Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Beginner

You are right, my wife and I talked about it and we aren't going to cancel our RC cruise, my experiences on RC have all been great, with nothing to complain about. Celebrity just sent me an email requesting me to complete an additional online survey and I presented the facts again to them (3 times now: Onboard Survey, Website, and now a post cruise online survey) so hopefully they'll get the hint and we can get everything sorted out. One thing I will say, the worst cruise is better than the best day at work!!!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to bselmo

Thank you for venting. We haqppen to love Celebrity, especially the M class ships. Sorry for your "bad" experience, but I cannot agree with any of your comments. I'm sure HAL will be happy to have you back.
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:53 PM
Beginner

Default Mercury - March 2009 Sailing to HI (15 Days)

Mercury – A Disappointment

We sailed aboard Mercury’s 15-Day Cruise from San Diego to Hawaii (March 15th Sailing). This cruise was not what it was marketed to be. Luxury and Opulence - NOT. The ship itself (we later found out is being sold in a couple of years) was in a state of neglect. Rust abounds on the hull of the ship. I stopped counting how many burned out lights I found on the ship. Twelve alone on the major wall of the Champagne/Martini Bars (the entire décor effect of both areas depends on this one wall). Public decks are terrible and much neglected. The pools were dingy and green. The entire inventory of lounge chairs on the decks is dirty, grimy and worn and need to be replaced. The entire ship is vastly outdated. We have sailed on 2 ships the same age on RCL and we found both had been updated and kept relevant. Mercury, however, is a sad and outdated ship that has not been kept up. No matter how great the ports of call this ship’s state of disrepair brings everything down.
When we arrived in San Diego we boarded the bus to go to the ship. The bus passed the ship with no explanation and next thing you know we ended up at the Convention Center. There we learned that on the last sailing the ship had 200+ people come down with the Noro Virus. So this meant that we were sailing on a sick ship. While the entire F&B Team were under a code RED Protocol, I witnessed so many violations of basic Health Codes. Double and Triple contaminations happening right in front of the guests at the omelet stations are just one example.
Our Stateroom Attendant: Shubert was incredible. He was without a doubt the very best stateroom attendant we have ever had. With the Health problems the ship had it took housekeeping until day 2 to get back up to basic standards. The entire ship was obviously so far behind the eight ball on our departure day that they just did the bare minimum to get us on our way. For example our Royal Suite was stocked with only 2 towels, 2 hand towels, and 2 washcloths. When I asked if this was standard par for a Royal Suite I was told that they would bring more towels immediately (which they did at once).
Our Butler was inconsistent and paled in comparison to our Stateroom Attendant.
The Dining Room Experience was great not necessarily because of the service or food quality but had more to do with our dining companions. Our waiter and back waiter were very competent but never went above and beyond. On previous cruises on RCL we’ve had wait staff that bent over backwards on silly things that literally made the trips. Again Celebrity is supposed to be a step above RCL but sadly again this line or this ship fell behind.
The menus were unimaginative, dull, and boring. They even repeated the same menu from Day One to Day Fifteen - I guess 15 separate menus are too much to ask on a 15 day cruise. The food quality was the definition of mediocrity. Certainly other reviews of Mercury’s Food Quality slipping were our experience. I do have to say that the wine program was great.
The Spa - I had a hot stone massage and I ended up with 3 burns on my back and one burn on my chest from the "hot" stones. So I think that's enough said for my spa experience.
Bottom line - this cruise was not worth the price paid. The ship itself and a total of 10 days at sea brought down the entire cruise experience. I love sea days but sea days trapped on a rusting poorly maintained ship is certainly no fun. My thoughts are that no cruise on this ship in a Royal Suite would be worth the price paid.
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:54 PM
Beginner

