Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Beginner

Default Casual Dining on Constellation

Hello....can someone tell me a little bit about the (evening) casual dining option on Constellation?

On our upcoming cruise, my husband and I want to dine more casually instead of in the main dining room. We plan on taking only casual clothes with us like shorts/tee shirts, capris etc.

I understand that I have to make reservations for the casual dining in the evening and that there is a service charge as well.

What is the evening casual dining dress code?

Can we wear tee shirts and shorts or should I bring something dressier like Dockers for my husband?

Will they throw us out if we show up in shorts or jeans?

And what is the service charge amount? Will it be automatically charged to our account?

Can I make a standing reservation for the entire cruise or do I have to make a new reservation each day?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.....thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Captain

We sailed the Connie last Feb. and ate in the casual dining venue on 4 occasions and loved it. A limited menu-a couple of appetizers,4 entrees, 2 salads, couple of dessert. There is also a sushi/chinese buffet at the other end of the Lido. We'd have sushi as an appetizer then be seated for dinner. Very nice atmosphere-more relaxed than the dining room. And excellent service. The wait staff are novices training for the main dining room and they really go out of their way to please. The 'charge' is $2 per person but we usually gave more. You can put it on your ship account but we treated it as a tip and gave it directly to our waiter. As far as what to wear-jeans, capris, dockers would not be a problem. And probably bermuda length walking shorts. I don't think short shorts would be appropriate.
Hope you enjoy the Constellation as much as we did-be sure and check out Perry Grant in Micheals Club!
We never had a problem getting a reservation, even late the same day. I don't know if you can make a reservation for the entire cruise but I don't see why not.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Beginner

Thanks so much for the info. We've been on the Constellation before but only ate in the main dining room for dinner and never bothered to check out the casual dining...other than the sushi bar where we were always first in line!

We don't care about the limited menu. In fact, we did casual dining on HAL and discovered that their menu was practically the same as the formal dining room. Perhaps it will be the same on the Constellation.

I don't plan on bringing any short shorts so I guess I don't have to worry about dressing inappropriately but I'm glad that we can dress more casually without a problem.

And I'll be sure to check out Perry Grant. Is he the blonde guy? When Michael's club stopped being a cigar bar, we stopped going there but I'll make it a point to stop in this trip.

Thanks again for your help!
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Casual Dining on Constellation

squirrel224,

Are you aware that Celebrity has dropped the "informal" evenings from the program, so evening "casual" attire is now acceptable in the main dining room except on the "formal" evenings?

With regard to Celebrity's "Alternative Casual Dining," the information provided by "jacdenv24" appears to be basically correct. Additionally, Celebrity's ships also have a pizza and pasta bar, which also has salads, that's available to everybody every night and does not require a reservation.

>> Aboard MV Celebrity Galaxy and MV Celebrity Mercury, the pizza and pasta bar is on the starboard side at the forward end of the Magrodome, directly abaft the main buffet area. It's incorrectly labelled as a "grill" on the deck plans.

>> Aboard the four ships of the Celebrity Millennium class, the pasta bar, which also has salads, is the after main serving area on the starboard side of the buffet. The pizza is at a separate window on the starboard side of the center complex at the aft end of the buffet area.

The pizza and pasta stations remain open until 10:00 PM or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We don't care about the limited menu. In fact, we did casual dining on HAL and discovered that their menu was practically the same as the formal dining room. Perhaps it will be the same on the Constellation.
Many cruise lines offer basically the same dinner menus in their casual dining areas as in the main dining room. Celebirty, however, does NOT do that. Rather, Celebrity's "Alternative Casual Dining" offers a rotation of three (3) different menus, so you'll see the same menus every third day if you choose to eat there every night of your cruise. You'll also miss out on the special features of the "formal" evenings if you make that election.

You also might want to consider that Celebrity offers very little in the way of "Alternative Causal Entertainment" so you may find that your options for the rest of the evening are very limited if you elect not to dress appropriately for the occasion. MV Celebrity Galaxy and MV Celebrity Mercury now have a solo singer/musician in the Magrodome, and the four ships of the Celebrity Millennium class have a solo singer/musican on the open deck abaft the buffet area. And there's also the television in your cabin. That's about it.

