without trying to get Celebrity's attention and not just let others experience the same thing as you did.

People do come to these boards with different perspectives. For example, having a cruise cancelled because of POD problems and then getting a free cruise from Celebrity gives one a different opinion than loosing over half of an Alaskan cruise because of these very same problem and then being offered a rather insulting $100 on board credit from Celebrity to make up for it. For some problems Celebrity has done the right thing, but on others, IMHO, Celebrity behaved very badly under duress. Things can go wrong on any ship but IMHO, how the company reacts is the really important thing in choosing a cruise line or any business for that matter.
My experience is posted for the May 7, 2006 Summit cruise.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
lilygirl, djred and as8566,

Thank you for the kind words and you are very welcome. Whatever the excuse might be for a bad cruise that is anything but "premium" does not matter much when it happens on the cruise that you are on. It is much harder for those who were not in your position to understand. I am sure had I not been through a bad experience with Celebrity that I would also not understand your feelings. I also understand it is not about the money but rather the principle.

I would never consider myself married to any cruise line and expect to receive what I have paid for on any cruise ship. I applaud you for your attitude to not just walk away without trying to get Celebrity's attention and not just let others experience the same thing as you did.

People do come to these boards with different perspectives. For example, having a cruise cancelled because of POD problems and then getting a free cruise from Celebrity gives one a different opinion than loosing over half of an Alaskan cruise because of these very same problem and then being offered a rather insulting $100 on board credit from Celebrity to make up for it. For some problems Celebrity has done the right thing, but on others, IMHO, Celebrity behaved very badly under duress. Things can go wrong on any ship but IMHO, how the company reacts is the really important thing in choosing a cruise line or any business for that matter.
My experience is posted for the May 7, 2006 Summit cruise.

Debra
Debra,
I found your report and read it as well as Mark Singleton's.
It seems like you had a terrible cruise. I have always contended that any OBC should be in a proportion according to what you have paid. In other words the ones that paid the most for the cruise get the most OBC. Always use a percent OBC. That is not hard to do and seems to be the fairest way to do it instead of just giving everyone the same thing. Everyone didn’t pay the same thing for the cruise.
If the Captain was trying to hide any mistakes he may have made, lying will always come back to haunt you.
Do you know the name of the Captain? Do you know the name of the Cruise Director?
Also what ever time that was lost in a port from the scheduled time should be used to determine the OBC compensation via percentage.
Well you got to San Francisco rather than Seattle. That would be a plus in my book unless you were from San Francisco and expected to see Seattle.
Hubbard Glacier—Captain would have to wait until the other ship cleared and would have put him late. He was probably late getting to Hubbard for his schedule.
Sounds like you missed Hubbard.
It is a shame that such a nice cruise would be spoiled since it is not all about the money, but about the time that people have set aside to do this cruise. Some of the things are beyond people’s control.
Someone made a judgment not to cancel this cruise and it messed up. I wonder how the cruise right before this one went. Did they know problems were coming.
Contracts that we all sign for the cruise protect the line form certain liabilities, but the harm in public relations is there.
I read Mark Singleton report and all he complained about is standing outside for 45 min waiting for transportation.
There were only two reports. I would have thought there would have been more.

Joe
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Captain

Quote:

as8566:

I would hope most of the readers do understand your what you are saying; I know I certainly do. As for the survey's, as far as I know just a few are sent out. Whether Celebrity really uses the information, I really don't know.

I can say that most of the passengers on our cruise did fill out the comment cards. We were told that if you made a request to be contacted, on the card, then you would definitely be contacted by Celebrity a few days after the cruise ended. No one ever called me or anyone else, that I know of, who was on that cruise. In fact I only received one form letter from Celebrity and even after all the problems on our cruise and all my calls and letters. So IMHO, I don't put to much faith in those comment cards to do any good.

Please keep us posted on what happens.
Debra

scapel (Joe)

Your comments are appreciated. I think when you read Mark Singleton's review of the same cruise I was on, that you may have missed the first paragraph, which gave a summary of the main disappointments of the cruise. To answer your question the Captain on our cruise was Dimitrios Kafetzis (who was very, very handsome!, but I digress) and the Cruise director was John Howell. As for missing Hubbard Glacier, my understanding is that there can be more than one ship there at a time. The Harbor Master has reported seeing as many as four ships at Hubbard Glacier at one time.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
Quote:

as8566:

I would hope most of the readers do understand your what you are saying; I know I certainly do. As for the survey's, as far as I know just a few are sent out. Whether Celebrity really uses the information, I really don't know.

I can say that most of the passengers on our cruise did fill out the comment cards. We were told that if you made a request to be contacted, on the card, then you would definitely be contacted by Celebrity a few days after the cruise ended. No one ever called me or anyone else, that I know of, who was on that cruise. In fact I only received one form letter from Celebrity and even after all the problems on our cruise and all my calls and letters. So IMHO, I don't put to much faith in those comment cards to do any good.