Default Mercury - March 15, 2009 -- 15 days to HI

We sailed aboard Mercury’s 15-Day Cruise from San Diego to Hawaii (March 15th Sailing). This cruise was not what it was marketed to be. Luxury and Opulence - NOT. The ship itself (we later found out is being sold in a couple of years) was in a state of neglect. Rust abounds on the hull of the ship. I stopped counting how many burned out lights I found on the ship. Twelve alone on the major wall of the Champagne/Martini Bars (the entire décor effect of both areas depends on this one wall). Public decks are terrible and much neglected. The pools were dingy and green. The entire inventory of lounge chairs on the decks is dirty, grimy and worn and need to be replaced. The entire ship is vastly outdated. We have sailed on 2 ships the same age on RCL and we found both had been updated and kept relevant. Mercury, however, is a sad and outdated ship that has not been kept up. No matter how great the ports of call this ship’s state of disrepair brings everything down.
When we arrived in San Diego we boarded the bus to go to the ship. The bus passed the ship with no explanation and next thing you know we ended up at the Convention Center. There we learned that on the last sailing the ship had 200+ people come down with the Noro Virus. So this meant that we were sailing on a sick ship. While the entire F&B Team were under a code RED Protocol, I witnessed so many violations of basic Health Codes. Double and Triple contaminations happening right in front of the guests at the omelet stations are just one example.
Our Stateroom Attendant: Shubert was incredible. He was without a doubt the very best stateroom attendant we have ever had. With the Health problems the ship had it took housekeeping until day 2 to get back up to basic standards. The entire ship was obviously so far behind the eight ball on our departure day that they just did the bare minimum to get us on our way. For example our Royal Suite was stocked with only 2 towels, 2 hand towels, and 2 washcloths. When I asked if this was standard par for a Royal Suite I was told that they would bring more towels immediately (which they did at once).
The Dining Room Experience was great not necessarily because of the service or food quality but had more to do with our dining companions. Our waiter and back waiter were very competent but never went above and beyond. On previous cruises on RCL we’ve had wait staff that bent over backwards on silly things that literally made the trips. Again Celebrity is supposed to be a step above RCL but sadly again this line or this ship fell behind.
The menus were unimaginative, dull, and boring. They even repeated the same menu from Day One to Day Fifteen - I guess 15 separate menus are too much to ask on a 15 day cruise. The food quality was the definition of mediocrity. Certainly other reviews of Mercury’s Food Quality slipping were our experience. I do have to say that the wine program was great.
The Spa - I had a hot stone massage and I ended up with 3 burns on my back and one burn on my chest from the "hot" stones. So I think that's enough said for my spa experience.
Bottom line - this cruise was not worth the price paid. The ship itself and a total of 10 days at sea brought down the entire cruise experience. I love sea days but sea days trapped on a rusting poorly maintained ship is certainly no fun. My thoughts are that no cruise on this ship in a Royal Suite would be worth the price paid.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Mercury - March 15, 2009 -- 15 days to HI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXvegas1968

I am not going to give any personal opinions however this poster has been posting on all the common boards and has not received a very good reception. There is even one thread on one of the boards telling everyone to disregard his review. These answers are from people who were actually cruising with the poster.

One of the distortions has to do with the lights in the bar the OP referenced. Turns out that many of these lights were turned off by the bartender to create a mood.

Before you put down my post about this I would suggest you go out and read the posts about this reviewer. (Debra you listening) I haven't seen such scathing comments in years.

Again I was not on the cruise only passing on what others have said...
Don
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Captain

Quote:

TXvegas1968,

Sorry to hear about experience on the Mercury. I can understand your frustration when you are told you are booking a "five-star, premium" cruise ship and then discover that that is certainly not the reality of your cruise. I agree with you 100% in that what you saw and experienced on the Mercury is just not acceptable.

Isn't it strange how some will read an entire post that goes into great detail describing their cruise and come away with one point they want to make to defend the cruise line that they support!!! That, while just ignoring all the other problems that were detailed.

