Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Passenger

Default Celebrity vs. Princess

We just completed our first ever Celebrity cruise on the Summit Jan. 17th sailing from San Juan.

We have sailed Princess three times (Grand, Caribbean, Crown) and have really become devoted to Princess.

We thought we would try Celebrity as something new and drew the following comparison:

Embarkation/Debarkation- Celebrity was so smooth. Easiest so far. Literally took two minutes to embark and we were off the ship at 7:45 am on debarkation day.

Cabins- Princess wins this. Seemed to be better use of space on Princess although shower was slightly large on Celebrity. Balconies on Summit all the same size (small) and we have become accustomed to the larger balconies on the Carib deck of Princess.

Ship- I think overall, Princess wins this expecially with the aft pool deck which is quite nice and usually quiet. Summit was in need of some TLC and very rusty. Railing needed to be sanded, stained and varnished in a
bad way. Princess just has the edge in appearance although Summit was
easy to get around in.

Main Dining Room Food- Very disappointed in Celebrity main dining room food. Thought Princess was as good or better and if the food is Celebrities big selling point, then they failed. Deserts were very lacking and main courses were just of marginal quality. I will call this a tie between Princess and Celebrity.

Buffet- Princess wins this with just overall better selection and quality. Celebrity serves all buffet food which doesn't give you the choice to get
the exact piece you want.

Upscale Dining Room- Celebrity takes the prize here. The Normandie Restaurant was fantastic and probably the best I have been on in eleven cruises.

Tastings- Celebrity has multiple wine and spirt tastings for just about any taste and do a great job. We did an "walk around the world" wine tasting where you tasted 12 wines from 6 countries, a red and white from each, for $15 per person. Great value!! Celebrity actually has wine sommiliers and Princess does not. Celebrity is very helpful with wine pairings and questions.

Pizza- I know this is a strange category but Princess kicks butt on the pizza although Celebrity's room service pizza was far better than its
pizza station pizza. The room service pizza was individual size pizzas that
seemd to have better crust and more sauce and toppings.

Service- I will say that Celebrity was a cut above. Just little things all week long although our cabin steward was a little lacking.

Overall, I give a very slight nod to Princess although I would not hesitate to do Celebrity again. I just sense a better value with Princess and an overall better experience.

KennyG
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Captain

Kennygeorge,

ThankKennygeorge for a very fair and accurate comparison of Princess and Celebrity.
I would agree with most of your opinions, but might add that there is even a bigger edge for Princess when you take into consideration things like a very good passenger loyalty program that is offered by Princess and the practically non-existent value of the Celebrity past passenger program. There is also the chance of free upgrades when sailing Princess and not to mention that IMHO, overall. Princess ships are in better condition and maintenanied much better than Celebrity ships. Several years ago I would give the nod to Celebrity, but since that time, having sailed both lines many times, I have found the service and food is still about equal on either line, but when everything is considered Princess wins by a mile in my opinion.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Captain

We recently completed our 2nd Princess cuise & plan to go back to Celebrity. I know it's been a long time since we cruised but we were somewhat disapointed with Princess. THe Crown was too large of a ship for us, too many pax- incredible lines for embarkation, ports, etc. Food was okay, a few items were excellent.

Looking forward to trying the Mercury again.
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub
We recently completed our 2nd Princess cuise & plan to go back to Celebrity. I know it's been a long time since we cruised but we were somewhat disapointed with Princess. THe Crown was too large of a ship for us, too many pax- incredible lines for embarkation, ports, etc. Food was okay, a few items were excellent.

Looking forward to trying the Mercury again.
How about trying the Solstice?

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Default PRINCESS VS CELEBRITY

WE have cruised Celebrity trans-atlantics three times... and are about to embark on our first Princess cruise, the Pacific Princess..I know that there are Princess People and Celebrity People.. but my first impression of Princess People is NOT GOOD.. Not on t his board, but on another board several of us have had he misfortune of "meeting".. the most obnoxious people every on the internet..their clique and their clique only matter. In the nine years of cruising with Celebrity have I ever run into this...so much so that I dread running into these people. I hope the Princess experience once we are on the ship is much more pleasant. I'm determined to have a great time inspite of this particular small group. [/i]
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Captain

It was interesting to read the original post. We too are looking forward to our first Princess cruise, and it will be on the Pacific Princess on the Amazon next month.

I prefer mid-size ships such as the Constellation, Millennium and Infinity (and Summit). We are die-hard Celebrity fans and even in this tanked economy are share holders...I don't have too many bad things to say about Celebrity.

Our last trip on Celebrity was a Transatlantic out of Barcelona, last September. The only disastisfaction was the food. IMHO it was slacking...formal night with the traditional lobster tail? Blech-it was a sorry excuse for a lobster tail. I'm not a huge eater, but enjoy lobster night. It was sliced in half, maybe 3 oz. and served with shrimp in sauce. What happened?

We complained loudly on the feedback forms and email survey. We were even contacted by a Celebrity agent to say they were continually striving to improve. I understand that not everyone can be pleased...customer service is a difficult job, especially with cruisers who have that "sense of entitlement" attitude.

The sushi and pizza stations on Celebrity are great...I agree that the room-service pizza (on this last cruise) was better than the station. The station declined, this past cruise. The breakfast buffet was great, as was the informal dining, Grill and specialty restaurant (OceanLiners).

The reason we are taking our first Princess cruise? A few months ago we were looking for a more "exotic" cruise. I signed up to receive mailers from Princess, including their cool video. A couple of weeks later, they pinged me on this Amazon cruise...offering us 1/2 off a mini-suite! :o Friends we have in the area, who are Princess customers, did not and could not get this special. Wow! That is marketing. That's what attracted us...and in the several years we've been with Celebrity, and the thousands we've spent in suites, upgrades, on-board venues, etc...have never received from them such a great special.

I'll say this: If Princess continues to treat us in this way, and we enjoy our upcoming cruise on the Pacific Princess...we'll be back.
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the review. Will be on the Summit (and with Celebrity) for the first time in May and it will be interesting to compare the experience of my other group members (Carnival, NCL cruisers) to Celebrity.
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackie
Thanks for the review. Will be on the Summit (and with Celebrity) for the first time in May and it will be interesting to compare the experience of my other group members (Carnival, NCL cruisers) to Celebrity.
I have cruised twice on the Summit, and we certainly enjoyed that ship.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Princess vs Celebrity

I too feel the lines are close in quality, but I feel the service staffing levels and dining room service is by far better on Celebrity.
On my recent TransAtlantic on Princess the crew performed at such a low level of energy and really didn't care what the passenger wants or needs were. Princess is just a little short of crew in many areas.

Will I sail Princess again, yes, do I like there ships decor, yes, but the Celebrity attitude is just better and staffing levels are better.
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Default Service/Attitude

Have to admit that on three Celebrity cruises I have found the service to be absolutely outstanding. We did have a room steward we weren't happy with but went down to the Pursers desk and never had to ask twice for anything.. then again it wasn't CC category that cruise.. We will be going on the NCL Gem the end of NOVEMBEr and I hear that the attitude and service from the Captain all the way down is outstanding.. and of course the Princess about a month..give or take a day..