Overall, Celebrity's "Alternative Casual Dining" is a reasonable "safety valve" if you decide that you are not in the mood to go to the main dining room on an occasional evening during the cruise, but it clearly is NOT intended to accommodate passengers who don't want to dine in the main dining room at all during a cruise. If you really intend not to dine in the main dining room, you probably would be happier on another line.

Norm.
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Beginner

Norm, thanks for the additional information.

Yes, we were aware that Celebrity dropped the informal dress code and that with the exception of formal night, the dress code is "smart casual".

My husband and I have been cruising for quite a while and we have always dined in the main dining room. On our last cruise, we really
enjoyed the casual dining experience on HAL and based on that, we thought this would be a good option on our upcoming cruise on the Constellation.

But after what you told me, I may reconsider at least some of my wardrobe so that we can eat in the dining room as well.

Thanks again!

Squirrel 224
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Admiral

squirrel224,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm, thanks for the additional information.
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My husband and I have been cruising for quite a while and we have always dined in the main dining room. On our last cruise, we really
enjoyed the casual dining experience on HAL and based on that, we thought this would be a good option on our upcoming cruise on the Constellation.

But after what you told me, I may reconsider at least some of my wardrobe so that we can eat in the dining room as well.
Yes, what works well on one cruise line might well not be a good plan on another cruise line. Each line has its own unique personality and style that's right for some folks and not optimal for others. On Celebrity, I strongly recommend eating dinner in the main dining room as a matter of normal course.

Besides, on Celebrity, your tablemates probably will be very disappointed if you don't show up for dinner!

Norm.
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Beginner

Norm,

You're right about each cruise line having it's own personality. Which is why we usually stick to Celebrity or HAL (no rock climbing walls or skating rinks!)

And after what you advised, my husband and I have changed our minds about the casual dining.

Not so much because of the dress code, but because of the food choices. After I showed him the sample menus of the casual dining vs. the main dining, we decided to opt for the main dining. If we have to bring more dress clothes, so be it.

Maybe we'll do the casual dining thing on one or two nights instead.

And I doubt anyone would miss us at dinner....we usually sit at a table for two. We're not antisocial...just hopeless romantics!

Thanks again for the advice.

squirrel224
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Admiral

squirrel224,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
You're right about each cruise line having it's own personality. Which is why we usually stick to Celebrity or HAL (no rock climbing walls or skating rinks!)
Well, I'm not interested in the rock climbing wall, but I probably would enjoy the skating rink and the ice show if I were to go on a ship that has them... but I really can't say that I miss them on ships that don't....

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
And after what you advised, my husband and I have changed our minds about the casual dining.

Not so much because of the dress code, but because of the food choices. After I showed him the sample menus of the casual dining vs. the main dining, we decided to opt for the main dining. If we have to bring more dress clothes, so be it.
Now that Celebrity has dropped the "informal" evenings, the only "extra" (?) clothes that you'll need are your snazzy duds for the "formal" evenings and perhaps a couple skirts if you normally wear shorts during the day. I normally bring polo shirts rather than "T" shirts because they are acceptable for "casual" evenings as well as for daytime wear and, likewise, women's tops can do double duty. If your husband wears khakis or slacks during the day anyway, he is set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Maybe we'll do the casual dining thing on one or two nights instead.
That's entirely up to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
And I doubt anyone would miss us at dinner....we usually sit at a table for two. We're not antisocial...just hopeless romantics!
Hmmm....

I have long regarded the camraderie of tablemates as one of the highlights of a cruise, and found that there's plenty of time for romance after dinner.

But, of course, YMMV....

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thanks again for the advice.
You're welcome!

And have a fantastic cruise, whatever you decide!

Norm.
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Beginner

We just returned from an 11 night cruise on Connie. We found the Casual Dining a comfortable change from the formal dining room. If you do elect to dine casual, may I suggest the Bacon Spinach for your salad choice and the scallops as your appetizer. These two selections brought us back to casual dining on 2 occasions. Casual Dining also offers an Entree "special" each evening.