In my opinion from many Celebrity cruises is that the level of ship maintenance has suffered greatly in the past four years. I remember the Galaxy a couple of years ago which was sailing in very poor condition.

I for one appreciate all reviews and opinions from people who were actually there and tend to disregard those who proclaim to know so much more than you do, but yet were not even on your cruise.

I hope that you will disregard the comments by anyone who quotes threads from another board that advises others to disregard a review from a poster who they do not agree with; it may be common place on the "dark side" but it is certainly not the standard here on cruisemates.

To the new posters who took the time to post here, you should be aware that most of us on cruisemates are more interested in reading honest reviews and getting honest opinions and are not interested in snide or demeaning comments against any poster who reports a problem on their cruise. I hope that the new posters on this thread will continue to post on cruisemates and know that most of us are just here for sharing truthful information.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Debra
Quote:

TXvegas1968,

Sorry to hear about experience on the Mercury. I can understand your frustration when you are told you are booking a "five-star, premium" cruise ship and then discover that that is certainly not the reality of your cruise. I agree with you 100% in that what you saw and experienced on the Mercury is just not acceptable.

Isn't it strange how some will read an entire post that goes into great detail describing their cruise and come away with one point they want to make to defend the cruise line that they support!!! That, while just ignoring all the other problems that were detailed.

In my opinion from many Celebrity cruises is that the level of ship maintenance has suffered greatly in the past four years. I remember the Galaxy a couple of years ago which was sailing in very poor condition.

I for one appreciate all reviews and opinions from people who were actually there and tend to disregard those who proclaim to know so much more than you do, but yet were not even on your cruise.

I hope that you will disregard the comments by anyone who quotes threads from another board that advises others to disregard a review from a poster who they do not agree with; it may be common place on the "dark side" but it is certainly not the standard here on cruisemates.

To the new posters who took the time to post here, you should be aware that most of us on cruisemates are more interested in reading honest reviews and getting honest opinions and are not interested in snide or demeaning comments against any poster who reports a problem on their cruise. I hope that the new posters on this thread will continue to post on cruisemates and know that most of us are just here for sharing truthful information.

Debra
Why isn't it fair to ask posters to read reviews whether they be on this board or others without naming the board. [edited for content] I would suggest that if people would take the time to read other reviews they would find that most of the posters could not find the problems the poster complains of [edited for content].

I might point out that nowhere did I quote from a thread on another board.

I also did not tell anyone to disregard the review as you stated.

I am not trying to protect Celebrity because they do enough bad things but just trying to let those who wish to assess a review see all sides.

Don
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Beginner

I am new to this site. I am sad. My Celebrity cruise on the Summit was not a good one.

I had no operating shower the entire cruise and had to go many floors up to use the shower by the adult pool. I had one little bar of soap all week, despite asking the cabin steward for more toiletries and soap. One sheet was dark green and the other was white, the entire week. The window had so much humidity between the glass that I could not see out. The floor and shower stall tiles were black with mold and mildew (I have many photographs). There was a huge pile of dirt and hair in the corner (I have photographs). The shower curtain was literally shredded and dirty at the bottom. (I have photographs.) The sink plug wouldn't hold the water. The mirror had a wide band of black all around it.

I was injured - not only by hitting my toes on a large industrial cart that was left in the hallway (the front wheel which I could not easily see at first, was sticking out into the hallway), and then by tripping on an uneven sink hole under the carpet while limping to the dining room after injuring my toes! I tried to see a nurse or doctor or at least get some surgical tape to tape up my toes but I was given every excuse in the book (doctor is at dinner, medical centre is closed, can't have tape unless I pay to open the medical centre and pay to see the doctor and pay $35. for a little roll of tape).

I was charged on my credit card in triplicate for my cabin, even though I had already paid double to go alone. Essentially, I was charged the equivalent of six passengers. It took one month to get some of the charges reversed.

