Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #91 (permalink)  
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRed
Thank you KatLady for understanding.

I wasn't beating a dead horse, and HAVE moved on. The reason I replied was that one of the people judging us was asking why in the world I would keep ordering room service. I answered him. Period, only reason.

We actually DID get SOME money refunded BECAUSE I kept calling and BECAUSE they DID get how bad this, BTW. I spoke to the right people who had authority.
Thanks to all for the CDC report which certainly IMHO backs up what you reported about your cruise. Any time a ship gets an unsastisfactory rating from the CDC is not anything to just be brushed off lightly.

You are not beating a dead horse at all. You are in kind of a catch-22 situation here, from some, and I can very well empathize with your problem. When statements are made to cast doubt on what you have reported and you answer, then you are accused of beating a dead horse. If you did not respond then you would be accused of being a drive by poster.

Congratulations on getting Celebrity's attention and your perseverance is sometimes the only way to make things change.
__________________
With integrity nothing else matters; without it nothing else matters.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #92 (permalink)  
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,900
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

Bad cruises happen sometimes. I also don't appreciate it when people in message accuse people who have a legitimate right to complain of just being whiners, or whatever.

As I said, bad cruises do happen. I am glad the OP finally got some compensation.

We don't write articles in CruiseMates about "how to complain effectively" and others because everything is always perfect.

When I had an issue with a Royal Caribbean cruise I was on, I was also told by posters here that I was wrong to care about what I found to be wrong. (Generally bad service and the inability to solve problems onboard). What could be more rude than telling someone they are wrong to say anything bad about a product they spent $thousands upon?

I am happy to say that post-cruise Royal Caribbean did contact me and agree to make certain things right, but it was frustrating to have experienced the problems onboard and not be able to resolve them at the time.

For the record - I am the editor of this site, so for me to criticize the posters here says something, but the fact is there are a lot of "rabid cruisers" out there who will not let you criticize their favorite cruise line. These people need to be ignored.

Most cruises are great, and as a vacation cruising is the best value and experience available, in my opinion. But sometimes good cruises go bad. There is nothing wrong with pointing that out - especially since it keeps the cruise ship staffs on their toes.
Reply With Quote
  #93 (permalink)  
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: florida
Posts: 26
Default

Thank you Paul. It means a lot, coming from you.

I have said my piece to them, as others have, and at this point will be ignoring anything else they have to say about us. WE know we did the right thing.

I love cruising, and this one experience won't keep me away from cruising. It is a lot of fun, gives you the chance to have everything in one place, and you get to see other parts of the world.

Have a wonderful day guys!
Be safe!
Reply With Quote
  #94 (permalink)  
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Bad cruises happen sometimes. I also don't appreciate it when people in message accuse people who have a legitimate right to complain of just being whiners, or whatever.

As I said, bad cruises do happen. I am glad the OP finally got some compensation.

We don't write articles in CruiseMates about "how to complain effectively" and others because everything is always perfect.

When I had an issue with a Royal Caribbean cruise I was on, I was also told by posters here that I was wrong to care about what I found to be wrong. (Generally bad service and the inability to solve problems onboard). What could be more rude than telling someone they are wrong to say anything bad about a product they spent $thousands upon?

I am happy to say that post-cruise Royal Caribbean did contact me and agree to make certain things right, but it was frustrating to have experienced the problems onboard and not be able to resolve them at the time.

For the record - I am the editor of this site, so for me to criticize the posters here says something, but the fact is there are a lot of "rabid cruisers" out there who will not let you criticize their favorite cruise line. These people need to be ignored.

Most cruises are great, and as a vacation cruising is the best value and experience available, in my opinion. But sometimes good cruises go bad. There is nothing wrong with pointing that out - especially since it keeps the cruise ship staffs on their toes.
Thanks Paul for steping in and removing a rather "over the top" post. I have a shell that a turtle would envy, so being flamed or reading tasteless comments about facts I present or my opinions does not bother me a bit, but most who encounter these kind of posters will just leave the boards. The loss of opinions from any poster just means that all of us will have that much less information to consider. Just as all cruises are not bad or plagued with problems, neither are all cruises, especially from a particular cruise line, all perfect. There can always be some problems on any cruise line, but whether or not the cruise lines addresses these problems and treats passengers fairly is what truly makes a good cruise line.