Please keep us posted on what happens.
Debra

scapel (Joe)

Your comments are appreciated. I think when you read Mark Singleton's review of the same cruise I was on, that you may have missed the first paragraph, which gave a summary of the main disappointments of the cruise. To answer your question the Captain on our cruise was Dimitrios Kafetzis (who was very, very handsome!, but I digress) and the Cruise director was John Howell. As for missing Hubbard Glacier, my understanding is that there can be more than one ship there at a time. The Harbor Master has reported seeing as many as four ships at Hubbard Glacier at one time.

Debra
Debra,
I did go an read it again. I had seen the first paragraph, but he didn't seem as upset with in the writing as he did about waiting 45 min for the busses.
I must say, you had a very bad experience on your cruise. Did you ever really find out what the problem or problems were with the ship. Was it the same old pod problems that have plagued the Millennium class ships.
As I said, if the cruise before this one on the Summit had any problems, this one should have been cancelled. I wonder if there were and someone just made a bad call and sent it out anyhow.
I remember Hubbard and our captain waited until the RCCL ship had moved so we could get in closer and spin around giving all sides of the ship a view. I mean we really got close and had lunch on the veranda while viewing the Glacier on a beautiful day. You should ask for that same cruise again. Princess and Holland America however are grandfathered into Glacier Bay, but RCCL & Celebrity are not permitted to go.
I don't understand why you Captain did not go up to the Glacier and spend about one hour spinning around. I would want the answer to the question WHY.
I did not know your Captain or your CD. The ones I know would not have let you go without knowledge of what was going on.
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Beginner

Default dec 3 infinity

Sorry, I must admit I have not read/responded to these post in some time due to the holidays. Sounds like people are still talking....and I've still been thinking about it (bad experiences are hard to shake).

Customer service repts and executives have called me back several times to report that there was a corporate decision to "do nothing" in response to the Dec 3 Infinity sailing. I have asked them to reconsider, as I feel strongly that we were not given fair compensation for such a disaster of a cruise.

I was informed that the customer service people are going to compile everything again and try again to get the company to reconsider their decision. Two of the people I have spoken to have been very sympathetic to my issues and seem to really think we deserve more. Their customer service representatives have been nothing but professional and apologetic. They were swamped with complaints. I only wish that the "powers that be" were more like them!

Please consider not taking "no" for an answer and kindly and considerately speak to the representatives again. I believe they are really trying to help us.

PS Luckily I did follow the guidelines posted about a complaint letter (I saw that post after I faxed the letter) I even complimented several of the staff by name and raved about the aqua spa cafe.
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:15 AM
Passenger

Default Funny

Can NOT believe one could have so many bad things on a 4 day cruise
Letter sounds like you went out of your way to find things wrong
How do you put a table in a shower and still get yourself in
Maybe you should stop cruising so I don't get a cabin next door
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:35 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock951
Believe it or not this cruise was filled with nothing but problems at every turn. The ship and it's crew were simply not ready to sail after being in drydock. We kept saying that nothing else could possibly go wrong but it did. I was really shocked at the whole experience.

I have also been told by Celebrity that they are sorry but they are not planning on doing anything about this cruise. They did receive a ton of complaints and are addressing the issues on the ship. That doesn't help those of us that wasted our vacation time and money on this particular cruise.
Old January 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock951
Mr. "Hancock" (ahem),
You are truly showing your ignorance. You need to REREAD my post, as it does NOT say table, but END table, much smaller. Next I guess you'll question WHY I needed the "table".
"One" turned out to be MANY, as a record number of people immediately called the cruise line, as well as the number of people ON the ship, lining UP THE STAIRS. Again, more than "one."
This was a special anniversary cruise, so no, we were excitied to try the Celebrity line, and have NEVER experienced a bad cruise on a major line until now, so why would we "go out of our way to find things wrong." Who pays money for something and then try to ruin the thing?? Maybe in YOUR world???
Maybe YOU should consider ceasing to cruise, as you have proven you have no compassion towards fellow cruisers who had a bad experience. Unless you were on that boat, you have no way to know what happened to so many of us. Why the need to talk smack about others when we hve done nothing to you? We were giving facts of our cruise. I don't know...maybe you have an inferiority complex so you feel the need to be above everyone else.
Even the line admitted to the many problems and most were very apologetic....seems they know they screwed up, but wow...didn't know you've been selected to be their new CEO. God help us all.
Have a great day.

