Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to krisy0731
Default Tipping on Celebrity Ships

One of my peves I do not like is having the tipping included on my tab, I rather get the envelopes at the start of the cruise and hand it out myself during the cruise or when I'm ready to do it. Is this just me, or how do you feel about it, what I do when I check in is tell them that I will be taking care of my own tipping of my cabin person and whom ever else I deal with. Ive done 23 cruises and I much rather tip myself.

Sailing 3/16/2009, 11 night cruise on the Constillation

Thank you,
Christy
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Passenger

Celebrity does not force you to do the automatic tipping. They give you a sheet of paper in your cabin on the second day that allows you to sign up to have the automatic tipping billed to your stateroom cabin. If you want to do this option you can add additional money but it must be submitted to guest services 3 days prior to end of cruise for them to be able to change your shipboard account. Or you can do the classic tipping in the envelope. They will give you the envelopes on the 2nd to last night if you did not sign up for automatic tipping.
Old February 16th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfordboy
Celebrity does not force you to do the automatic tipping. They give you a sheet of paper in your cabin on the second day that allows you to sign up to have the automatic tipping billed to your stateroom cabin. If you want to do this option you can add additional money but it must be submitted to guest services 3 days prior to end of cruise for them to be able to change your shipboard account. Or you can do the classic tipping in the envelope. They will give you the envelopes on the 2nd to last night if you did not sign up for automatic tipping.
Stanfordboy:

As of Jan of this year the policy you mentioned has been changed. They now automatically put all tips on your shipboard account. It is your responsibility to have them removed. Some have reported they have had difficulty removing them..

Gratuities
For your convenience, we will automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion: $11.50 per person per day for guests in staterooms ($12.00 per person per day for guests in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms and $15.00 per person per day for guests in Suites). These service gratuities are based on the following recommended amounts:

Don
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

We've always tipped in cash instead of having the tips on our account. For our upcoming 14 day Panama Canal/Infinity cruise though we're finally going to just have them on the room account rather than carrying that cash. We can always add on.
Angela Z.
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Beginner

Thanks so much for the infomation !! I have cruised just about every cruise line, but this will be my first Celebrity cruise , I have always tipped by using the envelopes I like that idea, most of the time I tip them before the last day, this way you can pretty much tell how your sevice has been and is going to be, I like the idea of giving it to them personally so I know for sure they get it. Just the way I do it.......I can not wait until we cruise next month.
Happy Sailing......
Christy
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Admiral

We sailed on the Millie on January 18th which was the first cruise for the new auto tipping. We used it for this cruise but willl not do so again.

There were two amounts that made no sense at all. $1 for some unnamed personal and then another $1.25 for some unnamed personal.

I would much prefer to give the gratuity ourselves. We did give the extra to a few people ourselves but I prefer to all.

Quite frankly, I don't like giving gratuities to an non-entity.

As for the system itself, there were a lot of problems on this cruise, I'm sort of assuming because it was new. The front desk were refusing to remove them for those who wanted it. There were a lot of very angry people I must day.

Hopefully by the time we go on the Infinity in May this will be sorted out as I don't intend to leave them on our account.
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

You know that the auto tipping is here to stay. On NCL there is no choice. It is called a service charge and cannot be removed OM
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN
You know that the auto tipping is here to stay. On NCL there is no choice. It is called is service charge and cannot be removed OM
And if they called it a service charge I would live with it however Celebrity doesn't. As we haven't sailed on NCL for a number of years, do they expect you to tip the staff over and above their "service charge?" I should know this but I don't.

Until they change the name and call it what it is, I will continue to be the one who decides on who has earned a gratuity from me and the amount I feel it is worth.
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

NCL does not expect any more than their service charge. I guess if they wanted more money they would just raise the "service charge". This system makes everthing simple for them.. OM
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Captain

I guess everyone is different. I would rather have it all included, so I don't have to distribute the envelopes. In the past (before January) we always passed out our tip envelopes...It was cute to see the staff on their best behavior the day before and day of the envelope passing.