I wrote emails to Celebrity but they said the safety hazards were not reported by me, to them, ahead of time, (before I was injured) so therefore they are not responsible. ? I have this in writing. Is it just me, or are most injuries due to unforeseen safety hazards? However, I see many posts on both this site and cruisecritic.com that state that the passengers complained of construction materials being left in the hallways and passengers being scalded by showers that didn't work properly, in the fall and winter of 2008 and 2009, so Celebrity was well aware of these problems. Obviously these safety hazards had been reported by others many times and Celebrity was aware of them and did nothing to prevent them or my injuries.

Right now I have been denied any type of compensation or refund by Celebrity's risk department and after 6 weeks of being told that someone from Customer Service would call me regarding the photographs of my filthy washroom, I have heard from nobody. I sent them photographs of my foot injury, emergency room reports from the hospital after I came home, photographs of my filthy washroom and shredded shower curtain and dirty toilet and mold and mildew everywhere, and have jumped through every hoop they have demanded of me, but I still get the run around. I even sent them a court case "Noble v. Carnival" which shows how to easily overcome the Jurisdictional issue that Celebrity throws in people's face when anyone threatens to take them to court - it is not true that you have to file your lawsuit in Miami - you can do it anywhere. Also, despite what Celebrity says, you can easily overcome what it says in the contract. In fact, I never received any type of contract due to all of the errors in my original booking.

I am sorry to say that the cruise industry as a whole is experiencing many complaints and that the food and customer service keeps deteriorating. Maybe there are too many cruise lines and too many ships, all scurryig to get thousands of passengers off and on these ships every week, and have gotten out of control.

And I do feel sorry for the junior staff and lower level crew members, as they get paid very little and to me, they try very hard. It is the call centres, the higher management on the ship, and the management handling post cruise complaints that seem to be the problem.

I cruise many times a year. Am at a loss to what cruise line I try next, as there are so many complaints against Princess, HAL, RCCL and Carnival on these boards. I have gone on many other cruise lines, but expected more of Celebrity as I always had the impression they were a cut above.

I will continue to pursue Celebrity as the problems I incurred are unacceptable.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Captain

Wow, really sorry to hear of your problems Annista. It really bites when you realize you are giving your money to a hospitality organization...and all you want are: value, service, quality and ____(fill in the blank).

I wouldn't give up either. Keep on them, and as I always say, "Vote with your Dollars."

I just returned from an awful Princess experience. You bet I'm voting with my dollars. Interesting, many don't understand how my partner and I could have such a miserable time on Princess...similar to how many "X" loyal passengers wonder how you could have had such a negative experience. The fact is, you did and it's too bad.

If you decide to give X a try again, I really hope it's more positive for you.
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by annista
I am new to this site. I am sad. My Celebrity cruise on the Summit was not a good one.

I had no operating shower the entire cruise and had to go many floors up to use the shower by the adult pool. I had one little bar of soap all week, despite asking the cabin steward for more toiletries and soap. One sheet was dark green and the other was white, the entire week. The window had so much humidity between the glass that I could not see out. The floor and shower stall tiles were black with mold and mildew (I have many photographs). There was a huge pile of dirt and hair in the corner (I have photographs). The shower curtain was literally shredded and dirty at the bottom. (I have photographs.) The sink plug wouldn't hold the water. The mirror had a wide band of black all around it.

I was injured - not only by hitting my toes on a large industrial cart that was left in the hallway (the front wheel which I could not easily see at first, was sticking out into the hallway), and then by tripping on an uneven sink hole under the carpet while limping to the dining room after injuring my toes! I tried to see a nurse or doctor or at least get some surgical tape to tape up my toes but I was given every excuse in the book (doctor is at dinner, medical centre is closed, can't have tape unless I pay to open the medical centre and pay to see the doctor and pay $35. for a little roll of tape).