It is good to know that this board is one of the few where all opinions can be shared and that deameaning posts are certainly not the accepted norm here on cruisemates.

Happy and trouble free sailing to all.

Debra
__________________
With integrity nothing else matters; without it nothing else matters.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #95 (permalink)  
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 69
Default

Great job once again Paul!!! Thanks for stating what obviously
needed to be said.

Phil
__________________
pheelgood

Celebrity Solstice--Nov.30, 2008
Our First Cruisemates Cruise!!!
Reply With Quote
  #96 (permalink)  
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,088
Default

[quote="Paul Motter"]







For the record - I am the editor of this site, so for me to criticize the posters here says something, but the fact is there are a lot of "rabid cruisers" out there who will not let you criticize their favorite cruise line. These people need to be ignored.

quote]

Below is not written by Paul, a mistake by me in the way I quoted the post..

I have quoted only a portion of your post for a reason. Since I am obviously the person you are talking about may I point out that if you check my posts you will find numerous posts criticizing Celebrity. I only tried to bring a balance to this thread by stating there were problems and that others have reported they had a great cruise.

I do wish to respond on your comments about the rabid cruisers who will not let you criticize their favorite cruise line. Why does not the opposite hold true particularly with one poster. This poster has been thrown off the other cruise board for repeated phony names, off topic comments and MANY, MANY NEGATIVE PERSONAL comments. Should these people also be ignored.

I am only responding to your post because you criticized the rabid posters while apparently the opposite is allowed. This will not happen again, no more links to press release, no more links to news articles of a cruising interest, etc and no more responding to posters legitimate questions.

If you wish to have a board where every question that is asked is answered with a criticism of Celebrity's pods so be it.
Reply With Quote
  #97 (permalink)  
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: florida
Posts: 26
Default

On this particular site, there have been 2 or 3 of you who have insinuated that the people on this cruise were nasty, making more of it than it was, and questioned why we did things repeatedly if they "were so bad".
I think people on ANY board who launch personal attacks for someone posting negatives SHOULD be ignored, in either direction. Paul was trying to state that. First timers like myself and others who wanted to be honest here, have been harshly spoken about by the minority for voicing what happened, and because SOME people, God bless them, who actually didn't have the problems we had on the ship had a great time, that was used to show we must over fabricating.
Paul is just trying to make nice on this board, and keep it peaceful, the way it should be. A transfer of information, for all to use to judge what they want to do, and to be informed. Why some chose to make it so personal is beyond me. Was there a reason to be so hostile?
You speak of the negative attacks on people, yet you did the same. Yu tried to negate what we have been saying, leaving us no recourse but to defend ourselves, which NEVER should have happened.
I agree with you on the one point though....everyone should refrain from the personal attacks, and print experiences only. If you don't agree with what was written, keep your mouth shut and move on. There's no reason to knock anyone for what THEY had happen to them, is there?

Have a great day, and to the many on here who have kept our heads up on this thread, thank you so much. Your civility is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #98 (permalink)  
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default

Well said, Don.

I would hope that you do keep providing these boards with your information & insights. Your voice of reason is a welcome balance to those who do seem to have a vendetta against Celebrity.

As far as this thread is concerned, it appears that this sailing was not up to the standards of a normal Celebrity cruise, for whatever reason. The posters who were adversely affected made their experience known, & it is appreciated. I think that most of the responses, (those that actually are responses & not those with an obvious agenda), have been sympathetic to those affected.
Reply With Quote
  #99 (permalink)  
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRed
On this particular site, there have been 2 or 3 of you who have insinuated that the people on this cruise were nasty, making more of it than it was, and questioned why we did things repeatedly if they "were so bad".
I think people on ANY board who launch personal attacks for someone posting negatives SHOULD be ignored, in either direction. Paul was trying to state that. First timers like myself and others who wanted to be honest here, have been harshly spoken about by the minority for voicing what happened, and because SOME people, God bless them, who actually didn't have the problems we had on the ship had a great time, that was used to show we must over fabricating.
Paul is just trying to make nice on this board, and keep it peaceful, the way it should be. A transfer of information, for all to use to judge what they want to do, and to be informed. Why some chose to make it so personal is beyond me. Was there a reason to be so hostile?
You speak of the negative attacks on people, yet you did the same. Yu tried to negate what we have been saying, leaving us no recourse but to defend ourselves, which NEVER should have happened.
I agree with you on the one point though....everyone should refrain from the personal attacks, and print experiences only. If you don't agree with what was written, keep your mouth shut and move on. There's no reason to knock anyone for what THEY had happen to them, is there?