I wasn't aware that with NCL, it could not be removed.

To think the staff really lives off our gratuities says something...
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Familiar Face

We just came off the SYD-AUK run of the Millenium and I think this was the first time we have been on the auto-tip routine. At first I was somewhat concerned the the motivation factor may have been removed, but I have to say the service was great.

As I heard a million times down under, "No worries":-)

I guess there were simply too many cheap SOBs stiffing the staff so they had to do something.
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am a big fan of the auto-tipping program. It is extremely convenient and I have not seen it cause a deterioration in service. I found it a hassle to "make sure" we had the right amount of cash at the end of the cruise and to allocate it into each envelope.

I do tip additional to crew members who, I feel, have gone above and beyond my expectations. That doesn't mean I give additional gratuities to all service staff.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Beginner

We just got back from our 11 night cruise on the Constillation, it was a very nice cruise, the ship was so so,,,,the service was good and the food was really good. What impressed us the most was the kids program called FUN FACTORY!!! I have never had our 7 yr old in such a awesome program...better than most schools or even private schools , camps..etc... I can not express or say enough about how wonderful it was, she never wanted to leave.....you could drop your kids off at 9am and not see them again until 1am .....we did not do that......the morning part of the Fun Factory was educational then the after noon and evening were different things, if you had a child you received a program each night in your stateroom with your ships letter, the kids security was wonderful.....for those of you who have wanted to take kids try this ship, many people told us that they thought Carnival was a ship for kids so they did tried that cruise line and after doing this line they will not go back to Carnival if they take their kids. \
I declined to have my tips added on to my bill, I like to be in control and just make sure they get their money ( I know they do), I like to give what I think is right and not have someone adding it in for me...On the way home we were put on the bus to the Ft Lauderdales airport, and once we go there they said we had to go to Maimi ,,,,,we thought they knew what was going on ....they told us which bus to get on......we gave them our flight and airport.......etc..... we had no time to go back to the Pier and get on a new bus.....we had to take a taxi from Ft. l. to Maimi airport almost 80.00 !! I was furious....and they broke my new carry on when they tossed it under the bus luggage area........going home was hell.....but on the ship was great.......I will do Celebrity again .....we are planning on trip now...........Christy
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Beginner

Default Tipping

I have never resented tipping all those wonderful service people on the cruises, they make our trips better. I was doing the automatic tipping as soon as it came out - it makes it easy, you don't have to get bills, etc. I don't know why anyone wouldn't choose this option.
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Auto-tipping is here to stay. It will be a non- removeable "service charge". No more stiffs.. Everybody will get a tip. OM.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tipping

marietta55,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have never resented tipping all those wonderful service people on the cruises, they make our trips better. I was doing the automatic tipping as soon as it came out - it makes it easy, you don't have to get bills, etc. I don't know why anyone wouldn't choose this option.
Celebrity has a history of "suggesting" tips for certain members of the staff for whom tips are not customary, and for whom no other cruise line "suggests" a tip. Celebrity's automatic tipping system does not allow a passenger to remove a gratuity that's inappropriate (or, for that matter, to reduce the tip for an individual whose performance falls short of expectations). Thus, the only alternative to paying a tip that's contrary to the custom of the industry is is to get the envelopes and deposit envelope made out to that individual in the trash bin, empty.

Which is precisely what I will continue to do until Celebrity allows me to delete a tip that is contrary to the custom of the industry.

BTW, this is NOT a question of being "cheap" or of trying to deny crew members just income. Indeed, I consistently give a tip to the Assistant Cabin Steward, using the same guidelines as for the Assistant Waiter in the restaurant, when cruising on Celebrity even though the line's tipping policy does not "suggest" doing so. This amount is considerably more than the "suggested" tip that I find to be objectionable.

Norm.
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM
First Mate

We also like to autotipping, but I have a scenario that I am wondering if it would (or how it would) work.

