Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
Beginner

Default Century-Celebrity ?'s

Hello Everyone!
I just booked a cruise for the first week of March very spontaneously. It is a 4 day Western Caribbean. I am not familiar with Celebrity at all, and not sure what to expect. I've been trying to read as much as I can, but I have a few questions.
With the "sea account" , not sure if that is the correct term, how much must you deposit ? How many formal nights? And are dressy capris acceptable for casual/informal?
And if anyone has sailed this ship, how is the food (examples would be great) and what are the activities on board?
Sorry for so many questions, I didn't much info. when I booked, so any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Beginner

I've been on the Century Western cruise twice. (Two years in a row). It's an excellent cruise. We set up a cash account and paid each day as we charged to it. You don't need to put cash into the account when you get on board. You can settle up at the end of the cruise if that's what you wish to do. There is one formal night. It's the night they serve lobster in the main dining room. Most men wore suits and women dresses. You didn't see any tuxedos but many women wore long dresses. Each night in the main dining room you had a choice of four or five entrees, with one being the chef's recommendation. We always picked that one. There was always a fish, a some time of steak, etc. The food was excellent. The first year we went, we ordered escargo each night and it was wonderful. Second year we were disapponted to see if was not on the menu. When we mentioned it to our waiter, he called the maitre'd and they made arrangements to have escargo made special for us every evening. We were very impressed. If you have any further questions about Century you can email me at glbenoit@comcast.net.
Old January 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Passenger

Default celebrity century

i just got back from the soap opera cruise on the century. what a great ship. celebrity is so much better than carnival. the service, the food was great. we hopefully will be on celebrity next year for our cruise.
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Century-Celebrity ?'s

tffknee3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hello Everyone!
I just booked a cruise for the first week of March very spontaneously. It is a 4 day Western Caribbean. I am not familiar with Celebrity at all, and not sure what to expect. I've been trying to read as much as I can, but I have a few questions.
With the "sea account" , not sure if that is the correct term, how much must you deposit ?
First, Celebrity uses the term "SeaPass Account" for shipboard accounts, but the accounts work basically the same way across all cruise lines regardless of what the cruise line calls them. The usual practice is to submit credit card information when you fill out the passenger information forms, which also include your immigration data, before embarkation. The embarkation staff will take an imprint of the card when you check in. You'll receive a complete statement of your charges on the last night of the cruise, and the charge will automatically go to your credit card before you disembark.

But if you wish to settle your shipboard account in cash, you can do so. Just communicate that intent when you check in, then go to the purser's desk before you leave the ship and settle your account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
How many formal nights?
There's usually only one "formal" evening on the short (four night and five night) cruises. It's usually on the second evening unless the ship's schedule forces a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
And are dressy capris acceptable for casual/informal?
Yes, but they might be a bit warm in the Caribbean so you might find that a skirt is a better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
And if anyone has sailed this ship, how is the food (examples would be great) and what are the activities on board?
Sorry for so many questions, I didn't much info. when I booked, so any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Celebrity's product seems to be very consistent from ship to ship.

Celebrity has long had a reputation for the best quality of cuisine in the "premium" segment of the cruise industry, with everything prepared onboard using fresh ingredients. Style of cuisine is another matter, and very much a matter of personal tastes. Historically, the line featured the decidely French cuisine of Master Executive Chef Michel Roux, which drew more admirers than detractors but was not everybody's preference. The line recently hired Elizabeth Blau and Associates as cullinary consultants after announcing the retirement of Chef Roux. I noticed the welcome beginnings of a shift away from the dominance of French cuisine, without compromising quality, on my last cruise.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.