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it???
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:10 PM
Passenger

I just read that the Infinity received a score of 85 on its CDC inspection given on Dec 3rd. This is considered NOT satisfactory. I wasn't surprised.
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:26 PM
Passenger

Lily, where'd you find that? I'd like to read it.
Then again, we all KNEW it wasn't satisfactory.
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:34 PM
Passenger

Try looking here for the CDC report

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/vsp/InspectionQu...onResults.aspx
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:35 PM
Passenger

Ewww Lily! My husband and I are laughing at all the violations! Did you read them? The guy using his finger to try the food in the galley, not checking the potable water, etc...and we're only halfway through the list!
I'm so glad we didn't get sick from the temp. storage violations and all the other things they were messed up on. Thanks for sharing the report.
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM
Passenger

Looking at the CDC reports....our cruise was the LOWEST scoring trip on the Infinity since 2001! It was also the ONLY UNSATISFACTORY trip, according to the CDC standards, not OURS, Still think we were looking for things wrong? It's documented. This particular cruise had the most violations for Infinity in 8 YEARS!
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:26 PM
Passenger

Yes - I did read all the violations. I feel this report validated what we have been saying all along - the ship and the crew were not ready for passengers. I am certain Celebrity has now fixed all the problems with this ship but that fact will only help the people booked on future cruises. We are just out of luck.
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:29 PM
Passenger

AND it makes people like "hancock" look foolish and ignorant with all the facts to back us up now too. But, I don't expect he will apologize, people like that never do.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
Passenger

Default So Sorry

So don’t cruise on Celebrity anymore
Gee I’, so sorry you had a bad cruise. You really think they are going to give your money back? If they started then everyone would always have a bad cruise just to get their money back. The best you will get is a credit toward your next cruise. Post all the threads you can, if that will make you feel better. Then cry to the company for a refund because you already wrote them. People are still going to cruise with them just without you. People always purchase the lowest price item. The lowest cost of a cruise will always fill up the ships

Why in the world would you keep ordering room service if it was always wrong
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Passenger

We ordered room service because the "gourmet bites" that were supposed to be on the last night never materialized in the Cova Cafe so that was the only option left if we wanted something small before bed. The other room service was also late at night, and the morning one was because they retried getting it right. They acknowledged it was all messed up and wanted to try to get it right, so we let them, to give them a chance.

After the treatment we have gotten on this board, the sarcasm from one or two of you, and the same telling us we were out looking for trouble, or are nasty, I can see why people read and leave. They are afraid to post here. I thought this was a friendly board to air the good and the bad. Although the people who were passengers were complaining about the cruise line itself and no one here, it turned personal with us being labeled.

We are all just people wanting to enjoy a cruise...as I've said before, my husband and I have never had a bad cruise. This was the first time we did. Sorry our problems offended the one or two on here that think we were out for blood. It isn't the case, but you can't change someones mind, so I'm not going to try. We have had minor things on cruises happen, which is understandable, but this was not the case.
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRed
We ordered room service because the "gourmet bites" that were supposed to be on the last night never materialized in the Cova Cafe so that was the only option left if we wanted something small before bed. The other room service was also late at night, and the morning one was because they retried getting it right. They acknowledged it was all messed up and wanted to try to get it right, so we let them, to give them a chance.

After the treatment we have gotten on this board, the sarcasm from one or two of you, and the same telling us we were out looking for trouble, or are nasty, I can see why people read and leave. They are afraid to post here. I thought this was a friendly board to air the good and the bad. Although the people who were passengers were complaining about the cruise line itself and no one here, it turned personal with us being labeled.

We are all just people wanting to enjoy a cruise...as I've said before, my husband and I have never had a bad cruise. This was the first time we did. Sorry our problems offended the one or two on here that think we were out for blood. It isn't the case, but you can't change someones mind, so I'm not going to try. We have had minor things on cruises happen, which is understandable, but this was not the case.

IMHO you are beating a dead horse to death. Please, enough already. Sorry you did not like your cruise. Try a differnt cruise ship. Please get over it
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Admiral

Well, I haven't been by this board since preparing for my 2006 cruise on Infinity. We went to Alaskan leaving from San Francisco. I loved Alaskan and leaving from San Francisco.

I hated Celebrity here is why. The Shrimp was rubbery and not deveined, the Prime Rib was tougher then shoe leather (seriously the easiest piece of meat to cook), the staff didn't keep the public areas clean, and the toilet seats were peeling (I almost got a piece of wood in my butt). There were no organized activities that didn't require me to spend money.

I complained on the boards and people jumped me too. In fact one guy implied I don't know what good food was. Are you kidding me, I didn't get this body design cause I don't eat. Anyway I believe you and I wonder if it's a problem with this ship and not all of Celebrity? Since so many people have good experiences on Celebrity. I made the CDC a hyperlink it's easier that way. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/vsp/InspectionQu...onResults.aspx

To Rick this thread is about this cruise, if you don't like it then don't post. Because DJRed is on topic and has every right to express his opinion. It helps future cruisers to have honest experiences and not white wash.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Passenger

Thank you KatLady for understanding.

I wasn't beating a dead horse, and HAVE moved on. The reason I replied was that one of the people judging us was asking why in the world I would keep ordering room service. I answered him. Period, only reason.

We actually DID get SOME money refunded BECAUSE I kept calling and BECAUSE they DID get how bad this, BTW. I spoke to the right people who had authority.