Have a great day, and to the many on here who have kept our heads up on this thread, thank you so much. Your civility is very much appreciated.
If you will check my posts, I made no negative attacks only observations and quotes of what others have said. I did not do any of the things you stated in the first paragraph. I was attacked first with the "cheerleader" comment by the usual suspect.

I did make the comment about the first time posters but that is a common tactic on these boards. You people were not "hit and run" as occurs occasionally and had some legitimate complaints.

However, that does not negate the fact that others have said they had a wonderful cruise and that there was a group of people who were described as the "nastiest" some have seen on cruises.

By the way, Thank you Rich...

Don
Reply With Quote
  #100 (permalink)  
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 193
Send a message via Skype™ to scapel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea
Well said, Don.

I would hope that you do keep providing these boards with your information & insights. Your voice of reason is a welcome balance to those who do seem to have a vendetta against Celebrity.

As far as this thread is concerned, it appears that this sailing was not up to the standards of a normal Celebrity cruise, for whatever reason. The posters who were adversely affected made their experience known, & it is appreciated. I think that most of the responses, (those that actually are responses & not those with an obvious agenda), have been sympathetic to those affected.
I found this link on a report on a cruise that looks like the same cruise. It seemed to be a good factual report with good honest opinions and not really knocking anyone.
http://cruisediva.com/summit_4.htm
I am a loyal Celebrity cruiser, and am shamed by the decesion to allow the ship to depart a cruise on one pod. I think that should have been a safety issue and may have been hidden from the Coast Guard. Of course I don't know the real particular issues and have only limited knowledge of the pods, but I think the bearings are not able to take the use that they need to. Overheating sounds reasonable and lack of proper design also to prevent that overheating and excessive wear.
__________________
Joe
Reply With Quote
  #101 (permalink)  
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,088
Default

The review you referenced was not the cruise that this thread was started about. There was a mechanical problem on this cruise but it was not pod related.

Don
Reply With Quote
  #102 (permalink)  
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 18
Default

I for one have appreciated all the support I received from this board. I was a little shocked at the experience I had on the Infinity. I never met any nasty people on the ship. In fact everyone I met was very nice - and very disappointed in the service and condition of the ship. I did witness a few verbal confrontations between a passenger and a staff member but some people handle their disappointment differently than others. I knew those complaining loudly had good reason. I wondered why some people try to make you feel like you should ignore the problems on this ship. I paid a lot of money to go on this cruise. I also had airfare and hotel costs added to the bill. The worst part is that my husband doesn't get a lot of vacation time at work. We will not be cruising next month or anytime soon. I booked this cruise a year in advance and had looked forward to a great Celebrity experience but I certainly didn't receive it.

From what I read even those that said they had a good time admitted there were several problems on this cruise. Someone who stayed on board for the next sailing even commented that the ship was cleaner and more organized for the next sailing. I just feel those things should have been in place for our cruise.
Reply With Quote
  #103 (permalink)  
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 193
Send a message via Skype™ to scapel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired
The review you referenced was not the cruise that this thread was started about. There was a mechanical problem on this cruise but it was not pod related.

Don
Oh my, another mess up.
__________________
Joe
Reply With Quote
  #104 (permalink)  
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired
The review you referenced was not the cruise that this thread was started about. There was a mechanical problem on this cruise but it was not pod related.

Don
Oh my, another mess up.
Not really, it was referenced in this thread so easy to confuse....

Don
Reply With Quote
  #105 (permalink)  
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 16
Default

I ran out to the CDC site to read the report for the 03 Dec 2008 sailing of the Infinity. Sure enough, most scores for that ship where in the high 90's with the score of 86 being by far the worst score ever.

I then produced a similar report for the 24 Dec 2008 Golden Princess sailing and lo and behold that ship also scored an 86 with all other previous scores being 97+.

My guess is that there has recently been a changing of the guard at the CDC - perhaps the forum admin could do a report on this thing? Two ships getting whacked with the same unusually low score in the same month looks like a change in inspection teams/tactics to me.