I was charged on my credit card in triplicate for my cabin, even though I had already paid double to go alone. Essentially, I was charged the equivalent of six passengers. It took one month to get some of the charges reversed.

I wrote emails to Celebrity but they said the safety hazards were not reported by me, to them, ahead of time, (before I was injured) so therefore they are not responsible. ? I have this in writing. Is it just me, or are most injuries due to unforeseen safety hazards? However, I see many posts on both this site and cruisecritic.com that state that the passengers complained of construction materials being left in the hallways and passengers being scalded by showers that didn't work properly, in the fall and winter of 2008 and 2009, so Celebrity was well aware of these problems. Obviously these safety hazards had been reported by others many times and Celebrity was aware of them and did nothing to prevent them or my injuries.

Right now I have been denied any type of compensation or refund by Celebrity's risk department and after 6 weeks of being told that someone from Customer Service would call me regarding the photographs of my filthy washroom, I have heard from nobody. I sent them photographs of my foot injury, emergency room reports from the hospital after I came home, photographs of my filthy washroom and shredded shower curtain and dirty toilet and mold and mildew everywhere, and have jumped through every hoop they have demanded of me, but I still get the run around. I even sent them a court case "Noble v. Carnival" which shows how to easily overcome the Jurisdictional issue that Celebrity throws in people's face when anyone threatens to take them to court - it is not true that you have to file your lawsuit in Miami - you can do it anywhere. Also, despite what Celebrity says, you can easily overcome what it says in the contract. In fact, I never received any type of contract due to all of the errors in my original booking.

I am sorry to say that the cruise industry as a whole is experiencing many complaints and that the food and customer service keeps deteriorating. Maybe there are too many cruise lines and too many ships, all scurryig to get thousands of passengers off and on these ships every week, and have gotten out of control.

And I do feel sorry for the junior staff and lower level crew members, as they get paid very little and to me, they try very hard. It is the call centres, the higher management on the ship, and the management handling post cruise complaints that seem to be the problem.

I cruise many times a year. Am at a loss to what cruise line I try next, as there are so many complaints against Princess, HAL, RCCL and Carnival on these boards. I have gone on many other cruise lines, but expected more of Celebrity as I always had the impression they were a cut above.

I will continue to pursue Celebrity as the problems I incurred are unacceptable.
Hi Annista,

Sorry to hear about the inexcusable treatment that you received. INMHO four or five years ago, Celebrity used to be a cut above other cruise lines, but now IMHO, Celebrity is a rather large cut below other mainstream cruise lines. Sounds like the only way you could have received proper medical treatment for a problem caused by Celebrity is to threaten a lawsuit. It is very sad that it has to be that way.

Right now Celebrity and a few other cruise lines seem to feel that they can do anything that they want and the passenger has no recourse. Some on this board even subscribe to that theory. Hang in there and keep after them as it is unfortunate but it is the only way to get problems resolved.

I would recommend trying Princess, HAL or most any cruise line and I would doubt very much it that kind of treatment would be allowed to happen.

Debra

Winston Churchill

Old May 10th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Beginner

Thanks, Debra.

I truly think the only way that Celebrity will sit up and take notice is if people start filing small claims court actions against them. I costs very little and you can easily represent yourself. Once they start having to pay a lawyer to defend them, they will think again about settling. Especially if there is a lot of evidence against them.

The things that irk me the most is the following:

-Things are bound to go wrong, but it is Celebrity's failure to respond to problems that makes the situation worse.
- Despite me cutting and pasting other passengers complaints from various internet sites, who complained about the identical issues I did, (about either cold or scalding water in the showers, mold and mildew in the bathrooms, etc.,, ) Celebrity continues to email me back stating that these things didn't happen, aren't a problem, and nobody else has ever complained about them. Their blatant denial of problems, despite me having photographs of the horrible mold and mildew, is infuriating.
-Celebrity offers no customer service, and will not even correct its obvious accounting errors, without having to call every day for a month.
-Celebrity refuses to consider that they have ruined a passenger's vacation, and it adds insult to injury to have to come home and start writing letters to try to get some of the problems straightened out.