On our last voyage on Constellation, we never dined once in the main dining room. Instead, we opted to use the alternative dining by reservation, or the pasta bar, or stir fry. Now it so happens that we were fortunate that our gratuities were pre-paid, so the need for any adjustments wasn't an issue.

Now what if the gratuities were not pre-paid, and we didn't use the main dining room at all? If we opted to use autotipping, could we adjust the gratuities such that we removed the tips for the main dining room?

Or would we be better off doing the envelopes?

Is autotipping an all or nothing thing, or can it be adjusted as described above?

Thoughts, comments, observations, opinions......?

Thanks,

Sid1962
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Auto tipping is all or none, suggest you use the envelopes. You should know however that those people who would serve you in the dining room are also serving you in the buffet and other areas...

Don
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Remember that the tips are really the "wage" of the servics persons.. Even tho you do not show up for dinner in the main evening dinning room, that waiter and the cruise line was expecting a tip or a "wage" from you. Before the ship left the dock your tip or "wage" was factored in to the money that that waiter and busboy was to receive. Just because you did not go and use their service, you still owe the waiter the money(wage) that he and the cruise line was expecting for his "wage" for that trip. If you did not go to the evening meal there still was one or two empty chairs at some table reserved for you to use and those empty chairs did not produce any hopes for income for the waiter. So what are tips too you, are really wages to the staff. It may not seem fair to you, but if you think about it in the form of a missing wage and not as a tip it will make more since. Now, if tips should be wages or not, then that is a whole different subject. But for now, for good or bad, tips are wages. OM
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Remember that the tips are really the "wage" of the servics persons.. Even tho you do not show up for dinner in the main evening dinning room, that waiter and the cruise line was expecting a tip or a "wage" from you. Before the ship left the dock your tip or "wage" was factored in to the money that that waiter and busboy was to receive. Just because you did not go and use their service, you still owe the waiter the money(wage) that he and the cruise line was expecting for his "wage" for that trip. If you did not go to the evening meal there still was one or two empty chairs at some table reserved for you to use and those empty chairs did not produce any hopes for income for the waiter. So what are tips too you, are really wages to the staff. It may not seem fair to you, but if you think about it in the form of a missing wage and not as a tip it will make more since. Now, if tips should be wages or not, then that is a whole different subject. But for now, for good or bad, tips are wages. OM
I understasnd that a lot of people feel they must pay the wages of the staff - I don't. I pay a gratuity for good service. I find it annoying when people try to tell me I have to give someone I've never met, never received a service from and haven't the slightest idea who they are a tip.

Hence, I will be removing the auto-tip on our Infinity cruise. There have only been one or two instances where we receive adequate and nothing more for service and therefore gave min. gratuity. We find that we usually get much better service than minimium and give gratuities accordingly.

However I have no interest in being told I am paying someone's wages. I did that when I bought my ticket.

If I choose not to eat in the dining room at all, I will tell the head waiter and I will not provide a gratuity. I will however give the earned gratuity to whomever does wait on me in whatever dining area I chose to dine in.

No you don't owe someone who does not provide you a service anything.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

To Felix, When you get back from your trip in May let us know what you find on the tipping policy. It seems that cruise ship policies change from month to month. I would like to know the latest info. Did you use auto tipping or not?? I hope you have a good trip. OM
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
To Felix, When you get back from your trip in May let us know what you find on the tipping policy. It seems that cruise ship policies change from month to month. I would like to know the latest info. Did you use auto tipping or not?? I hope you have a good trip. OM
Thank you - I will although I assume it's the same as it was in January. Auto-tipping with at least two ghost portions that made no sense at all. I hope they have the bugs worked out now though so that those of us who want to give gratuities ourselves will not have the hassle I saw last time.

BTW - I do have some well, cheapskates in this group and I will make sure they pay their gratuities whichever way they choose. Last time I took this group some of them withdrew their tips and yes, they did completely stiff the staff - by the time I found out there was nothing I could do about it - but it won't happen again.

See, I do believe in gratuities - just my choice.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.