It would be interesting to see if all ships out of that port in the month of December suffered a similar fate.

Now I was on the 03 Dec 2008 sailing of the Infinity and there is really no excuse for the problems I experienced on that cruise; however, it looks as if the CDC report may have some additional factors in play.
Reply With Quote
  #106 (permalink)  
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:15 PM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,977
Default

Well my sailing was at a different time then yours. I did explain all the things that were wrong. The most surprising was the food wasn't. So I owe you a pro, because there was something that impressed me. Our table mates had food allergies and the Maitre d came out every night with the next nights menu and made certain that order for the next night was correct. No nuts, and no dairy. The dining staff is one of the few things that impressed me on Celebrity they did a great job. They tried thier best to bring out different food and work with us. I don't normally send food back; but I had to on Celebrity. To be fair I also did it once on Carnival (Freedom) with the diet Pumpkin pie; seriously carnival lose that recipe. They replaced with an Apple pie that was tasty.
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #107 (permalink)  
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14
Default

Well, two months has passed and numerous communications with Celebrity regarding the Infinity. Although we have move up the Celebrity hierarchy in discussions, they continue to offer their 'promise' that they have corrected all problems. I'm not sure how that resonates with folks who used precious vacation time and spent money for the cruise, transportation to the cruise, etc.
Considering that the issues were numerous and continuous, I felt that Celebrity would step up and rectify the situation considering that the passengers were 'captive' on the ship and had no other alternatives.
I don't feel that a few dollars in a refund can make up for the cost of the cruise and other expenses connected to it. It is sad. I think that once Celebrity had a quality experience, but don't feel that is not the case any more.
Reply With Quote
  #108 (permalink)  
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascape
Well, two months has passed and numerous communications with Celebrity regarding the Infinity. Although we have move up the Celebrity hierarchy in discussions, they continue to offer their 'promise' that they have corrected all problems. I'm not sure how that resonates with folks who used precious vacation time and spent money for the cruise, transportation to the cruise, etc.
Considering that the issues were numerous and continuous, I felt that Celebrity would step up and rectify the situation considering that the passengers were 'captive' on the ship and had no other alternatives.
I don't feel that a few dollars in a refund can make up for the cost of the cruise and other expenses connected to it. It is sad. I think that once Celebrity had a quality experience, but don't feel that is not the case any more.
Exactly what is it that you would like Celebrity to do to make you happy??
Reply With Quote
  #109 (permalink)  
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by seascape
Well, two months has passed and numerous communications with Celebrity regarding the Infinity. Although we have move up the Celebrity hierarchy in discussions, they continue to offer their 'promise' that they have corrected all problems. I'm not sure how that resonates with folks who used precious vacation time and spent money for the cruise, transportation to the cruise, etc.
Considering that the issues were numerous and continuous, I felt that Celebrity would step up and rectify the situation considering that the passengers were 'captive' on the ship and had no other alternatives.
I don't feel that a few dollars in a refund can make up for the cost of the cruise and other expenses connected to it. It is sad. I think that once Celebrity had a quality experience, but don't feel that is not the case any more.
Exactly what is it that you would like Celebrity to do to make you happy??
That's a good question. I would like to see Celebrity step up and assume responsibility for a poorly delivered product. Putting the breakdown aside, there was no real excuse for everything else that occured on the ship.
I feel that a cruise line has guests in a captive situation who are unable to rectify their own situations regarding food or hotel accomodations as they would be able to do in a resort environment. Passengers contract for a cruise which includes reasonable food, service, and lodging. Many folks save for a long time in order to vacation and some were even celebrating a once-in-a-lifetime event. When guests are at a resort, it is easy to check out if dissatisfied and move on, but not possible on a ship. Simply handing out 'company lines' about how they will fix things for the next passengers doesn't rectify anything with the passengers receiving shoddy treatment.
While I'm sure there will always be a passenger or two on every cruise that is dissatisfied, having so many upset passengers on a particular cruise should send a clear message to the cruise line that something indeed was wrong.
Celebrity returned a few dollars to each passenger due to the mechanical breakdown, but that in no way compensated passengers for the conditions on the ship. The last time I experience a mechanical problem on a Celebrity ship, all else was fine and the cruise was enjoyable. This was not the case on this cruise and Celebrity's response to passenger issues resulted in distaste for the the cruise line.
Cruising, done right, is a wonderful way to vacation and I will continue to cruise, but do plan on avoiding the Celebrity brand.
Reply With Quote
  #110 (permalink)  
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default

I still don't understand exactly what it is your looking for. You said that they promised that the problems were remedied. What do you want them to do; turn back the clock & redo the cruise? Perhaps your looking for additional compensation? I realize that you were not happy with the sailing, & rightfully so, but if nothing they do will make you happy, you should just move on & show your displeasure with them by spending your vacation dollars elsewhere.