And I would like to point out, that when you see a poster constantly asking another poster what it would take to make that complaining poster happy, that is usually the cruise line trying to find out what they can do to shut the person up. All cruise lines monitor the boards every day. The posters don't have the authority to give someone compensation or an OBC, so their persistence in wanting to know what the complaining poster wants, is a tip off it is the cruise line.

This happened with someone on another cruise website that had a disasterous Princess cruise. Some poster didn't comment on anything in their post, other than to ask the complaining poster if they would accept a free cabin to end their problems. This was obviously Princess feeling out the complaining poster to get them off of there. the complaining poster wrote back and said, no, that he/she could not take a chance on being stranded in a foreign country again with all of the problems Princess created, and that their flight was costly, so even though they get a free cheap cabin, the cost of their flight is not reimbursed and they didn't want to take a chance and pay for another expensive flight and have another bad cruise. That poster offering the cabin didn't comment or wasn't seen on their again.

I really think I will soon post my photographs on one of these sites, (or direct people to the photographs) and then the people who bash the other people on here, can't say these problems don't exist. I think if people saw my photos, they would consider the standards on the ship absolutely unacceptable. I just can't understand why, if Celebrity has had so many complaints about mold and mildew since last fall and all winter and spring, they continue to book passengers into cabins without doing something to clean the mold and mildew. I almost cried when I walked into my cabin and washroom and saw the dirty bathroom. I immediately emailed my cousins, who were going to book with Celebrity, to tell them not to.

Time will tell if Celebrity responds properly to my complaints.
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Admiral

[quote="annista"]
-And I would like to point out, that when you see a poster constantly asking another poster what it would take to make that complaining poster happy, that is usually the cruise line trying to find out what they can do to shut the person up. All cruise lines monitor the boards every day. The posters don't have the authority to give someone compensation or an OBC, so their persistence in wanting to know what the complaining poster wants, is a tip off it is the cruise line.
quote]

I am not commenting on your cruise but you stated in your first post that you are new to the boards.

In light of this fact, I would like to know how you know that the comments you referenced above are written by someone from the cruise line. I have seen comments like that on hundreds of posts from people I know personally and they certainly don't work for a cruise line.

Your making that type of allegation is your opinion. I could for example state that a person coming on this board all the time who constantly bashes Celebrity works for Princess or Carnival and it would have the same validity.

Again, I am making no reference to your cruise..

Don
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Beginner

I know because it was verified by the cruise line that they monitor the boards and often try to find out what the person wants. Many cruise lines have told me they monitor the boards, so if you are such an authority, you would know that. Staff on the ship have told me that the boards are monitored. No big secret.

In the Princess case, when the person said they did not want a free cabin, lo and behold they were suddenly contacted by Princess and a different type of offer was made. Up to that time, the person got nowhere with Princess. Again, Princess admitted to them that they posted that offer of a free cabin. Why would a normal person make an offer of a cabin when they have no control over the person getting it?

If people write on the boards that they are going on a certain cruise on a certain date, and will be reporting daily from the ship about their experience, then suddenly they get invited to all sorts of Captain's events and free champagne and staff contstantly asking them if there is anything they can do for them. That proves that the cruise line knows what goes on, on these boards.

I am not constantly bashing Celebrity - this is my first time on these boards, so please stop bashing me.

It certainly appears that your role on these boards are to intimidate new posters. Sorry it hasn't worked for me.

And the way you can tell that I am not working for another cruise line, is that I have the photographs, telephone answering machine messages from Celebrity, and triplicate charges on my credit card, to prove my complaints. Let me know if you would like to see them.
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I know because it was verified by the cruise line that they monitor the boards and often try to find out what the person wants. Many cruise lines have told me they monitor the boards, so if you are such an authority, you would know that. Staff on the ship have told me that the boards are monitored. No big secret.