Happy cruising!
Reply With Quote
  #111 (permalink)  
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14
Default

Actually, many folks on this cruise expressed dissatisfaction and expressed that they will be taking their vacation dollars elsewhere.
Again, my dissatisfaction with Celebrity isn't about the breakdown, but about the environment aboard the ship and the subsequent reaction by Celebrity.
While the rest of my family already gave up on Celebrity after another 'mechanical breakdown' a few years ago while we were on a family cruise, we gave Celebrity a 'pass' and another chance. However, when half of your cruises with Celebrity result in breakdowns and onboard conditions are undesirable, perhaps it is time to turn our cruise dollars over to lines that appreciate our business instead of 'taking chances' with Celebrity.
It is sad that some cruise line passengers are so willing to give a 'pass' to poor conditions on a ship and yet expect accountablity from other industries.
Reply With Quote
  #112 (permalink)  
Old February 8th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascape
Actually, many folks on this cruise expressed dissatisfaction and expressed that they will be taking their vacation dollars elsewhere.
Again, my dissatisfaction with Celebrity isn't about the breakdown, but about the environment aboard the ship and the subsequent reaction by Celebrity.
While the rest of my family already gave up on Celebrity after another 'mechanical breakdown' a few years ago while we were on a family cruise, we gave Celebrity a 'pass' and another chance. However, when half of your cruises with Celebrity result in breakdowns and onboard conditions are undesirable, perhaps it is time to turn our cruise dollars over to lines that appreciate our business instead of 'taking chances' with Celebrity.
It is sad that some cruise line passengers are so willing to give a 'pass' to poor conditions on a ship and yet expect accountablity from other industries.
I agree with you 100%, perhaps it is time to turn your cruise dollars over to lines that appreciate your business instead of 'taking chances' with Celebrity, but I'm still curious as to what it is that you expected Celebrity to do after the fact. In an earlier post you stated that you "felt that Celebrity would step up and rectify the situation considering that the passengers were 'captive' on the ship and had no other alternatives." They told you that they did rectify the problems. What else, short of a refund could they possibly do?
Reply With Quote
  #113 (permalink)  
Old February 8th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14
Default

I don't think we were looking for something specific, but rather something that showed respect for their passengers. We did receive a refund for a missed port, but consideration for conditions on the ship were ignored. Although no one enjoys a breakdown on a cruise, it is understandable that things like that can happen. Old food lying around in a buffet area, lack of coffee, unavailability of cups, moldy bathrooms, urine smells, disfunctioning elevators, broken air-conditioning, flooding in some rooms, cold food that should be served warm, luke warm salads, etc. are not things that any passenger should experience. Most of these are things that could and should be controlled by the management of the ship.
Most folks would probably check out of a resort that provided that kind of environment, but passengers do not have that kind of choice when sailing.
Again, passengers booked this cruise and paid honest money for a reasonable experience. That is not what Celebrity delivered and they, in no way, have done anything to show good-will toward the affected passengers in hopes of earning their repeat business.
Reply With Quote
  #114 (permalink)  
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascape
I don't think we were looking for something specific, but rather something that showed respect for their passengers. We did receive a refund for a missed port, but consideration for conditions on the ship were ignored.....
........Again, passengers booked this cruise and paid honest money for a reasonable experience. That is not what Celebrity delivered and they, in no way, have done anything to show good-will toward the affected passengers in hopes of earning their repeat business.
Specifically what could they have done after the fact "that showed respect for the passengers"?

Specifically what could they have done after the fact "to show good-will toward the affected passengers in hopes of earning their repeat business".
Reply With Quote
  #115 (permalink)  
Old February 9th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14
Default

As I said, it would have made so many folks feel better if Celebrity had extended itself in some way to show that they valued their customers and would appreciate their repeat business. I'm not thinking of anything in particular, although I feel most people could name a list. I was simply looking to know that Celebrity appreciated their customers and would work for return business. If does appear as if Celebrity is unaware of how to do this and should take a couple of lessons from other businesses and industries. Not many folks would tolerate purchasing a product at a fair price and having something shoddy delivered in its place. As cruisers, we should expect fair and reasonable conditions for the price of the cruise. I'm sorry that you do not seem to feel the same.[/list]
Reply With Quote
  #116 (permalink)  
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default

I never said that I disagreed with you. You had a horrible cruise, I agree. All I'm trying to find out is exactly what it is you want Celebrity to do, plain & simple. It's apparent that there will not be a direct answer forthcoming, so I'll just bow out.

Whichever line you choose in the future, I sincerely hope that your future cruises are enjoyable.
Reply With Quote
  #117 (permalink)  
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascape
As I said, it would have made so many folks feel better if Celebrity had extended itself in some way to show that they valued their customers and would appreciate their repeat business. I'm not thinking of anything in particular, although I feel most people could name a list. I was simply looking to know that Celebrity appreciated their customers and would work for return business. If does appear as if Celebrity is unaware of how to do this and should take a couple of lessons from other businesses and industries. Not many folks would tolerate purchasing a product at a fair price and having something shoddy delivered in its place. As cruisers, we should expect fair and reasonable conditions for the price of the cruise. I'm sorry that you do not seem to feel the same.[/list]
seascape,

Speaking as one who has "been there" with Celebrity, I know exactly what you mean. I think it is just that some people have a hard time putting themselves in some one else's place and understanding how they would feel if they were treated that way. As you said it is all about purchasing a product that is delivered as promised, which to me is nothing more than a matter of principle.

In fact, not all Celebrity cruise turn out as yours did, but the problems stems from the lack of consistency of Celebrity ships.

I surly can not speak for you but my biggest problem would be as you said a lack of respect for their customers and what is IMHO, at times a sense of complete arrogance, by Celebrity, when some one does complain about sub-standard treatment. Most cruise lines do strive to be fair and make things right when there are problems but IMHO, Celebrity falls way short in this department.

Debra
__________________
With integrity nothing else matters; without it nothing else matters.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #118 (permalink)  
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2
Default Review from Celebrity Millenium...Jan 18th Sailing.

We just sailed on the Millenium, January 18th Auckland to Sydney, and want to post the following review. The countries of New Zealand and Australia are amazing, and the citizens of those countries are even more amazing. The places we visted was the only saving grace for this trip.

We booked 4 cabins, and all 8 of us walked away with the same view. Many more on the ship also fealt the same way...

Celebrity Cruiseline, and more specifically the Millenium are undoubtedly the worst cruise we have EVER taken. The entertainement, cuisine, staff (especially shore excursion staff), and cleanliness on the ship were below average at best, and I feel this is being quite conservative. Here are the issues we faced:

Cuisine: The food in the dining room was at best average on some nights and below average on the rest, nothing like the acolades Celebrity speaks of in their commercials and advertisements. Meats were consistently overcooked, and even after they were sent back, came to us overcooked again. Our waiter was just as frustrated as we were, and tried his best to accomodate us. The lamb was among the worst ever tasted. In fact, 2 people from our party became so frustrated from the dinners, after the 4th they decided not to come back the dining room and just order room service. As far as the food on the 10th deck buffet, the plates were often covered with old food, and the glasses not properly washed. The only thing warm items on the buffet were the fresh cooked pasta and the salad (which obviously should not be warm). As much as I hate to say it, the food on Carnival was much better than anything we had on this cruise.

Ships Condition: Since the ship was just refurbished in 2004, I knew there would be some wear and tear. What I saw looked like old beat up motel rather than a luxury cruise. Carpet was torn, and loose ends made for easy tripping hazards, especially for the outdoor carpeting on the look out on the platform above deck 11 forward. There was the smell of raw sewage by the entrance to the main dining room on many occasions, and also the smell of urine near our cabin. There was also the smell and site of mold in many places throughout the ship. My stateroom and my parents stateroom had mildew all over the bathroom shower, and the shower curtain. The toilet seat was chipped and appeared to have dried urine stains that could not be wiped off the toilet seat. Both of the balconies we had were covered in mold and mildew. We couldn't even sit in the seats because they were so bad, the seats were finally cleaned after several days into the cruise, however the balconies remained in a disgusting condition. The beds were among the most uncomfortable we have slept in. Again, not something you expect based on the advertising Celebrity does.