In the Princess case, when the person said they did not want a free cabin, lo and behold they were suddenly contacted by Princess and a different type of offer was made. Up to that time, the person got nowhere with Princess. Again, Princess admitted to them that they posted that offer of a free cabin. Why would a normal person make an offer of a cabin when they have no control over the person getting it?

If people write on the boards that they are going on a certain cruise on a certain date, and will be reporting daily from the ship about their experience, then suddenly they get invited to all sorts of Captain's events and free champagne and staff contstantly asking them if there is anything they can do for them. That proves that the cruise line knows what goes on, on these boards.

I am not constantly bashing Celebrity - this is my first time on these boards, so please stop bashing me.

It certainly appears that your role on these boards are to intimidate new posters. Sorry it hasn't worked for me.

And the way you can tell that I am not working for another cruise line, is that I have the photographs, telephone answering machine messages from Celebrity, and triplicate charges on my credit card, to prove my complaints. Let me know if you would like to see them.
I would suggest that you read my post over again, I was very careful not to bash you or attack you stating twice that I was not commenting about your cruise.

I never suggested that you were working for another company only giving a hypothetical that my saying someone else working for Carnival or Princess is as valid as your saying that an individual checking on your cruise is working for Celebrity. I stand behind that and never referred to you as the individual. As a matter of fact there is someone else on this board who does the same thing.

As far as your comments about me being on here to to intimadate other posters I would suggest you go back and check my posting history. You will find that I am usually the first one to announce Celebrity new press releases or things that may be changing on the ships and this involves things that have nothing to do with Celebrity. I do call certain things as I see them but if you don't like that too bad.

I am not trying to intimidate or scare you but resent that if someone disagrees with you that you say they work for a cruise company.

You stated that the cruise lines read these boards and that is certainly true but there has never been a substantiated case that they make up fake names and pretend to be someone else. I wish I could say the same about other posters...
Old May 10th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
And the way you can tell that I am not working for another cruise line, is that I have the photographs, telephone answering machine messages from Celebrity, and triplicate charges on my credit card, to prove my complaints
The triple charges to your credit card are easily handled by having the credit card company challenge the charges. They will automatically reverse the charges until the cruise line (or any company you deal with) can authenticate the billing.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Beginner

I wish that were true in my case. My credit card company left all three charges on my card and are investigating, but it is taking months. In the meantime, they found it so absurd that Celebrity charged my card once before the cruise, once while on the cruise, and once after the cruise, that they cancelled my card and issued me a new one. It still meant many hours on the phone trying to get Celebrity to reverse the charges. Also, they insisted I miss my formal night dinner on the ship to come to the accounting office and explain why I was on the ship without paying. I took my credit card statement showing the charges, and my credit card, and my booking confirmation to prove I had paid, and they promised there would be no more problems - but yet went ahead and charged me the second and third times. No apologies, no corrections.
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
. I took my credit card statement showing the charges, and my credit card, and my booking confirmation to prove I had paid, and they promised there would be no more problems - but yet went ahead and charged me the second and third times. No apologies, no corrections.
Gees.. amazing that you;d pack your credit card statement to take on a cruise. Have to admit I've never thought of packing it

Curious what credit card company it was that wouldn't challenge the charges. That is normal routine business practice with every company I've ever dealt with.

Even back when I was the vendor we were required to respond with signed and approved charge slips for any contested charge within 7 days or the charges were reversed... with Visa, MC, and Am Ex..... that I dealt with.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Captain

Quote:
Thanks, Debra.

I truly think the only way that Celebrity will sit up and take notice is if people start filing small claims court actions against them. I costs very little and you can easily represent yourself. Once they start having to pay a lawyer to defend them, they will think again about settling. Especially if there is a lot of evidence against them.

The things that irk me the most is the following:

-Things are bound to go wrong, but it is Celebrity's failure to respond to problems that makes the situation worse.
- Despite me cutting and pasting other passengers complaints from various internet sites, who complained about the identical issues I did, (about either cold or scalding water in the showers, mold and mildew in the bathrooms, etc.,, ) Celebrity continues to email me back stating that these things didn't happen, aren't a problem, and nobody else has ever complained about them. Their blatant denial of problems, despite me having photographs of the horrible mold and mildew, is infuriating.
-Celebrity offers no customer service, and will not even correct its obvious accounting errors, without having to call every day for a month.
-Celebrity refuses to consider that they have ruined a passenger's vacation, and it adds insult to injury to have to come home and start writing letters to try to get some of the problems straightened out.

And I would like to point out, that when you see a poster constantly asking another poster what it would take to make that complaining poster happy, that is usually the cruise line trying to find out what they can do to shut the person up. All cruise lines monitor the boards every day. The posters don't have the authority to give someone compensation or an OBC, so their persistence in wanting to know what the complaining poster wants, is a tip off it is the cruise line.

This happened with someone on another cruise website that had a disasterous Princess cruise. Some poster didn't comment on anything in their post, other than to ask the complaining poster if they would accept a free cabin to end their problems. This was obviously Princess feeling out the complaining poster to get them off of there. the complaining poster wrote back and said, no, that he/she could not take a chance on being stranded in a foreign country again with all of the problems Princess created, and that their flight was costly, so even though they get a free cheap cabin, the cost of their flight is not reimbursed and they didn't want to take a chance and pay for another expensive flight and have another bad cruise. That poster offering the cabin didn't comment or wasn't seen on their again.

I really think I will soon post my photographs on one of these sites, (or direct people to the photographs) and then the people who bash the other people on here, can't say these problems don't exist. I think if people saw my photos, they would consider the standards on the ship absolutely unacceptable. I just can't understand why, if Celebrity has had so many complaints about mold and mildew since last fall and all winter and spring, they continue to book passengers into cabins without doing something to clean the mold and mildew. I almost cried when I walked into my cabin and washroom and saw the dirty bathroom. I immediately emailed my cousins, who were going to book with Celebrity, to tell them not to.

Time will tell if Celebrity responds properly to my complaints.
Annista, you are very welcome and I give you a lot of credit for refusing to be bullied or intimidated by some comments on this board. Basically, with a couple of exceptions, this board is a friendly board with most posters looking for unbiased cruise information and is open to all opinions.

As you said Celebrity's "blatant denial of problems" despite your documentation is, in my opinion, a problem that stems from the very top of Celebrity management. As you said things can go wrong on any cruise line, once in awhile, but there is just no excuse for as you reported "mold and mildew in the bathrooms". BTW, I have seen the same report about many other Celebrity ships and those kinds of conditions are just not acceptable no matter what the excuses or spin that may be offered.

The most overlooked item in cruising is the way that a cruise line reacts when there is a problem. That can speak volumes about the kind of company you are dealing with.

I just returned from a b2b on the Island Princess and I have to admit that after sailing on this ship twice before, several years ago, and knowing it was about the same age as some Celebrity ships, I wondered what kind of condition it would be in. Much to my delight, and trust me I did pay attention to detail, the ship was in excellent condition. Had I not known that the Island Princess was an older ship, I would have thought it was no more than a few months old; there was no mold or mildew in the bathrooms, no frayed or worn carpets, no worn or stained furniture in any of the areas that I saw.

There will always be a handful of people who just don't understand that in certain cases there is such a thing as a matter of principle. When a cruise line tries to represent itself as a "premium" cruise line then there is an obligation to fulfill that promise. In my book, all the spin and denials in the world can't change that fact.

I wish you good luck in your effort to get Celebrity to respond properly to your complaints.

Hang in there and good luck with your efforts.

Debra

Winston Churchill