Shore Excusions: The one shore excursion touted by Celebrity as being "top notch" was absolutely the WORST shore excursion we have been on, and the biggest waste of money. What occurred on the excursion was nothing like what was described in the overview. For $225pp we expected much more than a 6 hour bus ride out of a 7 hour excursion. What little we did get off of the bus was spent rushing us around to get back on the bus. In addition, the group ran out of water, beer, and other refreshments. When brought to the shore excursion desk's attention we received nothing but excuses for the tour guide, and a very cold attitude. Finally they came back and said the best they could do is offer us a $45pp credit. This is unacceptable.

Activity Staff: This is the only part of the cruise where I fealt they went above and beyond to try and take people's minds off of how terrible of a cruise ship the Millenium is. Valerie, Drew, Katie, Ben, and Bilge did an exceptional job when given very little to work with. My hats are off to them. I wish the other staff on the cruise had the same attitude they did.

Overall, this is the worst cruise we have ever been on. There is no possbile way I could ever refer a friend or colleague to a Celebrity cruise. I have had much better bookings on Carnival, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean than this. I feel that for the money we paid for this cruise, and the level of service that was provided by ship's staff, and the quality of the ammenities and food, we would have had better service at a Holiday Inn. The sad thing is that all 8 of us in the booking feel the same way, and there were many more passengers that also shared the same views. When it comes to Celebrity, all I have to say is "Buyer Beware"

I sent an email to Celebrity earlier this week, and received a call from one of the customer service associates. This person could only apologize and stated that the this was not typical of Celebrity and asked for us to give them a second chance by offering us a $100 credit toward a future Celebrity cruise. I had asked for a refund for the shore excusion that we booked through Celebrity because of the discrepencies, and he stated we received the service (which was not what was described/advertised) and therefore would not issue a refund. The conversation was very scripted, and further reinforces my negative view of Celebrity. I am even thinking of cancelling my cruise with Royal Caribbean because of their customer service attitude.
Reply With Quote
  #119 (permalink)  
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7
Default

depending on the outcome. We did NOT get the cruise we were promised. All we got was a boat with many many problems.
Reply With Quote
  #120 (permalink)  
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: florida
Posts: 26
Default

To Schadm---don't cancel your RC cruise. My husband and I were in the same predicament. We were on the Infinity's Dec. 3 trip. It was a disaster with unprecedented complaints, RIGHT after it got out of dry dock. A RC followed, that was already booked. I had the same reservations as you...what were we in for? The RC was MUCH better.
When our boat got on this message board, we were told from some of them, INCLUDING the cruise line itself, that our experience wasn't the norm. We were told they win "many awards", but that doesn't mean squat when YOUR experience is a bad one. Now here's another ship that is leaving passengers very disappointed. We all know there are problems on every ship, and we expect and accept that, but thins like what we all have described is unacceptable and beyond the norm. I hope they don't develop a pattern because they are losing a LOT of customers. maybe they don't care?
I know RC owns both llines, and they are trying to keep the Celebrity brand separated in "class" but they are falling short miserably. Someone important over there needs to hold a HUGE customer service training class for all the service people on their ships, and do a FULL once over on them, making sure their appearance is in line with what they tout, or at the very LEAST, what is considered to be clean and sanitary to the majority.
People are really hurting for money right now. They need to understand that when we all shell out very hard earned bucks in this economy we are doing so to try to have a short "escape" from it all, and not ADD to it by giving sub par service and a terrible time.
Again, don't cancel your RC cruise. At the very least it will be better than your last one. It can only go up from here, right?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
back, burns, celebrity, cruise, cruises, dirty, facial, found, hot, ships, stone, unhappy

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How unhappy would you be if....... Trip Chit - Chat for Cruisers 9 February 12th, 2009 11:21 AM
Unhappy people Cassandra Travel Gripes! 11 November 5th, 2006 11:41 PM
Unhappy with Vantage Tours BenO Chit - Chat for Cruisers 0 September 21st, 2005 01:27 PM
unhappy campers al heinlein Holland America 41 April 17th, 2003 07:47 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1